ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Parisi Speed School

RU5781

All American
Nov 13, 2006
Anyone have any experience with them?
My son has his first class with them tomorrow (he will be turning 7 in September).

Anyone have any experience with them?
My son has his first class with them tomorrow (he will be turning 7 in September).
Used them for my older daughter. While she was fast she did not run properly or optimally. They did correct that. Younger daughter just naturally ran correctly so wasn't a need. She was time home to first in 2.6 seconds. Older daughter was in 2.8 range.

Used them for my older daughter. While she was fast she did not run properly or optimally. They did correct that. Younger daughter just naturally ran correctly so wasn't a need. She was time home to first in 2.6 seconds. Older daughter was in 2.8 range.

Thanks. My son plays baseball and I'm convinced Stephen Hawking can outrun him around the bases. Haha.

Whatever happened with kids just going outside and playing games with their friends?

Sadly it's not like that any more. He's in private hitting lessons as well.
He just wants to be the best that he can be and he's competitive.
I manage his baseball team. It's a great experience for him and me.

I hope you're spending the money on a tutor for his education.

Reactions: Knight Shift

I took a less intense approach to youth sports with my kids and I guess the results probably reflect that -- two boys found their sports in HS and then used athletics to get into great schools. Different strokes, I guess.

One word of advice: if you want your kid to get an athletic scholarship have a football player or a basketball player -- or a girl.

I have a friend of a friend who works at Parisi. I have no idea what he's like professionally, but from my interactions with him, he's a great guy. If you have specific questions, I can probably connect the two of you if you'd like. My email is mikebal9@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Reactions: RU5781
I have a friend of a friend who works at Parisi. I have no idea what he's like professionally, but from my interactions with him, he's a great guy. If you have specific questions, I can probably connect the two of you if you'd like. My email is mikebal9@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Do you know which one? I'm in Hamilton so he will be going to the Newtown, PA one (it's only ~25 min from me).

Some of my players have had solid experiences there. Teaching proper running technique is very important. We spend the first two weeks of every summer on running form and small movement correction every year.

Whatever happened with kids just going outside and playing games with their friends?
That is one of the things that has been lost. Growing up during the summer we got up, went to the playground played all morning, went home for lunch, went back in afternoon to play again, went home for dinner and then went back at night again. Must have gotten 50-100 at bats each day and we policed the rules ourselves. Today, everything has to be an organized game where players get 2-4 at bats.

our very own Brandon Wood from the 2006 team is the director of team training there. Good guy from a personal level too.

Reactions: S.Brown
I think those days are over for baseball but lacrosse has taken over that world. My kids play all the time and shoot all the time.

Jockeying for a .000001% shot at a scholarship or that coveted hook at an Ivy/NESCAC school (even though you still need straight A's and to completely ace your boards).

Good luck.

Last edited:
so much wrong here but it's the parents that have destroyed what should be kids just going out and playing

7yr olds in hitting school, speed school, etc is just ludicrous

Not really. His hitting instructor is Vin Mazzilli. His cousin is Lee Mazzilli and Lee's son plays AA for the Mets.
Vin played for Rutgers back in the mid-90s. he even said if he learned proper technique and had this training available to him at an early age, it only would have benefited him moreso in his playing future.

Reactions: LC-88
Jockeying for a .000001% short at a scholarship or that coveted hook at an Ivy/NESCAC school (even though you still need straight A's and to completely ace your boards).

Good luck.

I don't care about a scholarship for him. He loves baseball and wants to be the best. I have the means to do so (and time by managing his team), so I'm going to let him pursue his dreams as much as i can.

I don't care about a scholarship for him. He loves baseball and wants to be the best. I have the means to do so (and time by managing his team), so I'm going to let him pursue his dreams as much as i can.

Good for you man. You have to do what is best for you kids. As long as he is having a great time then it is worth it, and it might lead to a scholarship so make sure that his grades are excellent as well.

Some of my players have had solid experiences there. Teaching proper running technique is very important. We spend the first two weeks of every summer on running form and small movement correction every year.
Serious question: Running form? Are they training for track? Where does form come into when hitting an off tackle hole, back peddling covering a WR or running around a long stick defender with a lax stick in your hand?

I am guessing form is just one aspect of this speed training school? I thought it was all about firing up those short twitch muscles: Parachutes, plyometrics....

Reactions: ruready07
fair.

That is one of the things that has been lost. Growing up during the summer we got up, went to the playground played all morning, went home for lunch, went back in afternoon to play again, went home for dinner and then went back at night again. Must have gotten 50-100 at bats each day and we policed the rules ourselves. Today, everything has to be an organized game where players get 2-4 at bats.

It amazes me how almost every baseball field is empty from May through the rest of summer.

Serious question: Running form? Are they training for track? Where does form come into when hitting an off tackle hole, back peddling covering a WR or running around a long stick defender with a lax stick in your hand?

I am guessing form is just one aspect of this speed training school? I thought it was all about firing up those short twitch muscles: Parachutes, plyometrics....

Running form is absolutely critical for all sports. Poor and wasted movement kills the majority of normal high school athletes. I have only been blessed to coach a few division 1 athletes and improving movement is critical.

If you notice a lot of my play break downs have mentioned hip or ankle flexibility. It takes away from players running, tackling, blocking, breaking down, straight away speed etc. It also is huge in injury prevention.

I took a less intense approach to youth sports with my kids and I guess the results probably reflect that -- two boys found their sports in HS and then used athletics to get into great schools. Different strokes, I guess.

One word of advice: if you want your kid to get an athletic scholarship have a football player or a basketball player -- or a girl.
I took an even less intense approach. I coached them both through rec baseball and soccer, they played for their school in grades 6-8, and hung it up for high school. No regrets. They are active in other activities that will hopefully get them into great schools. And both are required to do something to keep physically active, either running, mountain biking or lifting.

So how is it working out for hitting?
I spent a lot of $$ for both boys for private hitting instruction (he was a buddy who had an awesome setup in his basement and locally known as the go to guy). On top of that, I did a lot of extra batting practice with them at home and on the field before and after practice. All of it made little difference.

So how is it working out for hitting?
I spent a lot of $$ for both boys for private hitting instruction (he was a buddy who had an awesome setup in his basement and locally known as the go to guy). On top of that, I did a lot of extra batting practice with them at home and on the field before and after practice. All of it made little difference.

He's 6yo playing with 8 and 9yos and is holding his own. It's also kid pitch and not coach pitch. it's made a world of difference so far.
The key is getting someone who can tailor things to the individual.

Heck, during summers after about age 10, with both working parents, going home for lunch meant you had a key, you came and went with the responsibility to lock up the house, you made your own lunch, and scrambled back home in time to make sure you finished your chores before dad got home from work, or else...

We had to make our own way to 9AM tennis and swimming lessons by walking or riding our bikes across town if needed, or occasionally bumming a ride off friends who had a stay-at-home mom.

Even in my time (childhood in 80s), my brother and I never went to a single summer camp (daycamp or out-of-town). Probably a worthwhile experience we missed out on as we just never had the opportunity.

My 6 year old son is likely the best hitter in the 6 year old league in our town. He routinely hits line drives to the gaps. Always makes contact and has a nice, level compact swing.

I coach his team. His "training" consists of hitting off a tee into a net pretty much every day and me throwing him wiffle ball curves in flip flops with a beer in my hand.

The idea that any formalized instruction is taking hold inside a 6 year old's head is at best stupid and at worst fraud.

AS for movement training. While I wouldn't pay for it myself at this age, I think it's less of a money grab than "hitting" instruction.

Most kids can't grasp the idea of "stepping on the hat" or "squishing the bug," until they are 8 or 9. Even if they get the concepts, they don't have the hand eye coordination or the body control to do all of those things at once.

Maybe the OP's kid is exceptional...who knows. But private hitting instruction at this age is a waste of money.

I wouldn't do it before 8 or 9 at the earliest.

My 6 year old son is likely the best hitter in the 6 year old league in our town. He routinely hits line drives to the gaps. Always makes contact and has a nice, level compact swing.

I coach his team. His "training" consists of hitting off a tee into a net pretty much every day and me throwing him wiffle ball curves in flip flops with a beer in my hand.

The idea that any formalized instruction is taking hold inside a 6 year old's head is at best stupid and at worst fraud.

AS for movement training. While I wouldn't pay for it myself at this age, I think it's less of a money grab than "hitting" instruction.

Most kids can't grasp the idea of "stepping on the hat" or "squishing the bug," until they are 8 or 9. Even if they get the concepts, they don't have the hand eye coordination or the body control to do all of those things at once.

Maybe the OP's kid is exceptional...who knows. But private hitting instruction at this age is a waste of money.

I wouldn't do it before 8 or 9 at the earliest.
Not totally sold on that.

My 4 year old dribbles and shields a soccer ball better than I ever did, but that's because I'm consciously teaching him how to handle the ball under pressure (ie: keep away; possession) as opposed to lots of other parents who think soccer is a running/kicking game. Now I'm no Ronaldo or anything, but I did the competitive travel & HS soccer thing back in the day.

It may have something to do more with rote repetition than say formalized instruction. But even that has some value in a sense that you're likely discouraging bad habits from forming thereby ensuring that whatever they are repeating isn't something that they're going to have to unlearn down the road.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Kinda funny. It's like adults programming robots & then they all get together & see which robot programming course was the best one. Battle Bots for the suburbs.
If you think it's bad on the courts/fields, I'm sure you know it's 1000x worse in the classrooms...

Not totally sold on that.

My 4 year old dribbles and shields a soccer ball better than I ever did. Now I'm no Ronaldo or anything, but I did the competitive travel & HS soccer thing back in the day.

It may have something to do more with rote repetition than say formalized instruction. But even that has some value in a sense that you're likely discouraging bad habits from forming thereby ensuring that whatever they are repeating isn't something that they're going to have to unlearn down the road.

And that's what makes a market

It's your money...you wanna spend it on futbol instruction, have at it.

But you provided the answer to your own inquiry.

Your son dribbles and shields better than you did, because he plays more soccer than you did.

My son hits better than I did at 6, because he hits baseballs everyday in my yard. Will I walk up behind him and lift his back elbow or fix his fingers...sure. And I've been doing that for 2 years. And he still needs to be reminded. Which is entirely my point. I can remind him for free as I'm skimming my pool, or I can pay some washed out minor leaguer $90 an hour to remind him.

At this age, it's about reps...not about "not developing bad habbits."

No 6 year old has a repeatable swing at this age anyway. They aren't capable.

giphy.gif

Not true, and that's what instruction does. It reminds them.
He's hitting curve balls at 6. Why? Explaining the concepts on watching the hand of the pitcher, picking up the spin, and waiting on the ball.
Does he understand it 100%? No. But it's a great foundation to build upon.

Not true, and that's what instruction does. It reminds them.
He's hitting curve balls at 6. Why? Explaining the concepts on watching the hand of the pitcher, picking up the spin, and waiting on the ball.
Does he understand it 100%? No. But it's a great foundation to build upon.

Who's throwing a 6 year old curve balls?

Like I said upthread...it's your money.

Reactions: bdodger3
ADVERTISEMENT