ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees-INDUCTEES ANNOUNCED

Pearl Jam has got to get in - they were the face of the grunge era and the most popular band for a few years.
Yeah, why not put the ukulele band in with Janet Jackson & Tupac.

They really need to either rename this thing or create a hiphop/rap hall of fame.

Pearl Jam and Journey should be in. Pearl Jam is great, but a little overrated imo. Their live shows are hit or miss. I have seen them quite a few times and the shows were either some of the best I have seen or some of the worst.

Even so, they were in the group of leaders during a trans-formative time in music and have stood the test of time, mostly because they have stayed together. But still, that matters. If NWA is in the rock and roll HOF, Mookie Blaylock is a no brainer.

As for Journey, they rock. Another no brainer. Can't say much about ELO (I guess the original full band) but did see Jeff Lynne's ELO at The Bowl a few weeks ago and he was really good. Amazingly good actually.

Reactions: Knight Shift
they are underrated because they came from the grunge era and they aren't even grunge. one of the true rock bands that came out of that era and have stood the test of time.

Second rate band that deserves to wait. Too many classic artists that have waited too long.

Yes

then borderline

ELO and Steppenwolf

Then maybe Joan Baez

Then Pass

Only 5 get in. Pick your 5.
Shame that only 5 should get in, because it is a travesty that ELO, Journey, Steppenwolf, J. Geils Band, The Cars and Yes are not already in the Hall, and Madonna and other acts having questionable rock credentials are in.
Pearl Jam and Jane's Addiction can wait. It too Van Halen 10 years past their eligibility before they got in.

My 5:
ELO
Journey
The Cars
J. Geils Band
Yes
--------
Runners Up
Bad Brains
Joan Baez
Steppenwolf

Nominees Jann Wenner will let in above more deserving acts:
Chaka Khan
Kraftwerk
Tupac Shakur

Full List of Nominees:

Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Until Todd Rundgren is nominated / elected....NO HOF for anyone!

MO

Depeche Mode
Yes
Pearl Jam (Just as Revolutionary as Nirvana in my opinion)
Journey
Tupac Shakur

While perhaps splitting hairs I would say that Chris Cornell was the truly revolutionary force behind the grunge scene. Perhaps even Andy Wood, but he died too young.

Reactions: LC-88
The Moody Blues are not in the R&R HOF?

I like the J. Geils Band - and all but Geils were Jewish, so more credit - but other than longevity, are they really deserving of HOF status? It never struck me they were all that great, or all that influential (and it would seem to me a band needs to be at least 1 of those 2 things). I liked their songs, but that should not be enough for the HOF.

Joan Baez was huge - and very influential and prominent, and had longevity. I would think she should be in.

I did not like Pearl Jam, but they sure seem to fit a lot of the criteria as to what would make a HOF band.

ELO seems like a HOF band also, to me ... but were they influential enough?

Do not know enough about Yes - though there seems to be a consensus in this thread.

Tupac is an interesting case, with his career cut WAY short due to death. He seemed to be pretty darned influential, no, for the development of Rap and Hip Hop?

Little known fact, Temple of the Dog is playing shows this fall. Should be epic.

I happen to be a huge Cornell fan so I heard about the show. I saw CC at Count Basie last year (or was it the year before). Either way, the guy was great and still has an iconic rock voice.

I couldnt care less about the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but if you think Chaka Khan was a one-hit wonder then you have little credability when it comes to talking music. She's had a career spanning decades. You don't do that off of one hit.

Reactions: ScarletNYC
I happen to be a huge Cornell fan so I heard about the show. I saw CC at Count Basie last year (or was it the year before). Either way, the guy was great and still has an iconic rock voice.
While their later album(s) made them more popular, Badmotorfinger is epic and showcases Cornell's range. The four songs that open the album- Rusty Cage, Outshined, Slaves and Bulldozers, and Jesus Christ Pose, may be one of the best four song sequences on a hard rock album. The latter of the four, turned up to volume 11, peels paint off the walls and ceiling. Saw Soundgarden tour with Nine Inch Nails 2 or 3 years ago, and it was outstanding.

The Moody Blues are not in the R&R HOF?

I like the J. Geils Band - and all but Geils were Jewish, so more credit - but other than longevity, are they really deserving of HOF status? It never struck me they were all that great, or all that influential (and it would seem to me a band needs to be at least 1 of those 2 things). I liked their songs, but that should not be enough for the HOF.

Joan Baez was huge - and very influential and prominent, and had longevity. I would think she should be in.

I did not like Pearl Jam, but they sure seem to fit a lot of the criteria as to what would make a HOF band.

ELO seems like a HOF band also, to me ... but were they influential enough?

Do not know enough about Yes - though there seems to be a consensus in this thread.

Tupac is an interesting case, with his career cut WAY short due to death. He seemed to be pretty darned influential, no, for the development of Rap and Hip Hop?

Ask the Notorious Mr B.I.G...

MO

NO RUNDGREN...NO PEACE!

Ask the Notorious Mr B.I.G...

MO

NO RUNDGREN...NO PEACE!
The "inside" joke about getting in the HOF is that Springsteen and Bono have to approve them. Having said that - Pearl Jam is in. Eddie loves Bruce and visa versa

Only 5 get in. Pick your 5.
Shame that only 5 should get in, because it is a travesty that ELO, Journey, Steppenwolf, J. Geils Band, The Cars and Yes are not already in the Hall, and Madonna and other acts having questionable rock credentials are in.
Pearl Jam and Jane's Addiction can wait. It too Van Halen 10 years past their eligibility before they got in.

My 5:
ELO
Journey
The Cars
J. Geils Band
Yes
--------
Runners Up
Bad Brains
Joan Baez
Steppenwolf

Nominees Jann Wenner will let in above more deserving acts:
Chaka Khan
Kraftwerk
Tupac Shakur

Full List of Nominees:

Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

My 5:
ELO
Pearl Jam
Kraftwerk
Yes
Jane's Addiction (Since I have to pick a 5th)

Honorable Mention:
Journey
J. Geils
The Cars

Kraftwerk absolutely belongs in. They invented electronic music and pioneered "rock-oriented" popular music that wasn't ultimately rooted in traditional Anglo-Saxon, Celtic and/or African music. Very influential stuff.

As for the Rock Hall being a joke, it's different than a sports hall of fame. You can't look at it through quite the same lens. I do agree that having to have 5 inductees a year is rather silly. Having been to the museum though, it's quite an awesome experience.

My 5:
ELO
Pearl Jam
Kraftwerk
Yes
Jane's Addiction (Since I have to pick a 5th)

Honorable Mention:
Journey
J. Geils
The Cars

Kraftwerk absolutely belongs in. They invented electronic music and pioneered "rock-oriented" popular music that wasn't ultimately rooted in traditional Anglo-Saxon, Celtic and/or African music. Very influential stuff.

As for the Rock Hall being a joke, it's different than a sports hall of fame. You can't look at it through quite the same lens. I do agree that having to have 5 inductees a year is rather silly. Having been to the museum though, it's quite an awesome experience.
Interesting take on Kraftwerk, which is why I think Jann Wenner will push for them over more traditional and long-snubbed rock bands. Think that some of the older bands whose catalogs date back to the 1960's and 1970's should get extra weighting to their votes.

Maybe second rate was harsh. But in my opinion, there was not that much separation among Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots. Pearl Jam just seemed to be another grunge band. Not sure what is meant by their effect of pop culture--don't see it. Can't deny their success--but thought that the hall of fame was more about influence and who Jann Wenner likes than success. If success was a major criterion, then Bon Jovi should be in. The whole process is flawed. Why does there have to be only 5 per year? If 10 could go in (no pun intended), then Pearl Jam is on my list. With only 5, and the list of bands that have been denied entry or a chance for entry, it is difficult for me to put Pearl Jam ahead of them.

Please stop...you want Journey in and you are dissing those bands lmao

Reactions: Kbee3
Please stop...you want Journey in and you are dissing those bands lmao
And you are the critic extraordinaire of rock music? OK. I don't "want" Journey in. But there is absolutely no denying that they were the fabric of rock radio in the 1970's and 1980's. Don't Stop Believing is still a huge hit. If you can't see that, you need help.
The point was that Pearl Jam did nothing extraordinary to warrant getting voted in on the first turn. You think they are more deserving of Van Halen, who waited 10 years or Black Sabbath, who waited longer? This is not about personal preferences, it is about bands that defined eras and set blueprints for the future. Journey may not fall into that latter category, but the point is that the older bands have been crapped on long enough. Personally not a fan of the Moody Blues, but it is a travesty they have not been nominated.

The "inside" joke about getting in the HOF is that Springsteen and Bono have to approve them. Having said that - Pearl Jam is in. Eddie loves Bruce and visa versa

Isn't a Rutgers Grad still the CEO of the R/R HOF?

What does Todd have to do....produce great music (oh wait he's done that - see Hall / Oates); write / sing great songs (how many do I have to mention:
Hello It's Me (is my least favorite)
I Saw the Light In Your Eyes
It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference
and MANY, Many more.

A true talent / icon....Todd is well respected by musicians / techies alike (he was FAR ahead of curve) on most tech advances (e.g. I remember him playing on Doug Kirschner's show back in the early 80's...Todd / his 24 track machine - where he played all the instruments / harmonies).

It's more than a shame...and it DWARF'S the up coming Presidential Elections.

The R/R is RIGGED!

MO
No RUNDGREN....NO PEACE!

Not the greatest mix of bands ("Yes" was as bad as any concert Ive seen) but:

1) Pearl Jam-great writers and live. Maybe bonus points to Eddie Vedder for his activism
2) TUPAC-considered THE best or one of the best rappers ever
3) Joan Baez-don't know much of her work- but for combining music and activism

To me quality drops after these 3
4) ELO-maybe for their use of electronica in music (then again The Cars similar-have feedback not so good in concert)
5) Journey/JGeils-music quality

Thought I heard somewhere Bon Jovi was on the list. Also might need to review Janet Jackson-she an Madonna are considered pioneers in integrating dance w music.

Last edited:
Let's be clear, the name is the Rock and Roll Hall of FAME, right? So it should be filled with rock and roll bands that are, you know, famous. If the average person can't recognize five songs from a band, hard to say they are famous.

Yes and ELO would get my vote. #3 and #4 would be Pearl Jam and Journey if forced to pick two more. Tupac will get in because.

2) TUPAC-considered THE best or one of the best rappers ever

Say what? Can't agree. Solid, absolutely, but never in my life have I heard him regarded as "the best" and I wouldn't even put him in the "one of the best rappers" category. I'd put him as a 2nd-level guy but, hey, that's just me.

Not a big fan of the RRHOF, since music is so subjective, but if we look at the criteria for getting in (see below), particularly impact, innovation and influence (not sales or popularity), I would bet on the following getting in.

Pearl Jam - no brainer. Very influential and innovative and very popular to boot - and Vedder's integrity is beyond reproach.

Tupac Shakur - another no brainer, especially as the only real hip-hop act on the list. Tupac influenced a generation of hip-hop artists (and beyond).

The Cars - they helped define New Wave in the late 70s/early 80s and were hugely influential and innovative on MTV, back when they played music videos.

Kraftwerk - If influence and innovation were truly important, they'd be a no brainer also, as they were the godfathers of much of what became industrial/techno/synth and today's EDM music.

Yes - of all the "classic rock" style acts being nominated, which often dominate the inductees, they're certainly the most influential, being in on the ground floor of the prog rock movement - and being the best purveyors of that sound, for many.

Several others should also be considered, like Chic, Joan Baez, Bad Brains, and Depeche Mode, but sadly, I'm worried that popular, but derivative acts like Journey, Janet Jackson and ELO would get in over them and the ones above.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Induction_Criteria.php

Nomination and induction into the Hall of Fame is not about popularity, records sales, which label the group is on, or anything other than the process below. The love for, the evaluation of, and the impact of any artist are subjective questions to be answered by the nominators and the voters. Unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey, statistics are not relevant. Please read below:

The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. Individuals can be inducted in four categories: Performer, Early Influence, Non-Performer and Side-Men. The only formal criteria for the performance category is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago. That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate standards for evaluation.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Journey Styx and REO Speedwagon all deserve to be in

Steve Perry had a hell of a voice, followed by Dennis DeYoung and Kevin Cronin.

Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon? Seriously? They might have been popular, but they all played relatively similar, highly derivative rock dominated by formulaic power ballads. No way they should be in if innovation and influence are as important as the Hall says they are.

Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon? Seriously? They might have been popular, but they all played relatively similar, highly derivative rock dominated by formulaic power ballads. No way they should be in if innovation and influence are as important as the Hall says they are.
If what the Hall says matters does, ELO, Yes, and ELP would have been in years ago. The Hall of Fame is in truth nothing more than Jann Wenners' list of "My favorite things" with a mix of "those that I cannot ignore without losing all credibility"

They defined an era of music in the 80's

When you define and basically dominate an era of music you deserve to be in

Last edited:
If what the Hall says matters does, ELO, Yes, and ELP would have been in years ago. The Hall of Fame is in truth nothing more than Jann Wenners' list of "My favorite things" with a mix of "those that I cannot ignore without losing all credibility"

I know people love to think Wenner is the puppet master, but he's not even on the 41-person nominating committee, which selects acts that get voted on by the 810 members.

Not a big fan of the RRHOF, since music is so subjective, but if we look at the criteria for getting in (see below), particularly impact, innovation and influence (not sales or popularity), I would bet on the following getting in.

Pearl Jam - no brainer. Very influential and innovative and very popular to boot - and Vedder's integrity is beyond reproach.

Tupac Shakur - another no brainer, especially as the only real hip-hop act on the list. Tupac influenced a generation of hip-hop artists (and beyond).

The Cars - they helped define New Wave in the late 70s/early 80s and were hugely influential and innovative on MTV, back when they played music videos.

Kraftwerk - If influence and innovation were truly important, they'd be a no brainer also, as they were the godfathers of much of what became industrial/techno/synth and today's EDM music.

Yes - of all the "classic rock" style acts being nominated, which often dominate the inductees, they're certainly the most influential, being in on the ground floor of the prog rock movement - and being the best purveyors of that sound, for many.

Several others should also be considered, like Chic, Joan Baez, Bad Brains, and Depeche Mode, but sadly, I'm worried that popular, but derivative acts like Journey, Janet Jackson and ELO would get in over them and the ones above.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Induction_Criteria.php

Nomination and induction into the Hall of Fame is not about popularity, records sales, which label the group is on, or anything other than the process below. The love for, the evaluation of, and the impact of any artist are subjective questions to be answered by the nominators and the voters. Unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey, statistics are not relevant. Please read below:

The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. Individuals can be inducted in four categories: Performer, Early Influence, Non-Performer and Side-Men. The only formal criteria for the performance category is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago. That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate standards for evaluation.
I actually agree with your 5 picks and for pretty much the same reasons. We can't tell anybody about this agreeing thing. [laughing]

While perhaps splitting hairs I would say that Chris Cornell was the truly revolutionary force behind the grunge scene. Perhaps even Andy Wood, but he died too young.
Respectfully disagree regarding Wood. Mother Love Bone wasn't grunge, it was more of a Guns & Roses/Motley Crue hair metal band. His death influenced them/Pearl Jam & turned them into a more somber band, but I wouldn't say Wood's music was revolutionary. Heck, had he lived, MLB could have easily been left behind when the grunge scene crowded out the metal scene.

Janet Jackson has had more hits than all combined. Who cares about Super Bowl shows? And she was relevant in music for over 25 years. Disgrace that there is so much prejudice. Sexual and racial.

Janet Jackson has had more hits than all combined. Who cares about Super Bowl shows? And she was relevant in music for over 25 years. Disgrace that there is so much prejudice. Sexual and racial.

Well, she certainly doesn't have more hits than the rest, combined, but she is the biggest selling artist of the nominees, which is an interesting point. There's probably some threshold, above which, an artist ought to make it in on popularity and she's close, being in the top 50 all-time for record sales - although it looks to me that only the top 25 or so are all in the Hall. I like a bunch of her hits, but I don't necessarily consider her to be particularly innovative or influential, although I wouldn't argue if she got in.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/top-selling-music-artists-of-all-time/

Annie Lennox...not sure if she is eligible solo yet, I suppose she can be inducted as part of the Eurythmics but she definitely belongs one way or another

ADVERTISEMENT