ADVERTISEMENT

OT Relocating shrubs

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
Here's one for the landscape guys... I'm about to break ground on a home addition and it's going to displace a few shrubs. Wondering if it's possible to temporarily relocate them and then replant them in the new spots once the project is done. The shrubs have been in the ground for about 3 years, so roots are down. Project is going to take approx 3 months so that's how long they'll need to be moved for. Also project is expected to span from Sept to early Dec, so will be late in the year when the time comes to move them back.
Is this possible? Can I relocate now and wait until spring to move back? Should I put them in big pots for 3 months? Will they take in Dec if they're moved back?

Last edited:
Not a landscape guy but we have displaced over 50 shrubs in our yd in the past few years. First and foremost, it is hard enough on a shrub to displace even once but if you do, make sure you get as much of the root as possible and make sure you water it at least twice a day. To move it a 2nd time in 3 months, while possible, it may be too much for them to handle. I have had to do it but it is difficult and be ready for it to take a hard hit at first but then just hope it comes back. And again, water water water.

Not a landscape guy but we have displaced over 50 shrubs in our yd in the past few years. First and foremost, it is hard enough on a shrub to displace even once but if you do, make sure you get as much of the root as possible and make sure you water it at least twice a day. To move it a 2nd time in 3 months, while possible, it may be too much for them to handle. I have had to do it but it is difficult and be ready for it to take a hard hit at first but then just hope it comes back. And again, water water water.
Thanks... I guess it's worth a shot, right? I would hate to lose them.

Agree with you 100% - it is worth the shot. Just don't freak out if they look like they are doing well at first. Most that we have relocated, including trees, have a period of where they are really looking distressed but keep watering and many come back just fine.

You can transplant shrubs. The problem is having them sit out of the soil for 3 months. You would have to dig them out and burlap them and move to a shady area and water water water so the root ball doesn't dry out. I've transplanted shrubs for customers before but never had them hanging out for a few months. What kind of shrubs are they btw.

When we built our pool the landscaper transplanted a decent number for us. He burlap sacked them, put them in a shady area. Since we ripping up part of the sprinkler system. He pulled one zone and bassially ran a drip line through them. Pulled them in November, replanted in April. Of course the sprinkler was off in the winter

Here's one for the landscape guys... I'm about to break ground on a home addition and it's going to displace a few shrubs. Wondering if it's possible to temporarily relocate them and then replant them in the new spots once the project is done. The shrubs have been in the ground for about 3 years, so roots are down. Project is going to take approx 3 months so that's how long they'll need to be moved for. Also project is expected to span from Sept to early Dec, so will be late in the year when the time comes to move them back.
Is this possible? Can I relocate now and wait until spring to move back? Should I put them in big pots for 3 months? Will they take in Dec if they're moved back?

Done this few times with about 6 shrubs, while ding work around perimeter of the house.
You need to do the following:
1. remove the entire shrub with as much of its roots in tact as possible.(do it in shade if possible)
2. Have a dug hole ready to receive the shrub.
3. Add plenty of water in the root area when planting the shrub in new area
4. Water it everyday.

Thanks... Will a burlap sack work? I was planning on just planting them in the ground on the non work side of the house for the duration of the project, then digging them up again and putting them in their new permanent homes once it's all done. If I'm just as likely to succeed by wrapping the root ball in burlap I'll do that instead.

Thanks... Will a burlap sack work? I was planning on just planting them in the ground on the non work side of the house for the duration of the project, then digging them up again and putting them in their new permanent homes once it's all done. If I'm just as likely to succeed by wrapping the root ball in burlap I'll do that instead.
I'll defer to @RocktheRac , but you want to make sure you get enough of the roots in the root ball. I believe there is a rule for the type of plant and it's height for the diameter of the root ball. Might be too small to fit in a burlap bag unless you cut it open.

I'll defer to @RocktheRac , but you want to make sure you get enough of the roots in the root ball. I believe there is a rule for the type of plant and it's height for the diameter of the root ball. Might be too small to fit in a burlap bag unless you cut it open.

Don't use a sack. If you want to save these suckers just buy a small roll of burlap and cut enough where you can tie the ends into a knot at the trunk making sure no soil is showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT