ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rooftop Solar Panels

Any thoughts about a standalone carport capped with solar panels? This should not affect your home insurance for reasons previously mentioned and although limited by size, it could provide enough juice to charge your car or offset your house use. What about a stand alone ground array?

I am very interested in what Tesla is developing in solar.

Both in panels AND roofing tiles.

Panels for roofs that aren't needing replacement on top of your existing roof.

Then solar tiles that are both solar collectors and roofing tiles, for those roofs that are older and may need replacement. The tiles are 25 year warrantry.

Both get Powerwalls to store and generate power when the utility delivery to your home goes down for whatever reason.

Sorry late to this thread and to be honest I haven't read every response to the original question. Here are my particulars in hopes that it helps you make the right decision for you.

We purchased / installed a 13,500 watt system back in 2009 for $4.17 per watt (net of fed and state tax credits). I have 10 full years of data as I track my annual inbound power (purchased electricity), outbound ("sold" electricity to the utility) and consumed solar generation. This all adds up to total consumption which would have been the power I purchased if I did not have solar panels.

Over the ten year period we consumed (gross usage) nearly 248,000 watts of electricity and assuming a cost of $0.14 per watt we would have spent approximately $35K on electricity over the 10 year period or $292/month (it's a 4,900 square foot house with a pool so this isn't a lot of money on electricity). However, our net spend over this time frame was a POSITIVE $25K. This was achieved because the SRECS generated (~16/year) and sold were more than the amount I sent to JCP&L over the 10 year period. Please note that SRECS, in the beginning, were selling for a lot more than they are today at approximately $225 per SREC. Of course I imagine that the price for an installed watt is also much lower today than it was 10 years ago.

In short, we went from having to spend $35K on electricity over a 10 year period to generating $25K. For anyone keeping score at home our cash payback was approximately 10 years (not counting the TVM).

Good luck !

I was looking at installing a wind powered system but it doesn’t seem like residential systems are cost effective yet

For OP it doesn’t seem like the savings they are promising is worth the effort

Yeah I'm not sure small scale wind production will ever really take off. I'm not an engineer, but my assumption would be that anytime you have a system with moving parts there is going to be maintenance and repair issues that will cut into the benefits. That said, who knows what the next 10 to 20 years will bring. If I were just getting into my current house (where we raised our family) I would definitely look into both solar and geothermal as long term money saving, eco friendly investments.

I wouldn’t put those eyesore panels on my roof that may void my roof warranty and increase my insurance no matter what the savings.

Reactions: Knight177lb
Still kicking the tires, but I did see that Tesla now has a warrantry for 25 years on the roof panel with some type of fire rating, which is Greek to me.

On the V3 roofing tiles they not only warrantry them for 25 years and hail strikes up to about baseball size, and they say the tiles have the highest fire rating available, more numbers which is still Greek to me.

So is home insurance rate rising, moot, with those type of ratings for fire ?

So has ANYONE here looked up Tesla for solar applications on their roof ?, or had one of Tesla's solar roofs installed ?

Are their cars so great that we should just go with the Tesla 'Brand' and get the darn things ?

I used to be a NJ Residential real estate appraiser and is anyone here one ? What would a solar electric installation do with a RE estimate ? It would be a plus for me, unlike a poor, for example.

I'm not sure why people think your insurance goes up - mine did not - or this somehow voids a roof warranty, it leaks, etc. The cleats (for the panel mounts) are screwed into your existing roof with an epoxy sealant that is probably more water proof after install than before. In fact, the only roof issue I have ever had in 18 years is from the rubber collars around roof vents (plumbing vents) that dry out over time which had nothing to do with the panels.

Like most things associated in life - you get what you pay for - and the quality of product and install is usually directly tied to price. I went with SunPower (which has an all black panel) and the installer was top notch. Any post install issues were promptly addressed.

As far as RE appraisal, from what I recall the township cannot increase your value due to panels. In fact, township zoning could not prevent a rooftop install as this was/is covered by state law. Of course it has to comply with electrical code. With regard to resale - since I own the system the annual savings going forward would accrue to any potential buyer and essentially provide a free month or more towards a mortgage payment for any potential buyer. How could that not be a benefit when I go to sell ?

I too run a small solar company for 11 years, lol. Mostly commercial though. If anyone owns a business and is considering solar for their home, consider having their company buy the system then lease it to themselves at a fair market value. Being able to depreciate it will get you a little more value.

Leases from other companies tend to be a bit of a rip off.

Do make sure your insurance is okay with it

Reactions: BigWill
Are their cars so great that we should just go with the Tesla 'Brand' and get the darn things ?

I am breathlessly waiting on Tesla Single Malt Scotch to hit the market, I've heard it's supposed to be the best damn scotch out there because, well, "Tesla"!

I'm not sure why people think your insurance goes up - mine did not - or this somehow voids a roof warranty, it leaks, etc. The cleats (for the panel mounts) are screwed into your existing roof with an epoxy sealant that is probably more water proof after install than before. In fact, the only roof issue I have ever had in 18 years is from the rubber collars around roof vents (plumbing vents) that dry out over time which had nothing to do with the panels.

Like most things associated in life - you get what you pay for - and the quality of product and install is usually directly tied to price. I went with SunPower (which has an all black panel) and the installer was top notch. Any post install issues were promptly addressed.

As far as RE appraisal, from what I recall the township cannot increase your value due to panels. In fact, township zoning could not prevent a rooftop install as this was/is covered by state law. Of course it has to comply with electrical code. With regard to resale - since I own the system the annual savings going forward would accrue to any potential buyer and essentially provide a free month or more towards a mortgage payment for any potential buyer. How could that not be a benefit when I go to sell ?

Not talking about the township ripping you off for increasing the value of your property. Sale value to the home when/if you put the home onto the market. A Reas Estate Appraiser looks/measures you home inside and outside and estimates the value of your home compared to recent sales in your similar area. That appraisal allows a lender to enter into a transaction with the buyer.

My thought is that a solar electricity installation should increase the value of the home being sold by a decent % of maybe 3-5 percentage points.

If anyone is really interested, I know a few guys named “John”, “Tim”, or “Pete” with very thick accents that would be glad to give you a call. Preferably while you are eating dinner.

Reactions: koleszar
I am breathlessly waiting on Tesla Single Malt Scotch to hit the market, I've heard it's supposed to be the best damn scotch out there because, well, "Tesla"!

I don't drink Scotch.

But I do know that "Consumer Reports" gave the Tesla MV the highest rating it's ever given a mass produced motor vehicle.

Anyone have one of the various models ?

Not talking about the township ripping you off for increasing the value of your property. Sale value to the home when/if you put the home onto the market. A Reas Estate Appraiser looks/measures you home inside and outside and estimates the value of your home compared to recent sales in your similar area. That appraisal allows a lender to enter into a transaction with the buyer.

My thought is that a solar electricity installation should increase the value of the home being sold by a decent % of maybe 3-5 percentage points.

Agree it should increase the value as it generates an ongoing economic benefit to the homeowner......... Will report back next Spring when we sell ..........

This 'industry' has received a bad names, similar to car salesmen, Dentist/Doctors and lawyers.

Anyone seeking help/service has to go off referrals from others or kicking the tires of several people of the above "trades".

My Sister was my Attorney, the Dentist Mary Anne worked for in Sea Girt for 30 years is my tooth guy, my Doctor is one referred to me by another Doctor, my car salesman knows that I only get cars from him and refer people to him.

So that's where I am for Solar electricity generation.

Echoing some of the positive comments here, we had our system installed for 3.5 years now and the SRECs received have covered our monthly loan payment (20 years at 135/month), our annual gas bill, and we still have some additional income after that. If I put the entire SREC payments received towards the loan, our system would be paid off during year 6 assuming a SREC value of $210 which is currently around $225.

DO NOT LEASE!!! A family friend has been having trouble trying to sell their rental property because the panels are on the front of the house and he didn't want to pay fees to break the lease and have the panels removed. In addition to that, you are not really getting the full benefit of having the panels installed. You will still have a monthly lease payment for 20 years while those that purchase are essentially getting free electricity after they hit their break even point in year 5-10 along with receiving income from SRECs (though I heard a rumor that with new installs they have put a 10 year cap on receiving SRECs).

Yep, it is stacked against you.
That was my impression but had no direct experience. If its too good to be true it probably is. I would assume the best bet if you really want solar is to research and do it yourself.. get a loan to pay for it... OWN it.. and get your fire insurance and general inurance costs into your calculations.

There is an advertiser on NJ101.5 who pushes that concept.. you own it all.. I remember in the commercial them mentioning "The big "Book of Ron" where he goes over all the math and calculations.

http://advancedsolarnj.com/

WATCH THIS with a critical eye.. seems true to me.. but what do I know?

If anyone is really interested, I know a few guys named “John”, “Tim”, or “Pete” with very thick accents that would be glad to give you a call. Preferably while you are eating dinner.
O how I hate that.

When ever they do call, I politely ask, "sure let me have your number and I'll call you right back, can you be reached at any time?"
They say, "sure here's my number."
Me, "O before you hang up what time do you generally eat dinner"
They say, "Why?".
Me, "Because that's when I'm going to call you to make sure I inconvenience you just like you did me."

I don't drink Scotch.

But I do know that "Consumer Reports" gave the Tesla MV the highest rating it's ever given a mass produced motor vehicle.

I own a long range model 3. In addition to being the best car I've ever been in, it is the most fun thing I have ever owned.
Keep your ears open for Tesla battery day on September 22.

What are the numbers you look at when buying?

Cost of the system
Normal energy use
What you can sell the excess energy back for?

What are the numbers you look at when buying?

Cost of the system
Normal energy use
What you can sell the excess energy back for?

You really have no control over the sale of excess energy. In my case, the original contract I signed would have given me two additional panels on my roof, but after PSE&G did an analysis and felt that I would be overproducing at too high of a rate, the contract was amended to remove those panels. The rate that your energy company pays you for excess energy produced is extremely low compared to the rates they charge their customers anyway. The real value is the SRECs generated at 1 per 1,000 kwh produced.

BIG fire at Renkitt Bensiker in Hillsborough (Corner of Rt 206 and Hillsborough Rd). Believe its up to 5 alarms.

Some reports are that this was caused by a solar panel. No idea how they could have determined that so early though, so it definitely a bit suspect.

You really have no control over the sale of excess energy. In my case, the original contract I signed would have given me two additional panels on my roof, but after PSE&G did an analysis and felt that I would be overproducing at too high of a rate, the contract was amended to remove those panels. The rate that your energy company pays you for excess energy produced is extremely low compared to the rates they charge their customers anyway. The real value is the SRECs generated at 1 per 1,000 kwh produced.
Okay

So what are you looking at for SRECs

BIG fire at Renkitt Bensiker in Hillsborough (Corner of Rt 206 and Hillsborough Rd). Believe its up to 5 alarms.

Some reports are that this was caused by a solar panel. No idea how they could have determined that so early though, so it definitely a bit suspect.
Oh no! are the milfs at the Deli in danger? What about rumors for Rutgers football?

Seriously though.. this the household brands.. lysol, etc?

This could be a serious chemical fire, yes? Winds seem to be generally headed to the northeast there.. that would bring any chemical fallout over toward manville / bopundbrook, rt 28/22 path.

on google maps satelite view.. they are covered with solar panels.. and have chemical rail cars.. and chem tanks outside.. I hope they are not in danger..

They lost money last year and are part of the Opiod lawsuit class actions.. I hope this wasn't intentional.

Last edited:
you're still dependent on PSEG-- unless charging those batteries , if it's even legal, and that's a bitch--there are gas fumes and all kinds of issues--if you are living in the wilderness , I get solar power but better have a giant gas generator as back up

I'm intrigued by the idea of solar, but the business model of solar, coupled with the insurance implications made me say no. The whole idea of being a power generating station for the power companies doesn't sit well with me. if i make it, i don't want to have to pay for it and then get "credits" for what i produce. the tesla roof with the powerwall? interesting, but expensive.

Reactions: ashokan
Lost power today West of West Point.....

Looking harder now as a result.

I don't drink Scotch.

Also have a long range RWD Model 3. I couldn’t love it more. Saving $1000-$1300 a year using electricity as fuel instead of gas.

I'm intrigued by the idea of solar, but the business model of solar, coupled with the insurance implications made me say no. The whole idea of being a power generating station for the power companies doesn't sit well with me. if i make it, i don't want to have to pay for it and then get "credits" for what i produce. the tesla roof with the powerwall? interesting, but expensive.

I've been generating all the power I use at my pad (since I just posted about my Atlantic City house in another thread, I will clarify that this is my Gloucester County house) and more. I don't have any problem with the business model. It's all passive; I never have to do anything. And I don't pay for power that I myself have generated (I think that's what you are implying).

I've had 48 panels on my roof since 2009. I own the entire system outright.

The house runs on what I generate during the day, and what I don't use, the power company credits me for and it goes out onto the grid with all the other power. The credits I build up during the day cover the energy I use when the sun isn't up. So I NEVER have an electric bill, even in summer when the central air is on. It works very well for me.

I've been generating all the power I use at my pad (since I just posted about my Atlantic City house in another thread, I will clarify that this is my Gloucester County house) and more. I don't have any problem with the business model. It's all passive; I never have to do anything. And I don't pay for power that I myself have generated (I think that's what you are implying).

I've had 48 panels on my roof since 2009. I own the entire system outright.

The house runs on what I generate during the day, and what I don't use, the power company credits me for and it goes out onto the grid with all the other power. The credits I build up during the day cover the energy I use when the sun isn't up. So I NEVER have an electric bill, even in summer when the central air is on. It works very well for me.

What did the system cost you

I think it was about 22k, something like that. I can't say it was a wise investment, in a strict financial sense, although it's already paid for itself (between lack of electric bills, SRECs, and the initial tax credits). To be honest, my wife insisted so we installed it..

This is a great thread -- keep it up, everyone!

I have tall trees in the back yard, and so I would have to go with panels on the street side of the sloping roof. I'm not happy about that, and I"m not sure a prospective buyer would be either. My utility bill (electricity and gas) comes out to over $200 a month, but it's not an unbearable expense. I'm concerned that at some point I'll need an new roof, and I already pay close to $1000 a year for homeowners insurance. So I"m concerned about the insurance and roofing aspects.

I was just looking into this since I didn’t have power for 3 days and don’t want a generator.

Bad news: SREC ended for new installs in April. Now there is a transitional program which is in the 90s per mWh for residential (compared to 225 for SREC?) and lasts 10 years at the guaranteed price.

If anyone has a Tesla roof would be really interested as I put a deposit down 2 days ago with 1 powerwall (battery backup). I’m not sure if it will go through because I tried ordering before and they cancelled my order after ghosting me when I asked some questions. I’m also a small consumer with only $65 avg electric. Fingers crossed.

My gas/electric bill is almost $300/month. After the storm, wife wants to install a generac standby generator (using natural gas). Cost likely around 6-7K. Better off with solar and a battery backup or the generac?

Check the various tax credits available at your location. Federal, State, and Utility the Fed is 26 % tax CREDIT for year 2020. I am in NY, West of West Point, so NY is different than NJ.

IF your current roof is OK, than check panels like Tesla with Powerwalls.
Without a EV car you should be able to be electric self sufficient thru their online calculation of your electric needs.

The $ math doesn't always work for you immediately, with the tax credits till you file for example, and if you may move within a few years of installation, but IF you plan to stay, say 10 years at same home or are thinking of buying an EV, like a Tesla, soon, the $ math starts to work quickly. Then a competent residential real estate agent and appraiser should know that the installation is a Plus for the value added to your home. (I was an appraiser in NJ and would give 3 - 5 % additional value now.)

There is the unmeasurable $ credit of a "Happy Wife" and being able to say "I'm a great guy, I'm helping save the planet and keeping Obumma's oceanfront home from going under water."

Last edited:
I have 21 panels on one side of my roof installed and owned by Vivent, a company out of Utah,the orangemen. No cost. Can't believe no one here used them. 1900 sq ft house we save about $20 a month in winter. This hot, ain't nobody saving on the air conditioning addiction. High bill was just $190, avg $76. Make sure your roof can handle the weight but in my case I can use the extra heft since we're right on the bay. Storm resistant on the one side. Unobtrusive, but have been given the evil eye by my more conservative friends.
Vivent was all over this area a couple of years ago. Must have been chased out by PSE & G whose energy they're supplanting because of the Green Deal of NJ.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT