ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

Speed = Distance. How do you swing faster? Strength and flexibility...that is the core of any training program.
I’m in the best shape since the last decade (speed and strength). Back down close to high school weight. My golf game is the worst it’s ever been. LOL. Swing speed is not the problem. But 3 off the tee is.

Justin Thomas has a 116 mph swing speed, yet is working to get more distance on his shots after averaging 304 yards off the tee last season (35th.) No question imo that BD’s extreme length strategy is influencing others, even top tour players.

Reactions: Caliknight
Justin Thomas has a 116 mph swing speed, yet is working to get more distance on his shots after averaging 304 yards off the tee last season (35th.) No question imo that BD’s extreme length strategy is influencing others, even top tour players.

Let’s be clear, everyone at every level is chasing length. If JT said he was going to add 30 lbs to get the length, then I would agree that BD is changing the game. But that’s not what the article says. Golf is more like soccer. Skills is more important than strength. I think what BD will change the game is how players play the holes. More and more guys will take ridiculous line. There will be a lot more eagles but also more doubles.

Let’s be clear, everyone at every level is chasing length. If JT said he was going to add 30 lbs to get the length, then I would agree that BD is changing the game. But that’s not what the article says. Golf is more like soccer. Skills is more important than strength. I think what BD will change the game is how players play the holes. More and more guys will take ridiculous line. There will be a lot more eagles but also more doubles.
harnessing the strength is the skill. not sure why you keep trying to divorce the two.

Reactions: jtung230
The guys with the sweet swings on the Tour make plenty of cash and then go onto make plenty of cash on the Champions tour.

The guys that grip it and rip it, not so much.

How and why did Tiger change swing coaches when he ALREADY was the best on tour ?

I guess it just wasn't a challenge anymore....

The guys with the sweet swings on the Tour make plenty of cash and then go onto make plenty of cash on the Champions tour.

How and why did Tiger change swing coaches when he ALREADY was the best on tour ?

Guys were catching up to his length pushing him further and further.

One thing about golfers. They never stop tinkering.

Reactions: Knightmoves

Other than Daly, which grip it and rip it golfers are eligible for the champions tour? Phil is in a grip it and rip it stage...and scored a 61 in an opening round of a champions tour event recently...

Reactions: BigWill
100% agree with this. Maybe it's just me, I thought everyone was saying that bigger and stronger players = better players.
Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

which PGA tour player is 5 and up? This chart is meaningless. If you zoom in on the -1 to -5, then it means something.
Meaningless? There is no better correlation in golf than distance to score. That is what that graph shows. If you think about it, it makes sense. You are playing a 450 yard Par 4 say 100 times, who is going to score better ... the guy who hits it 160, 200, 240, 280, 320 or 360? How about a 500 yard par-5? The guy hitting it 360 will have driver / sand wedge into the green on a par 5. How about a 230 yd par-3? Would not a guy hitting 6-I do better than a guy who cannot reach at all.

Unless you have a D league short game, like Cameron Champ, distance is everything. That's all that matters.

I’m in the best shape since the last decade (speed and strength). Back down close to high school weight. My golf game is the worst it’s ever been. LOL. Swing speed is not the problem. But 3 off the tee is.
I lost a total of 43 pound about 10 years ago (which got me back to my high school weight). Prior to that I was working on a 3 year project with 14 hours days / 7 days a week. A bunch of us gained weight and we all had a competition to lose weight after it was over. All played golf. As part of working out, we were lifting weights and bulked up. I was probably in the best shape ever but everyone said I was too thin. My golf game went to crap. Played horrible. I gave up lifting (only lifted to tone in the offseason) doing nothing but stretching and basic exercises (my wife said I was doing yoga). I also gained back 15 pounds. Golf game came back big time. Since them I gained another 5-10 pounds and the driving distance increase by a lot. I don't know what you weigh but my advice is to get at least 10 pounds over the recommended weight. And don't lift weights. Flexibility is key.

Reactions: jtung230
Meaningless? There is no better correlation in golf than distance to score. That is what that graph shows. If you think about it, it makes sense. You are playing a 450 yard Par 4 say 100 times, who is going to score better ... the guy who hits it 160, 200, 240, 280, 320 or 360? How about a 500 yard par-5? The guy hitting it 360 will have driver / sand wedge into the green on a par 5. How about a 230 yd par-3? Would not a guy hitting 6-I do better than a guy who cannot reach at all.
Again, we are talking about tour players. 100% agree with you on distance to score In general. But when you look at -1 to -5 hcp, the slop of curve is ver flat.

Please don't equate your Golf game with anyone on the PGA or Champions Tour, it's NOT the same game !

Want to test my idea ? Set up a match with your Club Head Pro. $ 100 Nassau to make him interested.

Bring lot's of cash.

Unexpected consequences of China virus: Our golf courses are packed. We retirees have to fight to do our twice a week. Get these young wage earners back to work to support our pensioned lifestyle and get the hell off my tee box. But, peace.

Unexpected consequences of China virus: Our golf courses are packed. We retirees have to fight to do our twice a week. Get these young wage earners back to work to support our pensioned lifestyle and get the hell off my tee box. But, peace.
Drugs are not good for you.... lower your dosage of medical mj

Average Distance off the tee for Amateurs by Handicap and by Age. Needless to say the lower handicap players hit it longer.

Most CC's cut down the rough to keep play moving along, let it grow up to 3 - 6 inches and see how your score trying to hit/stay on the greens.

One of the most amazing tournaments was Tiger a few years ago winning the British Open, without EVER playing into and out of a bunker.

This is the first week I do not have a tee time yet. All are after 3 PM at this point. All season it has not be easy but I usually have something early in the week. Short daylight hours are a killer now.

Most CC's cut down the rough to keep play moving along, let it grow up to 3 - 6 inches and see how your score trying to hit/stay on the greens.

One of the most amazing tournaments was Tiger a few years ago winning the British Open, without EVER playing into and out of a bunker.
Was that the one at Hoylake? I don't think he even used a driver that week.

Started playing at 13, gave up baseball for golf. became a teaching professional for a number of years Fortunate to work at some amazing clubs first course was Shore Oaks (Eagle oaks) Baltusrol for 3 seasons would winter at the Ocean Reef Club in KeyLargo, last club was Caves Valley in Maryland.

have played several top courses in the NYC metro area Plainfield, Somerset Hills, Pine Valley, Winged Foot.

Have 2 young daughters now hopeful they pick it up its been hard to find time to play consistently since the family started

Reactions: RutgHoops
Started playing at 13, gave up baseball for golf. became a teaching professional for a number of years Fortunate to work at some amazing clubs first course was Shore Oaks (Eagle oaks) Baltusrol for 3 seasons would winter at the Ocean Reef Club in KeyLargo, last club was Caves Valley in Maryland.

have played several top courses in the NYC metro area Plainfield, Somerset Hills, Pine Valley, Winged Foot.

Have 2 young daughters now hopeful they pick it up its been hard to find time to play consistently since the family started
How was Pine Valley? Too much hype or it's that good.

Back to the golf ball discussion. I found a Vice Pro on a course and played it side by side with a TaylorMade TP5. Overall the TaylorMade was longer and better around the greens, but for a $25 ball, I was pretty impressed with the Vice Pro. I plan to get a dozen to try them some more.

DeChambeau continues working on length off the tee for the Masters in 3 weeks.

He is now up to 211 mph ball speed with the driver and is chasing 215. This was not with the 48” driver.

I lost a total of 43 pound about 10 years ago (which got me back to my high school weight). Prior to that I was working on a 3 year project with 14 hours days / 7 days a week. A bunch of us gained weight and we all had a competition to lose weight after it was over. All played golf. As part of working out, we were lifting weights and bulked up. I was probably in the best shape ever but everyone said I was too thin. My golf game went to crap. Played horrible. I gave up lifting (only lifted to tone in the offseason) doing nothing but stretching and basic exercises (my wife said I was doing yoga). I also gained back 15 pounds. Golf game came back big time. Since them I gained another 5-10 pounds and the driving distance increase by a lot. I don't know what you weigh but my advice is to get at least 10 pounds over the recommended weight. And don't lift weights. Flexibility is key.

BOTH the PGA Tour and the Champions Tour has a tractor trailer with various S & C machines, weights that travels to tour events in continental US. Also has a personal trainer in the TT.

Charter member at Shore Oaks until I moved to Florida.

Used to play Balt while in NJSP as most courses would allow you to play unattached with showing NJSP ID, especially on Mondays. Talbot family used to own 2 residences in Ocean Reef till he shorted EXXON one day. Old members of Bay Head YC.

Charter member at Shore Oaks until I moved to Florida.

Used to play Balt while in NJSP as most courses would allow you to play unattached with showing NJSP ID, especially on Mondays. Talbot family used to own 2 residences in Ocean Reef till he shorted EXXON one day. Old members of Bay Head YC.
My nephew is getting married next year at Eagle Oaks. I am very interested to see what changes they have made over the past 20 years. I worked for Lou Katsos when I was there. It had a great membership back then, I know a few have moved on and up joining Metedeconk National

Reactions: RutgHoops
Lou was great. Happy i didn't buy one of the homes off the front 9 or on 18, when they were spec homes.

That was one of the original model homes IIRC.

Mad Dog married one of the beverage cart girls about 4 years later. She was a very nice girl, beautiful. Her older Brother came to work for me and I recognized the last name. Asked how she was and she had just graduated from Nova and broken up with her college boyfriend. He and I got them together and a year later they were married.

Ball speed is much more important, you need to hit the ball in the center of the club to generate ball speed. If i swing at 110MPH and scrape it everytime the ball isn't going very far. 100MPH and on the screws equals higher ball speed.

ADVERTISEMENT