ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for those who are/were receiving Covid-19 related NJ UI Benefits

alden1

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
Did anyone receive more than 8 base weeks/ exhaust their max. benefit amount after initial filing and then automatically qualify for an extension of benefits under the Cares Act? Asking for a friend. Thanks.

No, we're one of the households still waiting for payment on a claim opened 11 weeks ago. (hundreds of calls, emails, including all legislative reps)

I don't get the 8 base weeks question. If I got it correct...UEB is 26 weeks plus an additional 13 now due to Cares and the Fed $600 was from like end of March thru July 31st. (13 weeks?)

No, we're one of the households still waiting for payment on a claim opened 11 weeks ago. (hundreds of calls, emails, including all legislative reps)

I don't get the 8 base weeks question. If I got it correct...UEB is 26 weeks plus an additional 13 now due to Cares and the Fed $600 was from like end of March thru July 31st. (13 weeks?)
Still waiting..what the heck?!?!?!?!?!??!

I'm sorry to hear that you're STILL waiting for your benefits.. My friends on line application was quickly processed the 1st week in April and the following week he received in the mail an unsigned computer generated Notice of Benefit Determination stating 8 Base Weeks, a Weekly Benefit Rate Amount and a Maximium Benefit Amount( which was equal to the Weekly Benefit Rate X 8 weeks). After 5 weeks of receiving benefits he received another unsigned computer generated Notice of Exhaustion of Unemployment Benefits stating that he would soon exhaust all of his benefits (which has occurred after 8 weeks) and unfortunately no additional Federal or State assistance would be available hence the 8 base weeks question. The NJ Dept. of LWD web site indicates in the FAQ section that Covid-19 related benefits would automatically be extended upon exhaustion of benefits without any further action required but apparently thats not true?

My wife was on UE before COVID and it ran out of the 26 weeks as of last week. It automatically TE-filled this week with the 13 weeks.
Interesting enough, here additional 600 did not get deposited as usual. Waiting on that

My wife was on UE before COVID and it ran out of the 26 weeks as of last week. It automatically TE-filled this week with the 13 weeks.
Interesting enough, here additional 600 did not get deposited as usual. Waiting on that
Same as my friend this week, umh.

Didn’t get the 600?
Did it take all 26 weeks for your wife to exhaust her maximum benefit amount? Or was it determined when she first filed that she would automatically get 26 weeks of her determined weekly rate ?

Did it take all 26 weeks for your wife to exhaust her maximum benefit amount? Or was it determined when she first filed that she would automatically get 26 weeks of her determined weekly rate ?
It is the same thing- they determine the weekly rate and then apply it as her max benefit. So, last week, the 26 weeks and max benefit amount exhausted at exact same time. Good news is that it worked exactly as they said. She checked this week and max benefit reloaded and it is exactly 13 weeks of her pre determined amount of weekly benefits

It is the same thing- they determine the weekly rate and then apply it as her max benefit. So, last week, the 26 weeks and max benefit amount exhausted at exact same time. Good news is that it worked exactly as they said. She checked this week and max benefit reloaded and it is exactly 13 weeks of her pre determined amount of weekly benefits
Did your wife receive a computer generated Notice of Exhaustion of Unemployment Benefits by mail a few weeks before her benefits were to be exhausted?

Still waiting..what the heck?!?!?!?!?!??!

No here's amother protest that should have already been assembled and happening. I am thrilled for those getting the coverage. I am outraged for those of us getting totally screwedbyvthis high incompetent system, dept., and (lack of leadership and willingness) to fix.

Reactions: Jm0513
I'm sorry to hear that you're STILL waiting for your benefits.. My friends on line application was quickly processed the 1st week in April and the following week he received in the mail an unsigned computer generated Notice of Benefit Determination stating 8 Base Weeks, a Weekly Benefit Rate Amount and a Maximium Benefit Amount( which was equal to the Weekly Benefit Rate X 8 weeks). After 5 weeks of receiving benefits he received another unsigned computer generated Notice of Exhaustion of Unemployment Benefits stating that he would soon exhaust all of his benefits (which has occurred after 8 weeks) and unfortunately no additional Federal or State assistance would be available hence the 8 base weeks question. The NJ Dept. of LWD web site indicates in the FAQ section that Covid-19 related benefits would automatically be extended upon exhaustion of benefits without any further action required but apparently thats not true?
Out of curiosity if you don’t mind me asking, was your friend collecting unemployment within a year prior to reopening a claim, that’s the only reason I could think of for only 8 weeks of benefits or was he not working within the period of time that they add together to come to a total that can be paid out on his claim.

Out of curiosity if you don’t mind me asking, was your friend collecting unemployment within a year prior to reopening a claim, that’s the only reason I could think of for only 8 weeks of benefits or was he not working within the period of time that they add together to come to a total that can be paid out on his claim.
He's never collected unemployment before and has worked steadily for decades.

If you go to the DOL Facebook page you can find hundreds if not thousands of additional reasons for the pathetic total lack of competence in dealing with this cluster.
This experience is one for the ages. The self promotion of advancements in processing claims and total inability to address even the simplest of things (answer the phone) is criminal.

Every week my State Sen. Rep tells me about another "system" they put in place to at least connect with people and everyday...NOTHING. THEY SUCK AND THE GOVERNOR'S LACK OF INTEREST TO FIX SUCKS.

Last edited:
He's never collected unemployment before and has worked steadily for decades.
I hear so many stories most bad experiences in regards to people trying to collect unemployment, with all the taxes we pay in NJ you would think we’d have a state of the art system in place, I hope your friend gets back all the benefits he’s being denied now as soon as possible.

I hear Bank of America had a glitch in the system and that’s why the 600. Was delayed for a few days. Seems a lot of banks been having problems lately, now a days I don’t feel as safe keeping money in the bank , times have changed.

So how did she find out that her benefits were being extended? By email?
By me googling. She never received anything. To notify her. We stressed when her account was at $0 but then she logged in this week and it was automatically replenished with 13 weeks value. You won’t see a change until it hits $0

By me googling. She never received anything. To notify her. We stressed when her account was at $0 but then she logged in this week and it was automatically replenished with 13 weeks value. You won’t see a change until it hits $0
Ok, thanks.

I hear Bank of America had a glitch in the system and that’s why the 600. Was delayed for a few days. Seems a lot of banks been having problems lately, now a days I don’t feel as safe keeping money in the bank , times have changed.

From the site:
PAYMENT UPDATE: Bank of America, the bank that processes payments for the state, did not receive any payment files sent electronically by the state of New Jersey over the weekend because of an issue with the bank's system. As a result of this transmission failure, customers -- including those receiving unemployment benefits -- may have experienced a temporary disruption in their payments. The state has been working around the clock with the bank, and, as a result, many unemployment customers received payment via direct deposit or on their debit cards Tuesday morning. Anyone with an account at a smaller bank should see their payment by Wednesday. We regret the inconvenience the bank system maintenance has caused.

Reactions: Zimm80
ADVERTISEMENT