ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Really long friendships.

My two good friends I met sophomore/junior year of high school and we see each other often. One of them I see once a week. We cook and watch This is Us...lol
I could never end that friendship, she knows way too much about me. 🤣
I'm also close with my first bf from HS which is over 20yrs ago. I guess when you spend so much time with someone and it ends in a civil way there is no need to burn bridges.
I have a plethora of female friends! It initially infuriated my wife, Judy. But she likes them all now too!

Reactions: Jm0513
Have a neighbor that I have known from around 1955 and good friends with that I see occasionally ( live in different states) and stay in contact with by phone, e-mail and social media.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
No Chitlins, but finally like a little mayo on a sandwich. Used to hate it. I always hated rice. Wouldn’t touch it, but I went to a pig roast in South Carolina with a hunting club (token non hunter lol) and they had rice in gravy. Now I can at least get it down. Also got to like lemonade a bit more, but I never took to Sweet Tea.

No Chitlins, but finally like a little mayo on a sandwich. Used to hate it. I always hated rice. Wouldn’t touch it, but I went to a pig roast in South Carolina with a hunting club (token non hunter lol) and they had rice in gravy. Now I can at least get it down. Also got to like lemonade a bit more, but I never took to Sweet Tea.

You and I need to have dinner South of the Mason-Dixon Line someday. A new culinary world awaits!

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Last weekend was my 49th semi annual get together with my friends. Yeah, 49 years. Looking forward to next year! We used to camp out on rivers and lakes in Arkansas, sleeping under the stars, cooking fish we caught for lunch/dinner, embellishing stories of younger, more inebriated days. Discussing loves lost or won, fortunes made and/or squandered, kid issues, ex-wives, new wives, career challenges and politics. We still discuss many of the same topics, but we are all stable in careers and relationships now, thank God.

Most of us are 64-67 in age, about 10 people in total, many of us went to 3 different high schools in Central Arkansas. Some are poor and never made much money, 3-4 are worth over $20,000,000 each. Yet, we have stayed friends through thick, and thin.

just wondering, do any of you get together with friends on a regular basis? We get together twice a year, usually spring and fall. No kids, no spouses. Just the guys. Good food(yeah, I am the main cook), good whiskey, good stories, good poker playing, now great accommodations, decent fishing. No bragging, just fun. 4 have passed away in 49 years.

Do you do much the same? Or is this unique?
did the 3-4 go into business together or all made that much money separately?

Just had a beer at my buddy who I've been friends with for 25 years or so. We became friends just after HS.

My best bud I've been friends with for 15 years or so. I see him fairly regurlarly.

Some of my longer term friends we see maybe once or twice a year.

My hockey buddies, which are more recently made, are weekly post game chill outs.

Getting old is a privilege denied to many people.

Had I known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!
Maybe it's the not taking the best of care of yourself that allowed you to live as long as you have.
As for me, would have died of boredom if I did everything recommended to make it to the ripe old age I'm at now.
Why do I say I'm at a ripe age, wife claims I leave the bathroom smelling a little ripe and makes me close the door after doing what bears do in the woods :flush:[roll]

Madhat, when people started doing away with outhouses, wasn’t there anybody out there who raised their hand and said you know going to the bathroom ten feet from where you eat or read a book/talk after supper/listen to music might not be the best way to go lol. I mean, really it is very disgusting when you think about it to go to the bathroom right where you live. Didn’t anybody say why don’t we make a long hallway off the side of the house or put it in the garage ? lol

Maybe it's the not taking the best of care of yourself that allowed you to live as long as you have.
As for me, would have died of boredom if I did everything recommended to make it to the ripe old age I'm at now.
Why do I say I'm at a ripe age, wife claims I leave the bathroom smelling a little ripe and makes me close the door after doing what bears do in the woods :flush:[roll]

Funny stuff Madhat1.

Perhaps a tad bit too much information, but funny nevertheless.

what are the odds

Now that you said that, it makes me think that they really beat the odds. I know many of the struggles that they had in their early years, but they all persevered through the years and reaped substantial rewards.

I sometimes wish that my perseverance would have paid off now more than it did, but, hey, that’s life. I have regrets, but then again, too few to mention.

I gotta listen to some Sinatra today!

Reactions: Greg2020
Madhat, when people started doing away with outhouses, wasn’t there anybody out there who raised their hand and said you know going to the bathroom ten feet from where you eat or read a book/talk after supper/listen to music might not be the best way to go lol. I mean, really it is very disgusting when you think about it to go to the bathroom right where you live. Didn’t anybody say why don’t we make a long hallway off the side of the house or put it in the garage ? lol
Wait! You are saying that people now DON‘T have to go outside to use the bathroom?

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I'm 69 yet remain best friends with someone I literally have known since the age of 1 --yes virtually my entire life. We grew up together in NJ, both went to Rutgers ( RC, '73) , we're both lawyers but I'm retired and he still practices, and he's lived in NJ his entire life while I've lived in Massachusetts the past 40 years. Nevertheless , when we meet and or talk, it's like we just saw one another the other day. It's truly a lifelong friendship and we've never had an argument. Never. Great guy, great person, and he'd give you the shirt off his back.

My seatmate at the Stadium and I have known each other since we were patrol boys in Harrison in 1963.

Not wishing to hijack our visiting friend's thread,but I'd be curious to know how many of us still live in the same town in which we grew up?

Tell that to the people that put in a shit-hole to hold their waste then try to pretty it up by calling it a septic tank.
Let that overflow and long time friends will avoid visiting you .
Hell, your neighbors will hire a crop duster to spray Eau de Parfum on your property

My seatmate at the Stadium and I have known each other since we were patrol boys in Harrison in 1963.

Not wishing to hijack our visiting friend's thread,but I'd be curious to know how many of us still live in the same town in which we grew up?

I still live in Little Rock.

I consider myself blessed to have an amazing long-time friend group. Most of us are in our early sixties, and we have a great string of events that keep us active and in touch. When we hit 50, twelve of us did the week long rafting trip down the Colorado River. This June, we will be doing the Middle fork of the Salmon River in Idaho. We do a golf, bowling, and bocci outing every year, along with regular poker games. I’ve had guys in their 30s and 40s ask how we still do it. Hope it continues for a long time.

I consider myself blessed to have an amazing long-time friend group. Most of us are in our early sixties, and we have a great string of events that keep us active and in touch. When we hit 50, twelve of us did the week long rafting trip down the Colorado River. This June, we will be doing the Middle fork of the Salmon River in Idaho. We do a golf, bowling, and bocci outing every year, along with regular poker games. I’ve had guys in their 30s and 40s ask how we still do it. Hope it continues for a long time.
That’s what I am talking about!
Blessed man with great friends!

Reactions: Njbound1
I'm 69 yet remain best friends with someone I literally have known since the age of 1 --yes virtually my entire life. We grew up together in NJ, both went to Rutgers ( RC, '73) , we're both lawyers but I'm retired and he still practices, and he's lived in NJ his entire life while I've lived in Massachusetts the past 40 years. Nevertheless , when we meet and or talk, it's like we just saw one another the other day. It's truly a lifelong friendship and we've never had an argument. Never. Great guy, great person, and he'd give you the shirt off his back.
you don't fight over politics?

you don't fight over politics?
nope , we rarely discuss politics and he's a lifelong "old school" democrat , prominent in AIPAC , and is on first name basis with many top democrats. And he's alarmed by the leftward shift of the democrat party.
Ps--BTW , my experience is that liberals have a much harder time dealing with anyone with different views than do conservatives and republicans.

My best friend from HS moved to NC for college and stayed there, and we drifted apart. I googled him just last year and to my shock his obituary popped up. It is weird because I remember those years as a kid so well. Yes what you have is rare, it is hard to even have best friends who had the same upbringing and have the same interests and just click when together. Most people have casual friends.

I have been very lucky in life. Through no particularly redeeming quality of my own, I have defied the odds that are stacked based on race and zip code. I'm in my mid 50's. Of the 10 or so guys that were close friends when I was 12, 3 died before age 30 -one murdered (unsolved) and two drugs, 2 have spent significant time in prison, 1 is a union butcher, 1 went to the Navy and has had his struggles but is pretty much OK, 2 I have no idea of, and 1 is me. For me the difference was sports and parents. I went a different route starting right before high school and drifted away from the gang. I have three good friends from high schools sports and one former coach that I am still close with. They are my family beyond my family.

Y’all’s very fortunate. Moved around too much to maintain ties, even to family. Most social contacts with neighbors where now live. Luckily kids families reasonably close

Hard to beat the length and connection of my best friend. Our Parents had known each other- not as great friends but in a small town, good enough friends that we would always be at the same functions and things like that. My mom and his mom were in the hospital together and I was borne the day before he was. That experience made our parents all that closer where they started to share things like 1st BD parties and such. So- my friendship with my best friend is literally from the day we were born until now.

And yes, I have used, at different times, both a one holer and a two holer.

Droppin' one down in a hole you just dug into the dirt is one of the unheralded joys of life not appreciated by nearly enough people.

To segue that back to topic, I've tried to convince my buddies I meet up with near annually for camping/mountain biking/hiking trips to make the trips free, primitive, #@$!-in-your-own-hole camping, but they insist upon the convenience of an outhouse. Divas.

One I've known since the 3rd grade and started several lifelong hobbies with while growing up, another we befriended in HS.

My father, RU class of 1932, remained very friendly with a classmate of his after graduation. The classmate's son and I were introduced to each other as babies. We (both class of 1964) became roommates when we were at Rutgers. We and our respective wives continue to be good friends. So, since the fathers met each other as freshmen in 1928, it will be 93 years of family friendship in September.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT