ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. - Earnie Shavers

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Generally regarded as the hardest hitter during the heavyweight division's heyday in the 70s has passed away at age 78. His list of opponents looks like a who's who of heavyweights of that time.
Ali once made this comment about Shavers describing how hard he hit: “Earnie hit me so hard, it shook my kinfolk in Africa.”
R.I.P.

Generally regarded as the hardest hitter during the heavyweight division's heyday in the 70s has passed away at age 78. His list of opponents looks like a who's who of heavyweights of that time.
Ali once made this comment about Shavers describing how hard he hit: “Earnie hit me so hard, it shook my kinfolk in Africa.”
R.I.P.

A legend from the glory days of boxing. RIP.

Remember him well, saw him fight more than a few times. RIP

R.I.P.

That's a great quote from Ali! I do remember him. Boxing was still huge back then, not as much today. Back then, I followed the lower weight fights more: Sugar Ray, Hearns, Duran, etc. I got into it a little after watching the US Boxing team during the Montreal Olympics in 1976.

Reactions: colbert17
That's a great quote from Ali! I do remember him. Boxing was still huge back then, not as much today. Back then, I followed the lower weight fights more: Sugar Ray, Hearns, Duran, etc. I got into it a little after watching the US Boxing team during the Montreal Olympics in 1976.
Hagler - Hearns is still the greatest fight I ever saw. In the first round those two guys threw more punches than Floyd Mayweather has thrown in his entire career.

Shavers fought Ron Lyle, another really tough guy on TV in 1976. Great fight between two of the hardest punchers in boxing. Right up there with Hagler - Hearns. Man I really miss boxing the glory days of boxing.

Don’t forget Hagler. I was at Hearns vs Hagler and Hearns Leonard II.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Great fighter from the golden age of heavyweights. If I remember correctly, he was up for the Clubber Lang role in Rocky lll. He didn't get it because he had trouble pulling his punches. RIP.

I think the knock against him was that if he didn't knock a fighter out early, then he would tire out. He was not built to go long distance. He lived long for a boxer. It almost feels like that this is one sport that is extinct.
I don't even know who the heavyweight champion is right now. In the old days, this was the most popular athlete in the world.
Didn't that happen with Ali?

Ernie was one of the fighters that made the sport great during the time he fought.
RIP Mr. Shavers

Ken Norton vs Earnie Shavers // Highlights (The best win of Shavers career) - YouTube

Larry Holmes Vs Earnie Shavers II HIGHLIGHTS HD 60 FPS | September 29, 1979 - YouTube

Last edited:
Ali was the most recognized person on the planet. The Zaire natives chanted ali bumaye to him during the lead up and the foreman fight

The 70's had the best heavyweights but I was a baby. When Tyson came up I was a teenager and got to enjoy watching him when he was the best in the world.

I remember Hearns breaking his hand. Wonder what would have happened had he not gotten hurt during the fight. I was a fan of both of these fighters.
Yes, Tommy landed a straight right hand bomb to Marvin’s forehead, stopped him dead in his tracks, but Tommy broke his right hand on the punch. After that Tommy couldn’t throw a straight right, all his rights were hooks and Marvin walked right through them. Marvin took Tommy’s legs out and he was done.

One of the best fights I ever saw was even lighter fighters, Lupe Pintor vs Bazooka Gomez. That was a war, back and forth. Gomez the bigger fighter finally wore Pintor down, who moved up a weight class for this fight.

Yes, Tommy landed a straight right hand bomb to Marvin’s forehead, stopped him dead in his tracks, but Tommy broke his right hand on the punch. After that Tommy couldn’t throw a straight right, all his rights were hooks and Marvin walked right through them. Marvin took Tommy’s legs out and he was done.

One of the best fights I ever saw was even lighter fighters, Lupe Pintor vs Bazooka Gomez. That was a war, back and forth. Gomez the bigger fighter finally wore Pintor down, who moved up a weight class for this fight.
Did not see that fight but will have to find it. As far as lighter weights went Ray Mancini vs. Alexis Arguello was a pretty good one as well iirc.

Reactions: MadRU

Look up the Hearns - Duran fight. Right hand put Duran out before he hit the canvas. Unreal shot

Then Gomez got the same treatment when he eventually moved up to challenge the late, great Salvador Sanchez.

Last edited:
Look up the Hearns - Duran fight. Right hand put Duran out before he hit the canvas. Unreal shot
Did you see the fight when Hearns won his first title vs Cuevas? Check that one out. Cuevas had 12 title defenses coming into the fight, he did the dance of dizziness on spaghetti legs in the second round.

Great fighter from the golden age of heavyweights. If I remember correctly, he was up for the Clubber Lang role in Rocky lll. He didn't get it because he had trouble pulling his punches. RIP.
He also didn't have a voice that matched his look and producers turned him down

Did you see the fight when Hearns won his first title vs Cuevas? Check that one out. Cuevas had 12 title defenses coming into the fight, he did the dance of dizziness on spaghetti legs in the second round.
Yeah hearns had crazy power and leverage. It was hard to see how he made weight with his frame

Reactions: MadRU
Shavers fought Ron Lyle, another really tough guy on TV in 1976. Great fight between two of the hardest punchers in boxing. Right up there with Hagler - Hearns. Man I really miss boxing the glory days of boxing.
I think you're confusing Foreman - Lyle. Shavers fought Lyle in 1975 and it was also a slugfest. The Foreman - Lyle fight that was also on ABC free tv was an even more savage affair. Thought they both might be carted off on stretchers. Both guys were thoroughly beaten at several points and Foreman just put him down one last time and he couldn't get up.

While Tyson was great, timing didn't hurt. If he came on the scene in 1972 we wouldn't think of him the same. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Norton, and dare I say Jerry Quarry. LOL but he beat Shavers and Lyle somehow in their prime - in the same year (1973).

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
I think you're confusing Foreman - Lyle. Shavers fought Lyle in 1975 and it was also a slugfest. The Foreman - Lyle fight that was also on ABC free tv was an even more savage affair. Thought they both might be carted off on stretchers. Both guys were thoroughly beaten at several points and Foreman just put him down one last time and he couldn't get up.

While Tyson was great, timing didn't hurt. If he came on the scene in 1972 we wouldn't think of him the same. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Norton, and dare I say Jerry Quarry. LOL but he beat Shavers and Lyle somehow in their prime - in the same year (1973).
The Lyle - Shavers fight was also a slugfest. IIRC and it has been many years, Lyle was knocked down in the early rounds 1st or second but came back to knock Shavers out in the middle rounds. Two tough guys in an era of great heavyweights.

Reactions: HeywoodGiant

Why are you dumping on Quarry? He was a terrific fighter

ADVERTISEMENT