ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Reds No Hit Pirates & LOSE!

That just can’t be possible. I think what the Red owners are doing stinks this year. Reds have great fans who deserve better.

Reactions: RUaMoose
That just can’t be possible. I think what the Red owners are doing stinks this year. Reds have great fans who deserve better.
Haven't been following baseball at all: what are they doing?

This is the 6th time a team has thrown a no-hitter in MLB and lost
Didn't know that. Bizarre. Seems like a football team not allowing a first down, FG or TD and losing 2-0 on a safety or a basketball team not allowing a 3 pointer, or FG and losing on FT's made while being shut out themselves. But imo this is much more of a baseball kind of oddity.

Can you list the others, teams, scores / key plays....or I can Google it?

Thanks

MO

Come on Mo, don't rub it in. Rough year for us Reds fans.
I still haven't forgiven Johnny Cueto for screwing up Lance Laru (sp.?). And the former owner Schmidt ? ...would have fit in perfectly with today's political morons / fascists on the right / left.

Go Cards!

MO

As a Pirate fan, this one is classic Pirates. Even when they win, they lose

Didn't know that. Bizarre. Seems like a football team not allowing a first down, FG or TD and losing 2-0 on a safety or a basketball team not allowing a 3 pointer, or FG and losing on FT's made while being shut out themselves. But imo this is much more of a baseball kind of oddity.

Can you list the others, teams, scores / key plays....or I can Google it?

Thanks

MO
Easy enough to google - losing no hitters should take to list on MLB site.
Interesting note, only one was 9 inning no hitter. Others only went 8 since home team won without batting in 9th

Easy enough to google - losing no hitters should take to list on MLB site.
Interesting note, only one was 9 inning no hitter. Others only went 8 since home team won without batting in 9th
Interesting that the 8 inning no hitters officially count. Last year, Madison Bumgarner threw a 7 inning no hitter in a shortened doubleheader game, only to find that under the rules, it did not count as an official no-hitter. It did count as a complete game and a shutout though. Go figure.

That happened in the second game of the doubleheader. In the first game Zac Gallen threw a complete game one hitter. He said afterward he didn't mind losing the no-hitter after he learned it wouldn't have counted anyway.

@zappaa can tell us about Yankee pitcher Bill Bevins, who in the 1947 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers carried a no-hitter into the bottom of the ninth, leading 2-1. Cookie Lavagetto, with two out in the bottom of the ninth, doubled home two runs for the Dodgers' only hit to win the game 3-2. Bevins walked ten batters. @zappaa 's dad, then a rookie, was the Yankee catcher in that game.

Last edited:
I entered this thread thinking of the Andy Hawkins game. That is the perfect highlight, to sum up his time as a Yankee. Fitting it happened under Stump Merill's watch.

Haven't been following baseball at all: what are they doing?
Basically gutting the team, but in epic fashion. Almost to the point where they have no chance of competing night in and night out. As a Cubs fan, I sort of knew a tear down and rebuild was coming last year, but at least they tried be somewhat competitive this year (signing Suzuki, Stroman, Miley and keeping Happ, Contreras, etc.) until some key prospects are ready.

ADVERTISEMENT