ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Frats

SF88

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2001
I think this fall will be the first time, in basically 100 years, that there will not be a fraternity on Union Street. In my day, 22 fraternities had houses on the College Ave campus. I believe there are 8 frats with lettered houses now, after the purge last year. Several unofficial houses are scattered off campus, however, those locations typically change frequently.

Personally, as an ex frat guy, it was a fantastic experience. It had value in so many ways. Still today, 30 years later, I have many fraternity friends. We still get together at each others homes, golf outings, McSorleys meet-ups, RU games, vacations etc. Happy to say my daughter is a Rutgers sorority girl and hope the system will be there for my son.

I think this fall will be the first time, in basically 100 years, that there will not be a fraternity on Union Street. In my day, 22 fraternities had houses on the College Ave campus. I believe there are 8 frats with lettered houses now, after the purge last year. Several unofficial houses are scattered off campus, however, those locations typically change frequently.

Personally, as an ex frat guy, it was a fantastic experience. It had value in so many ways. Still today, 30 years later, I have many fraternity friends. We still get together at each others homes, golf outings, McSorleys meet-ups, RU games, vacations etc. Happy to say my daughter is a Rutgers sorority girl and hope the system will be there for my son.
That's a nice frat story. I visited two frats when I was at RU about the same time as you, and frankly, I could not understand why someone would want to join and live in a frat house. But the big thing for me is I did not and still do not drink, so that cut out a huge part of the attraction. Many frats do a lot of great public service work, which is to be commended.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Having been in a fraternity was one of the many enduring happy features of my four years on the Banks. Many, many great memories. Guys from the late 50's and early 60's remain in touch. We also have an annual pre-football game tailgate in the Scarlet Lot.

Our house was at 4 Mine Street. It is now a sorority!

Why are you guys talking about your fraternity experience in the past tense?

We are super active as alums. There is no distinction between grads and ugrads.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUin2WIN
That's a nice frat story. I visited two frats when I was at RU about the same time as you, and frankly, I could not understand why someone would want to join and live in a frat house. But the big thing for me is I did not and still do not drink, so that cut out a huge part of the attraction. Many frats do a lot of great public service work, which is to be commended.
You’re in multiple ones (just like the one I’m in - the main one) now.

It’s the same thing. What you like about the one(s) your in now is very similar to what @SF88 is talking about. A brotherhood. Yes the drink was a big part of it back then but that is the case for many college age males.

Last edited:
My fraternity Chi Psi is probably one of 2 or 3 that hasn’t changed over in the last 10 years.

the frat scene is dead at RU.

Rutgers didn’t want them anymore and have been slowly kicking them off campus for minor offenses despite a lot of the charitable work the fraternities do.

It’s a shame but it’s the world we live in now.
This is simply a false statement.

I was an undergrad on campus 1971-75. Union St during Princeton week was TREMENDOUS ! Nice (mostly, lol) frat house on both side of Union St. Giant Frat parties every night, some how, the Douglas Girls , always found their way over. Bands, DJs, dances, mixers and Hysterical anti Princeton banner hanging from Frat windows. Rushing, etc. Princeton week is something that a lot of Rutgers College students missed out on.
I was at Phi Sigma Kappa (35 Union St) only 1 year, but I have some great memories. We also had a Rugby Capt in our house, and the Rugby parties in our basement were insane.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Barchi had a hand in that. Guy needed to leave here yesterday.
The push started as far back when Lawrence was here.

And Georgetown used to have real a Greek life scene when he was an undergrad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
It’s a shame , fraternities were at RU prior to the civil war, and have been systematically eradicated by the administration since 1997 or so.

Zeta is giving it another go this year FYI. One last shot at running 18 college avenue as a fraternity The city, and ru administration have tried to make them sell that house for the last five years, rejecting historical status for a tax break, code violations when they turned it in to a rental etc. I get it it’s across from winants hall and who wants kids streaking in front of the administration and teeing off gold balls from the roof in to old queens. But lighten up francis

This is simply a false statement.
No, it’s not, and I won’t ever forgive the school for it. They handcuffed us in every way they could think of. Dean Arnholdt was hired for the purpose of suffocating the system. She’s as unethical as a politician. And politicians are the lowest forms of life.

I am currently at lake George with five fraternity brothers and wives, a weekend get away. We graduated in 1973 And are still close friends after all these years, and the wives get along great also. I met my wife at one of our fraternity parties when I was in
My second year

I guess you can say the fraternity life worked for me and am grateful for that

Grateful for that and my RU education

stick a fork in frat life at RU. Loved being in a fraternity at RU. Because of lawsuits and other issues, fraternities will die a quick death. Such a shame.

I am currently at lake George with five fraternity brothers and wives, a weekend get away. We graduated in 1973 And are still close friends after all these years, and the wives get along great also. I met my wife at one of our fraternity parties when I was in
My second year

I guess you can say the fraternity life worked for me and am grateful for that

Grateful for that and my RU education

Wow, that’s a great story Bob.

I wasn’t in a fraternity, however, the fraternity houses provided a fun social outlet to the campus that was uniquely college. I have found memories dancing with my floor mates til 2 in the AM at a number of frat houses.

Wow, that’s a great story Bob.

I wasn’t in a fraternity, however, the fraternity houses provided a fun social outlet to the campus that was uniquely college. I have found memories dancing with my floor mates til 2 in the AM at a number of frat houses.

The fraternities only have themselves to blame.

I have no dog in this fight but once again you come off looking like a massive fool on this board.

Greek houses are a major part of the school having a college feel. How you can be a professor and not get that is mind boggling.
Frankly I’m surprised it took so long in the thread for his first response.

Thought his appearance would have been much sooner.

I have no dog in this fight but once again you come off looking like a massive fool on this board.

Greek houses are a major part of the school having a college feel. How you can be a professor and not get that is mind boggling.
He fits the stereotype of the professor with zero knowledge of the real world to a T. He's like the Econ professor in Back to School where Rodney Dangerfield schools him on running a business in his first class.

Why are you guys talking about your fraternity experience in the past tense?

Im a phi tau at Rutgers ('07) and we are super active as alums. There is no distinction between grads and ugrads.
Wait until you are married with kids ;)

Reactions: Randal7
Lost my house in the fraternity purge this year. And the university dragged its good name through the papers to boot. A million dollars raised for charity in the last 6 years meant nothing when the university needs land.

With all of its faults, fraternity life offered many positive attributes. As an example, especially through the efforts of one brother, there have been numerous times when, as we age, a group has gotten together to cheer up those who are ill. I'm not sure if that camaraderie would exist so easily among independents as the years after RU go by.

I had no intention of joining a fraternity, and I still understand how those outside them can perceive them in a negative light

All I can say is that for many, it was a positive and possibly life changing decision to join

You can see that from several of the responses here.

The part of going to my fraternity brothers children’s wedding, having those children still call me uncle Bob, is as true for me as it was for the poster who brought that up

Maybe it is not for everyone, but I would do it again in a nano second .

It is not a matter of thinking it is cool

Edit. As I sit here one of my frat brothers is suggesting we go on a group cruise next fall, which will mark 50 years since we pledged. Might just happen

Last edited:
Lost my house in the fraternity purge this year. And the university dragged its good name through the papers to boot. A million dollars raised for charity in the last 6 years meant nothing when the university needs land.

What fraternity were you in?

ADVERTISEMENT