ADVERTISEMENT

OT- placing a bet on a team you hate to win a championship

apgoosebumps

Senior
Sep 26, 2003
Im a die hard Devils fan and it would kill me to see the Rangers win the cup. So as a way to slightly offset my pain were this to happen, I just placed a $100 dollar bet on the Rangers to win the cup (10-1 odds). Of course Im hoping I lose the bet but figured this is a good hedge. Anyone ever do something similar?

This post was edited on 3/12 11:14 PM by apgoosebumps

Originally posted by apgoosebumps:
Im a die hard Devils fan and it would kill me to see the Rangers win the cup. So as a way to slightly offset my pain were this to happen, I just placed a $100 dollar bet on the Rangers to win the cup (10-1 odds). Of course Im hoping I lose the bet but figured this is a good hedge. Anyone ever do something similar?

I did the same thing in 1989. Bet on State Penn over RU in the A-10 final. Put $20 on the Nits - 4:1 odds no points. Best $20 I ever spent. Better than winning $5.

I always do this, bet on the team I hate to make up for the anger, and people always said I was mental... Glad I'm not the only one! I won 25 bucks against Penn State this year but lost it all against Maryland, well worth it for the Terps though!

Originally posted by RUwoz:
I always do this, bet on the team I hate to make up for the anger, and people always said I was mental... Glad I'm not the only one!
Guess this makes us bet-tards.

I generally bet against Rutgers Football. I figure the Gods of betting want my money more than the Gods of football want me sad.

When I used to gamble, I had the philosophy that a good gambler doesn't hate anyone and you never bet on teams you love because those emotions cloud rational thought. So yo answer your question, I've never done something similar. However, I think the best you placed was a good one. I would consider placing two Stanley Cup bets, one on the Rangers and the other on the Wild since these two teams are playing better than anyone in their conference with a month remaining in the season. I am somewhat concerned with Minnesota's goaltending because they're riding Dubnyk's hotstreak hard and I am skeptical he can maintain this level over the next three months.

Ah, the classic Hated Team Hedge. I've often thought of this scenario. You just have to ask yourself, how much is it worth to you to see you most hated team lose?

I did that in the Super Bowl, bet $100 on the Pats, I was still pissed that they won.

ADVERTISEMENT