ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. Costco Amex Card

dollarbill

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
If you use this card you obviously know it's cancelled as of June 20th. You also know to change any automatic payments using this card. What I'm not sure of is if they will shut down the Amex website. I have downloaded my 2015 Summary and all 2016 Statements to date. This was not a friendly transition. Good luck. $$$$

Reactions: IMARUFAN
If you use this card you obviously know it's cancelled as of June 20th. You also know to change any automatic payments using this card. What I'm not sure of is if they will shut down the Amex website. I have downloaded my 2015 Summary and all 2016 Statements to date. This was not a friendly transition. Good luck. $$$$

The website is staying. I got a different Amex cash-back card to replace the Costco one and I go to the same website. But I had to create a different account for the new card.

The Web site is staying but I think your access to that account will be shut off. I downloaded all my recent statements. Already received my new visa card and rewards are better than the AMEX. Not sure why anyone would apply for the new similar AMEX that they keep in offering. You automatically get the new visa no application or credit check. And visa is accepted at more places than AMEX

The Web site is staying but I think your access to that account will be shut off. I downloaded all my recent statements. Already received my new visa card and rewards are better than the AMEX. Not sure why anyone would apply for the new similar AMEX that they keep in offering. You automatically get the new visa no application or credit check. And visa is accepted at more places than AMEX
I thought they wouldn't accept any Amex going forward? I've been shopping worthwhile Visa's for this transition.

Agreed. I was shopping a new replacement until I I discovered the new Costco Visa perks.

I think they have a generous cash back offer for spending the first 1k using the new Amex. I haven't looked at the fine print yet.

The best credit card on the market is the Fidelity Amex card 2% cash back on everything no limit. Mihgt have to look into the Costco visa though. 4% back on gas is hard to turn down....

I thought they wouldn't accept any Amex going forward? I've been shopping worthwhile Visa's for this transition.
By they I meant AMEX. You are correct costco won't accept AMEX. AMEX has been trying to get costco members to sign up for a new AMEX card that has similar benefits to the Costco card but has no relation to Costco

How good is the deal on Costco gas? I pass by the Teterboro Costco every day and see lines of cars at the gas station all the time.

How good is the deal on Costco gas? I pass by the Teterboro Costco every day and see lines of cars at the gas station all the time.

Depending on the day it could be 6 to 10 cents cheaper.......when gas was real high I have seen costco as much as 12 to 15 cents cheaper than a local in town (non highway) station.

I think they have a generous cash back offer for spending the first 1k using the new Amex. I haven't looked at the fine print yet.
Yeah, I just got yet another email from Amex on this card. The Blue cash everyday card. The promotion is get $250 if you spend $1,000 in first 3 months. But the rewards aren't as good as the new Costco/Citi Visa. The Blue cash Amex offers 3% at grocery, 2% at gas and select department stores and 1% on everything else. The new costco/citi visa is 4% gas, 3% Restaurants and Travel, 2% at Costco and Coscto.com and 1% on everything else. Even with the $250 promotion its not even a close decision.

Yeah, I just got yet another email from Amex on this card. The Blue cash everyday card. The promotion is get $250 if you spend $1,000 in first 3 months. But the rewards aren't as good as the new Costco/Citi Visa. The Blue cash Amex offers 3% at grocery, 2% at gas and select department stores and 1% on everything else. The new costco/citi visa is 4% gas, 3% Restaurants and Travel, 2% at Costco and Coscto.com and 1% on everything else. Even with the $250 promotion its not even a close decision.
Blue used to be the gold standard here. I still have a grandfathered card: 1% for first $6500, then 5% on gas/market/pharms.

"The Big Costco Credit Card Switcharoo"

"Why should anybody care? Well, if you don't shop at Costco, there's probably not much reason. But, if you are one of the millions of Americans who like to buy 12-packs of paper-towel rolls or 30-pound boxes of frozen beef patties, then here's what you need to know:"

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/20/482797151/the-big-costco-credit-card-switcharoo

The best credit card on the market is the Fidelity Amex card 2% cash back on everything no limit. Mihgt have to look into the Costco visa though. 4% back on gas is hard to turn down....
Fidelity is dropping the Amex card within the next month. It's being replaced with a Visa but will have the same cash back. This has been known for about 6 months.

Say what you want about Amex but if I am in a dispute with a merchant there is no credit card company that I would want to be standing behind me more than American Express. They will stand up for you in your dispute far better than any Visa or Mastercard issuer will.

Chase Freedom is offering 5% cash back at wholesale store such as Costco for the next 6 months in addition to the usual categories.

The fidelity cash back rate maybe changing as well this year

This is pretty easy to game. You take advantage of the desperate Amex offers to get the quick cash and then use the new Costco Visa as your long term card. In this case, grab the Amex offer, charge $1000 of stuff, whatever it is or where doesn't matter, then pay that bill off, collect your $250, and move on to whatever permanent value prop is best. I did this earlier this year with a $500 offer from Amex if I spent $3,000 in 3 months. Pretty easy to do these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT