ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

batts

All American
Jun 7, 2001
Since there is a good chance we may not have much in the way of college and professional sports due to the Covid 19 Virus, we might as well have an ongoing thread about Golf. Topics can include discussions on what courses do you play, types of clubs, PGA play, favorite Youtube instructors, etc.

I'm in my 60s and started playing 2 years ago and I am now addicted to the game. When I'm on the course, I only think about my game, and no other stressing events in my life. Up until this week I was playing with 20 year old clubs that a client's widow gave to me. I just purchased Taylor-Made M2 Irons and Rescue Woods from Dicks. I live in Parsippany and therefore joined the Knoll, which is owned by the Township, for 50% membership fee reduction.

Since there is a good chance we may not have much in the way of college and professional sports due to the Covid 19 Virus, we might as well have an ongoing thread about Golf. Topics can include discussions on what courses do you play, types of clubs, PGA play, favorite Youtube instructors, etc.

I'm in my 60s and started playing 2 years ago and I am now addicted to the game. When I'm on the course, I only think about my game, and no other stressing events in my life. Up until this week I was playing with 20 year old clubs that a client's widow gave to me. I just purchased Taylor-Made M2 Irons and Rescue Woods from Dicks. I live in Parsippany and therefore joined the Knoll, which is owned by the Township, for 50% membership fee reduction.

I started playing about 3 years ago. Currently at a 15 index. I have become fully addicted too. Am a member of 1 golf club and about to join another. I have some connected friends that have let me tag along to some unreal places. Namely Madison Club in La Quinta and a few others. If there is a better experience out there than that, I'd like to see it. Their "comfort stations" are legendary. Flying out next week to play Castle Pines which will undoubtedly be memorable. Jack Nicklaus is supposed to join for dinner one night. Can't wait. Pebble coming up soon. Like I said, addicted!

LIke most golfers, I've become a gear head. Currently playing Titleist TMB's, but am waiting on the Titleist Concept 1's. I can't believe how the ball jumps off of those clubs. Those things are so hot it's ridiculous.

Put Mavrik Sub Zero, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid in my bag. Those things are super hot too. Putter is a Scotty Camerson GoLo 3. No plans on changing that out.

Something about hitting that ball. The more I play the more I want to. Been cutting into my surf time that's for sure.

Reactions: red sail and batts
Another great thing about golf for me is that I also got my 28 year old son interested in playing as well. He's only been playing for a year and half and he is 10 strokes better than me. I helped coach him in baseball and soccer from 6 years old on. Now, we can stay connected through golf.

Yea, I play with a father and son as part of my regular group. Dad is an 8 and the son is a +3. Man is he something to watch. Helps playing with better plays. You excel much quicker I have learned. The Dad is super stoked as he told me. It gets him and his son together every weekend when they might not otherwise have. Great bonding time. Enjoy!

+3? Basically shooting 67-69 every round? Wow.

I'm a Somerset County guy, usually playing Neshanic, but love getting to some of the other courses around the state.

My 13 year old son just took a big interest in the game and i LOVE that he wants to play. Trying to teach him not only the game, but HOW to play the game. Its ok to move the ball for him now since he is just learning the swing, etc, has to pick up occasionally to keep the pace going, etc. Man... the look on his face when he hits a great shot is priceless.

I'm easily 5 shots better when I am playing with my buddies for $10 a side than when I am playing with a couple of strangers on a Saturday morning.

I've been playing for about 30 years now. I've been fortunate enough to play 15 of the Golf Digest top 100 courses in the US. 8 in the top 25. It's been kind of a bucket list thing to keep trying to knock off another on my list every other year. Some people like to hit ball parks, I like seeing a new golf course! It's a great game for life. I started to get my kids interested in the game but not enough for them to care yet. They want to be hitting something thats moving!
Favorite golf trip has been in Ireland!! If you ever get the chance to play there, I highly recommend it. We flew into shannon and played Adare Manor, Lahinch, Doonbeg, Ballybunion, Tralee, and Old Head. Some courses in Scotland are on my bucket list also.

Last edited:
So many great courses to play in NJ. Most county courses are very good and many world-class private courses. Playing Bay course at Seaview with my son this week - fun & unique course and great bonding time. Grew up in Monmouth County - some great tracks there like Hominy Hill and Howell Park.

Last edited:
Reactions: batts and red sail
So many great courses to play in NJ. Grew up in Monmouth County - some great tracks there like Hominy Hill and Howell Park.
I spent a couple summers in Bay Head. I loved playing Hominy and Howell. Those are 2 of the best public courses in NJ. You mentioned SeaView, I got free tickets to the ladies shoprite classic. Sat up in Wakefern's VIP tent and basically just drank and ate the whole time we were there. Never saw the course other than 18 green! I haven't played there yet but I hear both courses are really nice too. I've played Galloway a couple times. Nice course and views of AC but the greenheads there were brutal because of the bay I'm told.

+3? Basically shooting 67-69 every round? Wow.

I'm a Somerset County guy, usually playing Neshanic, but love getting to some of the other courses around the state.

My 13 year old son just took a big interest in the game and i LOVE that he wants to play. Trying to teach him not only the game, but HOW to play the game. Its ok to move the ball for him now since he is just learning the swing, etc, has to pick up occasionally to keep the pace going, etc. Man... the look on his face when he hits a great shot is priceless.

I'm easily 5 shots better when I am playing with my buddies for $10 a side than when I am playing with a couple of strangers on a Saturday morning.

Yea, he is a former college golfer. We played in a tourney at Shady Canyon in Orange Co. which is another incredible track. We won the tourney. I had a day shooting below my HC which at the time was 20 and he went off the rails. Shot 63 and eagled every par 5. Never saw anything like it and still haven't. Funny thing is he only hit 4 fairways. He was turning defense into offense like nobody's business.

As I always bust his balls, he should be this good. He grew up on a course and was playing as soon as he could stand. If there is one regret I have it's that I didn't start playing earlier.

We play for jackets every Sunday. It's funny how competitive it gets. Even for $1.00 any amount of money changes focus. I don't like to play for big money but I like to play for some money.

Reactions: red sail
California has some beautiful courses> I caught the golf bug after my first trip west coast golf trip with my wife. Played Pebble & Spanish Bay. I had the chance to play Riviera but I couldn't justify paying $750 for the round plus caddy fees. I played Trump LA and Pellican Hill instead. In San Diego, I played both Torrey Pines North and South.

Golf is a great game. I just spent 4 days in the NC mountains getting away from the FL heat and covid crap. Drinking, smoking cigars and cooking out with some friends. A bunch of old farts playing 27 a day and betting on everything.

Played a decent little course that was re-doing the driving range so the first tee was temporarily where the womans tee is making it a 235 par 4. I hit my 3 wood to 18 inches for the tap in eagle. Yeah it was a BS eagle but it was my second.

Stuff like that is what golf give back to you. Fun with friends and family.

Growing up I played Essex Co CC where I caddied from 9th to 11th grade. I also played Frances Byrne which at the time was owned by the CC under the name of Essex Co West.

As an adult the courses I mostly played were Byrne, Flanders Valley, Cranbury, Farmstead, Apple Mountain, and Pinch Brook.

My absolute favorite area to play is Myrtle Beach. The gang took yearly trips for almost 20 years. I probably played close to half the courses which at one time was well over 90. Down there my favorites were Caledonia, Barefoot - Fazio, Oyster Bay, and Dunes Club.

I've hardly played in years due to back issues but did play Bel Aire 3 times last summer with my son who had taken up the game. First hole (abt 100yds) the first time we played I stepped up with a PW and put it 12-15 feet from the pin. Lipped the birdie putt for a par. Should have quit right there. On the positive side I'm 3-0 vs him lol.

Growing up I played Essex Co CC where I caddied from 9th to 11th grade. I also played Frances Byrne which at the time was owned by the CC under the name of Essex Co West.

As an adult the courses I mostly played were Byrne, Flanders Valley, Cranbury, Farmstead, Apple Mountain, and Pinch Brook.

My absolute favorite area to play is Myrtle Beach. The gang took yearly trips for almost 20 years. I probably played close to half the courses which at one time was well over 90. Down there my favorites were Caledonia, Barefoot - Fazio, Oyster Bay, and Dunes Club.

I've hardly played in years due to back issues but did play Bel Aire 3 times last summer with my son who had taken up the game. First hole (abt 100yds) the first time we played I stepped up with a PW and put it 12-15 feet from the pin. Lipped the birdie putt for a par. Should have quit right there. On the positive side I'm 3-0 vs him lol.
i'm mentioned it before...but man, i hate pinch brook.

Golf is a great game. I just spent 4 days in the NC mountains getting away from the FL heat and covid crap. Drinking, smoking cigars and cooking out with some friends. A bunch of old farts playing 27 a day and betting on everything.

Played a decent little course that was re-doing the driving range so the first tee was temporarily where the womans tee is making it a 235 par 4. I hit my 3 wood to 18 inches for the tap in eagle. Yeah it was a BS eagle but it was my second.

Stuff like that is what golf give back to you. Fun with friends and family.

Played a new course (2 months old) this past weekend in Lakewood Ranch, FL. No 8 was a par 3, 150 yards uphill to the green with the flag in front. Chose my 150 club and hit a stinger into the front crown of the green. Those types of shots usually end up checking up short into the hill or sculling over the back of the green.

Only after driving up to the green in the cart that I saw the ball had found the hole. Lucky doesn’t describe that tee ball finding the cup. What a game!

As a relative beginner, I set goals for myself at various stages of my development.

First stage: stop topping the ball.
Second stage: stop topping the damn ball!
Current stage: hit 15 to 25 solid fairway shots and loft the ball onto the green 3 or 4 times.

Just played ECCC last Thursday. That course is a beast. Who you golf with makes it special. Playing a nice course is an added bonus.

As a relative beginner, I set goals for myself at various stages of my development.

Current stage: hit 15 to 25 solid fairway shots and loft the ball onto the green 3 or 4 times.

"Hit down on that shit". Best advice I've ever gotten.

You are overthinking it. You only need 18 good fairway shots. That’s it.

Reactions: biker7766 and batts
Just played ECCC last Thursday. That course is a beast. Who you golf with makes it special. Playing a nice course is an added bonus.

I sure someone told you 1-6 are the original Tillinghast design then the course changes. My favorite holes were 1, 6, 11, 13, and 17. 18 is nice but when your memories of it is carrying 2 bags that weigh more than you up that hill....

Reactions: beaced
Just played my Member-Member at my golf course out West. We have 5 members who play/have played on the PGA tour. 35 out of 300 (or so) members carry a 3 or lower handicap. I am a fanatic golfer, carry about an 8 handicap and play in multiple club sponsored events each year (member-guests, member-members, Pro-Ams) and I saw something I had never seen before.

With 69 teams entered We played the blue/white combo tees. Format was: Day 1 scramble, Day 2 better ball. At least 20% of the field were giving strokes back to the course. Low Gross was -20. Low Net was -15. Low gross was lower than low net! My partner (a 5) and I shot -1 gross and finished T-25 gross in the field. Crazy!

Just played my Member-Member at my golf course out West. We have 5 members who play/have played on the PGA tour. 35 out of 300 (or so) members carry a 3 or lower handicap. I am a fanatic golfer, carry about an 8 handicap and play in multiple club sponsored events each year (member-guests, member-members, Pro-Ams) and I saw something I had never seen before.

With 69 teams entered We played the blue/white combo tees. Format was: Day 1 scramble, Day 2 better ball. At least 20% of the field were giving strokes back to the course. Low Gross was -20. Low Net was -15. Low gross was lower than low net! My partner (a 5) and I shot -1 gross and finished T-25 gross in the field. Crazy!
My buddy is a 14. Playing in a match play tourney against one of our clubs best. He is getting 18 pops.

That’s some crazy good golf. Unreal.

My buddy is a 14. Playing in a match play tourney against one of our clubs best. He is getting 18 pops.

That’s some crazy good golf. Unreal.

That's crazy that some amateur golfers are +4. That's some crazy good golf is right!

A bad day on the golf course is better than any day in the office. It’s one of those sports that you just never stop learning about and trying to improve.

Finally got fitted for my first set of irons this year. Wilson D7’s. Belong to a pretty decent club in Pennsylvania and I’ve had the opportunity to play so many courses over the years and take a trip to Pinehurst every year with some ex-work buddies. Have a hole in one, which was special.

Play with a friend and son. He’s a +1 and his son is a -5 (plays collegiately). Joy to watch them. Store this name away....Matthew Vital.
14 year old and was the youngest qualifier ever for the Pennsylvania amateur last month. Has a twin brother but he’s the better player (not by much). Only 5’4” 125 but can drive the ball 320.

I sure someone told you 1-6 are the original Tillinghast design then the course changes. My favorite holes were 1, 6, 11, 13, and 17. 18 is nice but when your memories of it is carrying 2 bags that weigh more than you up that hill....
The back 9 is the star. I felt bad for my caddie because I was spraying it everywhere. He definitely earned the tip.

Myrtle Beach is a great buddy trip destination. Used to go down there with HS/College buddies for years ... .up until guys wive's started having babies!!!! then we slowly dropped from 20-24 guys to 4-8 guys... ha!

Last edited:
Myrtle Beach is a great buddy trip destination. Used to go down there with HS/College buddies for years ... .up until guys wive's started having babies!!!! then we slowly dropped from 20-24 guys to 4-8 guys... ha!
As we've gotten older (lol), the trips are more about golf, conversation, good cigars, scotch and watching sports together between the rounds. Myrtle Beach is good if you need more entertainment, but Pinehurst is great for the variety of courses and easy going locals. We don't even play the Pinehurst courses anymore, but opt for Mid-Pines, Pine Needles, Dormey, Mid-South, Tobacco Road, etc. Some great tracts. AirBnB a house and settle in for the three/four days. (We only do one 36 hole day now...used to do back-to-back). Another great long weekend trip is Williamsburg, VA. Golden Horseshoe, Kingsmill, etc.

My favorite golf themed Youtube personality is Rick Sheils. His videos are instructive and interesting.

The Youtube instructor who has helped my game the most is Tom Saguto. Tom can be over the top obnoxious at times but his videos make the game much simpler for me.

Reactions: Knightmoves
My favorite golf themed Youtube personality is Rick Sheils. His videos are instructive and interesting.

The Youtube instructor who has helped my game the most is Tom Saguto. Tom can be over the top obnoxious at times but his videos make the game much simpler for me.

Batts,
I live around the corner from The Knoll, in Montville. I'm 64, started playing in my mid 30's. I used to belong to Cedar Hill CC in Livingston, got down to around a 13 index. Got divorced years ago and now play mostly at Sunset Valley and my favorite public course, Berkshire Valley. I played there a couple years ago with my now 28 year old son and his 2 best friends. My son occasionally breaks 100 but on that day he got a hole in one on the 12th hole, witnessed by the 3 people he would most want to have witnessed it. It was a blast.
Played Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass with some buddies for my 50th and we were supposed to go back this October for our 65th which of course got cancelled. Pelican Bay in Newport Beach was a beautiful course. I go down the Delaware/Maryland area annually with a bunch of friends and love Baywood Green.

Last edited:
As we've gotten older (lol), the trips are more about golf, conversation, good cigars, scotch and watching sports together between the rounds. Myrtle Beach is good if you need more entertainment, but Pinehurst is great for the variety of courses and easy going locals. We don't even play the Pinehurst courses anymore, but opt for Mid-Pines, Pine Needles, Dormey, Mid-South, Tobacco Road, etc. Some great tracts. AirBnB a house and settle in for the three/four days. (We only do one 36 hole day now...used to do back-to-back). Another great long weekend trip is Williamsburg, VA. Golden Horseshoe, Kingsmill, etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find more diverse layouts than along the Strand. We did consider switching over to Pinehurst but never got around to it before we stopped taking the trip in '10.

I just started playing consistently this year. I'm hooked but its such a frustrating game. I hit it well at the range and then get on the course and cant get the ball in the air. Best I've shot so far is 105. My goal for the year is to break 100.

Signed up for the George Gankas online academy site a few weeks ago and have made some swing changes which I've had great results with at the range so far. Excited for my next round where I forget everything from the range and shoot 120.

I just started playing consistently this year. I'm hooked but its such a frustrating game. I hit it well at the range and then get on the course and cant get the ball in the air. Best I've shot so far is 105. My goal for the year is to break 100.

Signed up for the George Gankas online academy site a few weeks ago and have made some swing changes which I've had great results with at the range so far. Excited for my next round where I forget everything from the range and shoot 120.
I think the online stuff is great but if you are starting, invest in some lessons from a pro. You would never believe how important things like the grip, setup and takeaway is. Those are things a pro can identify and fix very quickly. Video may show you how to do things but people often just don't get it right.

If you work it I don't think its very hard to break 90 but you need professional help to get you there-- to set the foundational stuff. I tried it myself for years. Started taking lessons and am now an 11. Played like crap for the last 3 or 4 rounds (90+) after shooting my all time low score of 74 3 weeks ago. I have a lesson tomorrow because I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

Batts,
I live around the corner from The Knoll, in Montville. I'm 64, started playing in my mid 30's. I used to belong to Cedar Hill CC in Livingston, got down to around a 13 index. Got divorced years ago and now play mostly at Sunset Valley and my favorite public course, Berkshire Valley. I played there a couple years ago with my now 28 year old son and his 2 best friends. My son occasionally breaks 100 but on that day he got a hole in one on the 12th hole, witnessed by the 3 people he would most want to have witnessed it. It was a blast.
Played Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass with some buddies for my 50th and we were supposed to back this October for our 65th which of course got cancelled. Pelican Bay in Newport Beach was beautiful course. I go down the Delaware/Maryland are annually with a bunch of friends and love Baywood Green.

ScarletNut, I am also 64 and my son is also 28.

Sunset Valley and Berkshire Valley are beautiful courses. I have a friend who lives in the Deer Run Townhouses in Lincoln Park. We play there once a week. It's a nice 9 hole course.

I ordered my M2 irons and hybrids online from Dicks on Sunday. I should be getting them on Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't wait!

Reactions: ScarletNut
I play Ping woods and irons, G30's, Cleveland sand and lob wedges and a Pyramid putter that I bought from an infomercial that I really like. I got my shafts refitted at a place in Morristown. You'd be surprised how much of an improvement custom shafts can have on your game once you become a little more consistent. Golf stores usually offer just 3 types of shafts, whereas this place fitted me from about 50 different shaft weights and flexes.

take it from a self taught golfer, go get professional lessons. Guys I play with that made real improvements all took lessons. The guys that don't take lesson (me included) could have a great season followed by a WTF season. The example above about hitting down is perfect. I was given that tip and it helped with less thin or topping shots. But the downside is I developed an over the top move that took years to correct.

ADVERTISEMENT