ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roofer recommendations

dfr1966

Junior
Feb 1, 2006
Hi, I think it may be time for a new roof, my current one is somewhere around 27 years old. Does anyone have a recommendation for a roofer that they may have used recently? I'm in South Brunswick.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

OIP.wYk0-0_5nyOjbQxyx0FsrQHaEK

I just booked a guy today for my home roof. Is this for a house or commercial office? I am 2800sf home, center hall colonial. Two roof tear off and gutters. Corning Owens shingle $11K total. My high Bid was for a GAF roofing system $15,5K + $1K FOR gutters and the low bid was $10K. I am in Monmouth County.

I just booked a guy today for my home roof. Is this for a house or commercial office? I am 2800sf home, center hall colonial. Two roof tear off and gutters. Corning Owens shingle $11K total. My high Bid was for a GAF roofing system $15,5K + $1K FOR gutters and the low bid was $10K. I am in Monmouth County.
Its for my house, a ranch. I had an appointment for someone to come this afternoon, he didn't show up.

Hi, I think it may be time for a new roof, my current one is somewhere around 27 years old. Does anyone have a recommendation for a roofer that they may have used recently? I'm in South Brunswick.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I have used Penyak roofing out of South Plainfield for my home in Iselin (around 1995) and again in my current home around 2006. Very professional and super clean. I didnt find one nail or piece of shingle on my property. I would use them again

I have used Penyak roofing out of South Plainfield for my home in Iselin (around 1995) and again in my current home around 2006. Very professional and super clean. I didnt find one nail or piece of shingle on my property. I would use them again
Thanks, I actually have a call into them, waiting to hear back.

I grew up in SP and know many folks who have used Penyak in the past with no complaints. Nothing real recent though.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Its for my house, a ranch. I had an appointment for someone to come this afternoon, he didn't show up.

If you are still having a problem, DM me. I project manage stuff like this and have guys who can help you. A ranch is easy.

If you are still having a problem, DM me. I project manage stuff like this and have guys who can help you. A ranch is easy.
Thanks. I have a few appointments scheduled this week, hopefully they'll show up. I will definitely reach out if they don't work out!

I, too, have used Penyak, and highly recommend them.

I‘ve used Penyak any time I needed a roof. No complaints

Last edited:
Any ideas of what it would cost on average to install a new roof these days? I have a high ranch (in NY state).

Go on the GAF website and search for master elite contractors. They go through training courses to achieve that certification.

Speaking of roofers I spoke to a guy out here today who is a roofer and worked last summer when it hit 122. I asked why. Said he needed the money . Makes sense .He can't help you in Jersey but if I ever have a problem out here I'm hiring that guy.

Thanks, I actually have a call into them, waiting to hear back.
With Penyak you may wait for awhile . I was going to use them 3 years ago. Called 2 times ... didn’t hear from them for 6 weeks. By that time I hired a contractor with North and South/Central offices . Penyak’s quote was 1500 under what I paid for the roof and new chimney... 40 year roof... top materials... but I’m happy. Penyak does many in the areas of Union -Middlesex County

Speaking of roofers I spoke to a guy out here today who is a roofer and worked last summer when it hit 122. I asked why. Said he needed the money . Makes sense .He can't help you in Jersey but if I ever have a problem out here I'm hiring that guy.
Back in the 70’s my dad and I put a new roof on my house in midsummer. Never again.

You know, of course, twenty-seven years is a long term, but if your roof is still whole, I would recommend you to keep it. I mean, thus you can save some money and maybe keep the roof that was done qualitatively. I also repaired my roof recently and it looks new so by me this is a great alternative when you do not have money to spend on such stuff. There are a lot of firms that repair roofs, so it shouldn't be a problem to find one. Of course, it would be better if I could change the roof of my house, but to be honest I'm not sorry about the alternative I chose.

Last edited:
I ended up using MAK Construction out of Trenton in June. They gave me tbe best price and did a great job. I went with the GAF shingles, very happy so far.

My dad used Penyak after many of his neighbors did the same

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM

Very friendly office staff, and very reasonable price.
Did a great job.

Why can’t all contractors be this honest and reasonable?

KPI in Morrisville, Pa. Commercial roofer who does residential on weekends. Did my whole roof in one day. Great price, did several others in my neighborhood. Will travel to your area. 609 203 5931 (Jan). Good luck. $$$$

How about using Tesla V3 roof and solar tiles ?

The entire roof gets replaced with either the solar tiles or non solar cells as needed for power generation and a 25 yr warranty and you get the solar credits as well.

Go on the GAF website and search for master elite contractors. They go through training courses to achieve that certification.
I like the idea of roofers getting formal training. They guys that did my roof in 2007 put the nails in the wrong spot on many of the shingles that ended up leaking. They are like leak time bombs.

Reactions: Plum Street
The other thing is, if the roof doesn't have a very steep angle as many ranches don't, and you pick architectural shingles, the roofers have to take extra care to prevent the roof from leaking later. Architectural shingles hold more water, and the roofers should use a water barrier not just felt tar paper in certain areas.

I like the idea of roofers getting formal training. They guys that did my roof in 2007 put the nails in the wrong spot on many of the shingles that ended up leaking. They are like leak time bombs.
Actually working on a project right now to create a shingle that would be installed with no nails. Have several prototypes being tested. Any roof penetration is a chance of a leak. Nails are not what holds the shingles to the roof; its the adhesives. Nails serve a purpose only during installation to hold the shingles in place until the adhesives activate which is why you shouldn't install a roof below 45 degrees; adhesives will not activate.

Actually working on a project right now to create a shingle that would be installed with no nails. Have several prototypes being tested. Any roof penetration is a chance of a leak. Nails are not what holds the shingles to the roof; its the adhesives. Nails serve a purpose only during installation to hold the shingles in place until the adhesives activate which is why you shouldn't install a roof below 45 degrees; adhesives will not activate.
I had nails put in the wrong place on a roof on a home I purchased . It eventually caused problems . A roof that should have lasted 30 years only lasted 18

I had nails put in the wrong place on a roof on a home I purchased . It eventually caused problems . A roof that should have lasted 30 years only lasted 18
We have designed our shingles to provide a better chance for roofers to nail the correct spot. Some manufacturers provided a single line for roofers to hit. Knowing time is money, imagine a roofer with a nail gun trying to hit a single line while going fast. High percentage of nails will be off the nail line. Our product has a roughly 1 inch strip for the roofer to hit with nails. Roofers are accurate > 99% with the strip versus the line and allows the roofer to go fast (again to a roofer time is money).

We have designed our shingles to provide a better chance for roofers to nail the correct spot. Some manufacturers provided a single line for roofers to hit. Knowing time is money, imagine a roofer with a nail gun trying to hit a single line while going fast. High percentage of nails will be off the nail line. Our product has a roughly 1 inch strip for the roofer to hit with nails. Roofers are accurate > 99% with the strip versus the line and allows the roofer to go fast (again to a roofer time is money).
That does sound good.

On another note, anyone deal with the construction company “Power”?
At the time I needed a new roof, they happened to be in the neighborhood and knocked on the door. So I said sure give me a quote . What a mistake. They wanted my wife to be home , because they wow you with videos and presentation and an ultra high price . They hope the presentation gets the wife , rather than the blue collar roofer guy .
The power salesman wouldn’t take no for an answer . After about 2 hours I had to kick him out. It looked like he was about to cry . I said , ‘hey I told you I wasn’t making a deal today before you came here. I didn’t fool you , i was 100 percent honest.’
He kept coming down and down in price , but the price was still way too high. And there was a lot of bs in there : like we will staff the job with 10 people . And yeah there can’t be 10 people on the worksite without getting in each other’s way . Don’t deal with this company

Reactions: kupuna133
That does sound good.

At the time I needed a new roof, they happened to be in the neighborhood and knocked on the door. So I said sure give me a quote . What a mistake. They wanted my wife to be home , because they wow you with videos and presentation and an ultra high price . They hope the presentation gets the wife , rather than the blue collar roofer guy .
The power salesman wouldn’t take no for an answer . After about 2 hours I had to kick him out. It looked like he was about to cry . I said , ‘hey I told you I wasn’t making a deal today before you came here. I didn’t fool you , i was 100 percent honest.’
He kept coming down and down in price , but the price was still way too high. And there was a lot of bs in there : like we will staff the job with 10 people . And yeah there can’t be 10 people on the worksite without getting in each other’s way . Don’t deal with this company
Power put new siding on a neighbors house. They spent more man hours knocking on peoples doors then they did applying the siding. I never let the salesman in my house but he followed me around my yard while I was doing yardwork. He got the hint when I fired up the weed whacker.

That does sound good.

“ Power “ is an annoying company which badgers homeowners even going to the point of lying about why they were around and who sent them. We had a young female “ operative” whose claim was the company had a working relationship with the town. That was a lie as we checked after she left. Then found out she had signed us up for a project which was totally false. Filed a complaint with the township and notified the police department when that was in vogue. Be extra cautious with these people.

Reactions: Knight Shift
From personal experience, be careful hiring a friend!
We hired a friend to do my mom's roof. Good worker, did a nice job, not too expensive.

Fast forward a few years later and my mom called me frantically. He tried to break into the house and rob her. Nice guy. She thankfully called the cops who showed up in like 2 minutes. Led a high speed police chase and sure enough they cuffed and stuffed that SOB and I hope he is rotting in his cell now. Didn't realize soon after that job doing the roof, he got hooked on drugs and a string of robberies.

Power put new siding on a neighbors house. They spent more man hours knocking on peoples doors then they did applying the siding. I never let the salesman in my house but he followed me around my yard while I was doing yardwork. He got the hint when I fired up the weed whacker.
I'll keep my chainsaw handy if I see their trucks in my 'hood.

The other thing is, if the roof doesn't have a very steep angle as many ranches don't, and you pick architectural shingles, the roofers have to take extra care to prevent the roof from leaking later. Architectural shingles hold more water, and the roofers should use a water barrier not just felt tar paper in certain areas.
We experienced this with a beach house. Any roof with less than 4/12 pitch can be a problem. For us, it was wind driven rain that caused a leak issue.

Also, when getting quotes, closely compare the quotes. We are generally on top of details, but we had so many items going at once with a home renovation, we realized after the fact that our stupid roofer did not use drip edge. One thing he did that others did not include in their quote was use ice and water shield up the enter portion of our low pitched ranch roof. I have checked the drip edge situation during and after heavy rains, and it does not seem to be an issue, but would have preferred to have it included.

I always thought that there should be a better roofing system, punching thousands of holes through the roof doesn't seem like a good idea. This is a video of my issue. I am hoping to get 5 or 7 more years out of it (18 to 20 years) by doing my own repairs as leaks develop.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT