ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Royal Farms Gas Station Chicken

How many gas stations sell fried chicken?
It seems like many of the posters here aren’t aware that Gas Station Fried Chicken is a part of Americana. The pioneer of gas station fried chicken is … the one and only Colonel Sanders. Yes, KFC which is now in probably over 100 countries (that is a guesstimate), started with a recipe that he sold in Kentucky gas stations.

So in your mind killing the homeless is OK?
No, in my mind I don't think killing anyone is okay.
Sadly, people living on the streets eat out of the garbage. I'm sure nasty chicken wouldn't make them sick.
It's unfortunate I had to waste 40 seconds of my morning responding to that comment.
Enjoy your Sunday and your chicken.

It seems like many of the posters here aren’t aware that Gas Station Fried Chicken is a part of Americana. The pioneer of gas station fried chicken is … the one and only Colonel Sanders. Yes, KFC which is now in probably over 100 countries (that is a guesstimate), started with a recipe that he sold in Kentucky gas stations.
I grew up in VA and gas station fried chicken is not a thing.

Gross.
Water or gum. That's what people should buy at gas stations. Maybe condoms if you're young and single. Rolling papers if you like to smoke. Chicken? Fried Chicken? No..Never.
Unless you're feeding the homeless or want to kill someone.
Gas stations are legit convenience stores around much of the country. Some have full restaurants, fast food or sit-down, attached.

And goddamn if some gas station fried chicken isn't the best breakfast when it's the only thing on the way to your destination.

I converted my skeptical Jersey lifer brothers on this fact, as well.

I grew up in VA and gas station fried chicken is not a thing.

Correct. Colonel Sanders started in KY. I think the first franchise outside of KY was out west and then in the late 50s and early sixties he expanded aggressively and then sold the business.

Their right in the middle of building one on the intersection of rt.70 and rt.88 in Brick. The old Jersey Paddler location. Look forward to trying it out when they open

Reactions: cicero grimes
did a segment on Colonel Sanders
FQhf4zY.gif

The History Channel chicken show aired earlier tonight, was almost over when I realized it was on.

Gas stations are legit convenience stores around much of the country. Some have full restaurants, fast food or sit-down, attached.

And goddamn if some gas station fried chicken isn't the best breakfast when it's the only thing on the way to your destination.

I converted my skeptical Jersey lifer brothers on this fact, as well.
Sounds finger lickin' good!

Reactions: fsg2
Thats why I was questioning getting chicken from a gas station LOL
Meh, deep fried food is the safest when you're dealing with questionable hygiene conditions (though the RoFa in Manville is clean as a whistle). That's my go to in the developing world and it's a tip that's served me well. You certainly can't say the same about sushi.

Weirdly enough some of the best BBQ I have ever had was in Kansas in a gas station. Although to be fair, it’s a legit situation and not on the warming rack next to scratch offs.
The old Oklahoma Joe's in KC? It's since been renamed Joe's KC BBQ after some legal battle I think, but that place was ridiculously good.

Reactions: okieKnight908
At certain times of the year, you can buy baby chicks and ducks (maybe bunnies too) at Tractor Supply for practically nothing. I am sure the idea is to bring people in to buy food for them like the Free razor in the mail deal to get you to buy razor blades. Anyway, in the cute scale, they are an 11 ! Tractor Supply has locations all over the state now, including a new one opening soon in Toms River.

This thread reminds me of a story a saw on the news where a guy was making and serving Indian food at a truck stop in Laramie, Wyoming. It only accounted for 5-10 percent of his business but it started becoming a destination and the truckers would spend much more money on fuel and other things. Link: Indian Food at a Truck Stop?

It really is a shame Jersey Paddler is gone. A real treasure in New Jersey for folks into the outdoors. I think it was the largest kayak and canoe store on the East Coast, hundreds and hundreds on site, plus you could test paddle right at the River next door. Every year for years, they would rent the Garden State Convention Center and have a zillion companies come in to sell their products, plus there would be speakers, movies, seminars. Staff at the shop was very helpful about places to paddle and very patient with newbies. They also never tried to steer you into more expensive gear you didn’t need.

This thread reminds me of a story a saw on the news where a guy was making and serving Indian food at a truck stop in Laramie, Wyoming. It only accounted for 5-10 percent of his business but it started becoming a destination and the truckers would spend much more money on fuel and other things. Link: Indian Food at a Truck Stop?
Saw that same story a couple years ago. Don't even watch CBS Sunday Morning regularly but my wife had the TV tuned to it the day it ran while we were making breakfast. Caught us by surprise but fun to see something like that out of left field.

Reactions: RUPete
It really is a shame Jersey Paddler is gone. A real treasure in New Jersey for folks into the outdoors. I think it was the largest kayak and canoe store on the East Coast, hundreds and hundreds on site, plus you could test paddle right at the River next door. Every year for years, they would rent the Garden State Convention Center and have a zillion companies come in to sell their products, plus there would be speakers, movies, seminars. Staff at the shop was very helpful about places to paddle and very patient with newbies. They also never tried to steer you into more expensive gear you didn’t need.
Place definitely seemed like a treasure. When did it go out of business? And where do you go for kayaks now?

Fsg, I would say it must be around five years now. I liked the look of the building they had and it was just sitting there until I guess late Summer or Fall and then poof it was gone. Behind the building they had hundreds of kayaks on tall racks. I have had my kayak, paddles, life jacket since the late 90s. If someone was going to buy one now, you have Campmor near Paramus/Ramsey, Dicks Sporting Goods, Eastern Mountain Sports, REI, LL Bean,and Ramsey Outdoors. If you just want to get something to have a little fun with, Wal Mart has a few models. Another place to check are the companies that run trips at the Shore, around South Jersey Rivers, and the Delaware River. At the end of the Summer/early Fall sometimes they will sell some of their used inventory and you get a great price.

I remember speaking to one of the managers as they were winding down operations. People loved going there for the "expertise and advice" but would go down the road to Dicks or online to buy their gear to save $20. In the end that was their undoing. Providing too much information without a commitment.

They were fantastic to deal with...

Reactions: cicero grimes
Kupun, that really stinks to do that to somebody . I have heard of people who do that with hiking boots too.—Does it cost A TON to have a boat shipped to your house. I don’t know how much exactly, but my Acadia must weigh at least 35 pounds and it is 12 and a half feet long.

I remember speaking to one of the managers as they were winding down operations. People loved going there for the "expertise and advice" but would go down the road to Dicks or online to buy their gear to save $20. In the end that was their undoing. Providing too much information without a commitment.

They were fantastic to deal with...
A problem for independent gear shops of all kinds.

Although, that type of customer was never going to buy at Jersey Paddler, anyway. The real problem is online and big box competition to begin with. Better selection, readily available reviews and savings much more significant than $20. And previously, ridiculously generous lifetime warranties that little guys couldn't match.

Heaven confirmed what I was thinking in that most places to buy now are major outdoor big box stores.

I miss Jersey Paddler immensely. They were an incredible resource to the paddling world - throughout the northeast, not just Jersey. They also used to sponsor an annual expo in Somerset called Paddlesport which was incredible as well.

OK Rutgers Nation Royal Farms is opening another location in NJ and they claim to have the "best Gas station Fried Chicken".

Saw that advertised in Delaware and now they are expanding into NJ.

Has anyone indulged yet or would you?

Many a time

Very, very good chicken

My favorite is the Chesapeake sliders ( special Chesapeake sauce with breaded spicy chicken and pickles). Kicks ass, also serve in the am

Fsg, Jersey Paddler had an insane variety - bunch of different manufacturers, types, colors, price ranges. If you have ever been to Reedman for cars, that was Jersey Paddler for paddling. Now that they are gone, I can’t imagine someone buying a canoe or kayak online without sitting in it or trying it out on the Metedconk which was right next door. It was GREAT at the Convention Center where EVERYONE in the industry was there with their newest stuff and discounting prices. Jersey Paddler customer service was terrific. When you bought a rack, no need to figure out how to put it on your car and make sure it was on safely. They didn’t just hand you a rack. They put it on right when you purchased it. A real shame what Bezos and the others have done to businesses around the country. I never thought I would root for Wal Mart against another company, but Amazon has done it for me.

ADVERTISEMENT