ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Pickpockets

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Seems like there is a lot of pick pocketing going on at the olyympics.
So have you ever been pick pocketed ? What do you do to prevent ?
I have never been , but I am not ultra careful . I do keep my smallish wallet in my front pocket . If I am going somewhere that I consider high risk I just take id and, one credit card and some cash.

I do what you do as well. Always keep my wallet in my front pocket in sketchy areas.

I do what you do as well. Always keep my wallet in my front pocket in sketchy areas.

FWIW, Keith Hernandez related in today's broadcast that he was taken during Mardi Gras even though his wallet was in his front pocket.

Keep in a deep front pocket . Those that snap over ( on shorts) are best.
Otherwise I walk hand with in front pocket securing wallet at all times when walking in areas with less than desirable characters about.

Last edited:
Keep in a deep font pocket . Those that snap over ( on shorts) are best.
Otherwise I walk hand with in front pocket securing wallet at all times when walking in areas with less than desirable characters about.
And if anyone comes near you with a folded-up newspaper and they want to ask you a question.... look out.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Shocker.

Anyway, I could never, ever, ever in my life understand why anyone would keep a wallet, with ID, cards, and cash, in their BACK pocket. Even for sitting purposes (train, bus, car, plane, etc...). Now before somebody says "well I ain't got no room in my pants..."... blah blah blah... I don't care if your Johnny Wad down there keep it up front, and safe, IMHO. Just makes sense to me.

Went to Eastern Europe a few times for work. Before traveling, we get a coporate warning about the country we were are heading. Each time pick pocketing was mentioned. I got a necklace wallet from Amazon and wore it under my shirt.

In shady areas in the US, I always just put everything in the front pocket.

Walk with wallet in left front pocket with left hand over it and with a fist in your right hand. Nobody gonna mess with ya.

Speaking if wallets in back pants pocket, I used to have back problems in my 30s. Doctors and chiropractors couldn't figure what was wrong. A 20 something trainer at Jack LaLanne (yes I'm that old) told me I needed to stretch my hamstrings and to take my wallet out of my back pocket. Haven't had any real back issues since, roughly 30 years.

Speaking if wallets in back pants pocket, I used to have back problems in my 30s. Doctors and chiropractors couldn't figure what was wrong. A 20 something trainer at Jack LaLanne (yes I'm that old) told me I needed to stretch my hamstrings and to take my wallet out of my back pocket. Haven't had any real back issues since, roughly 30 years.

Like myself a "Costanza Wallet"

Reactions: rubaseball78
Don't just keep it in front pocket, but also put a large rubber band around the wallet. The friction will make the wallet 'stick' to the inside of your pocket.... so quickly removing the wallet from pocket will be difficult while you are being distracted by a pickpocket's accomplice.

2829A87600000578-3060621-image-a-4_1430387766197.jpg

And the distractions will be very good... such as a beverage spilled on you by a pretty girl, a person tripping/falling down near you, someone asking for directions, etc.

A lot of posters in this thread said they take extra precautions and become ultra aware in sketchy places or shady areas.
Just think, trying to determine that makes you racist by today's standards

I had the exact same experience....except it was my regular doctor that tipped me off about that whole wallet-in-back-pocket thing.
Also haven't had any real back issues for about the same length of time.

A lot of posters in this thread said they take extra precautions and become ultra aware in sketchy places or shady areas.

Not if you're using u.s census data to determine 'shady '

Happened to my Mom (guess not technically a pickpocket?) in front of our family in front of our family in late 70s at a Chock Full O Nuts Coffeehouse or similar on way to King Tut Exhibit. Mom stupidly had pocketbook on floor under the "bar table".

A smart "pickpocket" saw and happened top spill change leading up to Mom. Grabbed the wallet and my Mom saw fairly quickly but not quckly enough. I was fairly sure it was a woman at the cashier but didn't say anything.

Last edited:

Dude, you ever been to Italy ?
Over there your best defense is to put some dummy, empty wallets in both back pockets
and your wallet in your briefs....and hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Reactions: RU_DIO
If it walks like a duck, well you know the rest,lol.

I watched a show about pickpockets in Rome. A couple showed how they do it. They didn't seem to care if anyone knew because they're just so good. Simply amazing the slight of hand.

When we went to Italy MrScrew bought himself a tactical concealed carry cross body bag that he carried all of our important stuff in. Lots of buckles & zippers & made of a material that is difficult to cut through.

When visiting family in Naples and Rome, all gold would come off and wallets put in front pocket.

Happened to me twice, both times in Barcelona. First time I was in high school and was an idiot and fell for the whole "distraction" strategy but I really had next to nothing to lose. Second time I was in my mid twenties, had the wallet in my front pocket and caught the guy with his hand in my pocket. We locked eyes, he let go, laughed, and moved along.

Happened to me twice, both times in Barcelona. First time I was in high school and was an idiot and fell for the whole "distraction" strategy but I really had next to nothing to lose. Second time I was in my mid twenties, had the wallet in my front pocket and caught the guy with his hand in my pocket. We locked eyes, he let go, laughed, and moved along.
Was it at least good for you?

Sounds like he got the wrong pocket. Your post would have been a little longer.

Sounds like the low on the leg, button pockets of cargo shorts would be easy pickins for these experts.

avoid people by at least 3 feet and have zippered pockets... and if all else fails... glock'em down

Another great tip is to never change your underwear during your vacation. Never brush your teeth. Never shower. Also never whipe your but after taking aduece. Snort a lot when you talk, like every other word. Always be sure to announce it and left up one leg every time you fart. Also yell out BEGONE SATAN!!! and start to run and then stop like nothing happen every hour on the hour.

Pickpockets will get nowhere near you if you do this.

Must be nice to always have lived in great towns. I grew up in a city and sketchy has nothing to do with racism.

Wife's cousin was in Barcelona walking through park. Guy and a woman squirt a white liquid onto the husbands back then claim a bird crapped on his shoulder and they help him clean his jacket. 20 min later he goes to buy an ice cream pulls out his wallet and has no cash. the pickpocket was so good he took the cash and put the wallet back.

We keep all our important stuff zippered in my camera bag inside pocket. You would have to mug me to get it. and we use the hotel safe as much as possible.

Wife's cousin was in Barcelona walking through park. Guy and a woman squirt a white liquid onto the husbands back then claim a bird crapped on his shoulder and they help him clean his jacket. 20 min later he goes to buy an ice cream pulls out his wallet and has no cash. the pickpocket was so good he took the cash and put the wallet back.

We keep all our important stuff zippered in my camera bag inside pocket. You would have to mug me to get it. and we use the hotel safe as much as possible.
----
Very considerate of the pick pocket...... At least the victim has his other personals

Another great tip is to never change your underwear during your vacation. Never brush your teeth. Never shower. Also never whipe your but after taking aduece. Snort a lot when you talk, like every other word. Always be sure to announce it and left up one leg every time you fart. Also yell out BEGONE SATAN!!! and start to run and then stop like nothing happen every hour on the hour.

Pickpockets will get nowhere near you if you do this.

Uh, I think I just figured out why Caliknight never gets pickpocketed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT