ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Resume Writing Services

davidcb0030

Redshirt
Oct 3, 2014
Curious if anyone has ever used a resume writing service and if they thought it was worth the money? I'm in the early-mid part of my career and am currently a Marketing Director for a small software/professional services company. Having some trouble translating that experience to the larger corporations I've been applying to.

In my younger days I'd have shunned this if it even existed. However, I now think it's a good idea. Why not hire a mini-PR department, one that knows what to say and how to say it? I say go for it.

I cringe at some of my silly, humble resumes. I did well once I was going by reputation and networking, but looking back, I'm not sure how I even got my foot in the door.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I used topresume.com and was impressed with their work. As a mid-career person I found my resume was out of touch, boring, and tshowed me as too much a oer vs a leader.

It is now a good idea to use one if you are not super skilled in it yourself. I have hired and fired hundreds of entry level to senior Exec's over my career and would think of myself as being pretty good with a resume. Found out when I really needed it, the old methods and what used to be a great resume, just doesn't cut it anymore. It really has to be built to get past AI before anything else and really talk to numbers or specific accomplishments. Have no more than your past 15 years bulleted and just put everything else into a "additional experience" at the bottom of it.
I don't know where you are in your career but I also give you this advice...for everything that Millenials drive us crazy about, have one that is currently in a successful career take a look at it as well.

Reactions: davidcb0030
Curious if anyone has ever used a resume writing service and if they thought it was worth the money? I'm in the early-mid part of my career and am currently a Marketing Director for a small software/professional services company. Having some trouble translating that experience to the larger corporations I've been applying to.
I’ve done a bunch of resume writing for friends and friends of friends. I’m also pretty good at redoing Linkedin profiles. Last person I helped out was able to switch industries and land a great job less than a week after we made some tweaks. Shoot me a message if interested.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You might want to start by calling up the career center at RU or wherever you went to school and ask them to send you samples of whatever the current trends are in resumes, and book a 1/2 hour phone appt. You'd be surprised what you can learn. Last I knew you were expected to rewrite your resume a bit for each position you apply for. If you want to get them out fast, then counting on a writing service would be a drag I assume. Also, I have to figure that as a marketing director you are probably in a better position to sell yourself than a service.

I’ve done a bunch of resume writing for friends and friends of friends. I’m also pretty good at redoing Linkedin profiles. Last person I helped out was able to switch industries and land a great job less than a week after we made some tweaks. Shoot me a message if interested.
I'm definitely interested but I have no idea how to send a private message on here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT