ADVERTISEMENT

OT RU army Lax game

We're not looking too good right now. Still early but Army is getting the faceoffs and ground balls.

Nice comeback down 5-1. need to play d 2nd 1/2 and keep pressing with good shots

Faceoffs and groundballs weren’t great. Deep dive stats weren’t found but our shooting percentage couldn’t have been good.

Disappointed in Army’s style. They were never a team to play stall ball. It always made the game exciting. They sat in the ball the whole game. A few questionable calls, some pipes, a few bad bounces. Just wasn’t our day.

Keep the ball moving in O and get better in the groundball department. Shoot better and we will be fine. D and goalie play looked very solid.

Faceoffs and groundballs weren’t great. Deep dive stats weren’t found but our shooting percentage couldn’t have been good.

Disappointed in Army’s style. They were never a team to play stall ball. It always made the game exciting. They sat in the ball the whole game. A few questionable calls, some pipes, a few bad bounces. Just wasn’t our day.

Keep the ball moving in O and get better in the groundball department. Shoot better and we will be fine. D and goalie play looked very solid.
Have to move the ball on O. Too much 1 on 1.

Losing is just as contagious as a baseball lineup in which everyone is hitting at the same time. Our sports programs were allowed to stay in the tank for years.We can blame the past administrations for piss poor hires and no funding to build a quality brick and mortar infrastructure but there was no real money.There is NO reason to think it will end soon though Hobbs is doing an excellent job since he took over.In sports such as soccer, lacrosse, baseball , girls softball there is less of an excuse for not being much more competitive . Coaching is the key plain and simple. We all can agree on the lack of credible coaches over the past especially in the non revenue sports. It is not a jinx as much as it is a lack of monetary inflow.

Lax circles and some pretty good sources told me our first two games were serious warning signs.
We don’t have the luxury of playing down to our opponents.
I understand what Brecht tells the press is different than what he tells the team, but IMO...his game summaries should have been far more critical of our play.

My question will be about 2 schools not in our conference but who we have played for years St.Johns and Seton Hall . I haven’t been back at the Hall since forever. Mike Shephard Sr. was like Fred Hill a legend in college baseball in this area. Mike Jr. also has done well and kept the program stable .I believe he is still at the Hall. Who s currently at St.Johns? Another New Jersey guy ? Are their facilities that much better ? Cundari s a great former player and pitching coach. Several of the scouts I still have contacts with are baffled at our decline over the past 5-7 years. One of them played for Rutgers and scouts Long Island . He told me several years ago who is in charge is what many kids look at.Is Litterio in over his head?

Lax circles and some pretty good sources told me our first two games were serious warning signs.
I understand what Brecht tells the press is different than what he tells the team, but IMO...his game summaries should have been far more critical of our play.

I certainly don't have the inside word on RU lax that you (and others here) do, but I had been hearing before the season started to beware of Army this year. I think the next few weeks are critical. BTW, I watched the Penn State - Stony Brook game on the B1G Network Saturday, and PSU looked beatable.

My question will be about 2 schools not in our conference but who we have played for years St.Johns and Seton Hall . I haven’t been back at the Hall since forever. Mike Shephard Sr. was like Fred Hill a legend in college baseball in this area. Mike Jr. also has done well and kept the program stable .I believe he is still at the Hall. Who s currently at St.Johns? Another New Jersey guy ? Are their facilities that much better ? Cundari s a great former player and pitching coach. Several of the scouts I still have contacts with are baffled at our decline over the past 5-7 years. One of them played for Rutgers and scouts Long Island . He told me several years ago who is in charge is what many kids look at.Is Litterio in over his head?
I think you wanted this in the baseball thread Bob

Army is actually pretty good in lacrosse (currently ranked 9th). Probably West Point's best sport the last decade. Lacrosse recruits who are also good students are all over NY (unlike football). Army's not a team RU can "play down" to.

Army is actually pretty good in lacrosse (currently ranked 9th). Probably West Point's best sport the last decade. Lacrosse recruits who are also good students are all over NY (unlike football). Army's not a team RU can "play down" to.
The point was we wouldn’t handle a team of ARMY’s caliber.
We played down to RMU and St Johns

Reactions: ashokan
I understand what Brecht tells the press is different than what he tells the team, but IMO...his game summaries should have been far more critical of our play.[/QUOTE
IMO we have not looked good at all. Certainly not like a top 10 team. Didn't look good in our scrimmage against HC either. Really miss the Charlambedis kid.

The point was we wouldn’t handle a team of ARMY’s caliber.
We played down to RMU and St Johns
I am not convinced that we played down to either team. they played slow down whenever they had the ball which I would expect from St. John's but not really from RMU. We did not dominate the face-off game and they opposing coaches made a point of stopping our transition game which they did successfully for most of the game. Our transition game relies at least somewhat on our ability to win face-off's and to create turnover's. In all three games our opponent was able to win face-off's and slow down our transition game which forced us to play a lot of 6v6 which a lot of teams struggle with and thats why teams want to find other ways to score as it is very hard to score 6v6.

Against Army we had a bad shooting day (21%) and we did not shoot enough (only 32 shots and only 13 on cage) Their goalie only made 6 saves while Edelman made 14. we need to finish, we had one shot where it was tied and our pole hit the post and it bounced right to an Army player who transitioned back down the other end and they were able to score on that possession made the score 8-7 them when it should have been 8-7 us. If we had shot better against RMU and St. John's we would have won both of those games by 6 or 8.

At little bad fortune didn't help our shooting woes.

Army scored 2 off of very lucky bounces. We hit at least two posts. All year though our shooting hasn't been great. That and groundballs/faceoffs are two areas where we must do better.

Army scored 2 off of very lucky bounces. We hit at least two posts. All year though our shooting hasn't been great. That and groundballs/faceoffs are two areas where we must do better.
I was hoping that Jojo's return would have a positive impact but it did not really. I also thought that we were out game planned on the wings as we won a couple of the face off's that I saw but they won the roundball mostly because we were not in a great place on the wing.

Lacrosse ? Really ?
I still can't figure why there isn't a pro league for such an entertaining sport.

Lacrosse ? Really ?
I still can't figure why there isn't a pro league for such an entertaining sport.
There is.
There are actually two:

The NLL which is the indoor "Box" version played in a hockey rink. Very violent, but fun to watch.

And MLL which is the outdoor field version most are more familiar with and the kind we are talking about in this thread.

Probably draws less than the Lingerie League.
According to some numbers I've found, the ladies average around 4K (which I find suspect) while the NLL numbers say an average of 9K and the MLL a little over 4K.

I was hoping that Jojo's return would have a positive impact but it did not really. I also thought that we were out game planned on the wings as we won a couple of the face off's that I saw but they won the roundball mostly because we were not in a great place on the wing.

I was too, and he did pretty well while he was in there, but he was limited. He didn't take too many draws. Shoen took the lion share. I am sure they are bringing him along slowly. As much as we want these games, it's all a lead up to the B1G. We have to have him at full strength for that stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT