ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Online sports gamb to start Saturday in NY..but will odds be worse ?

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
Great news for those of us who live/work in NYC and can now legally bet on RU games when we're in city. Remember you can't bet legally on RU in NJ.
Exciting times.

However NY state is taking a big chuck of tax from the game operators (51% versus 14% in NJ). Many are speculating this will lead to less promos and worse lines for NY bettors

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Say you have a draft kings account . Does this mean the same account will work in ny when the app opens ?

Say you have a draft kings account . Does this mean the same account will work in ny when the app opens ?
DraftKings uses your location when you log into sports book so it will know if your in NJ or NY or any other state. Same account will work.

DraftKings uses your location when you log into sports book so it will know if your in NJ or NY or any other state. Same account will work.
Correct. Works same way going from NJ to PA. Coming back from the bowl game I was able to place bets in Virginia the same way. Will be interested to see how well betting within the city works because I always have issues when I’m near the PA/NJ border

Prepare to be ambushed with even more same game parlays and boosts to suck you into those, as they are moneymakers for the books.

Sorry but what a stupid rule to have banning it in NJ when you can just drive to a Starbucks in NY to submit your wager. I don’t get it.

Prepare to be ambushed with even more same game parlays and boosts to suck you into those, as they are moneymakers for the books.
Doubtful. Maybe at first. But will be very hard for sports books to make money with promos in NY with state taking 51% revenue

Sorry but what a stupid rule to have banning it in NJ when you can just drive to a Starbucks in NY to submit your wager. I don’t get it.

There was a public question in our last election that would have allowed you to gamble on NJ college teams from within NJ and it was soundly defeated. So the current "rule" was established by your fellow constituents, not your law makers.

There was a public question in our last election that would have allowed you to gamble on NJ college teams from within NJ and it was soundly defeated. So the current "rule" was established by your fellow constituents, not your law makers.
It's both because we wouldn't have needed to pass a ballot question if we didn't have that dumb exception built into the law in the first place. Maybe I'm overly skeptical but I feel like most people don't know how to vote on many ballot questions because they lazily vote down the line for one party or the other and form their opinion on any particular topic based on what their party's stance is and not by thinking about it and forming their own opinion, and since the ballot question answers don't have the name of a party next to it, they don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Great news for those of us who live/work in NYC and can now legally bet on RU games when we're in city. Remember you can't bet legally on RU in NJ.
Exciting times.

However NY state is taking a big chuck of tax from the game operators (51% versus 14% in NJ). Many are speculating this will lead to less promos and worse lines for NY bettors
It won’t be “worse lines”, because their goal is always to get an equal amount bet on both sides.

What will happen is where in a state like NJ you might risk $110 to win $100 on a straight bet, in NY you will risk $115-120.

Leave to a state like NY to screw up a guaranteed money maker like sports gambling, just like California has botched the implementation of legal weed.

Reactions: superfan01
It won’t be “worse lines”, because their goal is always to get an equal amount bet on both sides.

What will happen is where in a state like NJ you might risk $110 to win $100 on a straight bet, in NY you will risk $115-120.

Leave to a state like NY to screw up a guaranteed money maker like sports gambling, just like California has botched the implementation of legal weed.

There's precedent for NYS/NYC screwing it up. OTB under Hazel Dukes actually managed to lose money.

Reactions: krup
If you overtax weed and gambling, the illegal element won't go away, because people will go where there is better value. Its not rocket science.

Reactions: krup and robcac26
ADVERTISEMENT