ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU Dance Marathon

RUin2WIN

Junior
Sep 25, 2014
Rutgers
I'm sure some here are aware, but others may not be, that RU holds a dance marathon every spring with the Embrace Kids Foundation. The goal is to raise money for childhood cancer. That money is used for everything from treatments to paying bills for families who are struggling financially because of the medical bills.

I'm a team captain and will be dancing the whole 12 hours. If you would like to donate to a great cause I'll be putting a link at the bottom of this post.

Posting here because it was suggested to me by a very popular poster who donated to my campaign.

Also this is the RU version of Thon and if you like the idea of it but couldn't bring yourself to donate to anything PSU related this is a good alternative!

https://secure3.convio.net/kids/sit...Y_ID=1005590&PROXY_TYPE=20&mfc_pref=T

Last edited:
It's only 12 hours now? Was 32 when I did it.

You're right though. Awesome cause.
There are two twelve hour sessions. Technically I'll only have to be there for one of them, but I'll probably go for both anyway. It's something I am looking forward to!

I'm sure some here are aware, but others may not be, that RU holds a dance marathon every spring with the Embrace Kids Foundation. The goal is to raise money for childhood cancer. That money is used for everything from treatments to paying bills for families who are struggling financially because of the medical bills.

I'm a team captain and will be dancing the whole 12 hours. If you would like to donate to a great cause I'll be putting a link at the bottom of this post.

Posting here because it was suggested to me by a very popular poster who donated to my campaign.

Also this is the RU version of Thon and if you like the idea of it but couldn't bring yourself to donate to anything PSU related this is a good alternative!

Great cause. Thanks for doing this. I just donated.

Donated, thanks for posting link
Let's keep those donations HOME instead of to that out of state State school canning on every street corner!

Donated, thanks for posting link
Let's keep those donations HOME instead of to that out of state State school canning on every street corner!

I've been critical of the Penn St dance marathon in the past (mostly because of how they promote the charity vs how they actually use the money). However childhood cancer does not recognize state lines and both the Penn St and Rutgers dance marathons are worthwhile causes. While I understand that some people may prefer to donate to a charity that is more local to where they live, others may have different reasons to support one dance marathon over the other, or to support both.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
I've been critical of the Penn St dance marathon in the past (mostly because of how they promote the charity vs how they actually use the money). However childhood cancer does not recognize state lines and both the Penn St and Rutgers dance marathons are worthwhile causes. While I understand that some people may prefer to donate to a charity that is more local to where they live, others may have different reasons to support one dance marathon over the other, or to support both.

personally, I would never, ever, donate to anything psu related. Instead I donate to any dance marathons that my friends or kids of friends dance in (I donated to the OP's fund already)

here is a pretty interesting article about the psu thon, written by the psu paper. it seems all is not great in thon world...even the comments are pretty negative on it. Something I learned from reading it: psu thon money only goes to Hershey medical center...despite the fact that they can all over the state of Pa and here in NJ.

Why I don't THON:

Kudos to you for raising funds so early. It still seems weird to me, the whole "whole 12 hours" thing-- back in my day it was 32. Lol. I guess I'm old.

Send me a message after Jan 1 (next tax year) and I'll donate. I was a former dancer, capt, and AD. Happy to help a DM brother out.

Kudos to you for raising funds so early. It still seems weird to me, the whole "whole 12 hours" thing-- back in my day it was 32. Lol. I guess I'm old.

Send me a message after Jan 1 (next tax year) and I'll donate. I was a former dancer, capt, and AD. Happy to help a DM brother out.
32 hours is a long time but I would still think it'd be worth it for this cause. I just want to get a jump on the fundraising so I can make as big a difference as possible. I'll make sure to send you a reminder at the start of the year!

32 hours is a long time but I would still think it'd be worth it for this cause. I just want to get a jump on the fundraising so I can make as big a difference as possible. I'll make sure to send you a reminder at the start of the year!
Absolutely worth it for this cause. I remember the last hour was a weird sleep-deprived, yet euphoric feeling. A very unique positive memory in my life.

The overnight hours were awful, especially after the visits stopped from those who were out at the bars.

DM is such an awesome experience. Good on you.

RUin2Win,
Have you thought about handing our fliers at Saturday's basketball game ? You might want to check with Geoff Brown (Director of Rutgers Marketing) and see if it is OK to do so. His email is gbrown@scarletknights.com.

I read some of that stuff.. it was pretty dense. One theme I saw repeated was that ths Frats and Sororities ran Thon and kept the best positions for their members.

Did the Greek community create Thon? Were they responsible for its success to get to a point where every student seems to want to participate?

I read some of that stuff.. it was pretty dense. One theme I saw repeated was that ths Frats and Sororities ran Thon and kept the best positions for their members.

Did the Greek community create Thon? Were they responsible for its success to get to a point where every student seems to want to participate?
I'm actually not all the familiar with the history of Thon. Was it started by the Greek organizations there? Obviously Greek organizations play a big role in the success of events like this but actually curious if they created it.

The Dance Marathon was founded by ZBT fraternity in 1971 and run by them until 1988 when it became so large that all the frats joined in. I remember working on Marathon in the early 80's and it was a huge undertaking with lining up all the sponsors, arranging for all the bands (all music was live), and staging the actual event at the Barn.

Didn't ZBT get busted around 1988 and have to publically get rid of any pledge program? I never connected it before.

Just bumping this incase anyone missed it. For those who need a better breakdown of something before donating. 100% of the proceeds raised go to Embrace Kids Foundation. Then Embrace Kids Foundation uses $.83 of every $1.00 to support the families. This money doesn't go to cancer research. Instead it goes to help families pay mortgage bills, buy groceries, pay heating costs, etc... Donating to cancer research is great, but this money has an immediate effect especially now around the holidays when families may be struggling and even tighter then normal on money. 40% of the Embrace Kids support for the year comes from the money we raise for the Rutgers Dance Marathon.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-ROCS

The way the Cultists talk about THON you'd think the concept of children cancer charities was invented in Happy Valley and they know they do it better than anyone else.

Beginning of a new year and so I'm bringing this back up for anyone who is looking for an amazing cause to donate to to start their tax write-offs for the year! Also hope everyone had a great holiday season [cheers]

Reactions: MrsScrew
Thank you
He's not kidding. That was a truthful post. Maybe not the weak millennial part. Heck, my frat (and many) had areas called "cold dorms"... you guessed it.. no heat. Word was that in the pre-80s days, pledges slept there... in rack bunks... in the cold.

And my question about the origins of Thon were of the Penn State Thon.. it is correct that ZBT started the Rutgers Dance Marathon... or at least they were running it in the 80s.

Just wanted to post the results since Dance Marathon was this weekend! Thank you to everyone who donated! With your help for the first time Rutgers Dance Marathon raised over $1 million dollars. There was about 1700 dancers this year. For those who were wondering why it was switched from the single longer session, the two 12 hour sessions allow for more dancers as the RAC can only have so many people on the floor at a time. Thanks again

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

I'm in.

ADVERTISEMENT