ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU fans: Yanks/Mets/Phils?

• Thread starter anon_ivydyf0amkzay
  • Start date
Camden, whether living in Sussex County or Ocean County, I have had an 80-90 minute drive for basketball and football since 1983. To be able to see major college sports in the best academic-Athletic conference in the country, it really is around the corner. I don’t know your physical condition, but have you tried skipping the bus and park your car and walk. Or have you tried other ways to get to The RAC . I must have tried ten different ways over the years before I found my perfect way. Just a thought.
Is there really an alternative to taking the NJ Turnpike to Exit 9, then taking 18 past River Road? Is there some place I could get off 18 before River Road and then use back streets (say, in Highland Park) to get to a lot? I find that I cannot walk as long or as fast as I used to, and would rather not have to walk a long distance (say, more than a half mile) Thanks for your help.

I have to say thatt at my age the food/restroom situations at the stadium are a genuine challenge to me, as I'm sure they are to many fans.

Thanks for your help.

What I would really like us to do, is have park and ride sites at area shopping malls and office parks. That way, there is less traffic getting near the campus and stadium. I have been to several big schools that have those and they work great.

Have you tried taking Route 1 and then the back way into The RAC by the Edison Post Office?

Have you tried taking Route 1 and then the back way into The RAC by the Edison Post Office?
I'd be getting on Route 1 at I-295 (exit 67) and I know from experience that it's an ordeal going just to North Brunswick, let alone anywhere north of that. Thanks for your help!

Rutgers fandom in the NJ portions of the Philly market versus the NYC market might be somewhat proportional to the number of Rutgers students & alumni now, and historically, from those respective regions.

Also, southern NJ just doesn't have the population base of northern NJ. And almost all of central NJ is physically located in the NYC market. So it's not surprising how much more fandom among New Jerseyans in general, but also Rutgers fans, resides in NYC teams versus Philly teams.
I agree empirically with you and camdenlawprof but it doesn't mean our numbers down here are insignificant. The Philly/SJ market is worth paying attention to and the appearance of the BTN in Comcast and Verizon packages down here has been important. I've watched a couple Rutgers games in a VFW on the edge of what would be considered SJ's "Pretty Much Alabama" part and I wasn't the only one cheering. The market paid attention in 2006 but post Schiano v1.0, we left its consciousness. Many were into the basketball team's run this year but just like with football, it will need to remain sustained for all those with NB and Camden roots and family alums to stick with us.
I wear this often to Rutgers games to remind folks we exist...
75398373_10156508035335069_3026460877063716864_n.jpg

I agree empirically with you and camdenlawprof but it doesn't mean our numbers down here are insignificant. The Philly/SJ market is worth paying attention to and the appearance of the BTN in Comcast and Verizon packages down here has been important. I've watched a couple Rutgers games in a VFW on the edge of what would be considered SJ's "Pretty Much Alabama" part and I wasn't the only one cheering. The market paid attention in 2006 but post Schiano v1.0, we left its consciousness. Many were into the basketball team's run this year but just like with football, it will need to remain sustained for all those with NB and Camden roots and family alums to stick with us.

This is entirely correct. Fans may remember that a lot of Camden students came to our football game against Temple at the Linc. The South Jersey market needs development, even though we are restrained by the local media's disregard. Who knows? Maybe we can change that.

This is entirely correct. Fans may remember that a lot of Camden students came to our football game against Temple at the Linc. The South Jersey market needs development, even though we are restrained by the local media's disregard. Who knows? Maybe we can change that.
Yes, many there were Philly area RU fans that made it an event.
That was a very satisfying day, filling at least 2/3 of Lincoln Financial's lower level bowl in comparison to TU fans (maybe 3/4?), then spotting them 10 before dominating in the 2nd half...

I agree empirically with you and camdenlawprof but it doesn't mean our numbers down here are insignificant. I've watched a couple Rutgers games in a VFW on the edge of what would be considered SJ's "Pretty Much Alabama" part and I wasn't the only one cheering. The market paid attention in 2006 but post Schiano v1.0, we left its consciousness. Many were into the basketball team's run this year but just like with football, it will need to remain sustained for all those with NB and Camden roots and family alums to stick with us.
“Everybody loves a winner.”

That’s how you change it.

Camden, I don’t mean take Route 1 all the way North, just when you get near New Brunswick/Piscataway. Knightingale carts are those extra long golf carts you see where the bus loads and unloads. They have had them at least ten years.

Is there really an alternative to taking the NJ Turnpike to Exit 9, then taking 18 past River Road? Is there some place I could get off 18 before River Road and then use back streets (say, in Highland Park) to get to a lot? I find that I cannot walk as long or as fast as I used to, and would rather not have to walk a long distance (say, more than a half mile) Thanks for your help.

I have to say thatt at my age the food/restroom situations at the stadium are a genuine challenge to me, as I'm sure they are to many fans.

Thanks for your help.
If it's a nice day the best idea is to get there early. The lots don't start to fill up fast until about 2 hours before the game, so if you get there 2 1/2 hours or earlier you just cruise in. From the Turnpike 18 is the best Route in. After the light crossing Route 1, 18 has no more lights or intersections

I wear this often to Rutgers games to remind folks we exist...
75398373_10156508035335069_3026460877063716864_n.jpg

I didn't mean to imply that it was insignificant and I believe it is important for Rutgers to market aggressively in that region, both for fan base and recruiting purposes; it was more to explain the latent presence of Rutgers fans in the southern part of the state trailing that of the central and northern parts of the state as it's simply a numbers game.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I agree with your points but there's a vicious circle: Rutgers isn't followed in South Jersey, so South Jersey kids are less inclined to think of Rutgers as a place to go, which in turn means that Rutgers isn't followed in South Jersey because not many of our alums live there. My neighbors think that it's great to send their kids to the U. of Delaware -- Rutgers hardly fits into their thinking. It's a longstanding problem.
Understand what you're describing. The neighbors example is interesting because there's a kind of an ironic twist on the popular refrain of going out of state for college, as if that has some cachet, especially when the school is generally inferior to Rutgers academically on the whole. It could be a distance thing depending on how close or far someone wants to be from home at college.

From about exit 4 on the Tpk, UD's campus and the Rutgers campus are roughly equidistant. So folks south of that would actually be going further away to school, measured as being physically distant as well as travel time (on average), by going to Rutgers-NB than UD-Newark. Basically that's at least Gloucester County on south along the Tpk corridor. In terms of cost of attendance (not factoring in any grant/merit-based aid) why would those folks stay local to attend UD (could even actually commute to school there daily going over the Del Mem Br the closer you get to that neck of the woods) by arguing for getting "away" rather than the lower in-state cost at Rutgers that is actually further away? Rutgers-NB may have an out-of-sight, out-of-mind problem in the southern part of the state even though it also has a local campus in that region.

Yes, many there were Philly area RU fans that made it an event.
That was a very satisfying day, filling at least 2/3 of Lincoln Financial's lower level bowl in comparison to TU fans (maybe 3/4?), then spotting them 10 before dominating in the 2nd half...
I thought we spotted them 17, but of course I'm not infallible. The second half, you'll remember, was all Rutgers; I think we won 28-17 or maybe 35-17. I'm sure a poster will know for sure. It was a wonderful day for Rutgers.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Camden, I don’t mean take Route 1 all the way North, just when you get near New Brunswick/Piscataway. Knightingale carts are those extra long golf carts you see where the bus loads and unloads. They have had them at least ten years.

But I can't visualize how to get onto 1 from South Jersey without picking it up at 295. Is there a way to get from South Jersey to 1 near NB that doesn't involve picking 1 up at 295?

If it's a nice day the best idea is to get there early. The lots don't start to fill up fast until about 2 hours before the game, so if you get there 2 1/2 hours or earlier you just cruise in. From the Turnpike 18 is the best Route in. After the light crossing Route 1, 18 has no more lights or intersections
Thanks for your help. Getting there 2.5 hours ahead of a noon game means getting there at 9:30, which means leaving home at 8 at the latest. I'm sure you and other South Jerseyans do it, but it does seem like a long trip for a couple that's not as young as they used to be. In addition, what would we do to kill time? The stadium is pretty far away from anything else to see, isn't it?

Camden, in Athletes Glen, there is a different band playing each week and there are tables that are always giving away Free Rutgers stuff. The music is never anything over the edge, so it isn’t like you end up listening to Metaldeath. I used to take my nephews in the Hale Center to look around when they were little, but that was back during Schiano 1. I don’t know if it is still open on game days with Schiano 2. One of these days we will get around to building a huge gift shop at Rutgers Stadium like other major schools have. I guess you are older than I thought so I can see if you don’t want to get to the stadium 2.5 hours before kickoff. I thought you just hit 60.

Camden, in Athletes Glen, there is a different band playing each week and there are tables that are always giving away Free Rutgers stuff. The music is never anything over the edge, so it isn’t like you end up listening to Metaldeath. I used to take my nephews in the Hale Center to look around when they were little, but that was back during Schiano 1. I don’t know if it is still open on game days with Schiano 2. One of these days we will get around to building a huge gift shop at Rutgers Stadium like other major schools have. I guess you are older than I thought so I can see if you don’t want to get to the stadium 2.5 hours before kickoff. I thought you just hit 60.
Yeah, I'm older than that. Just so you know, being older has advantages -- my time is my own -- as well as disadvantages. Thanks so much for your guidance. I am glad there are things to do in case we feel inclined to make the trip to see Rutgers win.

Yeah, I'm older than that. Just so you know, being older has advantages -- my time is my own -- as well as disadvantages. Thanks so much for your guidance. I am glad there are things to do in case we feel inclined to make the trip to see Rutgers win.
I would suggest if you’re going to drive and park in one of the Lots, do what @WhiteBus says and come earlier.

Get some good camp chairs and just watch and enjoy the pageantry along with the scenery a college football Saturday offers. Don’t even have to really tailgate, just maybe walk around a bit, or not, but there is always something to see.

Last edited:
And Camden, I hate Noon starts too !!! I don’t have children, but the Noon starts basically tell families don’t bother coming to the game unless you want to only see parts of the second half. The more we win, the less Noon starts. You rarely see Ohio State , Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, etc. play at Noon.

I highly doubt more on here are Met than Yankee fans LET ALONE “decidedly so.” Mets fans just tend to be all giddy in April and May. Yankee fans understand it’s a marathon not a sprint.
Met fan and you could not be more wrong. Yankee fans love talking about ancient history. Could care less how many rings you have. So ridiculous seeing those T shirts. Main reason so many is because Yankees have been around longer than most. I have never been “giddy” over my team during any month. Enjoy watching them just like I do all Rutgers sports. I enjoy the victories when they come which admittedly don’t come as often as I like. Will still root for them no matter what

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Met fan and you could not be more wrong. Yankee fans love talking about ancient history. Could care less how many rings you have. So ridiculous seeing those T shirts. Main reason so many is because Yankees have been around longer than most. I have never been “giddy” over my team during any month. Enjoy watching them just like I do all Rutgers sports. I enjoy the victories when they come which admittedly don’t come as often as I like. Will still root for them no matter what

Yanks have won 7 WS since I was born. The Mets 2. Nice try lol!

Reactions: Section124 and fsg2
Yanks have won 7 WS since I was born. The Mets 2. Nice try lol!
Not my fault you are 85 years old😎. My bigger point is the Yankees last World Series win was 2009. I teach 6th graders. Most were not even born. All of those World Series wins in the 20’s 30s 40s 50s etc etc mean nothing to them. That is ancient history to them. Not debating the fact that the Mets have not won. Still enjoy watching them. Perfect example. They won today and got very lucky with a call. Will I be”giddy”? Nope. Happy? Of course but it is a very long season

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
My impression is that *everyone* hates noon starts, especially students and people whose kids have Saturday morning activities.

Not my fault your 85 years old😎. My bigger point is the Yankees last World Series win was 2009. I teach 6th graders. Most were not even born. All of those World Series wins in the 20’s 30s 40s 50s etc etc mean nothing to them. That is ancient history to them. Not debating the fact that the Mets have not won. Still enjoy watching them. Perfect example. They won today and got very lucky with a call. Will I be”giddy”? Nope. Happy? Of course but it is a very long season

At least those 6th graders can remember the Yankees playing in the post-season.

Nick, by the time practice/games are over on Saturday mornings for football, lacrosse, Fall baseball, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, karate, etc., you often can be looking at 1:00,2:00, even 3:00. Say you get lucky and it finishes by Noon. Now you have families dashing to their car. Even if you make a real quick stop at McDonalds to go in, grab some food, and have little Johnny and Susie take off their cleats and uniforms and change clothes, by the time you get to Piscataway from Phillipsburg, Andover, Jefferson, Mahwah, Pemberton, Howell, Manchester, Bordentown,etc., Park the car, get the bus from The RAC to Rutgers Stadium, go to the bathroom, and get to your seats, it easily could be into the second half. Noon games are just horrible.

Not my fault your 85 years old😎. My bigger point is the Yankees last World Series win was 2009. I teach 6th graders. Most were not even born. All of those World Series wins in the 20’s 30s 40s 50s etc etc mean nothing to them. That is ancient history to them. Not debating the fact that the Mets have not won. Still enjoy watching them. Perfect example. They won today and got very lucky with a call. Will I be”giddy”? Nope. Happy? Of course but it is a very long season
Which is exactly why I didn’t mention any World Series victories that didn’t occur until after I was born. And you’re more than 30 years off by the way there buddy ha ha Ha!

Food fights between Yankee and Met fans...love it...I no longer really follow either team but have friends that do abs their arguments are fun

I don’t really follow baseball but am fascinated by fandom and such things...based on thread numbers alone, is it safe to assume RU fans lean decidedly more to the Mets than the Yankees or Phillies? The annual season threads usually works out to a 4:1 met/Yankee post ratio.

...or are Met fans just chattier?!?
To answer the original question, the Mets thread would not have as much as they do if the Yankee trolls would just stay away and stop trying their damdest to get the Mets thread locked. They’re never around when the Mets win but as soon as they lose, twice as many posts about utter Bullcrap, just to do nothing but flex their muscles. Then they complain and play victim when they get called out or get blocked from said thread.

Other than that, the number of posts should be fairly even. Hope this helps.

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
Not my fault you are 85 years old😎. My bigger point is the Yankees last World Series win was 2009. I teach 6th graders. Most were not even born. All of those World Series wins in the 20’s 30s 40s 50s etc etc mean nothing to them. That is ancient history to them. Not debating the fact that the Mets have not won. Still enjoy watching them. Perfect example. They won today and got very lucky with a call. Will I be”giddy”? Nope. Happy? Of course but it is a very long season
Not for nothing but who cares what 6th graders remember

• Haha
Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
When you get off at Exit 9, take 18N to Rt 1 North cross the raritan and take a back way in through Highland Park.

The real solution is to come earlier and tailgate more :)

But I can't visualize how to get onto 1 from South Jersey without picking it up at 295. Is there a way to get from South Jersey to 1 near NB that doesn't involve picking 1 up at 295?

Reactions: retired711
ADVERTISEMENT