ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

COVID having reverse impacts to golf. All my favorite tracks are packed in SoCal. I use to find an open slot particularly later in the day and squeeze in 18 under three hours. Not anymore. I’m lucky to find a single any day of the week and you gotta expect to walk. I think courses increased time between foursomes so that does not help.

Many foursomes have four carts and with flags staying in and no rakes you’d think it would increase play a bit. I also suspect there are more high handicappers out there.

I’m not hitting the same tracks as CaliKnight, so not sure if privates are also impacted.

Sadly, with my older age and reduced flexibility my game is suffering. Used to play to single digits and hopeful it’ll return. Love my Mizuno irons and Cal FT woods but time to find new sticks with regular shaft flex.

There is definitely more play at my club and those I am playing, but it's not bad. Played Bel Air yesterday in 3.5 hours in a foursome and we took our time at the turn. Shot 82. Ready for Castle Pines and Pebble!

Who you got?

I am in a small pool - 8 entries, snake draft, pick four players each, total net score after throwing out your weakest player.

My squad - Rory, Schauffele, Berger and Ancer. Was thrilled to get my 2nd and 3rd picks as both are legit threats this week.

looking forward to prime time golf this wkd

Like X, Berger, and Ancer as T25s or better for all of them. Rory is not in form, so that’s a bit of a risk.

JT and Koepka are the BIG time favorites.

Put some money on Koepka, Cantlay, Webb Simpson, Xander, Morikawa and Wolff.

Also playing a round myself today. We'll see if i can beat my last round disaster of 120.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Taylormade Tour Response
Wilson Duo Professional (great ball that flies under the radar)
Vice Pro Soft
Bridgestone Tour B RX

Whats your opinion on the Bridgestone Tour B RX? Played one yesterday for first time and really liked it. Was playing Taylormade TP5x so picked up a bunch of the bridgestones and will give them a shot.

Whats your opinion on the Bridgestone Tour B RX? Played one yesterday for first time and really liked it. Was playing Taylormade TP5x so picked up a bunch of the bridgestones and will give them a shot.
Good ball. To be honest I used to play Bridgestone but went back to other brands. I believe the Tour B RX is similar to a Pro V1 or TM TP5 (not the Pro V1X or TP5x). You may have liked it because it's slightly softer. I don't find as many Bridgestone balls on the course as I used to. I always find Titleist and Callaway (and even TaylorMade now).

Reactions: rcube1994
Was never a fan of the Tour B RX until this year's version. They improved their cover to enhance full wedge and greenside spin. If it fits your game and it feels good play it. FYI, Titleist just released a ball today to compete with Tour B RX (and other sims) called Tour Speed. You might want to give that a try as it is also only $40 vs normal Pro V1 prices. Also, the development/experimental version of the Tour Speed called EXP-01 is now on sale at Dicks for $30. It will be very similar for $10 less. The EXP-01 was used to gather feedback from players and was slightly modified to become the Tour Speed. Very close and a good ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcube1994
Got back last night from two rounds at Oakmont and two rounds at Laurel Valley. As someone who has played about 50 of the top 100 courses I can say there isn't a better course I've played than Oakmont. In absolutely perfect shape right now. And Laurel Valley is really, really good.

I always say; "Don't look for a lost ball. Those damn things want to get lost. Finding one is just bad karma."

Reactions: RutgHoops
TaylorMade really stepping up. Their new P7 series irons are game changers. Was thinking JPX 921 or hmb but will definitely give the P770 a shot.

TaylorMade really stepping up. Their new P7 series irons are game changers. Was thinking JPX 921 or hmb but will definitely give the P770 a shot.
What @RUevolution36 said. Every time I go to get fitted or test irons, I always try the TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, etc. forged offerings. They never feel the same at the Mizuno irons and I pass. The next set I want to test out are the Srixon z585/z785. I played with a guy that had the driving iron and it was nice. Obviously Miura is another great option (and gold standard).

Got back last night from two rounds at Oakmont and two rounds at Laurel Valley. As someone who has played about 50 of the top 100 courses I can say there isn't a better course I've played than Oakmont. In absolutely perfect shape right now. And Laurel Valley is really, really good.
Western Pennsylvania has great golf courses

I don’t care what club is in your hands, the only time they make any difference is when you make a good swing and hit the ball solid.
For us amateurs, that includes a ball you hit a little on the toe.
So congratulations on having a good swing and making pretty solid contact with a square to the arc club face, because without that those clubs will do nothing for you.
Some of the swings I’m making with my irons right now after 300 yard drives are so bad, it wouldn’t matter what piece of equipment was in my hands...lol

As the age old saying says “it ain’t the arrow it’s the Indian”

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I just bought brand new clubs. They don’t make a damn bit of difference When your swing is off.

I feel your pain. I just bought brand new clubs. They don’t make a damn bit of difference When your swing is off.
You gotta love that forgiving, game changing hybrid from the rough that doesn’t work when you’re over the top and hit 3 inches behind the ball...lol

Reactions: batts
You gotta love that forgiving, game changing hybrid from the rough that doesn’t work when you’re over the top and hit 3 inches behind the ball...lol

Maybe you'd spend less time in the rough if you weren't busting your shoe lases trying to hit 300 yard drives Bryson?

Just a thought:Wink:

Reactions: zappaa

You must have seen me play yesterday. Lol

I don’t care what club is in your hands, the only time they make any difference is when you make a good swing and hit the ball solid.
For us amateurs, that includes a ball you hit a little on the toe.
So congratulations on having a good swing and making pretty solid contact with a square to the arc club face, because without that those clubs will do nothing for you.
Some of the swings I’m making with my irons right now after 300 yard drives are so bad, it wouldn’t matter what piece of equipment was in my hands...lol

As the age old saying says “it ain’t the arrow it’s the Indian”
That’s because Indians don’t have laser guided arrows.

The course was flexing its muscles at the US Amateur for the semi. Thought Gupta was going to pull off an amazing comeback. Those bunker shots were very similar to my swing, terrible.

The course was flexing its muscles at the US Amateur for the semi. Thought Gupta was going to pull off an amazing comeback. Those bunker shots were very similar to my swing, terrible.
That was a craptastic finish for both pairings. Fun to watch.

Interesting read on what happens behind the scenes in order to protect a president to golf.
https://nypost.com/2020/08/15/how-the-secret-service-protects-the-presidents-golf-game/

I find it amazing that Eisenhower played 800 rounds during 2 terms in office. That’s 100 rounds a year !!!!! Article said he played Wednesday and Saturdays every week.

Wilson also loved the game. It there was snow on the White House grounds he would use practice balls painted black.

Of all the great Bandon courses, the one that just hosted the amateur should be called “The Chasm Course”
The amount of penalty area trouble is crazy

Interesting read on what happens behind the scenes in order to protect a president to golf.
https://nypost.com/2020/08/15/how-the-secret-service-protects-the-presidents-golf-game/

I find it amazing that Eisenhower played 800 rounds during 2 terms in office. That’s 100 rounds a year !!!!! Article said he played Wednesday and Saturdays every week.

I played at Caves Valley in Maryland in 2016 and had dinner with the director of golf (he was actually the first "Vice Captain" on the Ryder Cup, but then it was a real job). He told several stories about the Presidents that came to play there because the course was something like 25 minutes from DC, about the SS coming in before hand and everything they did and needed. He also gave some good stories about them... Obama was incredibly gracious, both GW. Bush and GH Bush were extremely friendly with other people there, but Bill Clinton was a big jerk, acting as if everyone there was just a servant to take care of him (something Obama and Bush did not).
He told a great story though about the biggest a-hole... and that was Hilary Clintons brother (the less successful one). He demanded that the club close the restaurant so he and his buddies could eat without anyone bothering them. The GM kindly pointed to a table in the corner where Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken were sitting and explained that those two were far more identifiable in Maryland than he was and no one was bothering them."

Put some money on Koepka, Cantlay, Webb Simpson, Xander, Morikawa and Wolff.

Also playing a round myself today. We'll see if i can beat my last round disaster of 120.

I watched a bit of the US Am. After watching really good golfers struggle mightily I can't imagine what I'd shoot at Brandon Dunes. 120 may be a good start lol.

Webb Simpson is always worth a look. Since the 1st of the year he's been Top 10 in 7 of 12 tourneys with 2 wins.

I played at Caves Valley in Maryland in 2016 and had dinner with the director of golf (he was actually the first "Vice Captain" on the Ryder Cup, but then it was a real job). He told several stories about the Presidents that came to play there because the course was something like 25 minutes from DC, about the SS coming in before hand and everything they did and needed. He also gave some good stories about them... Obama was incredibly gracious, both GW. Bush and GH Bush were extremely friendly with other people there, but Bill Clinton was a big jerk, acting as if everyone there was just a servant to take care of him (something Obama and Bush did not).
He told a great story though about the biggest a-hole... and that was Hilary Clintons brother (the less successful one). He demanded that the club close the restaurant so he and his buddies could eat without anyone bothering them. The GM kindly pointed to a table in the corner where Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken were sitting and explained that those two were far more identifiable in Maryland than he was and no one was bothering them."

Dennis always has great stories to share. He is a good one. There are better golf courses than Caves Valley, but I am not sure there is a better "golf experience" than spending a day or two at Caves Valley.

Dennis always has great stories to share. He is a good one. There are better golf courses than Caves Valley, but I am not sure there is a better "golf experience" than spending a day or two at Caves Valley.

His stories about being that Ryder Cup are fantastic. A great story teller, and I'm sure he has shared them a 1000 times.

ADVERTISEMENT