ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU fans: Yanks/Mets/Phils?

• Thread starter anon_ivydyf0amkzay
  • Start date
A

anon_ivydyf0amkzay

I don’t really follow baseball but am fascinated by fandom and such things...based on thread numbers alone, is it safe to assume RU fans lean decidedly more to the Mets than the Yankees or Phillies? The annual season threads usually works out to a 4:1 met/Yankee post ratio.

...or are Met fans just chattier?!?

Root for any team, regardless of sport, that has a Rutgers player. Locally, Phillies.

I don’t really follow baseball but am fascinated by fandom and such things...based on thread numbers alone, is it safe to assume RU fans lean decidedly more to the Mets than the Yankees or Phillies? The annual season threads usually works out to a 4:1 met/Yankee post ratio.

My impression is actually that there are more Yankee fans. The Mets fans just post a lot more, and unfortunately Yankees fans troll on their thread much more than vice versa. It makes sense that people who predominantly live in Northern and Central New Jersey would root for the Yankees more than for any other baseball team. The Phillies, as I can testify, run a weak third, which shows that Rutgers fandom has not penetrated South Jersey very well; the media down there do not cover Rutgers unless something truly exceptional is going on. and the media covers games between Philly-area teams (even Penn State) against Rutgers from the standpoint of the Philly-area team.

200.gif
Tough to hold devices and type without opposable thumbs

The Phillies, as I can testify, run a weak third, which shows that Rutgers fandom has not penetrated South Jersey very well
Rutgers fandom in the NJ portions of the Philly market versus the NYC market might be somewhat proportional to the number of Rutgers students & alumni now, and historically, from those respective regions.

Also, southern NJ just doesn't have the population base of northern NJ. And almost all of central NJ is physically located in the NYC market. So it's not surprising how much more fandom among New Jerseyans in general, but also Rutgers fans, resides in NYC teams versus Philly teams.

My impression is actually that there are more Yankee fans. The Mets fans just post a lot more, and unfortunately Yankees fans troll on their thread much more than vice versa. It makes sense that people who predominantly live in Northern and Central New Jersey would root for the Yankees more than for any other baseball team. The Phillies, as I can testify, run a weak third, which shows that Rutgers fandom has not penetrated South Jersey very well; the media down there do not cover Rutgers unless something truly exceptional is going on. and the media covers games between Philly-area teams (even Penn State) against Rutgers from the standpoint of the Philly-area team.

When I was at that age where one becomes a fan of MLB (6-8) there was only 1 baseball team in NY, as the Dodgers and Giants had left for California and the Mets didn't exist. Of course for 6 or 7 years thereafter there still was only one team in NY, but I guess that would be considered trolling.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Rutgers fandom in the NJ portions of the Philly market versus the NYC market might be somewhat proportional to the number of Rutgers students & alumni now, and historically, from those respective regions.

Also, southern NJ just doesn't have the population base of northern NJ. And almost all of central NJ is physically located in the NYC market. So it's not surprising how much more fandom among New Jerseyans in general, but also Rutgers fans, resides in NYC teams versus Philly teams.
I agree with your points but there's a vicious circle: Rutgers isn't followed in South Jersey, so South Jersey kids are less inclined to think of Rutgers as a place to go, which in turn means that Rutgers isn't followed in South Jersey because not many of our alums live there. My neighbors think that it's great to send their kids to the U. of Delaware -- Rutgers hardly fits into their thinking. It's a longstanding problem.

When I was at that age where one becomes a fan of MLB (6-8) there was only 1 baseball team in NY, as the Dodgers and Giants had left for California and the Mets didn't exist. Of course for 6 or 7 years thereafter there still was only one team in NY, but I guess that would be considered trolling.
I also started following baseball when the Yankees were the only NY team. But I remember plenty of people still followed the Giants and the Dodgers even though they were on the West Coast. A lot of New Yorkers first learned about time zones when they found out that Pacific coast night games began at 11 pm. When the Mets came, fans came out to see the Dodgers and Giants when they were visiting --- but the fans rooted for the Mets as bad as they were.

My brother is a Giants Mets fan...I typically think of Met fans as Jet fans abs Yankees fans as Giants fans...but he goes the other way...

Mets/Rangers here.

But I became a Rangers fan via a buddy who’s also a Yanks fan, so maybe there’s something to that Yanks/Rangers combo.

NFL, I’m a Washington fan.

Mets/Rangers here.

But I became a Rangers fan via a buddy who’s also a Yanks fan, so maybe there’s something to that Yanks/Rangers combo.

NFL, I’m a Washington fan.
Of course, it is weird that the Rangers have the name they do. It is derived from the name of Tex Richard, the original owner of the franchise back in the 1920s. The New York media would call the team "Tex's Rangers" as a pun on the Texas police form of that name, and the name stuck.

Reactions: rutger80
Unusual. The typical divide Yanks/Giants/Knicks/Rangers vs. Mets/Jets/Nets/Islanders. Devils pulled away some Ranger fans. Historically the divide made some sense based on game sites.
And TV networks. MSG was Rangers, Knicks and Yankees and Fatso did a Giants show.

My brother is a Giants Mets fan...I typically think of Met fans as Jet fans abs Yankees fans as Giants fans...but he goes the other way...

Unusual. The typical divide Yanks/Giants/Knicks/Rangers vs. Mets/Jets/Nets/Islanders. Devils pulled away some Ranger fans. Historically the divide made some sense based on game sites.
My Dad is a Giants fan, Football and baseball growing up. He was one of a the few in his neighborhood who was like that. Most were Giants and Dodgers or Yankees.

When the Mets came into existence as a NL guy he started following them.

So that’s why I am the same: Giants/Mets.

I would say I am Devils first but enjoy the Rangers too.

Was Nets but also hope the Knicks do well. Done with the Nets with the move to Brooklyn.👎

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
I highly doubt more on here are Met than Yankee fans LET ALONE “decidedly so.” Mets fans just tend to be all giddy in April and May. Yankee fans understand it’s a marathon not a sprint.

Plus, it just gets too depressing talking about the Mets after mid season or so. Wind is long gone from those sails.

Opposite for Yankees.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
My Dad is a Giants fan, Football and baseball growing up. He was one of a the few in his neighborhood who was like that. Most were Giants and Dodgers or Yankees.

Was Nets but also hope the Knicks do well. Done with the Nets with the move to Brooklyn.👎

I was in my 20s when the Devils came into existence. Too many Saturday nights in my youth watching the Rangers on Ch 9 to ever change.

I was in my 20s when the Devils came into existence. Too many Saturday nights in my youth watching the Rangers on Ch 9 to ever change.
Well as you said earlier about the game sites...going to the Garden via train was a lot more fun than driving to Brendan Byrne.

Reactions: PoorTailor
Well as you said earlier about the game sites...going to the Garden via train was a lot more fun than driving to Brendan Byrne.
From Somerset when I first bought Devils Season tickets their first year it was a lot easier driving to Brendan Byrne than taking the train to the Garden. And for all of my 15 years as a season ticket holder the Garden was a dump in those years.

From Somerset when I first bought Devils Season tickets their first year it was a lot easier driving to Brendan Byrne than taking the train to the Garden. And for all of my 15 years as a season ticket holder the Garden was a dump in those years.
Easier and in control when driving is always a plus. Can’t argue that.

Still, realizing outside is midtown Manhattan vs. a parking lot when the game is over (or heading in early) has its advantages too.

Rutgers needs to do a much better job marketing in South Jersey. The first thing is to get the word out that it is easy to get to Piscataway and it doesn’t really take long to get to games. After corona is over, would be good to have a football scrimmage and both basketball teams scrimmage once a year in South Jersey. Some of the schools in SJ have BIG gyms. Getting a real radio station with a strong FM station is also needed. WCTC High School signal is a joke—lucky if you can get it in Old Bridge, let alone Mount Holly, Egg Harbor, Wildwood, Pilesgrove, Cherry Hill, Vineland, etc.

I’m not a basketball fan but did peripherally followed the NJ Nets...as Brooklyn....PHOOEY!

Easier and in control when driving is always a plus. Can’t argue that.

Still, realizing outside is midtown Manhattan vs. a parking lot when the game is over (or heading in early) has its advantages too.
I've never been a late night guy even in HS and college. After a game I just wanted to get home fast. Nothing sucked worse then missing a train home by a minute and having to wait an hour.

Reactions: czxqa

A few Mets fan just like to whine, complain, and pretend to be hopeful during the season. All RU fans should root for the Yanks. With all that RU misery, our sports lives need some joy and happiness.

Reactions: Section124
Is Commack in Brooklyn ? I think they were called the New York Nets in Commack.

Rutgers needs to do a much better job marketing in South Jersey. The first thing is to get the word out that it is easy to get to Piscataway and it doesn’t really take long to get to games. After corona is over, would be good to have a football scrimmage and both basketball teams scrimmage once a year in South Jersey. Some of the schools in SJ have BIG gyms. Getting a real radio station with a strong FM station is also needed. WCTC High School signal is a joke—lucky if you can get it in Old Bridge, let alone Mount Holly, Egg Harbor, Wildwood, Pilesgrove, Cherry Hill, Vineland, etc.

Yes, WCTC's signal does not reach anywhere in South Jersey.

"It is easy to get to Piscataway and it doesn't really take long to get to games?" When I want to make a noon starting time, I need to be out of here (Cherry Hill) at 9:30 at the latest. The NJ Turnpike is pretty easy on a weekend, but everything gets difficult once off at exit 9. It is at best a 75-minute drive from my door to Rutgers, and of course it's much longer when there's a game. Then I have to park and take the bus, which I don't find reliable. After having driven so long, I want a place to eat and go to the bathroom, and I don't have to tell you guys what that's like at the stadium. Going home is equivalent. I don't mean to say that South Jersey is the worst place to go from for a game, but it's not "easy," especially for noon starts.

Yes, Camden ,in big time college football that is a breeze. Fans around the country, routinely spend four, six, eight hours each way to see their teams play. And then they wait on lines for a bus.

Yes, Camden ,in big time college football that is a breeze. Fans around the country, routinely spend four, six, eight hours each way to see their teams play. And then they wait on lines for a bus.
Yes, but that's in places like the West and the South where people routinely drive hours and hours for a destination.

Camden, whether living in Sussex County or Ocean County, I have had an 80-90 minute drive for basketball and football since 1983. To be able to see major college sports in the best academic-Athletic conference in the country, it really is around the corner. I don’t know your physical condition, but have you tried skipping the bus and park your car for Free and walk. Or have you tried other ways to get to The RAC . I must have tried ten different ways over the years before I found my perfect way. Just a thought.

Last edited:
And Camden, I hate Noon starts too !!! I don’t have children, but the Noon starts basically tell families don’t bother coming to the game unless you want to only see parts of the second half. The more we win, the less Noon starts. You rarely see Ohio State , Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, etc. play at Noon.

ADVERTISEMENT