ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Richard Jewell

RUinFla

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Stuart, Florida
Just saw Richard Jewell on HBO. It is not getting much attention. Clint Eastwood did it. Does not put the FBI or the media in a good light. The FBI leaked the investigation to the media, took away most of his household goods, bugged his home, asked his friends to wear a wire, tried to trap him into stuff, and in the end, had nothing because he didn't do it. Just reinforced what little I knew of FBI people from personal experience at inter agency meetings. Like the guys that used to sit on the end of the UNC bench when Carolina was Carolina.

Just saw Richard Jewell on HBO. It is not getting much attention. Clint Eastwood did it. Does not put the FBI or the media in a good light. The FBI leaked the investigation to the media, took away most of his household goods, bugged his home, asked his friends to wear a wire, tried to trap him into stuff, and in the end, had nothing because he didn't do it. Just reinforced what little I knew of FBI people from personal experience at inter agency meetings. Like the guys that used to sit on the end of the UNC bench when Carolina was Carolina.

Very good movie. The ploy by the FBI to trick Jewell into going in to their offices to help with a training video turns out to be true. The agents got a slap on the wrist. There was no one single agent based on the role of the agent that Jon Hamm played, it was a compilation. The role of the female reporter was based on a real reporter, she died of an overdose a few years after the Atlanta Olympics, as did Jewell who died of heart disease. The role of Jewell's lawyer was based on a real lawyer as well. He did an excellent job in real life for a lawyer without a lot of criminal defense experience.

PS- the current season of Last Chance U on Netflix is very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRZEER
You know what also does not make the fbi look good?

TWA 800

Reactions: JRZEER
So it appears the FBI hasn’t learned anything since then.
Irony is ironic.

"Richard A. Jewell, whose transformation from heroic security guard to Olympic bombing suspect and back again came to symbolize the excesses of law enforcement and the news media"
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/...ference/Times Topics/Subjects/O/Olympic Games

And this too:
"But the coroner in Meriwether County said Jewell died of natural causes and that he had battled serious medical problems since learning that he had diabetes in February"
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/...ference/Times Topics/Subjects/O/Olympic Games

things-dont-change-we-change.jpg

Great skit on Saturday Night Live where Attorney General Janet Reno's secretary buzzes to her "Richard Jewel is here" she says "ok send him in " then she gets up from her desk and Jewel punches her in the mouth. She then says "ok see you next week"

Great skit on Saturday Night Live where Attorney General Janet Reno's secretary buzzes to her "Richard Jewel is here" she says "ok send him in " then she gets up from her desk and Jewel punches her in the mouth. She then says "ok see you next week"

LOL, I didn't see that skit.

I did see the recent 'WACO' on Netflix with Koresh played by the bad boy running back from Friday night lights (Tyler Kitsch), he was very good, Turned out Reno really did screw up the WACO stand off, being new and listened too much to the jerks in charge at the scene instead of finding out for herself what was really going on. But I guess that's a long story for another thread. lol

The Flight 800 remains a HUGE controversy. Some excellent books on the topic.

I did see the recent 'WACO' on Netflix with Koresh played by the bad boy running back from Friday night lights (Tyler Kitsch), he was very good, Turned out Reno really did screw up the WACO stand off, being new and listened too much to the jerks in charge at the scene instead of finding out for herself what was really going on. But I guess that's a long story for another thread. lol

The Flight 800 remains a HUGE controversy. Some excellent books on the topic.
Reno did a bang up job as Attorney General.

Richard Jewell’s experience with the FBI is a lesson for all of us in not jumping to conclusions.

I remember at the time thinking that he was guilty as hell, and that the case was going to be wrapped up quickly. Turns out he was an innocent man who was horribly defamed and dragged through the mud by over zealous law enforcement investigators and media organizations who decided he was guilty because he fit the profile of a loser wannabe policeman instead of following the evidence, all of which pointed away from him. Whatever financial settlement he ended up with was not enough to compensate for the hell he was put through.

Reactions: LC-88 and RUaMoose
Richard Jewell’s experience with the FBI is a lesson for all of us in not jumping to conclusions.

I remember at the time thinking that he was guilty as hell, and that the case was going to be wrapped up quickly. Turns out he was an innocent man who was horribly defamed and dragged through the mud by over zealous law enforcement investigators and media organizations who decided he was guilty because he fit the profile of a loser wannabe policeman instead of following the evidence, all of which pointed away from him. Whatever financial settlement he ended up with was not enough to compensate for the hell he was put through.

Does that include the Main Stream media?

They didn't catch the unabomber (his brother turned him in) and they didn't catch the anthrax mailer. There was also an abortion clinic bomber active at that time who when free for a long period of time. There was pressure on the FBI and character was revealed.

Great movie! I am a big Clint Eastwood fan and this is one of his best as a director. Excellent performances as well by Paul Walter Hauser and especially Sam Rockwell who has become one of the best actors out there. Very solid storytelling by Clint who continues to shine at such an advanced age.
When we first watched it my wife and I discussed that if asked, prior to watching the movie, who the Atlanta bomber was we would have said Richard Jewell. The press really screwed him over and the confession of the actual bomber years later is forgotten by most.
Eastwood has had a series of films about American heroes ("The 15.17 to Paris" , "Sully," "American Sniper") and its nice to see Jewell included with those others, even though he did not live to see it.

I thought it was very good. You just kept waiting, praying that Jewel would get out of his naïve demeanor but he never does, until the end. Also does Sam Rockwell ever have a bad performance? Seems his movies are always a must watch and you're rarely if ever disappointed.

Reactions: BigLou
UnaBubba. Good story, well told. Would like to see a film on Eric Rudolph. Interesting story there, too. Learned his craft via the 101st at Ft. Campbell.

Not 100% but pretty sure that was one of his settlements (kinda Kramer-eques IMO) that he got to host SNL.

So what do you guys really think happened?

There are just so many eye witness accounts, and their first person verbatim accounts never recorded only summarized, makes it seem like a cover up of something else could be a possiblililty.

Read the 'Witness Interviews" section of the Wiki write up on Flight 800.:

Although the next section makes it seem like a problem with the fuel lines could have been the problem as most Govt experts thought.

Further investigation and analysis[edit]
Examination of the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) and flight data recorder data showed a normal takeoff and climb,[15]:4 with the aircraft in normal flight[45]:2 before both abruptly stopped at 8:31:12 pm.[1]:3 At 8:29:15 pm, Captain Kevorkian was heard to say, "Look at that crazy fuel flow indicator there on number four... see that?"[1]:2 A loud noise recorded on the last few tenths of a second of the CVR was similar to the last noises recorded from other airplanes that had experienced in-flight breakups.[1]:256 This, together with the distribution of wreckage and witness reports, all indicated a sudden catastrophic in-flight breakup of TWA 800.[1]:256

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Last edited:
So what do you guys really think happened?
Great question but given how sketchy they acted during the investigation and how the FBI essentially blocked the NTSB from doing its job, something other than their explanation happened...

There are just so many eye witness accounts, and their first person verbatim accounts never recorded only summarized, makes it seem like a cover up of something else could be a possiblililty.

Although the next section makes it seem like a problem with the fuel lines could have been the problem as most Govt experts thought.

Examination of the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) and flight data recorder data showed a normal takeoff and climb,[15]:4 with the aircraft in normal flight[45]:2 before both abruptly stopped at 8:31:12 pm.[1]:3 At 8:29:15 pm, Captain Kevorkian was heard to say, "Look at that crazy fuel flow indicator there on number four... see that?"[1]:2 A loud noise recorded on the last few tenths of a second of the CVR was similar to the last noises recorded from other airplanes that had experienced in-flight breakups.[1]:256 This, together with the distribution of wreckage and witness reports, all indicated a sudden catastrophic in-flight breakup of TWA 800.[1]:256

Great question but given how sketchy they acted during the investigation and how the FBI essentially blocked the NTSB from doing its job, something other than their explanation happened...
If I was TWA I would have loved any of the other theories proved to be true.

Is that for real? If I hear that my pilot's name is Captain Kevorkian I'm off the plane in two seconds!!
Mystery solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: dconifer

The center fuel tank exploded due to fuel vapor and an electric arc. Watch from the 14:40 minute mark. This is a closed case:

During this covid period I've watched some Clint Eastwood movies I hadn't seen before and rewatched some I had already seen. Kinda of a Clint Eastwood as a director film fest. I have always thought he did a great job. But after my filmfest I've come to the conclusion that he is the best director. This doesn't diminish the likes of Spielberg Hitchcock Scorsese Scott Depalma etc. I can't think of a movie he didn't do a great job with other than his early work. People can disagree with that but for my money he is the best. He's won two best director Oscars but I think he is underappreciated. Hard to not think of him as Dirty Harry or that guy from the spaghetti westerns

When I studied history, I realized there are a lot of things we just cant know about. Flight 800 is like that for me. Too many studies, investigations, opinions etc. I cant go into the weeds on all that stuff.

But - just to add to the slurry - I had an night in the 90s where NYPD guys (who were up to Camp Smith for weapon training) were telling me things they thought were true about 800. I had a retired trooper friend who had an Irish pub near the camp. The NYPD guys went there at night.

Over the course of an evening, three different NYPD guys - and at three different times - told me that the Russians were angry at Giuliani for going after the Russian mob (Rudy hates mobs) in NYC. They said the Russian mob (lots of former military) took down 800 as a warning To Rudy. A "you mess with us and this is what you'll get" kind of thing. NYPD guys said law enforcement back away because they didnt want more destruction from guys with military training and resources .

Now I didn't believe the story or disbelieve it. It was just an angle I had not heard of before (and the event was still relatively fresh). The fact it was coming from three NYPD guys independent of each other made it all the more curious. I dont know if a Russian mob could pull that sort of thing off but they would have a better chance of that than some terrorist meatballs On the flip side, I like James Kallstrom so I just roll with what he says.

Last edited:
The center fuel tank exploded due to fuel vapor and an electric arc. Watch from the 14:40 minute mark. This is a closed case:

Watch the documentary. There are NTSB investigators on it who were part of the investigation and were neutered by the FBI. Witness after witness saw the missiles travelling towards the plane. Even a retired navy pilot who fought in Vietnam saw it and reported it. It looks like the FBI took over the investigation and covered up the true cause of the crash.

Reactions: LC-88
I just watched it after reading this post. Holy shit, what a cover up. I guess the government didn't want to scare the shit out of the public with this type of terrorist attack. Sadly, 5 years later 9/11 happened.
The sad part is, they got away with it...and most media went right along with it.

When I studied history, I realized there are a lot of things we just cant know about. Flight 800 is like that for me. Too many studies, investigations, opinions etc. I cant go into the weeds on all that stuff.

But - just to add to the slurry - I had an night in the 90s where NYPD guys (who were up to Camp Smith for weapon training) were telling me things they thought were true about 800. I had a retired trooper friend who had an Irish pub near the camp. The NYPD guys went there at night.

Over the course of an evening, three different NYPD guys - and at three different times - told me that the Russians were angry at Giuliani for going after the Russian mob (Rudy hates mobs) in NYC. They said the Russian mob (lots of former military) took down 800 as a warning To Rudy. A "you mess with us and this is what you'll get" kind of thing. NYPDS guys said law enforcement back away because they didnt want more destruction from guys with military training and resources .

Now I didn't believe the story or disbelieve it. It was just an angle I had not heard of before (and the event was still relatively fresh). The fact it was coming from three NYPD guys independent of each other made it all the more curious. I dont know if a Russian mob could pull that sort of thing off but they would have a better chance of that than some terrorist meatballs On the flip side, I like James Kallstrom so I just roll with what he says.
JKallstrom was part of the problem...he was either a) fully aware of the cover up or b) incompetent beyond comprehension for some one in that job. Choice b is hard to believe which makes choice a all the more disturbing.

Watch the documentary. There are NTSB investigators on it who were part of the investigation and were neutered by the FBI. Witness after witness saw the missiles travelling towards the plane. Even a retired navy pilot who fought in Vietnam saw it and reported it. It looks like the FBI took over the investigation and covered up the true cause of the crash.
They rebuilt the plane, literally 95%. Just look at the pictures, the explosion came from within. This is not debatable in anyway whatsoever. Zero, zilch, nada.

They rebuilt the plane, literally 95%. Just look at the pictures, the explosion came from within. This is not debatable in anyway whatsoever. Zero, zilch, nada.
There’s a lot of shady shit that went on in that investigation...A LOT! It is rather QUITE debatable especially when it was the FBI who led the investigation and not the NTSB...from the get-go.

There’s a lot of shady shit that went on in that investigation...A LOT! It is rather QUITE debatable especially when it was the FBI who led the investigation and not the NTSB...from the get-go.
The rebuilt plane tells the entire story. Also, the explanation of the eye witness accounts logically highlights what those people really saw (and what they missed).

The rebuilt plane tells the entire story. Also, the explanation of the eye witness accounts logically highlights what those people really saw (and what they missed).
Disagree vehemently considering FBI agents were caught by NTSB investigators messing with fuselage on several occasions. If it was simply some unfortunate tank blow up then there really is no need for the documented draconian behavior by the fbi in what should have been a civilian matter. This was during the Clinton admin so shadiness is mostly assumed within that shitshow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT