ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

I tried their balls and gloves. both were fine. If I am in Costco I will grab gloves in the future. Not so sure about the balls.
2 years ago I read up on Kirkland balls and found they were almost identical, if not better, than the Titleist ProV1. I bought 2 packs of 24 for around 25 bucks each in the fall ($50 for 48 balls). They were sold out before Christmas. The balls were excellent, a steal for the price. I tried to buy some last year, they were going for 64 bucks a dozen. Unbelievable.

2 years ago I read up on Kirkland balls and found they were almost identical, if not better, than the Titleist ProV1. I bought 2 packs of 24 for around 25 bucks each in the fall ($50 for 48 balls). They were sold out before Christmas. The balls were excellent, a steal for the price. I tried to buy some last year, they were going for 64 bucks a dozen. Unbelievable.

Rick Sheils recently tested the new design Kirkland Signature balls which are made in China on his YouTube channel. He found that they are very comparable to the Titleist Pro V one for irons and woods. However, they were a little shorter distance wise on drives and seem to scuff more easily.

I’m calling bs on those Kirkland balls. My single digit buddy played them for a long time before we played in a tourney together. I made him use my ball, the AVX. He immediately noticed a difference in distance and ability to spin around the greens. He uses the AVX balls now too.

I’m calling bs on those Kirkland balls. My single digit buddy played them for a long time before we played in a tourney together. I made him use my ball, the AVX. He immediately noticed a difference in distance and ability to spin around the greens. He uses the AVX balls now too.
In all the tests I've seen, the original batch of KSigs had been comparable to the ProV1. Controlled environment electronic data capture, as well as on course testing. The new one, which is a different manufacturer and design, may be different.

For the average golfer, the Kirkland balls will be fine. They will better than Top Flites, but not quite as good as Pro-Vs, but for the average 15 handicap, there won't be a huge difference. Their game is not consistent enough.

My buddy swears by them, but he is also fairly cheap. One of these days I'll take a sleeve from him to try.

For the average golfer, the Kirkland balls will be fine. They will better than Top Flites, but not quite as good as Pro-Vs, but for the average 15 handicap, there won't be a huge difference. Their game is not consistent enough.

My buddy swears by them, but he is also fairly cheap. One of these days I'll take a sleeve from him to try.

Kirkland is now selling putters and 52,56 and 60 degree wedges.

http://www.golfwrx.com/623786/golfw...and-signature-wedges-on-usga-conforming-list/

Reactions: RUScrew85
I'm kind of surprised that they are really diving into this. The R&D on golf equipment moves pretty quickly, so its tough to see how they will stay competitive, unless they are using another manufacturer that couldn't compete with Titleist, Callaway, etc and just slapping the Kirkland name on it.

I'm kind of surprised that they are really diving into this. The R&D on golf equipment moves pretty quickly, so its tough to see how they will stay competitive, unless they are using another manufacturer that couldn't compete with Titleist, Callaway, etc and just slapping the Kirkland name on it.
...or they're contracting with one of the big boys to white label. they already have a pretty cozy relationship with Callaway.

Reactions: knightinaz
...or they're contracting with one of the big boys to white label. they already have a pretty cozy relationship with Callaway.

What would be the benefit to Callaway as I would think Kirkland brand would be cutting some of the market share of their main brand? Or do you think that they are just picking up share from Tommy Armor, Cobra, Top Flite? How low will Costco be selling the wedges? $50?

What would be the benefit to Callaway as I would think Kirkland brand would be cutting some of the market share of their main brand? Or do you think that they are just picking up share from Tommy Armor, Cobra, Top Flite? How low will Costco be selling the wedges? $50?
Selling more product without diluting their brand. But yes, knowing Costco's reputation for pushing out quality product vs DSG, who owns top flite and tommy armour, i would think that is the target market. Its not a stretch to say that very few Vokey players are going to switch over.

Seriously considering quitting the game. Can’t get my swing back after frozen shoulder. It’s not fun even with 2 transfusions and 6 Coors lights.

Selling more product without diluting their brand. But yes, knowing Costco's reputation for pushing out quality product vs DSG, who owns top flite and tommy armour, i would think that is the target market. Its not a stretch to say that very few Vokey players are going to switch over.

Walmart golfers will gobble these up imo. Selling prices expected to be around $69 each, or all 3 wedges for $200.

Do yourself a favor and play a high end ball / equipment if you really want to get better. There is a big difference. I played the lower/mid level balls for years. I thought I didn't need it and could save some $. I switched over to the high end balls, my handicap went from a 15 to 8 over the past 3-4 years. I can even tell the difference between the high end balls. I was loyal to Titleist Pro V1 and switched a few years ago to Taylormade TP5. I can tell the feel is different with this years version and went back to the Pro V1. Shot 77, 78 and 80 on my last 3 rounds.

Last edited:
Are they called Shotty Kamerons?
Shoddy Kameron Putters. Ha!
I don't see how they can compete with the major brands Titleist, Taylor Made, Callaway, Mizuno. They probably arent competing with the PXG & XXIO market. So are they trying to capture the beginner/novice market? I know Costco has a pretty loyal following so they probably price it appropriately to sell out whatever inventory they buy. I just can’t see it ending well if they put any kind of R & D $$ into it. Kinda like Nike Golf clubs. Gone like the dodo bird.

Last edited:
So I used to play 3x a week. Then had kids...went to 3x a month...then 3x a year...then not at all. My son is now 15 and decided to take up golf. So it brought be back out on the course and I've been quickly reminded why I was addicted to the game. Problem: my irons are Mizuno MP14's. I no longer have the skill to hit these blades consistently. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a set of irons for a "no longer low handicapper"?

On a different note, as my son got started, I bought him a used set of ping irons, gave him one of my old Titleist 983k drivers, and MY PUTTER. So I was playing through the spring with my wife's lefty putter. Couldn't stand 3 putting so much and picked up a used Oddessy Toulon. WOW is it sweet...highly recommend to anyone looking for a new putter.

So I used to play 3x a week. Then had kids...went to 3x a month...then 3x a year...then not at all. My son is now 15 and decided to take up golf. So it brought be back out on the course and I've been quickly reminded why I was addicted to the game. Problem: my irons are Mizuno MP14's. I no longer have the skill to hit these blades consistently. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a set of irons for a "no longer low handicapper"?

On a different note, as my son got started, I bought him a used set of ping irons, gave him one of my old Titleist 983k drivers, and MY PUTTER. So I was playing through the spring with my wife's lefty putter. Couldn't stand 3 putting so much and picked up a used Oddessy Toulon. WOW is it sweet...highly recommend to anyone looking for a new putter.
I am a Mizuno guy as well. Been playing their irons since 1990. I used to play the MP-33's and then switched to the MX-23's in the mid 2000's. I played the JPX 900's (my first set of non-forged irons) for a few seasons since I took a break from playing since I was coaching my kids and not playing as much. I figured I needed the extra help and was very inconsistent with them. Went back to the MX-23's and it was like throwing darts again. I got fitted a few years ago for the JPX 919 Forged. Love them. Mizuno is currently out of stock of 919 forged since they announced the JPX 921 will be released in September.

Since you played forged irons, it may be hard to go to cast clubs since they have limited feel. Mizuno does have the JPX 919 regular & Pro (cast) versions which I heard good things about. There are plenty of other good brands out there but once you play Mizuno irons, it's really hard to switch.

Reactions: RUevolution36
The inconsistency of golf drives me crazy. Last week, started off triple, triple, double, then even par the next 6 holes, for a 44 front. Getting out of position on holes then scrambling and making it worse.I need to figure out the mental part of the game. Anyone have tips on the mental side? Lose my focus way too often.

Also, what do you think of when you are setting up over the ball? Anyone have a good preshot routine that has helped that they want to share?

Art Carney used to say; 'Hello ball.'

I am in a BRUTAL rutt right now. I'll be playing along pretty well for me, 40-42 on the front, keeping that pace on the back 9... then WHAM! Suddenly start hitting flairs to right, foul balls that would scatter the first base dugout, wedges that go 160 yards no more than 5 feet off the ground...

The wedges I can deal with, but the others are all in my friggin head. I either lock my wrists at the top of my back swing or get too loose on the top. Its maddening. Playing this past Saturday, 41 on the front (with a double), and 3 over on the back through 6 holes... 100 yards from the green on 16, hit the flair into the water.. Next hole, hit a HR around Pesky Pole ( Fenway reference) into the water again.. 18 was no better after a decent drive. UGH.

Start at # 10 and play the back then the front....

TIP.? $4.58 is not a tip.Don't play the horses is a tip.:HeartEyes:

Friend and I were playing a ProAm at Manasquan River. Friends Caddy was talking up trotters all round. Friend gave him $1,500 for a piece of that trotter, GAWN....

That would work, except that the course I play (Neshanic Valley) has 3 nines, so the "back" nine changes.

I played yesterday (different course)... started out double, double, double, double, but then played the last 14 holes in 7 over.

Do yourself a favor and play a high end ball / equipment if you really want to get better. There is a big difference. I played the lower/mid level balls for years. I thought I didn't need it and could save some $. I switched over to the high end balls, my handicap went from a 15 to 8 over the past 3-4 years. I can even tell the difference between the high end balls. I was loyal to Titleist Pro V1 and switched a few years ago to Taylormade TP5. I can tell the feel is different with this years version and went back to the Pro V1. Shot 77, 78 and 80 on my last 3 rounds.

I agree, go to a PGA Pro, let him look at your swing, if you have one, and he can tell you what club, what swing weight, what shaft, what ball. ALL the goodies that you will want to replace your cut rate stuff from Chin-na when you get hooked.

You play better sooner, and actually save money in the long run.

I'm a 14 and recently picked up a set of Taylor Made M4's. Much more forgiving and a bigger sweet spot. Very happy with them.

Batts,
I live around the corner from The Knoll, in Montville. I'm 64, started playing in my mid 30's. I used to belong to Cedar Hill CC in Livingston, got down to around a 13 index. Got divorced years ago and now play mostly at Sunset Valley and my favorite public course, Berkshire Valley. I played there a couple years ago with my now 28 year old son and his 2 best friends. My son occasionally breaks 100 but on that day he got a hole in one on the 12th hole, witnessed by the 3 people he would most want to have witnessed it. It was a blast.
Played Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass with some buddies for my 50th and we were supposed to go back this October for our 65th which of course got cancelled. Pelican Bay in Newport Beach was a beautiful course. I go down the Delaware/Maryland area annually with a bunch of friends and love Baywood Green.
What days days do you typically play Sunset Valley? Before this year, I was usually there at some point almost every day of the week except Sunday. If you play there somewhat regularly I probably know you at least by face or swing LOL.

Reactions: batts
That would work, except that the course I play (Neshanic Valley) has 3 nines, so the "back" nine changes.

I played yesterday (different course)... started out double, double, double, double, but then played the last 14 holes in 7 over.
Holes 5 and 9 on the Ridge 9 are two of the very worst holes for me. On any course that I've played.

Holes 5 and 9 on the Ridge 9 are two of the very worst holes for me. On any course that I've played.

There’s a par 3 on our Sunday course playing 170-200 from the white tees, all carry over water with a usual cross wind or in your face. So many guys pull out a special ball for that hole, one that they don’t mind losing.

Reactions: ScarletNut
There’s a par 3 on our Sunday course playing 170-200 from the white tees, all carry over water with a usual cross wind or in your face. So many guys pull out a special ball for that hole, one that they don’t mind losing.
time for one of those extra distance top flite rocks...

Reactions: Knightmoves
I am a Mizuno guy as well. Been playing their irons since 1990. I used to play the MP-33's and then switched to the MX-23's in the mid 2000's. I played the JPX 900's (my first set of non-forged irons) for a few seasons since I took a break from playing since I was coaching my kids and not playing as much. I figured I needed the extra help and was very inconsistent with them. Went back to the MX-23's and it was like throwing darts again. I got fitted a few years ago for the JPX 919 Forged. Love them. Mizuno is currently out of stock of 919 forged since they announced the JPX 921 will be released in September.

Since you played forged irons, it may be hard to go to cast clubs since they have limited feel. Mizuno does have the JPX 919 regular & Pro (cast) versions which I heard good things about. There are plenty of other good brands out there but once you play Mizuno irons, it's really hard to switch.
You should try the MP20 HMB. Same specs (length and top line) as MX23. It’s cast 3-8 and forged 9 & per. I was going to get fitted for a set but won’t waste the money or time right now.

Reactions: Section124
What days days do you typically play Sunset Valley? Before this year, I was usually there at some point almost every day of the week except Sunday. If you play there somewhat regularly I probably know you at least by face or swing LOL.

I played a few times last year. I haven't played Sunset this year because it was hard to get Tee times. As a member of the Knoll, I can get Tee times in advance so I usually play there. Yesterday, I played 9 holes at the Deer Run Course. I had my worst game of the year. Today, my new M2 clubs are being delivered so hopefully I will get my game back.

I played a few times last year. I haven't played Sunset this year because it was hard to get Tee times. As a member of the Knoll, I can get Tee times in advance so I usually play there. Yesterday, I played 9 holes at the Deer Run Course. I had my worst game of the year. Today, my new M2 clubs are being delivered so hopefully I will get my game back.
I was a member at Knoll many years ago but none of my buddies wanted to play there so I gave up my membership. Ironically, our (wife and myself) first home was a townhouse in the Deer Run complex. It is how I got addicted to the game. I worked in Morris Plains and raced home to play 9 holes everyday while she went to gym or did some extra work stuff. Been playing like that for 30+ years.

If you ever had a foursome and for some reason wanted to play Sunset but couldn't get tee time let me know.

You should try the MP20 HMB. Same specs (length and top line) as MX23. It’s cast 3-8 and forged 9 & per. I was going to get fitted for a set but won’t waste the money or time right now.
I was just reading about those in Golf Magazine. I assumed they were all forged but will check them online and at the PGA Superstore.

I was just reading about those in Golf Magazine. I assumed they were all forged but will check them online and at the PGA Superstore.
They are defining forged like Taylormade. It’s a hollow club like P790. A lot of people use it as a driving iron. My understanding is that the 9 & PW is forged. It is supposed to be less forgiving than MX 23. Let me know your thoughts after you hit them.

Ahh, the new clubs will fix the old swing. A story that supports the golf equipment industry.

We are all victims to the quick fix in golf. That’s why we keep coming back for new equipment each season, ha!

Can’t wait till I get my hands on the new Callaway Mavrick driver.

Last edited:
Ahh, the new clubs will fix the old swing. A story that supports the golf equipment industry.

We are all victims to the quick fix in golf. That’s why we keep coming back for new equipment each season, ha!
I understand your point of view, but technology makes a difference. Same with many other products, even grass seed believe it or not! There is measurable progress in many fields.

#6 on the Ridge for me... I call it a very short par 5....

(For those that don’t know the course, it’s 200 yard par 3, with a lost ball on the left, bunker On the righ, and very difficult green)

Reactions: RUevolution36
https://golf.com/gear/golf-balls/costco-kirland-four-piece-golf-ball-refund/
That's because they violated Titleist patents. Once that was settled their next generation ball was garbage.
Not true. The original ball was a 4-pc ball that was excellent. The ball was being in South Korea by Nassau who also used to make TaylorMade balls. The ball was very similar but not identical to a Tour Preferred. I have heard it might have been a prototype design by TM that never was produced. Titleist sent Costco the usual nasty letter saying their typical BS which usually forces small companies to fold up shop. Costco said FU and sued Titleist. Titleist counter-sued claiming false advertising and some other BS. Nassau stopped making the ball for Costco so they got a new vendor who made a new 4-pc. The article you referenced was about that ball. It had cover cutting issues and Costco refunded everyone their money and told people to keep them. It was a decent ball but the cover had QC issues as it was poorly adhered to outer mantle layer.

In between those 4-pcs, Costco contracted a company from China to make a 3-pc ball for them. That is the ball Rick Shields tested. Frankly, I am not a huge fan. It has poor spin separation and therefore is a little shorter off tee and spins too much off full short irons and that makes it struggle into the wind. It is decent for 2 dz for $25 but not something I would play.

The original 4-pc is excellent and compared well with ProV1/X etc.

BTW, I still have over 20 dozen of the original 4-pc ball and all 4 dozen of the refunded ball. I also have 8 dozen of the 3-pc that I do not like....lol. People find it hard to believe how many golf balls I have...if you guessed it would not even be close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT