ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Football

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
Been noodling over this for a while.

If we fail to meet expectations this year - by which, I mean we fail to hit the "over" on number of wins for the season - I think we should hire Les Miles.

He's got a B1G background, he had a history of winning at LSU. He's a recognizable name, so he would recruit well. And he's currently unemployed.

It will costs money, for certain. But I feel confident that, with the proper rationalization, Pat Hobbs could get the money from the big donors. Hell, I'd even kick up some extra coin for it.

And it would, once and for all (I think), settle the question of "what's our upper limit" in football.

Who’ paying the 9 million remaining on Ash’s contract, not to mention whatever the assistants would be owed?

What kinda money you think he'd want?

I figure 4 mil a year for him, maybe another 4 to 5 mil for his staff.

His LSU buyout was just north of $9 million over 6 years and probably has a termination clause if he's hired by another team. This is his 3rd year on the bench, so he'd be leaving $4.5 mil on the table.

Who’ paying the 9 million remaining on Ash’s contract, not to mention whatever the assistants would be owed?

Assistants generally don't have buyouts. All of the lower-level assistants are year-to-year and the coordinators wouldn't cost us that much.

As for Ash's buyout, that would have to be negotiated. Per my last post, it's not mandatory that his buyout be every cent remaining on his contract - those numbers are often knocked down somewhat. Additionally, most buyouts have termination clauses in the event of re-hire.

I would just add that if we're really serious about competing we don't let Ash's buyout dissuade us from making a move.

It's not completely outside the realm of possibility, depending on what happens tomorrow, that we don't win another game this year. We're a 3 point dog to Kansas and every team left on the schedule is better than they are - including Buffalo.

Food for thought.

Assistants generally don't have buyouts. All of the lower-level assistants are year-to-year and the coordinators wouldn't cost us that much.

As for Ash's buyout, that would have to be negotiated. Per my last post, it's not mandatory that his buyout be every cent remaining on his contract - those numbers are often knocked down somewhat. Additionally, most buyouts have termination clauses in the event of re-hire.
Ash made a statement fairly recently that being a head coach means that you don't get to do much coaching. Maybe that is why Greg is content being a coordinator at tOSU. With many coordinators making north of $1M or $1.5 M at top destinations, that's not a bad place to go after a HC gig.

If we fail to meet expectations this year - by which, I mean we fail to hit the "over" on number of wins for the season - I think we should hire Les Miles.[winking][winking][winking]

He's got a B1G background, he had a history of winning at LSU. He's a recognizable name, so he would recruit well. And he's currently unemployed.

It will costs money, for certain. But I feel confident that, with the proper rationalization, Pat Hobbs could get the money from the big donors. Hell, I'd even kick up some extra coin for it.

And it would, once and for all (I think), settle the question of "what's our upper limit" in football.
In a second!! Bring him in.
Although he might require to replace the turf with real grass [winking] Dude gets hungry in big games.
Does a great job on Fox. Great coach.

He's nuttier than a squirrel turd, but Lane Kiffen is 43 and is only getting paid $1.4 Million at FAU.
gty_504594412_78800470.jpg

47-25 lifetime record as college HC
Had FAU at 11-3 last year after Charlie Partridge had it at 9-27 for 3 years.

Reactions: mdh2003

If we fail to meet expectations this year - by which, I mean we fail to hit the "over" on number of wins for the season - I think we should hire Les Miles.

Can we please let the season play out ? Geez.

You don't want to participate in the discussion, then don't. Nobody has a gun to your head.

Not that it would be a terrible idea...
Not cool to post that kind of stuff. Grow up and watch the team play and root for our boys on the field and their coaches. We played two games and you are throwing this garbage out . You don’t want replies ? Don’t post .

Not cool to post that kind of stuff. Grow up and watch the team play and root for our boys on the field and their coaches. We played two games and you are throwing this garbage out . You don’t want replies ? Don’t post .

I've been a season ticket holder for 31 years and probably donate more than you make.

So you can pretty much go f*ck yourself, as always.

Nice , a grumpy old man with no class. Move on .

Yeah, the chances of me ever doing anything your cranky dumb ass comes up with are below zero.

It's back to the Ignore list with you. Go get your GED.

Back to Lane Kiffen
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...-lane-kiffin-coaches-recruiting-wives-divorce
Lane Kiffin says he judges coaches’ recruiting by their wives, and that’s a bit ironic

He’s got a beautiful wife,” Kiffin said of hiring his new offensive coordinator, 24-year-old Charlie Weis Jr. “How’d Charlie get her? I look at assistant coaches’ wives. It tells me if they are good recruiters or not.”

So I Googled Charlie Weis' Jr. Wife.

Found this.
mh2vnsZr_400x400.jpg

And this?
charlie-weis-bon-jovi.jpg

Seriously. This story is writing itself. We'd get Lane Kiffen, a never-ending newsreel, Charlie Weis Jr., his hot wife and his Dad.

I'm calling Hobbs . . . .

Instead,why not give Ash the funding and facilities that Miles would demand?

And yes, the wouldn't be an obsession about a credit card scam, but that's because there would likely much juicier scandals to cover obsessively.

And yes, the wouldn't be an obsession about a credit card scam, but that's because there would likely much juicier scandals to cover obsessively.
Les can recruit.

Ash is getting plenty of funding and the facilities are very good and improving.

Maybe he turns it around. It would be great if he does.

But we have a serious credibility deficit and the most effective way to overcome that is with a Big Name. Shit or get off the pot, so to speak.

Grandy jury investigations of the coach keeps the reporters off the players. Just sayin.

So, in this week's series of other coaches RU fans gaze lovingly at, Steve Addazio came up, fresh off his win over Wake Forest. Someone even said he is a good recruiter:
Recruiting rankings BC
2013- 87
2014- 42
2015-46 (no 4*)
2016-83 (RU 78)
2017-66 (RU-43)
2018-71 (RU-58)
If Ash recruited this well in years 5 and 6, he would be run out of town. And people want to do that now.

Grandy jury investigations of the coach keeps the reporters off the players. Just sayin.

So, in this week's series of other coaches RU fans gaze lovingly at, Steve Addazio came up, fresh off his win over Wake Forest. Someone even said he is a good recruiter:
Recruiting rankings BC
2013- 87
2014- 42
2015-46 (no 4*)
2016-83 (RU 78)
2017-66 (RU-43)
2018-71 (RU-58)
If Ash recruited this well in years 5 and 6, he would be run out of town. And people want to do that now.

I was never an Addazio fan. I want a guy who's a proven commodity. Addazio is another flash in the pan. He's some vague shade of HCRE. And we see how well that's gone.

Willy Taggart is another guy in that category. 'Noles fans are about ready to put him on a raft and push him out into the Gulf.

I'd sign up.

But is Miles likely to have skeletons in his closet for the ghouls at NJ.com to feast on for months/years, the minute he's signed? Don't know much about his background, but wondering if it's possible not to after coaching at NC level in the SEC.

I'd sign up.

But is Miles likely to have skeletons in his closet for the ghouls at NJ.com to feast on for months/years, the minute he's signed? Don't know much about his background, but wondering if it's possible not to after coaching at NC level in the SEC.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but our coaching pedigree is 2 degrees of Jerry Sandusky.

That doesn't seem to stop the "Gary Come Home, All is Forgiven" crowd.

Sometimes I question the intelligence of this board...

So you want to hire a guy who is going to be 65 this year who has zero recruiting ties to the northeast and has had allegations of misconduct in his previous stop...

It’s one thing to recruit at and win at LSU, I don’t see how anyone can think that recruits will connect with and want to play for the Mad Hatter...

RU needs a younger guy with recruiting stain that can connect with kids and can bring in really good assistant coaches to develop players (something Ash has not done)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT