ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for those that follow soccer

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
I do not follow soccer but of course it is in the news now because of the World Cup. I do know that FIFA is the corrupt governing body going and the whole controversy of Qatar hosting has been news for a while. The last couple days I have been reading how FIFA threatens nations about what their players can wear and might disqualify players if they don't listen to their mandates.

Question is this, why can't the major nations splinter away from FIFA and start anew and pull the power from those that are being paid off and corrupt. Has this been tried in the past?

Because despite all of that, everyone is making a ton of money?

All of the confederations around the world are also conduits to the money. There’d be no consensus to give up all that cash and everything that goes with it.

Reactions: Kbee3
To me, FIFA is the same as the NCAA...while everyone complains about them, all of the member countries (or member institutions in the case of the NCAA) are the ones voting the leaders into place, agreeing to the rules, etc. And the leaders are all about maximizing $$$, which is exactly what all of the countries/schools want in the end.

It's no different than the Olympic committee. The corruption runs deep and also to the highest levels of government.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT