ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Bob Albert- Former Owner of Legendary Court Tavern

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
The Court Tavern was an institution in New Brunswick. Bob sounded like a guy willing to take chances. Anybody have any good Court Tavern stories? Google maps shows that the building is still there?

A bunch of us went to The Court the Weekend of Woodstock 2 (1994?) and Destroy All Bands was playing. Some guy took a shot to the head in the mosh pit, and we carried him out and waited for an ambulance with him.

"Albert of North Brunswick died May 9 of complications of Alzheimer’s, Crowe said. He was 63. "

"Bands like the Smithereens, Bouncing Souls, Gaslight Anthem, God Forbid, Crossfire Choir and more played the Court's modest basement stage en route to national and international stardom in the 1980s and ’90s under Albert’s stewardship."

3e924edc-92db-4433-b68c-a52554917f6b-BobbyAlbert1.jpg

25ce3ba1-1919-429c-9591-ec373ba385e3-BobAlbert3.jpg

df62095a-46da-4173-8d90-0d4ac9ba450f-PatMikeCourt84.jpg
B9318324575Z.1_20150803165354_000_G70BHDNQJ.1-0.jpg

My last visit was a few short years ago when we were hosting PSU. The Courtside was all branded up as a PSU watering hole. Curious. I walked out and on.

I remember the first time I went there and I saw the words “CRUEL BUT FAIR” on the wall. I was wondering if that was something from the previous band, but no. It was someone’s sense of humor.

after googling that phrase……found this:

I remember the first time I went there and I saw the words “CRUEL BUT FAIR” on the wall. I was wondering if that was something from the previous band, but no. It was someone’s sense of humor.

after googling that phrase……found this:
IIRC, the guy at the door checking ID's sat in a dentist chair?

"Court Tavern, home of the stars," was their cheeky slogan and Bobby would always answer the phone that way whenever I called to find out who was playing (pre-internet days for young'uns reading this, lol), which was fairly often, lol. Bobby could be a bit gruff but he was a sweetheart underneath and the Court was a huge part of the social life of many in the NB area, especially folks who liked punk/alt rock (and cool, divy bars). The Court also had the best CD jukebox by the late 80s - it had no listed artists or songs, with the assumption being that one would like whatever song (mostly punk, but not all, which made it more fun) was randomly selected.

Saw literally hundreds of shows there mostly from the early 80s to the mid 90s, including the Smithereens at least 30 times before they hit it big. Other local favorites I saw more than a few times, as they played regularly at the Court, were Crossfire Choir, Bigger Thomas, the Groceries, the Cucumbers, Whirling Dervishes, the Blases, the Hub City All Stars, Opium Vala (Matt Pinfield's band), and the Bouncing Souls.

Also, saw more "major" bands (not huge acts, but bands that weren't Court regulars, who people outside of CNJ would know) there, like the Dickies, Jonathan Richman, Sonic Youth, the Feelies, and Bad Brains. Lots of sad folks out there - there's a Court Tavern FB group out there that folks have been posting to since this happened on Friday.

"Court Tavern, home of the stars," was their cheeky slogan and Bobby would always answer the phone that way whenever I called to find out who was playing (pre-internet days for young'uns reading this, lol), which was fairly often, lol. Bobby could be a bit gruff but he was a sweetheart underneath and the Court was a huge part of the social life of many in the NB area, especially folks who liked punk/alt rock (and cool, divy bars). The Court also had the best CD jukebox by the late 80s - it had no listed artists or songs, with the assumption being that one would like whatever song (mostly punk, but not all, which made it more fun) was randomly selected.

Saw literally hundreds of shows there mostly from the early 80s to the mid 90s, including the Smithereens at least 30 times before they hit it big. Other local favorites I saw more than a few times, as they played regularly at the Court, were Crossfire Choir, Bigger Thomas, the Groceries, the Cucumbers, Whirling Dervishes, the Blases, the Hub City All Stars, Opium Vala (Matt Pinfield's band), and the Bouncing Souls.

Also, saw more "major" bands (not huge acts, but bands that weren't Court regulars, who people outside of CNJ would know) there, like the Dickies, Jonathan Richman, Sonic Youth, the Feelies, and Bad Brains. Lots of sad folks out there - there's a Court Tavern FB group out there that folks have been posting to since this happened on Friday.
Bad Brains and Sonic Youth played The Court Tavern?

Seems like the future of the building is in the hands of Barrood Realty. Great read on what happened to the building and some history.

court-1977-383x500.jpeg

Oct-19-2001-Albert-outside-court-300x262.jpeg.webp

The Court also had the best CD jukebox by the late 80s - it had no listed artists or songs, with the assumption being that one would like whatever song (mostly punk, but not all, which made it more fun) was randomly selected.
Of course the Court will always be king in New Brunswick (RIP Mr. Albert) - but from what I hear (this is also early 90s, not late 80s) McCormick's had the best jukebox in town at the time. Before my time, but Jack was/is an old family friend. Fully missed out on the Melody (I was 12 when it was demolished?) but thankfully got to hoist a few drinks at both of these NB institutions before they closed.... "Everything dies baby thats a fact, but maybe everything that dies someday comes back"

(lots of Court Tavern and other NB music content posted on this youtube channel)

Reactions: Knight Shift
One afternoon as I saw Bobby chain smoking cigs, I asked if he minded if I lit a cigar. Dude flipped. It was as if I'd kicked his dog. Must've been a bad day. The place already smelled like an ashtray and I didn't even light up. They were all friendly most of the time.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Of course the Court will always be king in New Brunswick (RIP Mr. Albert) - but from what I hear (this is also early 90s, not late 80s) McCormick's had the best jukebox in town at the time. Before my time, but Jack was/is an old family friend. Fully missed out on the Melody (I was 12 when it was demolished?) but thankfully got to hoist a few drinks at both of these NB institutions before they closed.... "Everything dies baby thats a fact, but maybe everything that dies someday comes back"

(lots of Court Tavern and other NB music content posted on this youtube channel)
Went to McCormick's occasionally in the late 80s and well into the 90s, too, often as a pre-game for the Melody, as I love shooting pool and enjoyed playing on their tiny 7' table (love small tables, as I'm best on shorter shots) - and yes, they had an awesome jukebox, too. Something about the blank one at the Court, though, made it more memorable (even if one couldn't pick out a song).

Was not a regular, but maybe 4-6 nights a school year.. always had a good time there. Always needed to duck outside somewhere for air... was there a little fire escape type area? Foggy memories.

RIP

Sorry you missed out on the Melody. It really was great. Someone needs to recreate it as part of a movie or something... not a documentary... something that lets the audience get that feeling.

Reactions: RU848789

Seems like the future of the building is in the hands of Barrood Realty. Great read on what happened to the building and some history.

court-1977-383x500.jpeg

The Flaming Lips, Nashville Pussy, the Butthole Surfers, agnostic front, Matt Witte, fatty Lumpkin, strangefolk, bionic Rhoda, so many more

court-1977-383x500.jpeg

Sorry, got mixed up on that one: saw Sonic Youth at the Cook Gym in 1987 and I saw them at other venues, like Maxwell's. but not at the Court. I'm sure Bad Brains played the Court, though, even though it's not listed on their concert list (although those are notoriously inaccurate); also saw them at City Gardens.

Sorry you missed out on the Melody. It really was great. Someone needs to recreate it as part of a movie or something... not a documentary... something that lets the audience get that feeling.
Agree, it would be cool to have the bar in a film. A friend of mine has written a book on it and is trying to get it published; he said our story (which I've posted about multiple times) is in it. Speaking of which, here's my favorite show I ever saw at the Melody, where Miles Hunt, the frontman from the Wonder Stuff, did a solo acoustic show in 1991. For the last song of the set, Matt Pinfield, who broke the band in the US at WHTG (FM 106.3), performs along with Miles (there's 20 more minutes of footage on YouTube).

Was a real blast for my wife and I and a few friends who went, as Matt arranged to have Miles do my proposal for me on stage at the Fastlane in AP about 9 months earlier in front of about 1000 people (the band had modest success in the US, but not nearly as much as in the UK, where they had a bunch of top 10 hits with one #1). She said yes, lol, and we got to hang out with the band that night and with Miles and Matt after the Melody show.

Bobby, Doug (Sluggo) and the surly ticket collector were all pieces of work! Great characters......

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT