ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rider University is slashing tuition by $10K next year, hopes to eliminate ‘sticker shock’

T2Kplus10

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2010
Went there my first year because I was looking for a small school with a scenic campus. Found out it was a big party school, not only booze but lots of cocaine. I didn’t even drink. Talk about a fish out of water. Thankfully I was really into running so I made it through one year and left. Ironically, the year I left they had a record number of kids transferring out , they realized the issue, and I was told by a kid I knew they cleaned the place up some. This kind of thing happens at other schools like Utah State.

Online learning is going to be the end for many of these colleges.
As someone who’s been doing online now since 2011, I’m not so sure...it will be much more widely used, but the impetus is still to go back. Online is great for a segment of the population but not for everyone.

Long time coming. Mediocre high priced private colleges (like SHU and many other NJ schools) are in deep trouble. Their only option is to cut tuition and eliminate faculty positions. They need to right size or close for good.

Smart move for Rider as they are in serious danger. Wonder if SHU does the same. The only private schools in NJ that shouldn't be threatened are Princeton and possibly Stevens.

Long time coming. Mediocre high priced private colleges (like SHU and many other NJ schools) are in deep trouble. Their only option is to cut tuition and eliminate faculty positions. They need to right size or close for good.

Think you are underestimating Seton Hall. A desirable school for a lot of students, and they basically make a financial aid offer to better NJ students that puts the cost on par with Rutgers. They have a program that Rutgers does not offer. We visited, and I was favorably impressed with the campus.

Still overpriced as the majority of schools are ...35 k instead of 45 k sure sounds great so what’s my total after 4 or maybe 5 years ? Better make sure where those job prospects lie... will my major pay off ?

Think you are underestimating Seton Hall. A desirable school for a lot of students, and they basically make a financial aid offer to better NJ students that puts the cost on par with Rutgers. They have a program that Rutgers does not offer. We visited, and I was favorably impressed with the campus.

Impressed with the SHU campus? Such a lovely drive down South Orange Ave before entering the pearly gates of Pirate town. To each his own.

Agree. Stevens is totally fine. One of the highest ROIs in the country.
Stevens is not “totally fine”. They couldn’t survive another year like last. Many schools can’t. Remember, unlike traditional schools with dorms, they have many leases with Hoboken landlords. Those rents are due with or without students living in them.

Impressed with the SHU campus? Such a lovely drive down South Orange Ave before entering the pearly gates of Pirate town. To each his own.
+1
SHU is a dump. Mediocre degree, high price, high average debt for students. They are the textbook type of college that doesn't need to exist.

Reactions: Knight177lb
I said campus, Mr. Happy. Shall we talk about the drive up Route 27 or Somerset Ave to the Rutgers Campus?

Have never read or heard anyone say that SHU has a nice campus. SHU has always been about the people, not the campus and buildings. That was said many times by PJ Carlesimo. I’ll side with his opinion on this issue if it’s ok with you.

Also agree that SHU faces a difficult financial future.

Last edited:
No idea what their financial situation is but pretty sure their endowment is higher than every NJ school not named Rutgers or Princeton.

Have never read or heard anyone say that SHU has a nice campus. SHU has always been about the people, not the campus and buildings. That was said many times by PJ Carlesimo. I’ll side with his opinion on this issue if it’s ok with you.

The campus is nothing to brag about unless the Ivy Hill Apartments are a newly minted National Monument . The campus is small and over built with no room to extend except upward.

Regarding Rider U...Does anyone on the board believe Rider is a bargain at some 120-130 k for a BS or BA degree ... mom n dad better have some serious scratch ... and according to EF Hutton ...most don’t .

Went there my first year because I was looking for a small school with a scenic campus. Found out it was a big party school, not only booze but lots of cocaine. I didn’t even drink. Talk about a fish out of water. Thankfully I was really into running so I made it through one year and left. Ironically, the year I left they had a record number of kids transferring out , they realized the issue, and I was told by a kid I knew they cleaned the place up some. This kind of thing happens at other schools like Utah State.
Yes , they did clean it up some time ago but it was (way back when ) sort of a party institution ...playing decent sports...

PJ Carlesimo has not been associated with SHU for more than 25 years. Apparently, you have never been there, or you have not been there recently. Yet, you will not take the word of someone who was there this past week. Maybe you need to read further, before spouting off uniformed. You sound like you are a lot of fun at parties.

Here are some more comments from College Confidential:

"The campus is stunning. I can only imagine seeing it on a beautiful spring day - very green & spacious. There's a mix of older & newer buildings and I feel many refurbishments continue to happen to keep the campus updated, fresh, and in line schools of similar stature."

"The campus seemed nice and the small to medium size of admitted students was appealing."

"We went and did the tour a couple of weeks ago. The campus is nice and the people seemed very nice. The campus is gated and the area of South Orange seemed cute, although not a 'college town'."

" The campus is nice and compact. "

" I visited the open house last week. I was impressed with the Students and the Teachers. The Campus is a bit smaller than I expected but seemed very nice."

"The campus there is safer than Rutgers and very few problems happen there, you just don't go to the right when you leave campus but it's beautiful the towns to the left."

Reactions: Greg2020
PJ Carlesimo has not been associated with SHU for more than 25 years. Apparently, you have never been there, or you have not been there recently. Yet, you will not take the word of someone who was there this past week. Maybe you need to read further, before spouting off uniformed. You sound like you are a lot of fun at parties.

Here are some more comments from College Confidential:

"The campus is stunning. I can only imagine seeing it on a beautiful spring day - very green & spacious. There's a mix of older & newer buildings and I feel many refurbishments continue to happen to keep the campus updated, fresh, and in line schools of similar stature."

"The campus seemed nice and the small to medium size of admitted students was appealing."

"We went and did the tour a couple of weeks ago. The campus is nice and the people seemed very nice. The campus is gated and the area of South Orange seemed cute, although not a 'college town'."

" The campus is nice and compact. "

" I visited the open house last week. I was impressed with the Students and the Teachers. The Campus is a bit smaller than I expected but seemed very nice."

"The campus there is safer than Rutgers and very few problems happen there, you just don't go to the right when you leave campus but it's beautiful the towns to the left."
Please I can hire a good PR firm to make it sound as you just walked off the Duke or Virginia U campuses... it’s a tiny school which abuts part Maplewood ,S.Orange but also Vailsburg ( Newark ) and Irvington ... 50-60 years ago not bad today I would take a ride toward the south and west of S.Orange Ave. and Irvington Ave..

Route 27 is the Pacific Coast Highway compared to South Orange Avenue. I just don’t understand why anyone would go to Seton Hall.If you are going to spend that kind of money and want to go to a school that claims it is a Catholic college, wouldn’t Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Providence, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, etc. be a better place? The thing with Seton Hall is no one outside of New Jersey has ever heard of the school. Heck, lots of people in South Jersey couldn’t even tell you where it is. When I lived in South Carolina, there is a college called Furman which is a pretty good school. I could ask 100 people in New Jersey have they ever heard of it and where is it. Maybe 10 percent would know. Same situation with Seton Hall. But to each his own.

Route 27 is the Pacific Coast Highway compared to South Orange Avenue. I just don’t understand why anyone would go to Seton Hall.If you are going to spend that kind of money and want to go to a school that claims it is a Catholic college, wouldn’t Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Providence, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, etc. be a better place? The thing with Seton Hall is no one outside of New Jersey has ever heard of the school. Heck, lots of people in South Jersey couldn’t even tell you where it is. When I lived in South Carolina, there is a college called Furman which is a pretty good school. I could ask 100 people in New Jersey have they ever heard of it and where is it. Maybe 10 percent would know. Same situation with Seton Hall. But to each his own.
Maybe because none of those schools offer the program a student is looking for? And maybe because Seton Hall offers a lot of merit based aid to get students to go there. And maybe because they actually visited the campus, interacted with students and alumni (who are very loyal to SHU grads) and felt it was a good fit for them, instead of reading comments from post 50 year old grouchy haters who have not set foot ON CAMPUS in years. And you are well underestimating name recognition of Seton Hall. Lots of people know Seton Hall for their business school, medical majors (nursing and PA), and nationally for their basketball team.

Public universities generally make the most sense in terms of cost. There are the obvious exceptions for high-end private schools (eg, not Rider) or perhaps some specialized schools, but far too many questionable institutions for the price tag.

Obviously every one is different and aid packages change the calculus for each individual, but my perspective at least.

Please I can hire a good PR firm to make it sound as you just walked off the Duke or Virginia U campuses... it’s a tiny school which abuts part Maplewood ,S.Orange but also Vailsburg ( Newark ) and Irvington ... 50-60 years ago not bad today I would take a ride toward the south and west of S.Orange Ave. and Irvington Ave..
I said on campus. Reading is fundamental, bob.

I said on campus. Reading is fundamental, bob.
The immediate areas go with the school and campus... same at Rutgers ... same at many schools... they could paint the paths to the Chapel in Gold and it wouldn’t change the fact... my reading is not the issue it’s your interpretation of their campus... I grew up 1 1/2 miles from there ... was accepted to the Prep and later the University... have spent many days on the campus but not the past several years ... but my family attorney is two blocks away...As some others said if you want a Catholic University education there are a number of just as good with better campus life...sorry you don’t agree... my tastes are evidently much higher than yours 😜

Last edited:
The immediate areas go with the school and campus... same at Rutgers ... same at many schools... they could paint the paths to the Chapel in Gold and it wouldn’t change the fact... amy reading is not the issue it’s your interpretation of their campus... I grew up 1 1/2 miles from there ... was accepted to the Prep and later the University... have spent many days on the campus but not the past several years ... but my family attorney is two blocks away...As some others said if you want a Catholic University education there are a number of just as good with better campus life...sorry you don’t agree... my tastes are evidently much higher than yours 😜
And you failed reading comprehension, bob. Try again.

The immediate areas go with the school and campus... same at Rutgers ... same at many schools... they could paint the paths to the Chapel in Gold and it wouldn’t change the fact... amy reading is not the issue it’s your interpretation of their campus... I grew up 1 1/2 miles from there ... was accepted to the Prep and later the University... have spent many days on the campus but not the past several years ... but my family attorney is two blocks away...As some others said if you want a Catholic University education there are a number of just as good with better campus life...sorry you don’t agree... my tastes are evidently much higher than yours 😜
+1
Mediocre campus and a mediocre degree. Not worth the money.

Knightshift, I was last on campus probably 2000-2002. So it may look different. What majors do they have that Rutgers or The College of New Jersey don’t have? Just curious. Agree that college basketball fans would be familiar with the name.

And you failed reading comprehension, bob. Try again.
and I told you the fact which you wish to ignore ... this area which is around the CAMPUS comes with the school... So no it’s not reading comp it’s your idea that doesn’t get figured into the equation... when you or a student choose a school and especially with costs as high as the Hall’s ... no you include the adjoining neighborhood... How much of the south and west sides of the school have you walked over the past 10 years? ...It ‘s normal for some of those students but not for others ... it’s a little different than most have grown up with...

Knightshift, I was last on campus probably 2000-2002. So it may look different. What majors do they have that Rutgers or The College of New Jersey don’t have? Just curious. Agree that college basketball fans would be familiar with the name.
Direct entry Physician Assistant program, where a student does not have to file a separate application to the Master's PA program, which is more competitive than Medical School--admission rates run 2-4%. The Seton Hall Interprofessional Health Sciences Campus in Nutley (where PA students go in years 5 and 6) is an incredible facility too.

If a prospective student chose Rutgers, they would be a long shot to get admitted to Master's PA program. And this is their emphasis for admissions:

"We are committed to to diversity through holistic admissions process and have intensified recruitment efforts to enroll more underrepresented groups.
Learn how our program has been working to attract candidates from different racial, ethnic, sexual, and economic backgrounds."

and I told you the fact which you wish to ignore ... this area which is around the CAMPUS comes with the school... So no it’s not reading comp it’s your idea that doesn’t get figured into the equation... when you or a student choose a school and especially with costs as high as the Hall’s ... no you include the adjoining neighborhood... How much of the south and west sides of the school have you walked over the past 10 years? ...It ‘s normal for some of those students but not for others ... it’s a little different than most have grown up with...
And I told you Bob, we drove to the campus and in the area around the campus, and we saw no major issues. None. We have been advised that going on the sides of the campus you mentioned after dark should be avoided. Just like some areas of New Brunswick. My son can attest to this, as he is a sophomore at Rutgers, and he made the mistake of taking two different bike routes recommended by Rutgers between College Ave and Cook/Douglas. He did each one once, and said never again.

I was last on campus at SHU in 2015. Has there been a Renaissance of new facilities at the Hall since then?

Direct entry Physician Assistant program, where a student does not have to file a separate application to the Master's PA program, which is more competitive than Medical School--admission rates run 2-4%. The Seton Hall Interprofessional Health Sciences Campus in Nutley (where PA students go in years 5 and 6) is an incredible facility too.

If a prospective student chose Rutgers, they would be a long shot to get admitted to Master's PA program. And this is their emphasis for admissions:

"We are committed to to diversity through holistic admissions process and have intensified recruitment efforts to enroll more underrepresented groups.
Learn how our program has been working to attract candidates from different racial, ethnic, sexual, and economic backgrounds."

Well, I will send you, for a small fee, my family tree. I am about 1/16 Canadian-Indian. That should do the trick. lol Best of luck wherever he goes.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Well, I will send you, for a small fee, my family tree. I am about 1/16 Canadian-Indian. That should do the trick. lol Best of luck wherever he goes.
He will be fine. SATs in the 1500s. Will more than likely get into wherever he applies. Seton Hall is not high on his list anyway, but I was expecting the campus to be a dump, and I was pleasantly surprised.

It is funny how kids pick a school. One of my sisters and I wanted to stay in New Jersey. Another sister wanted a big public university in the South. My brother went to a school that had 1,200 students and loved it. To each his own.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Seton Hall is similar to Rowan in terms of undergraduate prestige but their graduate programs are pretty solid. A handful of them are as good or better then the equivalent Rutgers program.

And I told you Bob, we drove to the campus and in the area around the campus, and we saw no major issues. None. We have been advised that going on the sides of the campus you mentioned after dark should be avoided. Just like some areas of New Brunswick. My son can attest to this, as he is a sophomore at Rutgers, and he made the mistake of taking two different bike routes recommended by Rutgers between College Ave and Cook/Douglas. He did each one once, and said never again.
Ok I have no skin in this game... tell your son stay around South Orange Center ... the areas below South Ave. ( Vailsburg / Newark ) is near some problem areas... the Maplewood side is ok...but it is next to Irvington and that can be questionable... it’s also next to the Ivy Hill Apt. complex... Over the years this has had issues... but just remind him this area is not downtown South Orange Center... good luck to your son as he gains his degree.

ADVERTISEMENT