ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Pete Carril

The irascible Princeton basketball coach from 1967-1993 who gave the rest of the country fits with his back door cutting offense and tough D. Always remember the 1989 NCAA Rd 1 game when #16 seed Princeton almost upset #1 seed Georgetown. Big halftime lead, but they just couldn't contain freshman Alonzo Mourning in the 2nd half. He was 93.

Reactions: Scarlet83
The irascible Princeton basketball coach from 1967-1993 who gave the rest of the country fits with his back door cutting offense and tough D. Always remember the 1989 NCAA Rd 1 game when #16 seed Princeton almost upset #1 seed Georgetown. Big halftime lead, but they just couldn't contain freshman Alonzo Mourning in the 2nd half. He was 93.

Didn't they get robbed in that 1989 game or am I thinking of another?

Reactions: RC71 and shields
Didn't they get robbed in that 1989 game or am I thinking of another?
I think so, but I am not sure. I forget the storyline. It wouldn’t shock me if G Town got a few calls down the stretch.

Almost 35 years ago. I was a baby!! 😝

Reactions: shields
I think so, but I am not sure. I forget the storyline. It wouldn’t shock me if G Town got a few calls down the stretch.

Almost 35 years ago. I was a baby!! 😝
Yes. The Princeton shooter got mugged on a three point attempt at the buzzer with Georgetown up by one or two.

I was in Providence for the Rutgers NCAA game and saw Mourning reach up to block what may have been the Princeton game winning jumper from the top of the key and the refs probably swallowed the whistle in that spot. I think it was Kit Mueller, the Center, who took the shot.

And no, he did not get mugged.

I was in Providence for the Rutgers NCAA game and saw Mourning reach up to block what may have been the Princeton game winning jumper from the top of the key and the refs probably swallowed the whistle in that spot. I think it was Kit Mueller, the Center, who took the shot.

Great job Shelby!!!!!
Go to 14:50 on this video. Mourning never came close to the shooter. 100% clean block.
Interesting to note that Thompson did not have Dikembe Motumbo on the floor for the final play. Matter of fact according to the box score I found he never played in the game at all. Does anyone know if he was injured?

Last edited:

Then I am remembering a different game where the #16 should have beaten the #1.

Had the pleasure of meeting Pete a few years ago by chance at bagel street grill in plansboro

There is a funny story behind our conversation …but the short of it was He was STILL really ticked off that Pete Malloy missed that one and one that would have beat us In 1976…even forty years

Great basketball mind and coaching adversary …

RIP Pete

Back around 1982, I was bartending at the Knight Club. It was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Pete Carill and Bob Duicket (St Peter’s coach) stopped in for a beer. Apparently, they were in NB for a meeting of some sort. Anyway, besides me, they were the only two people in the bar. I had an awesome time talking hoops with two great guys/coaches. Great memory!!!

Back around 1982, I was bartending at the Knight Club. It was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Pete Carill and Bob Duicket (St Peter’s coach) stopped in for a beer. Apparently, they were in NB for a meeting of some sort. Anyway, besides me, they were the only two people in the bar. I had an awesome time talking hoops with two great guys/coaches. Great memory!!!
I remember being in a bar near Honesdale, PA back in the days of Five Star. Whitey was there and there was a piano so it became a night of drunken singing by all these coaches from across the country.

Reactions: Altrev
I knew Pete for years. He had 2 great rivals. Rutgers and Penn in no particular order.His 2 worst losses were Rutgers 1976 and the Georgetown NCAA game. His 75 team won a very talented NIT tournament and 76 was set up for an NCAA run. Rutgers was the impediment in one,if not the most emotional game in Rutgers history. Pete recruited Steve and really liked him as a coach. Steve's family could not afford Princeton so it was a non-starter.He ended up working for Eddie at Sacramento which was a tremendous irony. His offense remains mimicked even today by over 120 D-1 programs.My hunch is that if he was still coaching and by force of his nature,Rutgers and Princeton would still be playing. I am relatively certain of that.Great coach. Brilliant man.

A coach who accomplished so much with limited personnel. Some great games between Carill coached Princeton teams and Young coached Rutgers teams. Believe they were both assistants to Eddie Jordan when he was head coach in the NBA. Off the court, he was one of the funniest and most insightful coaches around. Pete Carill will be missed.

I met Pete once, poolside at the apartment complex where he lived. My son was living there with his mother at the time. My son and I were playing chess and Pete came over to chat. You could tell he loved the game of chess, which gives you an insight into the way he coached.

We talked for a solid 20 minutes, and among other things I asked him if he ever wanted to coach elite players at one of the blue blood schools or if he preferred the intellectual Ivy types. He said he would’ve loved the chance to coach elite talent for a season or two, just to see how far he could take them.

I thought of that conversation this past year as Martelli took over the reigns at Michigan when Juwan was suspended. Pete would’ve enjoyed that chance. RIP Pete, the game has been made forever better thanks to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT