ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Rutgers MBA

BK_TO_THE

Redshirt
Jan 11, 2010
I know it's probably not the best time for this discussion with today being the first day of training camp but.....

My career has stalled in my late twenties and I'm exploring the option of pursuing an MBA. I recently took the GMAT and scored a 680 which puts me on the low-end of the range for acceptance into Stern. Since I need to stay local for family reasons, Rutgers seems to be my best (most realistic) option. I've heard/read a bit about an MBA being a waste if the school is not top-20, but for me, I think the alternative of not getting an advanced degree would be worse.

Anyway, I'm hoping people on here can chime in with their thoughts on matter. How strong is Rutgers MBA in terms of job placement? Is it worth going to grad school if it's not a "top" program? etc...

Also, if anyone has any personal experience with the Rutgers Professional Accounting MBA program I'd love to hear more about it...

I know it's probably not the best time for this discussion with today being the first day of training camp but.....

My career has stalled in my late twenties and I'm exploring the option of pursuing an MBA. I recently took the GMAT and scored a 680 which puts me on the low-end of the range for acceptance into Stern. Since I need to stay local for family reasons, Rutgers seems to be my best (most realistic) option. I've heard/read a bit about an MBA being a waste if the school is not top-20, but for me, I think the alternative of not getting an advanced degree would be worse.

Anyway, I'm hoping people on here can chime in with their thoughts on matter. How strong is Rutgers MBA in terms of job placement? Is it worth going to grad school if it's not a "top" program? etc...

Here ya go:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/rutgers-ranked-no-3-in-the-u-s-for-mba-employment.85626

I would not spend money on an MBA. You can learn that stuff on your own online. I have taken few courses such as marketing, accounting and finance. If I need to know more, I will take additional courses on as needed basis.

Finished mine almost a year ago concentration in finance and marketing. Yes you can learn all the material online or in a book. but it helps to have the letters MBA after your name and i did get access to positions that I don't believe I would have gotten before it. Especially if your current employer will help support the $$ to get it, it's a no brainer.

MBA = Networking. It also helps if you're trying to change careers. Have you thought about taking the GMAT again?

Important question, what industry are you in or wanting to go it? I'm in pharma/biotech and the RU MBA was an amazing investment. It is very well respected and prepared me well for success. I completed my MBA 14 years ago (wow, time flies), but it definitely opened doors and helped me transition from pharma R&D to pharma commercial/marketing.

I would not spend money on an MBA. You can learn that stuff on your own online. I have taken few courses such as marketing, accounting and finance. If I need to know more, I will take additional courses on as needed basis.

Ridiculous statement that you wouldn't have made if you actually received an MBA.

My Private school MBA provided a 50% ROI in year 1. Needless to say, it's paid for itself many times over. If you went to Rutgers for undergrad, I'd highly recommend going to NYU for grad school. For one thing you'll learn how a real Career Services Dept is supposed to function. There is a lot of time and effort spent getting appropriate jobs and internships for students and graduates. Next customer service is much better at private schools. Finally, you get a different perspective at a private school.

On the other hand, if you couldn't get into Stern, get the Rutgers MBA, as it will pay dividends for the rest of your life. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikefla and thegock
"I would not spend money on an MBA. You can learn that stuff on your own online. I have taken few courses such as marketing, accounting and finance. If I need to know more, I will take additional courses on as needed basis."

With all do respect this is a load of c***

I've heard/read a bit about an MBA being a waste if the school is not top-20, but for me, I think the alternative of not getting an advanced degree would be worse.

You should not spend big $$ on an MBA unless it is Harvard, stern, mit, etc... However if RU is cheap for in state, definitely go, and if you can go full time to get the most out of it. You learn a lot more than just accunting, etc.

Not 100 percent applicable to this conversation, but I talked to a friend the other day who works at Goldman Sachs. He is pretty high up, as far as I can tell. Anyway, he says that they have been hiring a ton of Rutgers guys in recent years.

I was asking him which colleges my son should apply to if he wants to work on Wall Street, and he said that, if he didn't get into a TOP school, his next recommendation would be Rutgers based on who Goldman Sachs has been hiring.

Though most (unfortunately learning from bad experiences is part of improving Rutgers and the future experiences of students-today there were several threads on this alone) have read and not so happy with me lamenting-really based on my undergrad experience-I have yet to beneft from my 1998 Rutgers MBA-and it cost me a ton.

That said let me I first want to offer a few caveats-and a John Otterstadt analogy.

1)****First-unless you have a few years of experience under your belt and qute possibly nowadays a good track record of success ones resume, the cost-benefit will likely not be worth it. John likes to participate in the "tough mudder"-a m*ther of an obstacle course designed to push one to the limits. I would think if the Russians attack those who have tough mudder training will be the ones who survive-and thrive. Well job experience and related success ARE that obstacle course you must go through to have a successful career.

Else the MBA-or any advanced degree-could well be useless. I have met plenty of people with MBAs and advanced degrees in jobs such as real estate sales/apprasers, and financial servces who didn;'t even need undergrad degrees for what they do.

2) In general go (top-hopefully) grad school to both improve yourself, to learn and because you enjoy learning. Any advanced degree may not increase your salary-or it may take time.
Back in 1986-1988 I attended The UNC School of Public Health-over time considered the top program of its kind but then badly needing an overhall and improved career services. It was a bad program ironically in partv because the program received so much research dollars that the profs ddn't often prepare, the curriculum was too publc health specific and catered/seemed to help those who were already in the field (the undergrads, both in and out of some of pur classes, received a better education because the profs tended to use texts vs very specific notes. One of my Profs-a well known runty little competitive guy (Michigan Grad) who incessantly complained that someone was usimg "his" locker at the schoold gym used to seriously joke that his own family didn't understand what he taught! Neither did I. At UNC a few experienced, connected, and resumed individuals from schools such as Dook , did well. Most of the undergrads (likely better students as admissions were tougher).were goimg on to grad school-other majors and professional school and better overall reputed schools. ***However for many such as nurses the tight market for such meant that Publlic Health grads the were nurses went back to there former jobs as the former jobs would pay more than a purely specific Public Health job. Inexperiemced undergrads bascally ate their degrees and moved on, Heard one fellow grad complain on radio as I was temping with my degree for $10-$12 n hour or so (better than many current jobs). Just saw another of my then inexperienced, not so nice female classmates on NBCs "Hoda and Kathy Lee"-a two part lose weight segment.. She is a real estate agent in PA.

3)Consider specialties other than a pure MBA. Perhapsa an entrepreneurship program.

Unfortunately it was based in Newark (a big problem with the MBA program then and now?) but I regret not goimng for my CPA. Ive known several hot, average to above average smarts hot girls who sat and earned their CPAs by age 25 maybe 23 (I thnk you can sit for NY atv age 23) and seem to have kick butt careers. One youmg "lady" I had the hots for at my old gym was and still seems to be a social mess (addicted to muscleheads, supposedly sexually assaulted HS, roofied at original college, slashed her wrists before being pulled from sc hool) landedback at RVCC, sant and earned her CPA through RVCC and professionally is doing incredibly it seems (recedntly named one of 10 top young accountants in NJ, great job at a NB accounting firm, teaches at RVCC). It helps (as we've discussed on the boards re pharma reps) she's hot.

4) Back '98 the one and only person I know who got a wall street job offer (last I heard considered a top transportaton analyst-have seen on CNBC) told me that: (this was even before the collapse) Wallt Sreet jobs are extremely tough and a top 20 school makes ALL the diference. Said Rutgers isn't one of those schools (he used many contacts, was a good looking guy and had no trouble "kssimg up". (Syracuse undergrad). Said if you aren't on and succeeding on Wall Street by age 27, you aren't gonna make it on Wall Street (27 is considered old-from my own current experience my best advice is to keep working at any job and don't wind uo lomng term unemployed because then landing a good job is almost impossible. I picture todays job market as those succeeding because they were employed and working wth experience before the mid-2000s latest-and those unable to get work/unemployed long term. Recruiters also stlll hire recent grads of course.

5) Alumni graduation stats and "accredation" (for the most part-at least with nonprofessional schools)-are bogus. School cook their graduation rates and salary stats. Ive grsduated from three programs/degrees (plus real estate school and SORA training),been out of work long term yet NOBODY has ever called me or surveyed me for this purpose.

Also when applying to grad schools look at a school's undergrad reputation vs "accredation". I sjhyed away from Dooks related grad program because of the degree title, time (my one prof editing my essays IS an editior and despite positive comments he stll made upteen edits) and money (my Dad who liked Dean Smith saw Chapel Hill and the campus, knewc Dooks tuiton-and I had to thereafter beg him to stop at Dook for a t-shirt).

During our program both undergrads and a Dook faculty member or two said UNC was the better program (kimd of analogous to Terry Shea being voted BE coach of the year at 6-5-thus not losing his job because the other schools were pretty much beating up on Shea's teams). However come interview time Dook had a published alumni directory to begin with, was well networked and well, IS DOOK
I had one employer wrtte me amnd say they only interview students from specific schools (Dook was one).

6) Internships and placement/alumni connections are often the end-all. ***Do whatever you can to have several internships during school even if it means taking time off. There are diiferences between bad and good internships. Network NOW as stats show that those who have GOOD internships during school dol better than those who don't.

Some top schools suchas Dook se t me specific alumni directories FOR THAT PROGRAM.

***Somethimg thatv tends to fly under the radar are SCHOOLS THAT REQURE AN INTERNSHIP-AND PLACE YOU-AS PART OF THE CURRICULUM. Looking back a great idea. You get experiemce, networking, pick up job skills and get to test the field/position.
***Two schools that I believe thatv are set up this way are Drexel and Northeastern.

6A) Having a top, organized carer services department is essdential. Recruiters are fickle-For many jobs its a seller's market so they don't have to worry. In my experience back in 1998 the Rutgers MBA program lacked because technically the program was based out of Newark-and career services was located there. Both students such as myself and recruiters didn't want to go to Newark to recruit-so they didn't.. MBAs werent allowed to interview on campus with gthe undergrads on of Busch because MBAs didn't pay into thhe underegrad.
system. after one successful interview and offer I was told I no longer interview on Busch.
Also with MBA recruiting I saw MINIMAL entry level type jobs if that.

Last edited:
What are your career goals and in what industries?

Answer that and I'll respond back with the relative strengths weaknesses of the program.

As for John's comment re: Goldman hiring there are two important considerations.

1. They are undergrads

2. Goldman's current CFO is a RU guy and has made hiring at RU a priority--for undergrads lol

I'm comfortable saying that no MBA in recent history has been hired at Goldman.

Not 100 percent applicable to this conversation, but I talked to a friend the other day who works at Goldman Sachs. He is pretty high up, as far as I can tell. Anyway, he says that they have been hiring a ton of Rutgers guys in recent years.

I was asking him which colleges my son should apply to if he wants to work on Wall Street, and he said that, if he didn't get into a TOP school, his next recommendation would be Rutgers based on who Goldman Sachs has been hiring.

Was that grad or undergrad?

My understanding is that RU is not on the list for MBA hiring there. They only recruit and hire from a limited number of schools for MBAs

It is similar at most of the other i banks

Was that grad or undergrad?

My understanding is that RU is not on the list for MBA hiring there. They only recruit and hire from a limited number of schools for MBAs

It is similar at most of the other i banks

It's undergrads.

The only grad students who are sniffing the bulge bracket banks are the Masters of Quantitative Finance (MQF) students and they are being hired to do very specific jobs--none of which are client facing.

To the OP... hope all is well. Obviously, I can't yet answer questions about MBA ROI... but I'm happy to talk about the admissions & MBA experiences as a whole. Rutgers College alumnus ('10), spent 5 years post-college in on-air sports broadcasting, now in between year 1 & 2 at NYU Stern (having interned this year in consulting and marketing strategy at Wasserman & NBCUniversal). Shoot me a note if you'd like -- dannybreslauer11 at gmail dot com. Good luck!

Reactions: Leonard23
Finished mine almost a year ago concentration in finance and marketing. Yes you can learn all the material online or in a book. but it helps to have the letters MBA after your name and i did get access to positions that I don't believe I would have gotten before it. Especially if your current employer will help support the $$ to get it, it's a no brainer.

This.

Your first post hit the nail on the head. It has been my experience that those 3 letters opened a lot of doors for me that otherwise would have been closed.

I probably could have benefited from an MBA but was biased against it after watching a family member go to Wharton and switch from a modestly successful career to a field they weren't suited for. So from that perspective I would recommend a career counselor to help identify your strengths that you can build on in an MBA or other program. Long term success depends on what you can get done moving people, numbers, things, information or likely some combination of those. If I had an MBA I probably would not be doing what I do now, which evolved from undergrad work and I enjoy. However, an extra degree might help when this gig ends, and they always do.

I was in a similar situation back in 2000 when I got MBA (not Rutgers). It has helped my overall career. It seems you are looking at name schools which is good since getting an MBA from Devry / Univ of Phx would not really help your career.

Having an MBA won't guarantee you become a manager but it will open up job opportunity at the Sr Contributor level that pays close to or more than 100k.

NYU Stern will get you over the hump while Rutgers is a step below in prestige but not bad at all. A step below Rutgers would be FDU or Pace. All are still better than William Patterson or other small local schools without the prestige.

I would recommend if at all possible (if you are smart enough and can mnaged your time well-to try attending part time (while working). Your employer picks up the cost and you don't have to leave your job. That said your life will likely be a lving h*ll for seversal years.

Though I don't know how she managed due to course completion limits but one girl in RUs ;program worked and took one class at a time. I also recommend unless you are incredibly smart or focused to getv the educaton whlle you can best handle it with the current job and not marred/with kids. I've enjoyed my programs but like tailgating al day without any classes or exams the next week. Still have that nightmare.

Theoretcally I think a lot of the top MBAs are spreads around-part time at a given local school where that employee works.

I agree with those above regarding your career aspirations and alignment. Also if you can swing nyu I would do that. I have a Rutgers MBA paid for by my employer so while my monetary investment was inconsequential the time investment was definitely worth it. It was a very solid education. Also people in general don't understand money or finance. If you are pursuing a career in business management that knowledge is a big advantage in my opinion.

Heres my Goldman story-the one time I saw them(lover many years) at a New Jersey Collegiate Career Fair I was not selected an interview. I was mad because I already outsmarted their former CEO Jon Corzine costing him millions.

For those know me I love owning the web addresses. Started my venture in March of 1999. Right near start heard Corzine was bought out at Goldman for $350 MILLION.
Heard he was gonna run for Governor though he was then at 6% recognition.

Registered the then popular combo. Was son called by Corzines abrasive co-campaign chair Steve Goldman (fired for such). called me while at the gym.

Thnking then CEO of Goldman knew how to negotiate, I asked for a "high" $10,000 expecting a counteroffer of a few thousand I'd take (as a resume padder and needed the money. Had just turned down Orrin Hatch for similar ( call ever).

Instead of a counteroffer I got "we KNEW ths would happen when Jon ran!"

Corzine chose to use Votecorzine.org and coincidentaly prod to spend $50 milliomn in marketing-the most expensive Senate campaign to date.(then).

My luck the day an aggressive reporter (biased) from "Roll Call" newspaper (goes to all pols and staff on Capitol Hlll). The result was an article that opened "Who is AshSaturday?-well if you are going to run for Senate you better know! Goldstein was cited calling me an "extortionist"-and that by simply adding a "1" to a domain I could easily be "defeated". Years later I was told by one staffer that my name was on every Senator's desk in Capitol Hill!

to add, many companies are not offering tuition reimbursement at the same levels as 10 or 20 years ago. In addition, with large companies being global and budget focused you should not rely on the reimbursement because they will lay you off in an instant regardless of your work contributions since many decisions are now made based on which dept and budget a resource is aligned with and not their annual performance review score.

If you are using tuition reimbursement be prepared to take out loans if needed based on a layoff or if they cut the tuition reimbursement program in the next year.

If OP is changing careers, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE attend any program part-time.

You might as well take the 30-$200k and set it on fire.

If you are a career changer, you go full time or not at all.

Hudson, please explain your logic. Good jobs are so difficult nowadays (that if you physically and mentally can) if you want to change careers you can do so slowly while retaining your present job! Most of my fellow MBAS at RU were really happy (though it was tough) they kept their jobs. Of the full time students I heard about none seemed to have landed an earth skaking job.**Read my post on my fellow grad experience at UNC".

I can understand ful time for people sjch as myself who can't handle both classwork an work-orc if someone is sngle, in their 20';s and can go to a B-week top 20 school with prior experience (solid experemnce of a few years).

As is I think you are wrong. An MBA is not nearly what it used to be.

My logic is simple.

The hard skills learned at RU are essentially useless. The sophomore intern I trained this summer has more hard finance skills than 9 of 10 finance MBAs RU will turn out in any given year (yes there will be an outlier or two who are rock solid, but they are exceptions).

You go to get an MBA to develop a network and to attend recruiting functions.

Flexers--RU's part time program--are treated like 10th class citizens. A handful of Flexers that are able to play the game properly will turn their experience into a significant step up upon graduation. Overwhelming majority will not.

Secondly, full timers get A LOT of free money (Assuming the OPs application is strong).

Third, the ROI clock is ticking the second you walk in the door. The quicker you walk out the door, the sooner you are reaping returns on your investment.

Fourth, Career Services for full-timers > flexers

Last, the bulk of the networking, recruiting and general bullshitting which is the reason you get an MBA takes place during 9-6. It is extremely difficult to get to an event and be ready to turn it on, if you are white knuckling it up the Turnpike.

You joke? Does the "Scarlet Knight get paid $150K per year?"

On that note I met a guy in Walmart who said he was going to be a youth minister. Asked about the salary and he said seriously that they earn $150,000 perv year?????

Of course I joke. However, while it is low paying, it's a nice life if you can get it.

To add, a career changer is by definition CHANGING CAREERS (which is the premise of my post re: full time v. part time).

If you are changing careers, odds are your employer is not about to make a 3-5 year 50k commitment on you.

I would say get a better GMAT score (try Manhattan GMAT prep class) and try to get into a Top 20 program (RU is #53), unless you are getting a MBA for the sole purpose of getting a formal business education. If you want to get a job and set up a strong network, it is better to invest your money in a Top 20 program.

Perhaps you can get an executive MBA. They are easier to get into. You network with mid-career colleagues but a bit different that full time networking. Consider NYC executive programs at Columbia, Cornell and NYU.

List of Top 20 schools:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings

Executive MBA Top 23 schools:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...hools/top-business-schools/executive-rankings

Last edited:
I think I see what you are saying-reimbursement issues and politics/job security. I would still argue that todays job market is so tough (especially one you are out of school a few years) that perhaps one is best off staying on the job and paying for the MBA oneself (thugh the employer might not like that signal). From what I remember employers used to pay for the MBA as long as you could convince them it was beneficisal to your growth at that company.

The Unemployment rate for a professional degree holder is under 2%

If someone who attends a B10 MBA program can't find a job upon graduation, they should be taken out back behind the barn

For the executive MBA program admissions usually wants 10 years of experience (that's what they said at RU). Speaking of does anyone know if Farokah (sp) Langdana (multitime #1 choice as RU MBAs top prof when I was there-great but tough economics class) still runs Rutgers' program? I'd trust the program with him at the helm. I remember him saying that he'd liked to take the executves and even other MBAs one a whirlwind 2-4 week tour of European businesses.

Rankings are irrelevant

Until the OP answers with what he (presumably) wants to do with his life and career, all of this advice is not applicable.

Here is a perfect example.

He is interested in Big Pharma Supply Chain and logistics and gets accepted into NYU with no aid and RU with a 60% scholarship.

If he picks NYU he's an idiot. Period.

If he wants to be an Investment banker or a McKinsey Consultant and gets 100% free ride at RU and 0% at Columbia, if he picks RU he's an idiot. Period.

This conversation is predicated on what he wants to do with his career.

No school in the country is better positioned to get someone a job in finance, supply chain or marketing at a pharma company.

On the other hand, RU has never placed a graduate at Bain, BCG, McKinsey, Goldman, JP Morgan or Credit Suisse at the MBA level.

The Unemployment rate for a professional degree holder is under 2%

If someone who attends a B10 MBA program can't find a job upon graduation, they should be taken out back behind the barn
I don't think the issue is finding A job. It is finding a better job; providing a reasonable ROI on the education investment.

No school in the country is better positioned to get someone a job in finance....

On the other hand, RU has never placed a graduate at Bain, BCG, McKinsey, Goldman, JP Morgan or Credit Suisse at the MBA level.

The first phrase is contradicted by the second statement.

Rankings are irrelevant

Until the OP answers with what he (presumably) wants to do with his life and career, all of this advice is not applicable.

Here is a perfect example.

He is interested in Big Pharma Supply Chain and logistics and gets accepted into NYU with no aid and RU with a 60% scholarship.

If he picks NYU he's an idiot. Period.

If he wants to be an Investment banker or a McKinsey Consultant and gets 100% free ride at RU and 0% at Columbia, if he picks RU he's an idiot. Period.

This conversation is predicated on what he wants to do with his career.

No school in the country is better positioned to get someone a job in finance, supply chain or marketing at a pharma company.

This pretty much sums up the topic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT