ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Over paying for things stories

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
This just happened to me. I saw that cellular blinds on Home Depot's website were on sale, 25% off up to March 3rd. I've been wanting to get custom sized blinds for a while now, so I went ahead and ordered them. Afterwards I looked at Lowes online. And dam it Lowes was a lot less money for the exact same thing. Home Depot won't allow returns on customized blind, so I can't return them and buy from Lowes. So I over paid by $110.21 not including tax. Do any of you have an over payment story?

This just happened to me. I saw that cellular blinds on Home Depot's website were on sale, 25% off up to March 3rd. I've been wanting to get custom sized blinds for a while now, so I went ahead and ordered them. Afterwards I looked at Lowes online. And dam it Lowes was a lot less money for the exact same thing. Home Depot won't allow returns on customized blind, so I can't return them and buy from Lowes. So I over paid by $110.21 not including tax. Do any of you have an over payment story?
Home Depot has a match price guarantee so they should pay you the difference.
Double check they are the EXACT same brand and sku. It's rare they carry the same brands.

Paid for something I didn’t need at a car dealership years ago . It was some type of bs flush . Learned my lesson, only doing warranty type repairs at car dealership .

Reactions: Extra Point
After being on the phone with Home Depot for close to 2 hours, they can not price match custom blinds with identical custom blinds. The first call the person looked up the blinds on Lowes, said they can do a price match and said she had to check with her supervisor. After being on hold for 45 minuters I hung up. I called again, and the next person said that they couldn't price match, and that two of the three blinds were not customized (which isn't correct) and said I can return the two non-customized blinds (which I can not) when I receive them and buy two of them from Lowes. Still not being satisfied I called a 3rd time, and the new person said customized blinds can't be price matched. What a frustrating experience.

too late now but Blinds.com is the way to go. Prices are great, products are great and if you measure wrong they will replace it for free. I ordered a wooden blind for one of those half moon windows and realized it was about an inch short since they deduct from your original measurements automatically. It was about $400 and they replaced it for free and told me to keep the old one, so I just retro fitted that onto another window.

Yea I messed up assuming HD would have a good price. And about price matching, I did find this exclusion:
'Yes, there are some important exclusions
Custom or special order products. – Includes things like custom doors and window coverings.'

Reactions: WhiteBus
Yea I messed up assuming HD would have a good price. And about price matching, I did find this exclusion:
'Yes, there are some important exclusions
Custom or special order products. – Includes things like custom doors and window coverings.'

I mean, its not like we don't have this thing called the internet where you can price compare the entire free world in about 10 minutes.

Comparing the exact name and size blinds on blinds.com, HD was $214.28 cheaper. The price of blinds really vary.

I left the Miami/Florida Football game at the Citrus Bowl and tried to catch an Uber or Lyft back to my hotel. Bad plan. They were all taken. Should have driven the rental to the game. Walked all the way to Orlando, then finally got a Lyft. Cost close to $100 for a 20 minute ride.

Needed to have 50 tickets for a Super Bowl in California.
Where scalping is legal.

Used a guy that advertised in USA Today.
$ 50,000 in cash, which I carried with me. He met me at our hotel and we made the exchange.

IIRC the face value on the tickets may have been 200 ?

Needed to have 50 tickets for a Super Bowl in California.
Where scalping is legal.

Used a guy that advertised in USA Today.
$ 50,000 in cash, which I carried with me. He met me at our hotel and we made the exchange.

IIRC the face value on the tickets may have been 200 ?
WHAT!! wow. I'm not feeling too bad about my 110.21 over payment anymore.

When it comes to (expensive) fun stuff, I try to buy at 30 percent off or more. At 50+ percent, I'm really happy because that's wholesale. Same with major home purchases like appliances ... at least when I shop in advance, not when I have to replace something that's totally broken. If I get 30+ percent, I'm happy regardless of whether it shows up a little cheaper since I could have easily paid a lot more.

For home stuff that's difficult to really cross-shop based on the crazy number of different brands, styles, materials, etc., I buy what I like, and fits in the budget, with a good warranty, without going too crazy shopping around. Mostly because I've gone crazy shopping around in the past - it's hard to really compare 50 different hardwood floorings, blinds, similar-style/different-brand furniture, etc. At the end of the day, you just need it, so find what you like, buy it when you need and don't look back. Sounds like you've already wasted more money in time than you'd have saved at Lowes.

WHAT!! wow. I'm not feeling too bad about my 110.21 over payment anymore.

The bosses wanted good seats, not nosebleeds and we HAD to have 50 not 30 or 40, but 50.

Rose Bowl if Norwood hadn't hit it wide right, I may have caught it. New Orleans I'm in the first row as the 49'ers are warming up and we're yelling at Rice and Joe !
Detroit ? Nope, Paradise Island Bahamas.

When it comes to (expensive) fun stuff, I try to buy at 30 percent off or more. At 50+ percent, I'm really happy because that's wholesale. Same with major home purchases like appliances ... at least when I shop in advance, not when I have to replace something that's totally broken. If I get 30+ percent, I'm happy regardless of whether it shows up a little cheaper since I could have easily paid a lot more.

For home stuff that's difficult to really cross-shop based on the crazy number of different brands, styles, materials, etc., I buy what I like, and fits in the budget, with a good warranty, without going too crazy shopping around. Mostly because I've gone crazy shopping around in the past - it's hard to really compare 50 different hardwood floorings, blinds, similar-style/different-brand furniture, etc. At the end of the day, you just need it, so find what you like, buy it when you need and don't look back. Sounds like you've already wasted more money in time than you'd have saved at Lowes.

My youngest Sister and her Husband are both retired USAF. She tries to live within a decent drive to military bases in States they move to. She will load up her SUV with case lots of TP, Soap, Paper towels, anything that comes in bulk. If she can talk her Daughter to go, she takes 2 SUV's to load to the brim.

Yes, this is the Sister that wears 3 layers of clothes when she flies so she doesn't have to pay for baggage fees.

The bosses wanted good seats, not nosebleeds and we HAD to have 50 not 30 or 40, but 50.

Rose Bowl if Norwood hadn't hit it wide right, I may have caught it. New Orleans I'm in the first row as the 49'ers are warming up and we're yelling at Rice and Joe !
Detroit ? Nope, Paradise Island Bahamas.
You’re all over the place here . I don’t even know what you’re saying . No Detroit super bowl?
And the Norwood game was not at the rose bowl.

Detroit ? Would you want to go there in the winter or the Bahamas.

Rose Bowl, I was in row 3 between the two goal posts.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it, I swear I wasn't drunk.
You can see me in the photo in SI.

You don’t even have the game right

Norwood wide right in Tampa.

Yup- looked it up and Steve Christie was the Bills kicker in that game. Maybe Will blended the two Super Bowls in his memory.
He mentioned wide right and him almost catching Norwood’s kick . Seems pretty vivid . Except he had the wrong stadium on wrong coast

Reactions: redking
Thurman was exhausted running and catching the ball in the flats. Norwood hit it towards me to my left as I faced him, which made it "wide right". My friend that was sitting with me, had 12 K on the under to make up what he was behind on the bookie. He was in tears as the ball went No Good.

Where was Whitney's singing of the National Anthem have us all in tears, thought that was the Rose Bowl and the same game ?

The Tampa Super Bowl I do remember the best was Wash vs Raiders. Marcus making that cut across the field and going the distance. And the halftime fireworks that set a temporary wooden stand on fire and delayed the start of the second half.

The T an A bar right next to the old Tampa Bay Stadium killed a lot of brain cells.

2004- was looking for a big SUV to fit my new GF and her son's along with my two boys in one vehicle. Those days, was making upper 6 figures and cost of a vehicle wasn't a huge deal. Wanted to do it fast as I was giving my Lexus to the oldest going into college.
Went into Toyota, saw a Sequoia Limited- fully loaded, tow package in das entertainment etc...I walked in, paid full damn price, got all the coverages and within 3 months, had someone else install a new entertainment center that had a drop down 15 inch screen for the rear passengers.
No doubt, since I was walking off the lot with the damn thing, I could have gotten a good 4-5 grand off the price.

Though, I did get 250k out of it before selling...Loved that damn vehicle and all the memories- also drove it back and forth to both USF away games, Bowl games in Bama and St Pete...

My Diesel Excursion was like that.

You could take out the rear bench seat, fold down the middle seats and put a full size mattress back there for someone to sleep.

We got to Muck early one game. Parked right across the street from Muck Stadium before the lots opened. Went to sleep and woke up just prior to game among all grills/tailgaters.

Had a few brews and burgers from the fans that were shocked to see us climb out of the car with Jersey plates. Mid west fans are a lot more mellow than Eastern/NYC/Philly fans.

Did I ever tell you about the time I overpaid a scalper to see Jesse Owens race Ussain Bolt in the Berlin Olympics? Still pissed about that one.
Well, if you actually saw that you got your money’s worth on something that day !

Reactions: RUPete
Wife buys a lot of stuff on Wayfair.
I know it’s got to be costing me there and better deals are to be found ...but what’s the stupid saying happy wife ...

ADVERTISEMENT