ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Recumbent exercise bike and treadmill

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
My wife and I would both like to get home exercise equipment -- we're sufficiently immunocompromised that we don't feel comfortable going to gyms.

My wife would do best with a recumbent exercise bike. I used to use my bike on a bike trainer, but somewhere along the line one of my knees started hating that. So I would prefer a treadmill on which I could walk briskly.

I see that a lot of models come with features like videos of trails and the ability to be in touch with an instructor. That would be nice, but that's not really a priority for us. What we need is equipment that is sturdy, long-lasting, easy to use (e.g. the bike has to be step-through rather than have a top bar) -- and safe. (For that reason, I would never want a treadmill with a narrow belt even though I'd only be walking.)

It would be nice if the equipment could fold, but that's not a drop-dead issue either.

We would probably shop at Dick's or someplace like that. We're down in South Jersey, but we would travel for a good store if this is one. Yes, we'd save money buying on-line, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to set up equipment like this and I'd like us (especially my wife) to have a chance to try out a piece of equipment before buying it.

A lot of you are athletic, so I thought this would be a good place to seek advice. Thanks for whatever help you can give. Best wishes for the holiday season!!

One of the best stores in central NJ for fitness equipment is Fitness Lifestyles in Ocean Twp. They used to have a huge store in Asbury Park with a vast display of equipment. Have not been to their new store. But they have been in business a long time and they know what they are doing.

Personally, I would avoid the big box stores like Dicks.

There may be a similar store in your locale.

As far as bells and whistles like video, I agree with you. Years ago I bought a classic Airdyne exercise bike off of Craigslist. If I want to watcha video, I turn on the TV and use blue tooth earbuds. Opinions and needs vary, but I don't see the allure of some of the video options of riding through mountains etc.

As an aside, resistance and strength training is important, especially as we age. Sarcopenia is an issue. Consider bodyweight resistance exercise such as pullups, pushups and dips a few times per week.

Last edited:
I bought a sole f63 this past year and am extremely happy with it. I did not need/want any of the apps etc, just a sturdy, reliable machine I could run on that could go to 12mph.

My wife and I would both like to get home exercise equipment -- we're sufficiently immunocompromised that we don't feel comfortable going to gyms.

My wife would do best with a recumbent exercise bike. I used to use my bike on a bike trainer, but somewhere along the line one of my knees started hating that. So I would prefer a treadmill on which I could walk briskly.

I see that a lot of models come with features like videos of trails and the ability to be in touch with an instructor. That would be nice, but that's not really a priority for us. What we need is equipment that is sturdy, long-lasting, easy to use (e.g. the bike has to be step-through rather than have a top bar) -- and safe. (For that reason, I would never want a treadmill with a narrow belt even though I'd only be walking.)

It would be nice if the equipment could fold, but that's not a drop-dead issue either.

We would probably shop at Dick's or someplace like that. We're down in South Jersey, but we would travel for a good store if this is one. Yes, we'd save money buying on-line, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to set up equipment like this and I'd like us (especially my wife) to have a chance to try out a piece of equipment before buying it.

A lot of you are athletic, so I thought this would be a good place to seek advice. Thanks for whatever help you can give. Best wishes for the holiday season!!
As far as your knee pain on your bike trainer it was probably a fitting issue. Seat too low, high. Most often the seat isn't level to the ground. A little pointing down can cause pain over time. When I say a little I mean not by eyeing it but using a level. As you peddle your knees works to keep you from sliding closer to the front of the seat which can cause pain and do damage. As far as no bells and whistles is fine as long as you can watch TV or somehow keep your mind occupied. Boredom is your biggest enemy to working out indoors.

Reactions: Jimpeg and 29PAS
As far as your knee pain on your bike trainer it was probably a fitting issue. Seat too low, high. Most often the seat isn't level to the ground. A little pointing down can cause pain over time. When I say a little I mean not by eyeing it but using a level. As you peddle your knees works to keep you from sliding closer to the front of the seat which can cause pain and do damage. As far as no bells and whistles is fine as long as you can watch TV or somehow keep your mind occupied. Boredom is your biggest enemy to working out indoors.
Thanks! I had pedaled for years before the problem started, but you may be right. I'll check it out. I didn't have any bells or whistles with the bike: I just listened to music on a walkman.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Thanks for that! Been experiencing mild knee pain after a new seat was installed. Need to check seat level.

Thanks! I had pedaled for years before the problem started, but you may be right. I'll check it out. I didn't have any bells or whistles with the bike: I just listened to music on a walkman.
Have you and your wife considered a rower? Always lends itself to a good cardio workout. Just a suggestion.

One of the best stores in central NJ for fitness equipment is Fitness Lifestyles in Ocean Twp. They used to have a huge store in Asbury Park with a vast display of equipment. Have not been to their new store. But they have been in business a long time and they know what they are doing.

Personally, I would avoid the big box stores like Dicks.

There may be a similar store in your locale.

As far as bells and whistles like video, I agree with you. Years ago I bought a classic Airdyne exercise bike off of Craigslist. If I want to watcha video, I turn on the TV and use blue tooth earbuds. Opinions and needs vary, but I don't see the allure of some of the video options of riding through mountains etc.

As an aside, resistance and strength training is important, especially as we age. Sarcopenia is an issue. Consider bodyweight resistance exercise such as pullups, pushups and dips a few times per week.
Thanks for the tip. Fitness Lifestyles is about an hour's drive; we may check it out. There is also a place called Johnson Fitness & Wellness in Mount Laurel that perhaps we'll try -- maybe someone here knows if it's good. Thanks also for the advice on resistance and strength training.

Reactions: Knight Shift
For comfort it’s recommended to get a treadmill with a belt as wide as possible.

The trade off is storage.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I bought a sole f63 this past year and am extremely happy with it. I did not need/want any of the apps etc, just a sturdy, reliable machine I could run on that could go to 12mph.
Thanks! Did you set up the machine yourself? All the treadmills look heavy and awkward to me.

Good parts of this equation are how much money you are willing to spend, how much room you have, how many pieces of equipment you want, what are your/wife's physical capabilities, and how long do you expect to be able to use the equipment into the future (regarding age and physical capabilities)? Someone above mentioned a Sole treadmill which delivers a good bang for the buck. They offer solid specs compared to others with a very generous warranty. I bought a non-foldable S77 many years ago. Gym quality specs at a great price. I put over 2,000 miles on it. They have a lifetime warranty on the belt, deck and motor (or at least used to). I got the belt replaced for free (parts) and they sent a new deck along with it. After 2+k miles of hard usage, the bearings in the rollers FINALLY crapped out. Other machines as someone mentioned above and with a reasonable price tag are recumbent bicycles and Airdyne type bikes, just watch the quality. Airdyne bikes are good because they are dual action machines (work both arms and legs). A step up in price from Airdyne (and also dual action) are NuStep machines and recumbent style Octane trainers (think ellilptical machine but sitting down). If money was not an option, I'd go with the Octane trainer. It provides comprehensive range of motion for arms and legs, very adjustable and is low impact. If you are in better condition, you can opt for the stand up versions (elliptical) made by Octane, Lifefitness, or any other solid brand. Sole makes ellipticals at a reasonable price too. As someone else mentioned, a rowing machine and is one of the best overall workouts in my opinion. Gotta watch if you have back/neck problems with rowers though. Concept2 is my favorite rower but the Sole rower intrigues me and I'd like to test that out. Knee pain for the cyclists often times are due to incorrect distance from seat to pedal (as mentioned by White I think). In a nutshell, if money were not an option and you wanted only one machine, I'd go with a recumbent style Octane trainer. Why? Dual action (arms/legs), comprehensive range of motion, highly adjustable for multiple users, and can be used safely throughout many years of life (ages young to 100). Yes, I have seen a 100 year old use it. It does take up a decent footprint though. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else or reach out to me privately for other questions.

Last edited:
Good parts of this equation are how much money you are willing to spend, how much room you have, how many pieces of equipment you want, what are your/wife's physical capabilities, and how long do you expect to be able to use the equipment into the future (regarding age and physical capabilities)? Someone above mentioned a Sole treadmill which delivers a good bang for the buck. They offer solid specs compared to others with a very generous warranty. I bought a non-foldable S77 many years ago. Gym quality specs at a great price. I put over 2,000 miles on it. They have a lifetime warranty on the belt, deck and motor (or at least used to). I got the belt replaced for free (parts) and they sent a new deck along with it. After 2+k miles of hard usage, the bearings in the rollers finally crapped out. Other machines as someone mentioned above and with a reasonable price tag are recumbent bicycles and Airdyne type bikes, just watch the quality. Airdyne bikes are good because they are dual action machines (work both arms and legs). A step up in price from Airdyne (and also dual action) are NuStep machines and recumbent style Octane trainers (think ellilptical machine but sitting down). If money was not an option, I'd go with the Octane trainer. It provides comprehensive range of motion for arms and legs, very adjustable and is low impact. If you are in better condition, you can opt for the stand up versions (elliptical) made by Octane, Lifefitness, or any other solid brand. Sole makes ellipticals at a reasonable price too. As someone else mentioned, a rowing machine and is one of the best overall workouts in my opinion. Gotta watch if you have back/neck problems with rowers though. Concept2 is my favorite rower but the Sole rower intrigues me and I'd like to test that out. Knee pain for the cyclists often times are due to incorrect distance from seat to pedal (as mentioned by White I think). In a nutshell, if money were not an option and you wanted only one machine, I'd go with a recumbent style Octane trainer. Why? Dual action (arms/legs), comprehensive range of motion, highly adjustable for multiple users, and can be used safely throughout many years of life (ages young to 100). Yes, I have seen a 100 year old use it. It does take up a decent footprint though. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else or reach out to me privately for other questions.
Thank you for that comprehensive reply. One thing that your and @WhiteBus 's comments make clear is that if we get a recumbent bike, we will need to have it fitted very carefully; both my wife and I have knee issues.

Just bought a regular (non recumbent) exercise bike. I was almost drawn in by the flash of the big screen, but I realized I'd be better off just using a tablet, phone or TV. I think it was 300+ more for a similar model with screen. For that kind of money, I'd rather just buy a new tablet that isn't mounted to a bike. Then I can use it for other stuff and easily replace it when it's outdated. Bike has a holder for a tablet so experience should be the same.

Thank you for that comprehensive reply. One thing that your and @WhiteBus 's comments make clear is that if we get a recumbent bike, we will need to have it fitted very carefully; both my wife and I have knee issues.
You are very welcome. Proper fit is only one component. Arthritis, meniscus tears, ligament damage and/or cartilage erosion might all lead to knee pain, but correct leg extension will reduce the risk of further damage. If you go with a recumbent bike, which is a good and affordable choice, I'd suggest to add some arm exercises as well to work the upper body. Free weights, stretch bands, arm spinner machines. Best of luck!!

That's an interesting thought! Thanks!
Be aware that when you use your arms doing cardio your heart rate gets higher faster

I have an Airdynne bike and Concept 2 rower both are great but the workouts are more strenuous than a recumbent bike or treadmill

Reactions: retired711
You can find a ton of bike/walk/row videos on you tube - many in high resolutions.
There are also a ton of podcasts, sports etc
TVs are cheap these days, and with a wifi connection and computer (or $70 Amazon tablet") you can get a set-up for a little.)
Be careful of bike seats with the deeper center channels.
The padding is often off to the sides and after awhile the padding goes down and you end-up sitting on hard material in center
That can lead to pinched pudendal (pudendal nerve entrapment) and the more you weigh the more risk (and 3 hours a week is the usual suggested limit)
One leg is usually longer than another, so if you have full extension on pedal rotations the shorter leg often gets sore.
Both knees should always be bent a lit when they reach bottom of rotation
Bikes often make knees feel better and when something goes wrong its usually a fitting issue
Think of bikes as braces because over time they are doing things you wont suspect at first.

I always recommend to my patients to try out whatever piece of equipment they are going to use. You don’t want to spend a lot of money and it turns into a clothes hanger.
Agree with fitness lifestyles. They used to be in Asbury Park, but moved to route 35 in Neptune, not too far from Route 33.

You can find a ton of bike/walk/row videos on you tube - many in high resolutions.
There are also a ton of podcasts, sports etc
TVs are cheap these days, and with a wifi connection and computer (or $70 Amazon tablet") you can get a set-up for a little.)
Be careful of bike seats with the deeper center channels.
The padding is often off to the sides and after awhile the padding goes down and you end-up sitting on hard material in center
That can lead to pinched pudendal (pudendal nerve entrapment) and the more you weigh the more risk (and 3 hours a week is the usual suggested limit)
One leg is usually longer than another, so if you have full extension on pedal rotations the shorter leg often gets sore.
Both knees should always be bent a lit when they reach bottom of rotation
Bikes often make knees feel better and when something goes wrong its usually a fitting issue
Think of bikes as braces because over time they are doing things you wont suspect at first.

Thank you for your detailed advice -- you are obviously quite experienced with stationary bikes! I don't know if it makes a difference that we'll be looking for a recumbent bike -- my guess is that the issues are the same.

You are very welcome. Proper fit is only one component. Arthritis, meniscus tears, ligament damage and/or cartilage erosion might all lead to knee pain, but correct leg extension will reduce the risk of further damage. If you go with a recumbent bike, which is a good and affordable choice, I'd suggest to add some arm exercises as well to work the upper body. Free weights, stretch bands, arm spinner machines. Best of luck!!
To your point, here is a good thread from one of my favorite Twitter follows, Dr Tro. Two other great MDs to follow are Peter Attia and Ted Naiman. Dr Attia is very sciency, while Naiman and Tro are more practical.

A common theme from all three is that some form of strength training with progressive overload principles is necessary to avoid sarcopenia. Also, diet is more important than exercise. If your diet is bad, you will be fighting an uphill battle to stay in good condition. Sugar, processed foods and seed oils are enemies to good health. Protein is your friend. Eating 1g of protein per pound of body weight is generally recommended together with resistance training.

Dr Naiman does all training using body weight- pullups, rings, pushups, and air squats. There are lots of great videos on YouTube. Jerry Texeira has some terrific YouTube content.

Here is a thread by Peter Attia on the longevity benefits of exercise

Ted Naiman has a book called the PE Diet, that has chapters on exercise. Ted calls his workouts nano workouts because they are short

Sorry for so much content. I have been on a mission to age well via diet and exercise for several years, and IMO, these 3 are great. Rhonda Patrick at Found My Fitness is also awesome.

Some don't like Twitter, but even after the change, it is my best source for diet and exercise content. Sorry for typos. On phone . Cheers

Thank you for your detailed advice -- you are obviously quite experienced with stationary bikes! I don't know if it makes a difference that we'll be looking for a recumbent bike -- my guess is that the issues are the same.

I biked a lot for 15 years and had most of the usual issues that can arise - one was very curious.
I had aches in hands and wrists and figured my seat was tipped too far forward resulting in too much weight on hands (and that will stress perineum as well due to seat point).
Adjustments didn't work to fix anything but my pains eventually went away when I gave-up aspartame.
A recumbent bike or elliptical machine seems like a wise way to go

Rex-Adjustable-083.png

The above is made by SCIFIT and is what I use at the gym.

This is the treadmill I use…

Pricey and big but from the site you can get a refurbished one.

To your point, here is a good thread from one of my favorite Twitter follows, Dr Tro. Two other great MDs to follow are Peter Attia and Ted Naiman. Dr Attia is very sciency, while Naiman and Tro are more practical.

A common theme from all three is that some form of strength training with progressive overload principles is necessary to avoid sarcopenia. Also, diet is more important than exercise. If your diet is bad, you will be fighting an uphill battle to stay in good condition. Sugar, processed foods and seed oils are enemies to good health. Protein is your friend. Eating 1g of protein per pound of body weight is generally recommended together with resistance training.

Dr Naiman does all training using body weight- pullups, rings, pushups, and air squats. There are lots of great videos on YouTube. Jerry Texeira has some terrific YouTube content.

Here is a thread by Peter Attia on the longevity benefits of exercise

Ted Naiman has a book called the PE Diet, that has chapters on exercise. Ted calls his workouts nano workouts because they are short

Sorry for so much content. I have been on a mission to age well via diet and exercise for several years, and IMO, these 3 are great. Rhonda Patrick at Found My Fitness is also awesome.

Some don't like Twitter, but even after the change, it is my best source for diet and exercise content. Sorry for typos. On phone . Cheers
a propos:

BTW, Ted Naiman, an MD with a busy practice, is 52 or 53 and only does bodyweight exercises:

ADVERTISEMENT