ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU Hits Alumni Milestone and The Most Amazing RU Statistic......

Something makes me think these numbers are not just for the flagship campus??

Also had no idea NYU had that many alumni. Only top 15 school that is private.

Definitely not just flagship but all campuses of a given university (but not necessarily a "system", where that structure is utilized for overall governance that overarches separate, independently administered universities).

Also, all of these numbers include graduate school alumni so schools that have had traditionally large enrollments in masters and PhD/doctoral programs, medical, business, and law schools also add in to these alumni totals. Even as a private school NYU has had sizable grad-level enrollments for many years of its history. Harvard too, for example. Perhaps smart business decisions as schools can make a lot of money from higher tuition graduate programs.

NYU is by no means a small school even though it's private....it even had a high undergrad enrollment in the 20-25K range going back to the 90s IIRC. About as big as Rutgers-NB undergrad at that time. But my guess is that one of the primary reasons for its climb up this particular list is the more recent development about 3-4 years ago of its full acquisition of Polytechnic University (formerly Polytechnic Institute of NY) in Brooklyn, which is now known as NYU's Tandon School of Engineering. Polytechnic also churned out lots of grads over the years as it is one of the older institutions of higher education in the city, so that alumni pool is now entirely counted by NYU. I believe Polytechnic was founded as the 2nd oldest engineering school in the country, behind only RPI. By the way, university-wide NYU has an enrollment these days in the 50K range so they'll keep churning out alumni at a pretty decent clip.

But similarly, Rutgers' recent acquisition of most of UMDNJ's academic units brought in a sizable bump in the number of alumni from that school over its existence from the past 45 or so years, now counted by Rutgers.

I’ve assumed that too when it comes to our numbers.

Which I always found odd to include.

Not that odd. For these types of lists where it's total alumni, it's not uncommon to combine multiple campuses. To recognize the difference in reporting and appreciate that we're talking apples and oranges in some cases, you can consider a couple comparable scenarios from schools on the top 10 of this total living alumni list:

Universities (Type A with a flagship and 1 or more other campuses; Type B with a single campus, by def. a flagship)

Type A
Rutgers (NB, Newark, Camden)
Michigan (AA, Dearborn, Flint)
Penn State (Univ Park/State College, 20+ other satellite campuses statewide)
Ohio State (Columbus, 5-6 other regional campuses statewide)
Type B
Michigan State (single campus in East Lansing*)

(*Mich St. does technically have off-site teaching facilities, research centers, clinical sites, etc. in other areas of the state of Michigan but that's similar in nature to what Rutgers does in Atlantic City, Morristown, Jersey City et.al. In neither case are those other locations considered full-fledged regional or satellite campuses in the context we're discussing.)

University "systems" as I mentioned in above post (Schools under a system umbrella will generally be single campus locations and operate autonomously of other branches of the system. These individual universities may also have off-site locations, institutes, training centers, research facilities and the like -- just as above with Rutgers and Mich St -- and perhaps not all in the same city/town where the campus is located but most likely in more nearby areas rather than statewide).

University of California
- UC, Berkeley (on the list)
- UCLA (on the list)
- 7 others

The University of Texas System
- Univ of Texas at Austin (on the list)
- several others

If univ systems were to report systemwide alumni totals, it wouldn't be particularly meaningful to most folks and there would be 1 million-plus figures at the top of the list, well north of tPSU. Just reiterates the point that some are apples, some are oranges.

Last edited:
So what you're saying it's all fruit salad. LOL

Yeah basically. In trying to compare Rutgers generally with other flagship publics, I find the most similarly aligned and directly comparable to be the University of Michigan. They've obviously had the benefit of a collosal head start which has allowed them to develop a prestige institution-wide that's difficult to play catch up to. But it makes sense for it to be an aspirational peer for Rutgers.

Yeah basically. In trying to compare Rutgers generally with other flagship publics, I find the most similarly aligned and directly comparable to be the University of Michigan. They've obviously had the benefit of a collosal head start which has allowed them to develop a prestige institution-wide that's difficult to play catch up to. But it makes sense for it to be an aspirational peer for Rutgers.
Agree.

Just didn't know how everybody else was counting their "loyal sons" when these numbers are announced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT