ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Anne Heche

She doesn’t deserve sympathy in this instance . She blatantly thought this was a great thing to do and had I believe done it before. You want to give sympathy? Come with me to MSK or St.Jude’s….they need support and sympathy.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Her stupidity could have taken innocent lives.

Im

I'm not sure it works that way in this case. I've seen this kind of situation from the inside and my understanding is that you can take what the car insurer offers you or you can forego that and sue the person directly. The fact that this woman has gotten $150,000 from the internet might also cause a jury to give her less if she does decide to sue. You can sue for a billion dollars if you want but that doesn't mean you'll get it. If she had died or been paralyzed that would be one thing but she didn't.
The answer varies from state to state. California allows suits for pain and suffering in auto accident cases, so she can potentially recover that in addition to her compensation from insurance for tangible damages.

I'm not sure but this kind of stuff is much more rigid than you think. In 2013 my house mate of 19 years died from injuries caused by a drunk driver, in California. There are options you have and options you don't have.
I'll guess we will find out. But you are definitely wrong that how much she get from gofundme impacts the insurance claim or personal suit.
I don't really care. This thread was a shit show from the start.

The answer varies from state to state. California allows suits for pain and suffering in auto accident cases, so she can potentially recover that in addition to her compensation from insurance for tangible damages.
That doesn't mean she can sue separately though. She would just tack pain and suffering onto the claim made on the insurer for compensation for medical bills.

That doesn't mean she can sue separately though. She would just tack pain and suffering onto the claim made on the insurer for compensation for medical bills.
Pain and suffering are beyond medical bills. Doesn't seem you really understand.

Pain and suffering are beyond medical bills. Doesn't seem you really understand.
Sigh. I'm talking about who is liable. What would be the point of car insurance if you can still get sued?

Last edited:
Even here in New Jersey, a separate lawsuit is required to collect for pain and suffering. (New Jersey, though, sharply limits the circumstances in which such a law suit can be brought e.g. loss of a body part or permanent damage, unless the victim paid extra premiums for an unlimited right to sue.) https://callagylaw.com/2019/11/07/nj-auto-insurance-limited-right-to-sue/

People get sued for DUI accidents all the time beyond just damage and medical.
Yes, I know. My housemate was killed by a drunk driver and I managed his trust and estate. That's not what I'm talking about.

You're obviously not getting it.
Well, at least one of us isn't. I'll assume it's me because there's no percentage in arguing on forums like this. One thing I'm sure we'd both agree on is that in the last analysis Ms. Heche's insurance company is going to end up paying a lot of money. Let's hope that Ms. Heche had high liability limits.

Well, at least one of us isn't. I'll assume it's me because there's no percentage in arguing on forums like this. One thing I'm sure we'd both agree on is that in the last analysis Ms. Heche's insurance company is going to end up paying a lot of money. Let's hope that Ms. Heche had high liability limits.
The house is probably gutted, so that's some $100,000s right there.

Yes, it is gutted -- no surprise considering how long it took to put out the fire. Of course, that claim will be made by the property owner -- Ms. Mishele was a tenant.
On the upside for the homeowner, in today's market, it's an opportunity to increase resale/rental value of the home. For the tenant, it will be tougher.

People get sued for DUI accidents all the time beyond just damage and medical.
For sure!!. Man I got sued for opening my driver's side door and getting out of my car on the street. A girl on a bicycle at 11pm ish dressed in black, with Walkman ear plugs in ear and no lights on bike ran into my car door you would have thought their was a murder. Like 7 or 8 police cars blocking both directions of street for whole block, fire engines and ambulance. Cop took my statement and said it was an accident could've happened to anyone. I said not a chance I wanted all of the above in the report. I knew I was in trouble as she was laying on the ground the she said she needs to get her hospital card out. This girl almost did it again same thing like 2 weeks later. She sued I lost and insurance went up. Law on the NJ books getting out of driver's side door on street is illegal or something like that. Like 30ys ago

Reactions: WhiteBus
For sure!!. Man I got sued for opening my driver's side door and getting out of my car on the street. A girl on a bicycle at 11pm ish dressed in black, with Walkman ear plugs in ear and no lights on bike ran into my car door you would have thought their was a murder. Like 7 or 8 police cars blocking both directions of street for whole block, fire engines and ambulance. Cop took my statement and said it was an accident could've happened to anyone. I said not a chance I wanted all of the above in the report. I knew I was in trouble as she was laying on the ground the she said she needs to get her hospital card out. This girl almost did it again same thing like 2 weeks later. She sued I lost and insurance went up. Law on the NJ books getting out of driver's side door on street is illegal or something like that. Like 30ys ago

You're supposed to climb over and use the passenger door?

Reactions: Jm0513
Lol dont make the rules not much logic there for sure but 100% my fault because I got out of my car driver side
I climb out my sunroof. That way I don't bother cyclist, car or walkers. Especially walkers with walkers. My F-150 didn't come with a sunroof so I just cutout one. Thankfully we have had dry summer as it sucks sitting on a rained soaked seat. 🙄

I read that somewhere in Europe, maybe multiple countries, they teach new drivers (yes, they actually teach them about driving) to open their car door with the hand opposite the door so that you at least partially turn your body to look for bikes approaching from the rear. As a bike rider in the city, I think that’s a good idea. Too bad it’ll never happen here.

I read that somewhere in Europe, maybe multiple countries, they teach new drivers (yes, they actually teach them about driving) to open their car door with the hand opposite the door so that you at least partially turn your body to look for bikes approaching from the rear. As a bike rider in the city, I think that’s a good idea. Too bad it’ll never happen here.
That's a very interesting idea. I think I'll try it. Bicyclists are reckless, IMHO, but I still don't want one going "splat!" against my car door.

Gay hater ? The problem is I don’t agree with you . Like you… my choice… you want everyone to agree with a lifestyle. Sorry actual science says two genders male and female. You can worship and choose anyway you wish .Your nasty accusations calling me a gay hater are totally unfounded and actually only in your mind. I think you would have a much different opinion if we actually knew each other . I don’t gaslight anyone that’s your MO. You have attacked religion , conservatives, and called others some very evil things. You are are so far out there it’s pathetic . I could give two craps what your choices are . What you just claimed is way off base and that is part of your groups attack mode. You have done this for quite sometime . You turn and twist the narrative. You need to look deep inside yourself my friend. Your failure here is to realize that You have choice and so do the rest of us. Problem is : you want it one way…in your mindless world if someone doesn’t accept or bow down to your lifestyle they’re haters. What would Jesus say? “Do not hate the sinner …hate the sin. “
If there's any truth to this, I'd love to hear brgRC90 take. Laugh at the site, but it's been showing up in many different places. Where's there's smoke- - - - - https://notthebee.com/article/its-happening-lgb-drop-the-t

I climb out my sunroof. That way I don't bother cyclist, car or walkers. Especially walkers with walkers. My F-150 didn't come with a sunroof so I just cutout one. Thankfully we have had dry summer as it sucks sitting on a rained soaked seat. 🙄
I would have thought you were going to defend the bike rider.

I would have thought you were going to defend the bike rider.
It's useless, especially on this site. A couple of posts up someone calls cyclists reckless. Which is funny in a sad way. 190 pound guy vs 4000+ lb machine. Cyclists never going to win against the road rage drivers.

If there's any truth to this, I'd love to hear brgRC90 take. Laugh at the site, but it's been showing up in many different places. Where's there's smoke- - - - - https://notthebee.com/article/its-happening-lgb-drop-the-t
Transgenderism is not the same as homosexuality/bisexuality and really should be a separate movement in my opinion. But I still don't get the hatred and hostility shown to transgendered people. They're just trying to live their Iives as they choose and have long been treated badly, though they're not hurting anyone and they are not going to bring civilization crashing down in fiery ruins as conservatives always fear non-conformists will. Gay marriage did not, as predicted by some, destroy straight marriage; no longer persecuting transgendered people will not cause everyone to get a sex change. And it's not new. A Roman emperor, Elagabulus, asked his surgeons if they could turn him into a woman. Such things were even taking place in ancient Uruk in Mesopotamia in 3000 to 3500BC.

I have a degree in psychology from Rutgers, one of three, and I was taught that 50% of the people who say they are transgender are actually paranoid schizophrenics who just think they are--which is why people saying they are transgender should not be believed without a psychiatric screening--while the other half are legitimately transgendered. I trust the judgment of people in the field of psychology/psychiatry. It's a real phenomenon. As for there being two genders this is false. Gender is clear and obvious for MOST people--but not for everyone. Not everyone has either XX or XY chromosomes; some people have other combinations. Some people are born with both sets of genitals, neither of which usually works. There are some kids in a part of the Dominican Republic who are born female and grow penises in puberty. There are fetuses with XY chromosomes that are insensitive to male hormones and so do not turn into boy babies in the womb but instead come out female--yet they have XY chromosomes. These are small numbers of people but they do exist. There are people who are pretty clearly one gender or the other but say they are neither gender. I don't know what goes on in the heads of others so it's not my place to doubt them or call them mentally ill. Certainly I am not threatened by them or see reason to be hostile.

Last edited:
It's useless, especially on this site. A couple of posts up someone calls cyclists reckless. Which is funny in a sad way. 190 pound guy vs 4000+ lb machine. Cyclists never going to win against the road rage drivers.

What about this cyclist? The headline is misleading and poorly written. Have had deer dart in front of me while riding in the woods. Once had a deer run into the front fender of my car while I was driving through the Great Swamp.

Deer sends Marlboro bicyclist to the hospital

"MARLBORO – A bicyclist was hospitalized Sunday morning when a deer attempted to jump over him and, instead, struck him in the head, police said.

The incident occurred at 9:30 a.m. Sunday on Wyncrest Road near Windfall Lane, according to Marlboro Police Capt. Steve Levy.

The unidentified man was bicycling along the road when the deer ran out of the woods and tried to leap over the bicycle but missed, witnesses told police."

What about this cyclist? The headline is misleading and poorly written. Have had deer dart in front of me while riding in the woods. Once had a deer run into the front fender of my car while I was driving through the Great Swamp.

Deer sends Marlboro bicyclist to the hospital

"MARLBORO – A bicyclist was hospitalized Sunday morning when a deer attempted to jump over him and, instead, struck him in the head, police said.

The incident occurred at 9:30 a.m. Sunday on Wyncrest Road near Windfall Lane, according to Marlboro Police Capt. Steve Levy.

The unidentified man was bicycling along the road when the deer ran out of the woods and tried to leap over the bicycle but missed, witnesses told police."
Cyclist shouldn't get in deers's way

Well trans is truly a mental disorder so it makes sense to disassociate from them not to mention the core definition of gender is at odds with gay America.

Building an entire personality around a sexual preference is pretty weird too.

Yay! You (fill in the blank) to other (fill in the blank). Not really an accomplishment. Why do I need to hear about it?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Transgenderism is not the same as homosexuality/bisexuality and really should be a separate movement in my opinion. But I still don't get the hatred and hostility shown to transgendered people. They're just trying to live their Iives as they choose and have long been treated badly, though they're not hurting anyone and they are not going to bring civilization crashing down in fiery ruins as conservatives always fear non-conformists will. Gay marriage did not, as predicted by some, destroy straight marriage; no longer persecuting transgendered people will not cause everyone to get a sex change. And it's not new. A Roman emperor, Elagabulus, asked his surgeons if they could turn him into a woman. Such things were even taking place in ancient Uruk in Mesopotamia in 3000 to 3500BC.

I have a degree in psychology from Rutgers, one of three, and I was taught that 50% of the people who say they are transgender are actually paranoid schizophrenics who just think they are--which is why people saying they are transgender should not be believed without a psychiatric screening--while the other half are legitimately transgendered. I trust the judgment of people in the field of psychology/psychiatry. It's a real phenomenon. As for there being two genders this is false. Gender is clear and obvious for MOST people--but not for everyone. Not everyone has either XX or XY chromosomes; some people have other combinations. Some people are born with both sets of genitals, neither of which usually works. There are some kids in a part of the Dominican Republic who are born female and grow penises in puberty. There are fetuses with XY chromosomes that are insensitive to male hormones and so do not turn into boy babies in the womb but instead come out female--yet they have XY chromosomes. These are small numbers of people but they do exist. There are people who are pretty clearly one gender or the other but say they are neither gender. I don't know what goes on in the heads of others so it's not my place to doubt them or call them mentally ill. Certainly I am not threatened by them or see reason to be hostile.
I have to say that was a well thought out response and you took the time to try to explain your position on this complicated subject.

ADVERTISEMENT