ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Running from High Point to Cape May

As a runner, I applaud the effort. Ultra-marathoning coming to New Jersey? Who wudda' thunk it?

Separately, in grad school, friends of mine used to bike "The Longest Day" - which has the same start and end (High Point to Cape May) and would complete the ride in about 17 hours. I think it says something about New Jersey roads/traffic/etc. if this particular runner would be able to complete the same distance in just over twice that.

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
As a runner, I applaud the effort. Ultra-marathoning coming to New Jersey? Who wudda' thunk it?

Separately, in grad school, friends of mine used to bike "The Longest Day" - which has the same start and end (High Point to Cape May) and would complete the ride in about 17 hours. I think it says something about New Jersey roads/traffic/etc. if this particular runner would be able to complete the same distance in just over twice that.

Motorcycle or bicycle? Read it as the latter first, but then you mentioned traffic.

Also gotta applaud with you ...while being quite happy it's not me : )

Reactions: BeantownKnight
When my parents were in their 50s they rode their bikes around the state of NJ. Started at high point (I dropped them off), cycled down as close to delaware river as they could all the way to Cape May and then back up the coast. Took them considerably longer than 17 hours(I think they did it in like 5-6 days)

Reactions: goru1869

I highly doubt that this runner completes the run, let alone in 40 hrs. He has no experience to back up his lofty goals.

190+ miles by bike doesn't sound like fun. I ride a lot, over 4000 miles last year. My longest rides are about 65 miles. Many Philly to AC trips this past year. I could easily get to a 100 but zero desire to do it without a very good reason.
South of 195 traffic isn't an issue. North of there you really have to plan.
Did you take time to plan the route out? How many rest stops? Could you even sit down after it was over? 😂

I could do it in 4 hours easy.

First NJSP Barracks assignment was in Hainesville, which Station area included that State Park.

After he does this,he can try to go LA to NYC in 64 days as done by Bruce Tulloh in 1969.

Most studies of endurance activities have found that the optimal length of time in any day should be limited to 2-2.5 hours.After that,you begin tearing down.I just finished a 4 mile walk in an hour,planning to go no higher than 10 miles,then gradually increasing the speed.After all,I'm going on 71,currently weighing in at 181 at 5' 9",so that's not too bad.

Motorcycle or bicycle? Read it as the latter first, but then you mentioned traffic.

Also gotta applaud with you ...while being quite happy it's not me : )

fsg2 / whitebus:
"The Longest Day" was quite popular in the early / mid 90's NJ road bike (bicycle) community. Two of my friends were pretty decent riders, while the third was the weekend warrior type. They rode it (again, bicycle) for a few years and the event itself enjoyed quite a decent turn-out. I think I remember them telling me that something around 50% of the riders would drop out about half to three-quarters of the way through. So, there was still a good showing by the time they reached Cape May. One of their wives followed in minivan / met up a specific locations with supplies and to help out changing gear, etc. You couldn't do it successfully/comfortably without a support team.

NOTE: It's still a thing. A quick search yielded some news that The Longest Day just celebrated its 40th anniversary. I found this: https://www.facebook.com/TheLongestDay2020/. I doubt the event was run last year (2020). Also, the Central Jersey Bike Club web page seems to have tons of info regarding planning, route maps, and getting in shape: https://cjbc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=257329&module_id=261799.

These days, I live around the corner from a friend who is a pretty serious rider and who completes the "Pan-Mass Challenge" (same thing but here in Massachusetts, from the Berkshires to Cape Cod). It covers a few more miles but it's actually run over the course of a weekend. It's a very popular fundraising event for childhood cancer research. You can ride smaller stretches / one day of the event if you choose but, obviously, you wouldn't be raising as much.

After he does this,he can try to go LA to NYC in 64 days as done by Bruce Tulloh in 1969.

Most studies of endurance activities have found that the optimal length of time in any day should be limited to 2-2.5 hours.After that,you begin tearing down.I just finished a 4 mile walk in an hour,planning to go no higher than 10 miles,then gradually increasing the speed.After all,I'm going on 71,currently weighing in at 181 at 5' 9",so that's not too bad.
I think cycling endurance is well beyond 2.5 hours. Easily twice that as its low impact on muscles and joints.
I stopped jogging 15 years ago. To much pain and I never really enjoyed it all that much. One exception was the Spring Lake 5, great way to start the summer!

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I think cycling endurance is well beyond 2.5 hours. Easily twice that as its low impact on muscles and joints.
I stopped jogging 15 years ago. To much pain and I never really enjoyed it all that much. One exception was the Spring Lake 5, great way to start the summer!

Gotta be. You have bikers, runners, etc doing single- and multi-day trips in the hundreds and thousands of miles. 2 to 2.5 hours sounds like a max for regular exercise, not endurance sport.

Him only doing 90 miles before isn't too big of a deal.

Really hard to plan and set up a "training run" of 100+ miles unless you are signing up for an actual race - of which there aren't alot around.
Particularly in 2020 with most large ultra being cancelled.

Going North to South is a good idea.
I would imagine the elevation profile is basically all downhill.

The world record for a 200 mile run is 39:09 so my guess is he has no chance

Fun fact from the article. The track coach at SBHS mentioned is Will Rivera. Not only a good coach who has had great success but he is an RU alum and RU track alum. He also coached my daughter her freshman year before we moved to OC

Cole Crosby was always such a great athlete to coach. He was a team captain that led by example,” said Wilfredo Rivera, who remains at the high school.

Him only doing 90 miles before isn't too big of a deal.

Really hard to plan and set up a "training run" of 100+ miles unless you are signing up for an actual race - of which there aren't alot around.
Particularly in 2020 with most large ultra being cancelled.

Going North to South is a good idea.
I would imagine the elevation profile is basically all downhill.
Only doing 90 miles and than going for 194 miles is a huge deal.

Reactions: NickRU714
Only doing 90 miles and than going for 194 miles is a huge deal.

Haha. True.
I'm trying to be more positive.

Although it does bug me that he is making such a big deal about trying to set an FKT.

Get the FKT first then make a story out of it.

Back when I was running/jogging, I was late for the Spring Lake 5 and had to park in Sea Girt by The Parker House. While walking across the bridge to SL, I saw the fire truck up the way, which was the tail end of the entire race. I had to sprint to catch up just to the back end with the old people walking with canes and crutches. Barely finished, exhausted.

Back when I was running/jogging, I was late for the Spring Lake 5 and had to park in Sea Girt by The Parker House. While walking across the bridge to SL, I saw the fire truck up the way, which was the tail end of the entire race. I had to sprint to catch up just to the back end with the old people walking with canes and crutches. Barely finished, exhausted.
Did you steal a cane to walk back to your car ?

Reactions: BigWill
Back in those days you had to be able to run 5 miles in 35 minutes, in step, in platoon formation, in paratrooper jump boots to be able to graduate from the NJSP.

So 5 miles wasn't the problem, the sprint all the way from the bridge to around the flag pole in Spring Lake was the issue, and STILL being LAST in the race. Old SL ladies and grandmoms squirting you down with their lawn hoses and cheering 'Keep it up, you can catch some of them."

So by the end of the Academy, since you could run well and far, it was like most things you do well....FUN.....the only time I can say that in my lifetime.

So after the race it was over to The Parker House for several adult beverages.
Waiting for Mary Anne to find me...

Back in those days you had to be able to run 5 miles in 35 minutes, in step, in platoon formation, in paratrooper jump boots to be able to graduate from the NJSP.

So 5 miles wasn't the problem, the sprint all the way from the bridge to around the flag pole in Spring Lake was the issue, and STILL being LAST in the race. Old SL ladies and grandmoms squirting you down with their lawn hoses and cheering 'Keep it up, you can catch some of them."

So by the end of the Academy, since you could run well and far, it was like most things you do well....FUN.....the only time I can say that in my lifetime.

So after the race it was over to The Parker House for several adult beverages.
Waiting for Mary Anne to find me...
Ahh, those were they days. Now my legs don't know what the word run means.

Reactions: RUBOB72 and BigWill
That was the longest f-ing finish stretch ever 😂
You would turn on the ocean block and could see the finish line and it looked so close. After another 5 minutes of running it seemed like you gained nothing.

Great Summer in Tupper Lake, NY, before my Junior year at Cuse. (before I met Mary Anne).

Worked a job for a month and then took off. Lived across the street from the 17 fairway. Walked on the course, hit onto 17 , played 18 which finished my warm up and then walked 18. Walked down the mountain for lunch and a nap.

Then ran up the mountain to the ski area parking lot 2 1/2 miles. Took a drink out of a spring that came right out of the mountain and then ran back the 2 1/2 miles.

Came back to Cuse and ran 5 minute 20 sec mile at 237.

Then years later I was in training for a Heavyweight Triathlon. Running on the Belmar boardwalk in the winter in the rain and I was at around mile 8 for that run. Stopped and said "Bill, what are you doing ?". Crossed over the street and went into Reggie's in Belmar with the $ 10 dollar bill in my sneakers I had a few beers.

Called Mary Anne to come get me.

Do you see a similar refrain of Mary Anne coming to my rescue. (not the old bar The Rescue bar in Belmar).

• Haha
Reactions: borochop
If he’s still running, he’s about 30 hours in. I wish him luck.
Only positive is the wind is mostly at his back. The down side is its been below freezing both nights. Mostly downhill, 2800 elevation gained (uphill) 4700 elevation lost.

There was a guy I used to see every day on the Boardwalks in Spring Lake, Belmar, Sea Girt, Avon, BB.

He ran in all black with one of those water bladders on his back. He stopped one day and I asked him how far he was running . "Today is a short day, only 10 miles, I usually do around 20 miles a day."

There was a guy I used to see every day on the Boardwalks in Spring Lake, Belmar, Sea Girt, Avon, BB.

He ran in all black with one of those water bladders on his back. He stopped one day and I asked him how far he was running . "Today is a short day, only 10 miles, I usually do around 20 miles a day."

I have a neighbor used to run from Manahawkin lagoons over the 72 bridge to the Barnegat Light and back every week for years.

I think hes had both knees and a hip replaced already.

I've taken his advice to heart, I'm in my early 40s and Ive become a fast walker on the treadmill now, my running days are behind me

Reactions: BigWill
If you can find a pool with a deep end, put on a life buoy/vest that keeps just your head above water and run/jog without touching the bottom.

You can get a decent aerobic workout, they also sell fins/water resistant that you attach to your wrists/ankles to increase the effort to make the running motion under water.

Friend had a Wife that was a big runner for 5 milers around NJ. She weighed about 100 lbs., he was 180 with a bad knee. He put a tent on their pool, heated it for winter and jogged in the deep end with no contact. He could go out with her on the 5 milers without the pain of the constant runs on terra firma.

Reactions: fsg2 and newell138
On behalf of the Nine Million, bravo !!! Would have been cool if the Rutgers Cross-Country team could have run portions with him to get some publicity for the State’s running program.

Reactions: goru1869
Ran the SL5 many many times. Have a box of thier beer glasses that I have held onto but refuse to give up even though they are burrows I the basement! It was a great way to start the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT