ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Philadelphia Eagles 2021 Season Thread

Don't really have any expectations for the Birds this season, 1st time since 2017. This should be a rebuilding/resetting year and I think they'll be around 5-6 wins.

Hopefully they can build toward the future, here's what I'd like to see.

1. A definitive outcome for Jalen Hurts. Either he shows he can be the man or he shows he's not, nothing in the middle. They need to know going into next year's draft whether or not to invest draft capital in a new QB or not. I'm rooting for him, he seems like the right fit mentally, but his accuracy is atrocious.
2. If the season goes as most expect it and they are definitely not in contention, trade some of their higher priced older players. Thanks for the memories Ertz, Cox, Brooks, etc, but give them a chance on a contender and free up cap space.
3. Wentz to meet playing time requirements to make the pick they got in return for him a 1st rounder.
4. Figure out the LT situation. Dillard vs Maliata one of the 2 needs to win it outright.
5. Have the young WRs do well and step up their game.
6. Sirianni to look like he belongs as a NFL HC and not just a fall guy for a bad season.

Not sure if I'm allowed in this thread, might be considered trolling even though I'm a Giants fan and I'm always interested in division foes.

Need two more years to fix a roster than was destroyed in 3.
That assumes the very generous assumption that our GM and owner do the right things- and that has not been the case for 3 years.

hopefully it changes as we get closer to the season but I have no excitement for these guys this year

Of course you are welcome . What is your favorite big blue memory ?
Actually, I was at the 1987 Giants vs San Fran playoff game when the Giants crushed them 49-3 and Jim Burt almost broke Joe Montana's back in half. lol. It was one of the most violent sacks I've ever witnessed in person or on TV.

Reactions: goru1869
Don't really have any expectations for the Birds this season, 1st time since 2017. This should be a rebuilding/resetting year and I think they'll be around 5-6 wins.

Hopefully they can build toward the future, here's what I'd like to see.

1. A definitive outcome for Jalen Hurts. Either he shows he can be the man or he shows he's not, nothing in the middle. They need to know going into next year's draft whether or not to invest draft capital in a new QB or not. I'm rooting for him, he seems like the right fit mentally, but his accuracy is atrocious.
2. If the season goes as most expect it and they are definitely not in contention, trade some of their higher priced older players. Thanks for the memories Ertz, Cox, Brooks, etc, but give them a chance on a contender and free up cap space.
3. Wentz to meet playing time requirements to make the pick they got in return for him a 1st rounder.
4. Figure out the LT situation. Dillard vs Maliata one of the 2 needs to win it outright.
5. Have the young WRs do well and step up their game.
6. Sirianni to look like he belongs as a NFL HC and not just a fall guy for a bad season.

Well, looking like we'll have to cross #3 off the list.

• Angry
Reactions: mikebal9
Ok, updates after 1st preseason game.

Hurts missed on a deep ball but otherwise was good. Reports from beat writers in training camp have said that he and the offense overall haven't looked good. Part of that is that Hurts will never be a practice player because of his style of play, and part of that is a new offense. Still a long way to go before he is the franchise QB but hopefully he progresses through the season.

Mailata has completely blown away Dillard in the LT competition. In addition to his amazing story of never playing football to becoming a legit NFL LT within the span of a few years, the former rugby giant could probably win one of those singing shows. Here he is crushing Tennessee Whiskey:

Would trade Dillard for a bag of balls right now, another 1st round pick that didn't pan out.

No Ertz trade yet, which is surprising. Speaking of TEs, former a former RU opponent, Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson is making a splash at TE in Eagles training camp. The big fella looks like he could make the roster.

Former RU WR Andre Patton got a lot of playing time in the preseason opener, but probably won't make the final roster. Could be a practice squad add on though.

Looks like Wentz is back on schedule to start week 1 for the Colts now. Still, I won't hold my breath on him staying healthy enough for the Eagles to get the 1st rounder from them.

My thoughts so far from reading training camp beat writers.

Eagles sitting out most of their starters, so the game likely won't go their way. Thinking that it will be a lot of 2nd/3rd teamers battling for the back end of the roster spots.

Something to look at for Eagles/Rutgers fans is that Andre Patton has quietly had a solid camp, making a run for one of the last WR spots. Will be interesting to see if they keep him or practice squad him.

For Hurts, he was always going to be the starter, as I stated earlier the Birds need to find out if he is definitely the man this year.

One other interesting point is that the Philly beat writers (who are not homers and will crush the team when necessary) have all said that the Eagles have "won" both their joint practices with the Jets and the Patriots. This surprised me because I thought both teams would be better than them this year. Most have attributed this to them winning along the lines, so if the Eagles lines stay healthy they might pick up a couple of wins I didn't think they'd get this year. I still don't think they'll be above .500, but I think they are closer to 7 or 8 wins than I did at the start of camp.

My thoughts so far from reading training camp beat writers.

Eagles sitting out most of their starters, so the game likely won't go their way. Thinking that it will be a lot of 2nd/3rd teamers battling for the back end of the roster spots.

Something to look at for Eagles/Rutgers fans is that Andre Patton has quietly had a solid camp, making a run for one of the last WR spots. Will be interesting to see if they keep him or practice squad him.

For Hurts, he was always going to be the starter, as I stated earlier the Birds need to find out if he is definitely the man this year.

One other interesting point is that the Philly beat writers (who are not homers and will crush the team when necessary) have all said that the Eagles have "won" both their joint practices with the Jets and the Patriots. This surprised me because I thought both teams would be better than them this year. Most have attributed this to them winning along the lines, so if the Eagles lines stay healthy they might pick up a couple of wins I didn't think they'd get this year. I still don't think they'll be above .500, but I think they are closer to 7 or 8 wins than I did at the start of camp.
Hate to be that guy, but Patton has no shot at the active roster.

Hate to be that guy, but Patton has no shot at the active roster.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he will either. Just wanted to point out he's had a stronger than expected camp and I went from thinking he had no shot at even the practice squad to likely being on there and an outside chance like 10% or so at the 53 man. JJAW and Hightower have shown nothing, they are only still on the roster because Howie doesn't want to admit mistakes. I think Patton's familiarity with Steichen’s offense will help.

edit - And with perfect timing right as I finished typing this JJAW makes the one play a year that makes people think he's an NFL WR

You guys expecting something like 4-12?

Since there is 17 games this year I can guarantee that won't be their record. Go into this season I was thinking about 5 or so wins. Now I'm up to about 7 or 8 wins. Can see anywhere from 4 to 8 though. If their lines stay healthy, which is a big if because of age, they'll be in most games.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he will either. Just wanted to point out he's had a stronger than expected camp and I went from thinking he had no shot at even the practice squad to likely being on there and an outside chance like 10% or so at the 53 man. JJAW and Hightower have shown nothing, they are only still on the roster because Howie doesn't want to admit mistakes. I think Patton's familiarity with Steichen’s offense will help.

edit - And with perfect timing right as I finished typing this JJAW makes the one play a year that makes people think he's an NFL WR

Since there is 17 games this year I can guarantee that won't be their record. Go into this season I was thinking about 5 or so wins. Now I'm up to about 7 or 8 wins. Can see anywhere from 4 to 8 though. If their lines stay healthy, which is a big if because of age, they'll be in most games.
The team is probably 4-13 on talent alone. But, the schedule is so incredibly soft, I am going with 6 or 7 wins, so we're on the same page.

Smith and Hurts looking good. Got to keep in mind that Atlanta is not a good team though. Liking what I've seen from Siriani in the 1st half, was worried that he'd go conservative on 4th down and other calls, but has been aggressive taking the +EV plays when they are there.

Well, this has been fun. Atlanta probably won’t be good this year, but the Eagles looked pretty good today.

The Eagles had six rushes in the first half. Five of them were scrambles by Hurt, so there was exactly one hand-off to a running back. What is the rationale for this?

The Eagles had six rushes in the first half. Five of them were scrambles by Hurt, so there was exactly one hand-off to a running back. What is the rationale for this

I know they need to run, but Tampa is not the team to do it against, they have a top run D and a bad passing d. . I don't have the numbers, but some of the calls are RPOs that Hurts pulled. Another reason is they simply didn't have the ball much because of how much they sucked. Hurts needs to put some of those passes in better spots.

Eagles need to use one pick on a QB other two on defense…Hurts isn’t a top half of the NFL QB

Agree. He seems like a good teammate and competitor, but doesn't have the top level accuracy, arm strength and anticipation needed to succeed in today's NFL.

I fell asleep and missed the end of the game. Spread was 7. Why did the Eagles go for 2 other than to cover the spread? As someone who missed the action, seems weird to go for 2 there. Can anyone explain why? Even if they miss they still need to make a 2 point conversion to send to overtime.

I fell asleep and missed the end of the game. Spread was 7. Why did the Eagles go for 2 other than to cover the spread? As someone who missed the action, seems weird to go for 2 there. Can anyone explain why? Even if they miss they still need to make a 2 point conversion to send to overtime.

It's the mathematically proven right thing to do, see espn article linked in the tweet below from one of the Eagles beat writers.

Reactions: MulletCork
The Eagles had six rushes in the first half. Five of them were scrambles by Hurt, so there was exactly one hand-off to a running back. What is the rationale for this?

After reading some of the post game articles this morning, there was a suggestion that Sirianni's offense is a bit too predictable with the RPOs. Teams have been playing them to force Hurts into a passing decision since he either gets the ball out too late or is not accurate enough.

It's the mathematically proven right thing to do, see espn article linked in the tweet below from one of the Eagles beat writers.

Thanks! I saw a few other articles after I posted this that said the same. I've just never really actually seen this applied in this situation. Makes sense if you make it you only need the TD to tie / XP for the win. Just seems strange with the 6.5-7 point spreads and Tom Brady's record in covering spreads for prime time games.

Thanks! I saw a few other articles after I posted this that said the same. I've just never really actually seen this applied in this situation. Makes sense if you make it you only need the TD to tie / XP for the win. Just seems strange with the 6.5-7 point spreads and Tom Brady's record in covering spreads for prime time games.
Pederson went for 2 down 14 a lot as well. It's thankfully become more common amongst coaches the last 3-4 years but broadcasters like Aikman still are confused at it

Reactions: Section124
ADVERTISEMENT