ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU Hits Alumni Milestone and The Most Amazing RU Statistic......

They said Rutgers alums are on 6 continents.. iirc.. it is 7 as 2 researchers spent time in Antartica this year.

With all those living alumni and with probably more than half of them living within 100 miles of campus, the athletic programs should be sold out regularly. I'm pretty sure no other Big Ten school can say that considering most of them are in the middle of nowhere. There's just so much potential there that hasn't been taken advantage of over the years.

I'm pretty sure no other Big Ten school can say that considering most of them are in the middle of nowhere.

Most likely no other B1G school can say that, but it's incorrect to say most of the B1G schools are in the middle of nowhere. I think only four are not located in large or major cities, within the broader metro area of same, or outside of a 100-mile radius from a major city. Iowa, Illinois, Penn St, Nebraska.

Reactions: 17Q66
Most likely no other B1G school can say that, but it's incorrect to say most of the B1G schools are in the middle of nowhere. I think only four are not located in large or major cities, within the broader metro area of same, or outside of a 100-mile radius from a major city. Iowa, Illinois, Penn St, Nebraska.

You're right, not all of them are in the middle of nowhere. In terms of population density though the only other Big Ten schools that are maybe comparable are Maryland and Northwestern.

No other school in the Big Ten has the percentage of enrollees of in-state kids that Rutgers does. All other Big Ten schiols accept way more out-of-staters then Rutgers and it's not even close. Rutgers is pretty much NJ through and through.

No other big ten school has 2 top 5 cities in terms of population within 100 miles of them. The vast majority of Rutgers grads work in the metro areas of NY and a lesser extent Philly. I don't think any other school has their alumni as concentrated as close to their campus as Rutgers.

More Rutgers alumni live within an hour drive of Rutgers than probably any other Big Ten school.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that each year, more people exit NJ than enter it. So at least some of those alums may be gone to other states. Still, I think sct1111 makes a good point. If only we could develop a program that at least one year challenged for a national title . . . But I detect no signs that the administration is interested in anything other than a "competitive" program that doesn't require a subsidy from the Board of Governors. Going to a minor bowl each year would raise attendance, as it did in the Schiano era, but it's not going to excite that latent base enough.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Keep in mind that each year, more people exit NJ than enter it. So at least some of those alums may be gone to other states. Still, I think sct1111 makes a good point. If only we could develop a program that at least one year challenged for a national title . . . But I detect no signs that the administration is interested in anything other than a "competitive" program that doesn't require a subsidy from the Board of Governors. Going to a minor bowl each year would raise attendance, as it did in the Schiano era, but it's not going to excite that latent base enough.
This is when I revert to my WIN (what you’re talking about above in the bold) vs. WIN vs. win discussion.

We have never done the first one and maybe just got a little close to the second one. But even then the results of that were measurable.

If we even just get to the WIN stage here and never the WIN one will we still get almost all the good that does come with the WIN part. Not many other schools can claim that.

That's because of births. NJ has more people migrate out than in but the births compensate and we have had slight population growth.
Point taken and certainly the growth rate has been slow. But as far as births vs migration, once you're here, doesn't matter how you enter!

Yes I ceded the point that the population growth is not due to people moving here vs moving away. Regarding your initial post, I will say that regardless of the exact numbers of folks coming and going, it of course stands to reason that some alums will move away. But I think we all agree that a uniquely large number alums live in close vicinity to the school, and that presents unique opportunities.

Yes I ceded the point that the population growth is not due to people moving here vs moving away. Regarding your initial post, I will say that regardless of the exact numbers of folks coming and going, it of course stands to reason that some alums will move away. But I think we all agree that a uniquely large number alums live in close vicinity to the school, and that presents unique opportunities.

i agree with you, but what exactly is the evidence for your last sentence?

Reactions: HeyHuey
i agree with you, but what exactly is the evidence for your last sentence?
I'm not sure where exactly we rank in living alumni in the B1G but we must be at or near the top given we have the 8th biggest group of any school. It seems clear that more Rutgers fans must live within a [name your mile radius] than any other conference school given the population density in NJ.

8th largest living alumni population... that’s a big deal !

Wish we had more collective pride amongst that contingent

To be fair this is a school that invited snookie for a speech. Not sure it all on the alumni.

To be fair this is a school that invited snookie for a speech. Not sure it all on the alumni.
A student group did that.

I don’t think Bob got on the intercom in Old Queens and said, “Helen! Get in here and bring your notepad. I got an idea!”

A student group did that.

I don’t think Bob got on the intercom in Old Queens and said, “Helen! Get in here and bring your notepad. I got an idea!”

I thought it was for commencement, no?

No. The Rutgers University Programming Association chose to bring her in and for that amount. RUPA is.... "a group of 30–40 undergraduate students with a passion for programming, marketing, and leadership focused on providing out-of-classroom experiences for all Rutgers students. More about them here:
http://rupa.rutgers.edu/about-us/

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/snookis_advice_to_rutgers_stud.html
But once the media got hold of the story now it is a FACT that Snookie was paid thousands and thousands of dollars for a commencement address. And, as seen above, even Rutgers fans BELIEVE it and spread it.

I'm not sure where exactly we rank in living alumni in the B1G but we must be at or near the top given we have the 8th biggest group of any school. It seems clear that more Rutgers fans must live within a [name your mile radius] than any other conference school given the population density in NJ.

RU trails Ohio State (6th), Michigan State (4th), Michigan (3rd), Indiana (2nd) and Penn State (1st).

RU trails Ohio State (6th), Michigan State (4th), Michigan (3rd), Indiana (2nd) and Penn State (1st).
See that's what's crazy, lol. Such massive state schools in this conference with decades of being massive. Rutgers' history as a state school of course only goes back to the 50s. Over the next few years I'd expect Rutgers to draw closer to those above in the living alumni stat, since the enrollment at Rutgers is now always among the largest.

No. The Rutgers University Programming Association chose to bring her in and for that amount. RUPA is.... "a group of 30–40 undergraduate students with a passion for programming, marketing, and leadership focused on providing out-of-classroom experiences for all Rutgers students. More about them here:
http://rupa.rutgers.edu/about-us/

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/snookis_advice_to_rutgers_stud.html

We the university supports the RUPA at least by allowing them on campus so I'll continue my disdain at the university via the transitive law.

See that's what's crazy, lol. Such massive state schools in this conference with decades of being massive. Rutgers' history as a state school of course only goes back to the 50s. Over the next few years I'd expect Rutgers to draw closer to those above in the living alumni stat, since the enrollment at Rutgers is now always among the largest.

For more context, here are the top 15, using November 2017 data:

15. University of Florida (SEC) - 415,000+
14. University of Illinois (B1G) - 425,000+
13. University of Wisconsin (B1G) - 435,412
12. Texas A&M (SEC) - 436,000+
11. New York University - 470,000
10. Purdue University (B1G) - 479,025
9. University of Texas (Big 12) - 482,000+
8. Rutgers University (B1G) - 486,000+
7. University of California, Berkeley (Pac 12) - 499,604
6. Ohio State University (B1G) - 500,000
5. University of California, Los Angeles (Pac 12) - 500,000+
4. Michigan State University (B1G) - 552,000
3. University of Michigan (B1G) - 575,000
2. Indiana University (B1G) - 650,000+
1. Penn State University (B1G) - 673,000

I guess people who go to Penn State live a long time. Must be that time in Happy Valley.

Reactions: 17Q66

In 1901, the Targum reported the total number of living and deceased Rutgers alumni was 2,969 since the school was chartered in 1766. The New Brunswick Daily Press of December 15, 1904 said Michigan had 15,000 living alumni, Harvard 14,000 and Yale 11,000.

The 1873 February Targum reported Rutgers had 1,117 total graduates since 1766. Eight months later the football team traveled to Yale, an opponent with an 1873 student body reported at 1,200 vs. Rutgers 184.

The Rutgers University library website reported that in 2006, Rutgers had 335,667 living alumni and 201,547 of them residing in New Jersey.

Reactions: SJScarlet
Now, I did not take math at Rutgers so maybe I am wrong, but the math in the story appears wrong to me. 320 living people over 100 out of 500,000 is not 2/3 of one percent. It is .064% (.00064 in decimal) which is 2/3 of one-tenth of one percent. Of course as many on here have said, I am getting senile so feel free to correct me.

I thought it was for commencement, no?
200.gif

Something makes me think these numbers are not just for the flagship campus??

Also had no idea NYU had that many alumni. Only top 15 school that is private.

Something makes me think these numbers are not just for the flagship campus??

Also had no idea NYU had that many alumni. Only top 15 school that is private.
I’ve assumed that too when it comes to our numbers.

Which I always found odd to include.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97

Here are some numbers that matter more:

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Donations-to-Colleges-Up-6-in/242441

Rank Institution Total raised
1 Harvard University $1.28 billion
2 Stanford University $1.13 billion
3 Cornell University $743.50 million
4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology $672.94 million
5 University of Southern California $668.33 million
6 Johns Hopkins University $636.91 million
7 University of Pennsylvania $626.49 million
8 Columbia University $603.08 million
9 Yale University $595.89 million
10 Duke University $581.05 million
11 New York University $567.12 million
12 University of Washington $553.89 million
13 University of California-Los Angeles $550.93 million
14 University of Chicago $483.47 million
15 University of Michigan $456.13 million
16 University of Notre Dame $451.43 million
17 University of California-San Francisco $422.17 million
18 University of California-Berkeley $404.59 million
19 Ohio State University $401.85 million
20 Indiana University $398.26 million

https://magazine.rutgers.edu/features/playing-the-percentages

F14_Giving-Charts.jpg

tenor.gif

There are explanations for the relative lack of alumni participation. Although most former students will say they got a first-rate education at Rutgers, they will also point out that the student experience wasn’t so great. For many students who graduated from one of the schools at Rutgers University–New Brunswick, for instance, it might have been dealing with the buses, or the chronic entanglement in administrative red tape, or the general sense of a lack of customer service. These negatives have been addressed. “As students graduate with a great education and a great experience, it will be easier for Rutgers to invite them to make gifts,” says Kessler, pointing out that the foundation and the Department of Alumni Relations have teamed up to begin a student philanthropy and engagement program to raise awareness early in students’ academic careers to help them understand the value of giving and its role in funding Rutgers.

Reactions: chrisru99
ADVERTISEMENT