ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

They didn't compare. The Concepts are simply next level. And I love Mizunos. Playing the TMB's waiting for my Concepts to be finished. Unreal clubs.
I love the look of Titleist irons but for some reason they just never feel right to me. I am a Mizuno guy since 1990 so that is the biggest reason why. I used to use Titleist drivers until I got fitted for my original Callaway Epic driver. Best driver I ever owned and will never give it up. Long and a perfect baby draw. I use Titleist 818 hybrids, Vokey wedges and a Scotty Newport Select 2.5. Love that putter.

I love the look of Titleist irons but for some reason they just never feel right to me. I am a Mizuno guy since 1990 so that is the biggest reason why. I used to use Titleist drivers until I got fitted for my original Callaway Epic driver. Best driver I ever owned and will never give it up. Long and a perfect baby draw. I use Titleist 818 hybrids, Vokey wedges and a Scotty Newport Select 2.5. Love that putter.
The MP20 MB's are a work of art. Simple, elegant lines and that grain flow forged feel.

Once Taylor Made sold out of the golf equipment business I switched my brand to Callaway.

Bought Callaway Apex irons (love them) and Rogue woods and hybrids. Should have gone w Callaway Mavrik woods and hybrids in hindsight. That’s my next upgrade. I was an 8 HCP years ago but now playing at a 12.

The MP20 MB's are a work of art. Simple, elegant lines and that grain flow forged feel.
When I saw the picture, it looked just like my old MP-33's. I sold those to a college player from Michigan St in the mid-2000's. I didn't have the game anymore. That being said, nothing felt better than hitting those when on.

Once Taylor Made sold out of the golf equipment business I switched my brand to Callaway.

Bought Callaway Apex irons (love them) and Rogue woods and hybrids. Should have gone w Callaway Mavrik woods and hybrids in hindsight. That’s my next upgrade. I was an 8 HCP years ago but now playing at a 12.

Taylormade sold out of the Golf Equipment business??? since when?
You might want to let Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, Rory McIlroy, Tiger, and Jon Rahm know.

Not a finishing hole last 3 holes, but I think Rutgers 10th hole is one of the most difficult in NJ from the back tee. If you hit it right, you are blocked out by the big tree on the right. If you hook it, there's trees on the left. The green slopes from right to left with a bunker on the left and elevated green.
Have to agree with you there. Small landing area off the tee and have to hit the green. Most of the holes at Rutgers feel like if you are off some, you can still recover. Not the 10th!

You should give the course a try. The greens are also big breaking. The course is all about local knowledge. I have played TPC San Antonio a few times and have seen that ranked as the toughest course to putt on the PGA tour. I think many of Sunset’s greens are tougher than what I experienced at TPC.
Sounds nice! Most of the time these days I’m looking for the golf equivalent of bumpers on a bowling lane...

Last edited:
The future of golf? :

EeRFu5TWkAEAMft

In 2017 Adidas sold Taylor Made, Adams Golf and Ashworth to KPS Capital Partners for only 425M. The brand is on life support imo. That’s why I went to Callaway clubs and balls.

https://golf.com/gear/taylormade-golf-sold-for-425-million-to-kps-capital-partners-lp/

Gotcha. I didn’t realize private equity was involved. I don’t know if that’s good or bad for their R&D. Probably not good since the private equity will cut costs and try to maximize their ROI

Last edited:
The future of golf? :
Maybe yes, may be no. Many courses had limited success with the Segway. I have seen these on the Crystal Springs courses in Vernon & a few others. I have also been seeing guys using a single wheel they balance on and hover boards as well. Personally I like to walk a course. It's better for your game and health. When I play golf, for me its not about just hitting the ball around. It's taking in nature and the feeling of getting away from it all. Serenity now!
EeRFu5TWkAEAMft

Gotcha. I didn’t realize private equity was involved. I don’t know if that’s good or bad for their R&D. Probably not good since the private equity will cut costs and try to maximize their ROI
On the other hand, reigning in TaylorMade is a good thing. They were creating so many models every year it was getting ridiculous. A yearly replacement cycle for equipment causes buyer fatigue / confusion. I get why they do it but most people hold onto their clubs for years. At least 2 years would be better. For example, Callaway had a winner with the original Epic driver. Next year they "improve" it with the Rogue. Sales weren't so great and they come back the next year with the Epic II (pretty similar).

Reactions: red sail
On the other hand, reigning in TaylorMade is a good thing. They were creating so many models every year it was getting ridiculous. A yearly replacement cycle for equipment causes buyer fatigue / confusion. I get why they do it but most people hold onto their clubs for years. At least 2 years would be better. For example, Callaway had a winner with the original Epic driver. Next year they "improve" it with the Rogue. Sales weren't so great and they come back the next year with the Epic II (pretty similar).

Actually, Epic line is a continuation of the Big Bertha line. Rogue/Mavrik is an extension of the XR line. They are releasing new ones in those two lines every other year.

Love Titleist and especially the Concepts .they are next level from anything I’ve ever hit and I try to hit everything. I’m not a fan of their drivers or woods though. I just got the Mavrik Sub Zero, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid. More clubs that are super juiced. I am carrying 275 with my driver now. I was never able to do that with my Epic Flash. Probably getting 20 more yards now. Vokey wedges and a SC Golo 3 round out the bag.

For aesthetic beauty, Miuras are really pretty. My buddy plays them. Hard to hit but they look awesome.

Reactions: Section124
Only so much you can do without talent. It's the golfer, not the club.
For sure. But if you aren’t taking advantage of technological advancements, you’re an idiot. There is a reason Tiger isn’t hitting persimmon drivers even though he could.

For sure. But if you aren’t taking advantage of technological advancements, you’re an idiot. There is a reason Tiger isn’t hitting persimmon drivers even though he could.

Wait! Are you saying I should replace my hickory shaft clubs? What about the Gutta Percha golf balls? Are they out too?

Wait! Are you saying I should replace my hickory shaft clubs? What about the Gutta Percha golf balls? Are they out too?
I think you are talented enough to still play them.

Speaking of, played with a current RU lacrosse player two days ago at my club. Holy smokes. Kid was using an aged driver and hit a couple that had to be in the 340 range. Was pretty wild.

Reactions: knightfan7
Love to hate this game. Birdie on 1. 16 crappy holes. Eagle on 18. Jarred it from 120. Played worst golf in years for 16 holes.

A former cart girl's ranking of the top 12 drinks to have on the golf course :

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-former-cart-girl-ranks-the-top-12-drinks-to-have-on-the-course

I though the beverage cart girl at my club was just so nice, but she was still in high school. 4 years later her Brother came to work with me. I asked what she was doing. "Just graduating college, and broke up with her boyfriend." I told Mad Dog (son #1) about her. A week later Mad Dog had a date with her and a year later married her.

Only so much you can do without talent. It's the golfer, not the club.

Lee Trevino used to win long drive contests at the driving range he worked at back in the day.

Take on all comers with whatever club they wanted.

HE used an old style Coke bottle taped to a shaft.

Reactions: batts
Love to hate this game. Birdie on 1. 16 crappy holes. Eagle on 18. Jarred it from 120. Played worst golf in years for 16 holes.

After hitting well for a few weeks, I got into a terrible slump where I started topping my balls. Turns out, I was moving and lifting my lead foot during my swing. I would have a perfect practice swing but on the actual swing my lead foot was doing the Irish jig. I have since worked very hard in keeping that lead leg planted to the extent I was getting terrible leg cramps in my calf at night from overuse. Moral of the story is to ask your golfing buddies if they notice any flaws in your swing mechanics when you’re slumping on the course.

After hitting well for a few weeks, I got into a terrible slump where I started topping my balls. Turns out, I was moving and lifting my lead foot during my swing. I would have a perfect practice swing but on the actual swing my lead foot was doing the Irish jig. I have since worked very hard in keeping that lead leg planted to the extent I was getting terrible leg cramps in my calf at night from overuse. Moral of the story is to ask your golfing buddies if they notice any flaws in your swing mechanics when you’re slumping on the course.
Had a lesson earlier in the week. I know what I’m doing wrong from 17 different angles on video. Can’t stop it!!!

Reactions: RutgHoops
Had a lesson earlier in the week. I know what I’m doing wrong from 17 different angles on video. Can’t stop it!!!

Lol. So true! I wish I would listen to myself When I’m playing golf. I say to myself before every swing: “swing easy and don’t move your feet.” Of course, I give it the old grand slam baseball swing and I do a hop, skip and a jump with my feet.

Last edited:
Lol. So true! I wish I would listen to myself When I’m playing golf. I say to myself before every swing: “swing easy and don’t move your feet.” Of course, I give it the old grand slam baseball swing and I do a hop, skip and a jump with my feet.

So true. We can make a nice and relaxed practice swing, but then it’s the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded and 3-2 pitch on the way for the next swing.

That’s also why we hit the ball better on the practice range than on the course. One swing counts and the other does not.

COVID having reverse impacts to golf. All my favorite tracks are packed in SoCal. I use to find an open slot particularly later in the day and squeeze in 18 under three hours. Not anymore. I’m lucky to find a single any day of the week and you gotta expect to walk. I think courses increased time between foursomes so that does not help.

Many foursomes have four carts and with flags staying in and no rakes you’d think it would increase play a bit. I also suspect there are more high handicappers out there.

I’m not hitting the same tracks as CaliKnight, so not sure if privates are also impacted.

Sadly, with my older age and reduced flexibility my game is suffering. Used to play to single digits and hopeful it’ll return. Love my Mizuno irons and Cal FT woods but time to find new sticks with regular shaft flex.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtung230
COVID having reverse impacts to golf. All my favorite tracks are packed in SoCal. I use to find an open slot particularly later in the day and squeeze in 18 under three hours. Not anymore. I’m lucky to find a single any day of the week and you gotta expect to walk. I think courses increased time between foursomes so that does not help.

Many foursomes have four carts and with flags staying in and no rakes you’d think it would increase play a bit. I also suspect there are more high handicappers out there.

I’m not hitting the same tracks as CaliKnight, so not sure if privates are also impacted.

Sadly, with my older age and reduced flexibility my game is suffering. Used to play to single digits and hopeful it’ll return. Love my Mizuno irons and Cal FT woods but time to find new sticks with regular shaft flex.
At least you are still playing. A day on the golf course is better than any other day as far as I know.

Reactions: wisr01
Incredible day. So many stories. I joined the coverage around the 8th hole. What's was the greeting between Phil and Bones on the first hole? The first time since their split they shared a round together as Bones just filled in today. What's with Phil wearing sunglasses too? Just a endorsement deal? I've never seen him wear sunglasses before.

One of my Nephews thought he was a great striker of the ball.
(But is actuality he's a muscle head).

So my Dad's club had a pro am with a long drive contest. Way up in the Adirondacks and he and his Wife lived in Philly.

He struts out onto the t-box. Takes some mighty practice swings. With a Driver with a head on it the size of a cantaloupe.

Swings, a mighty blow, smack a loud sound.
The crowd gasps and then bursts out laughing. He had the ball teed up too high and had got under it too much and it went straight up, high, higher till it dropped onto the ladies tee box about 20 yards out.

He bent the driver, walked off the course and when we looked for him later he was nowhere to be found. We finally figured out that he had packed his bag and driven back to Philly. Which wouldn't have been that big a deal, if he had taken his Wife with him or at least let her know it was time to leave.

She divorced him a few months later. (It was Wife # 2 out of now 6 ((if you count married one girl twice....if not it's 5))))

Incredible day. So many stories. I joined the coverage around the 8th hole. What's was the greeting between Phil and Bones on the first hole? The first time since their split they shared a round together as Bones just filled in today. What's with Phil wearing sunglasses too? Just a endorsement deal? I've never seen him wear sunglasses before.
He has been wearing sunglasses for a month or so now. But those are the first times I’ve ever seen him with them. What was the story with the Phil and Bones breakup?

Friend that ran a PGA tour event on an island was complaining to me; "It's not so bad when they complain about their accomodations but when I have to pay their private jet fuel it's a little much "....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT