ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

These are easy to find on the internet. And neither of those quotes is my source for POTUS' penchant for cheating at golf.

"And in his 2019 book, ''Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump," author Rick Reilly said that at Winged Foot, ‘the caddies got so used to seeing him kick his ball back onto the fairway they came up with a nickname for him: ‘Pele.’’'

"As for the claim that he’s posted scores in the low-70s at Winged Foot, there’s no evidence saying he has or hasn’t. It’s the only club that Trump belongs to that he doesn’t also own. The veteran golf writer Alan Shipnuck says the president “became persona non grata after what could be politely described as a rules incident during a long-ago club championship.”
Really is a Bel Air member and has a terrible reputation. For you guessed it. Cheating.

I am watching with the mute on (due to Zoom calls), however the greens don't look as fast as I thought they would be. The rough is "rough" though. I assume they would pick up this afternoon. Did I miss anything crazy? I saw 2 hole in 1's.
They aren’t cutting it the rest of the tourney. Come Sunday, look out.

Winged Foot showing it’s claws. The course ate some guys up today. Now it’s a US Open. Love seeing these guys struggle.

Sunday that course outside of the fairways and greens is going to be an overgrown jungle.

Tiger and Phil just can't compete on courses like this with the younger guys. Father time. It get's everyone.

Sunday that course outside of the fairways and greens is going to be an overgrown jungle.

Tiger and Phil just can't compete on courses like this with the younger guys. Father time. It get's everyone.
Not true at all. They may not be competing this week but it isn’t because of their age.

Amazing scrambling round of even par for Patrick Reed today. 15-20 mph winds w higher gusts, unforgiving rough and undulating, sloped greens rolling at 13. He hit only 5 fairways off the tee and had only 25 putts. His short game from the deep rough around the greens was magic today.

Bryson and Reed playing tomorrow in the final group?

If you want to learn about a person, play a round with him.

People coming to Jack's home for dinner that wear a tie are attacked/jumped and their tie is cut in half with scissors.

When playing in different tournaments and 4 somes at my courses, IF my guests were slowing play It was not usual for me to stand behind the cup and straddle the hole for the upcoming putt.
Or any putt/shot on the green within the 'leather' of the putter was good.

Tiger will soon be 45, getting old.
Is old. Golf is a young man athletes game now. His only chance for a major is Augusta. You
Don’t have to be a bomber and he knows that place better than anyone.
Tiger has no advantage anymore. He is no longer the best putter, he doesn’t drive it the furthest, and he is older. He got passed by. Jacks record and status as the all time great is cemented still. And he’s not too upset about that lol.

Reactions: shields
Really is a Bel Air member and has a terrible reputation. For you guessed it. Cheating.
First time you've ever broken character about Trump and admitted something he did was less than perfect. That's step 1. We can help you navigate the subsequent steps.

Is old. Golf is a young man athletes game now. His only chance for a major is Augusta. You
Don’t have to be a bomber and he knows that place better than anyone.
Tiger has no advantage anymore. He is no longer the best putter, he doesn’t drive it the furthest, and he is older. He got passed by. Jacks record and status as the all time great is cemented still. And he’s not too upset about that lol.
This. He has no dominant part of his game vs the field and it’s harder for older players in general to maintain things for four days. His injuries have taken a toll...the herniated disks especially. He has also lost the fear factor he had long ago. Tiger is a top 50 golfer and can still pull it together for a tournament, but this week showed how life has changed for him and Phil. You will see more of that.

Reactions: shields
This. He has no dominant part of his game vs the field and it’s harder for older players in general to maintain things for four days. His injuries have taken a toll...the herniated disks especially. He has also lost the fear factor he had long ago. Tiger is a top 50 golfer and can still pull it together for a tournament, but this week showed how life has changed for him and Phil. You will see more of that.
Not to get too "psych" on this but to me there's been two Tigers since 2018 - before the Masters win and after. Remember his performances at the Tour championship, second at PGA, in the hunt at the British Open then Masters - it wasn't just a good weekend at Augusta he was overall basically elite - then .... Sort of appears to be a guy who's taken his foot off the gas. Now maybe 43 to 45 is that big a change but I think it is more a mentality change coupled with getting a bit older.

should be a good weekend. Pulling for Schauffele. Can’t root for cheater Reed and don’t want to hear what number of protein shake Bryson is on during the round.

I agree with JT. He was my pick before the tournament. He needs a good round today and Sunday will be a Funday.

Surprised no post on today's round. This kid Wolff is legit. Odd swing, but who cares if it works. To only hit 2 fairways with the seriously tough rough at Winged Foot, set up for a US Open, and shoot 65 is pretty incredible. Sure he drew a few decent lies in the rough, as he said, but they certainly weren't fairway lies. Hope he wins - would be a great story and I just don't like BD much...but if he falters, watch out for Rory, who played very well today and is capable of getting hot and there aren't many players in front of him (and only one with a major and that was a long time ago).

Not going to lie -- got really bored watching on Saturday. The leaderboard is great but the course and broadcast feels bland.

Wolf was pretty incredible as was Bryson. 21 & 27 year old in final pairing. No spectators has to help Wolf today. Thinking the same thing about Rory, but Schauffle is there too.
What about Reeds implosion?

Reed imploded yesterday and I think Wolf does the same today. Really like Wolf’s game and his swing, but not a fan of his personality. I‘m rooting for Shrek or Rory. I’m going to call the winning score at 2 under.

Reed imploded yesterday and I think Wolf does the same today. Really like Wolf’s game and his swing, but not a fan of his personality. I‘m rooting for Shrek or Rory. I’m going to call the winning score at 2 under.

Just curious why? Don't know much about him but the times I've seen him such as the televised Wednesday charity matches, he seems outgoing and a bit goofy which is refreshing.

Just curious why? Don't know much about him but the times I've seen him such as the televised Wednesday charity matches, he seems outgoing and a bit goofy which is refreshing.
He talks too much. Makes him look like he is trying to hard to be liked. Just my personal opinion. I should really say my perception of him.

Reactions: Knightmoves
First time you've ever broken character about Trump and admitted something he did was less than perfect. That's step 1. We can help you navigate the subsequent steps.
I didn’t even mention Trump. You’re so dumd lol!. #MuddleManagementLife #NoWonder #TDS

Wolff is only 21, so I cut him slack. Kid may just be a little chatty in front of a camera - a little nervous

Winged Foot showing it’s claws. The course ate some guys up today. Now it’s a US Open. Love seeing these guys struggle.

I will playing on that course one week from tomorrow at an Outing.
It’s going to be ugly.

Reactions: HALL85
You like Wolf’s swing???? That’s not a swing I want to copy but it works for him (the forward press/trigger). It’s amazing that there are so many “different” swings.... Furyk, Trevino, Arnie. But they all want to make it a repetitive swing under pressure no matter how it looks. That’s the fun of golf.

Wolff is only 21, so I cut him slack. Kid may just be a little chatty in front of a camera - a little nervous
I'm really curious to see how he does today. His whole life I'm sure he's outdriven his playing partner. Not today with Bryson. That can get in your head.

ADVERTISEMENT