ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
We love puerto rico statehood.
Yeah but the US will not make the billions off of PR as a state like it does as a commonwealth, as per the Jones Act and other "programs" that allowed corporations to set up in PR with breaks with minimal benefits for the people. Even "True Blue Democrats dont want PR as a state because of this"

Yeah but the US will not make the billions off of PR as a state like it does as a commonwealth, as per the Jones Act and other "programs" that allowed corporations to set up in PR with breaks with minimal benefits for the people. Even "True Blue Democrats dont want PR as a state because of this"
I could care less about making money off American citizens. Puerto Rico has been neglected by the USA for years. The people are American citizens and should be treated as such whether we make or lose money on that. If we are so concerned about spending on PR we can cut the welfare to Alabama, Kentucky, MISS, Arkansas and the like until they figure out how to not be so bad.

This is such an opportunity for McConnell and Senate Republicans to establish themselves as leaders driven and guided by principle. No, it would not wipe away the poor prior behavior of McConnell and others, but it would draw a line between them, unscrupulous Democrats (not saying all Democrats, mind you, just the minority who are unscrupulous) and Trump. It would, at least temporarily, neutralize Democratic cries that Republicans are dishonest and underhanded. But, as it stands, McConnell and most Senate Republicans will waste that grand opportunity, and instead confirm a SCOTUS. Maybe, in their calculus, selling out totally and completely is worth it for that prize, I do wonder, though, if the longer term message sent by acting in good faith would resonate with more centrists and independent minded voters. It could be an opening to broaden the Republican base, and begin the needed process of distancing itself from Trump. Perhaps a lot of wishful thinking on my part, but it’s a chance to change the narrative and, who knows, maybe even plant the seeds for a return to bipartisan problem solving in an era where it’s greatly needed, That would be a legacy worth seeking for McConnell.

Because make no mistake. Confirming a SCOTUS Justice now, given the precedent set by McConnell himself, is hypocrisy at the highest level. It is abhorrent behavior, and not something anyone on this board would hold up to their children as the way to behave. Take the high road; you’ll encounter far less traffic.

Reps aren’t getting your vote or others like you. Like anyone cares about hypocrisy in this climate. Dems haven’t shown an inkling for working with the president ( see impeachment farce) so f—k the and f—k u too!

Reactions: bac2therac
I could care less about making money off American citizens. Puerto Rico has been neglected by the USA for years. The people are American citizens and should be treated as such whether we make or lose money on that. If we are so concerned about spending on PR we can cut the welfare to Alabama, Kentucky, MISS, Arkansas and the like until they figure out how to not be so bad.
I agree with everything you said but everything in this world is all about money. I read some books on the real history of Puerto Rico since 1898 (mainly Nelson A Denis' WAR AGAINST ALL PUERTO RICANS, among other books out theres) 1. It's a shame that Puerto Rican history is largely ignored in US schools (it is what it is) and 2. The history in those books are eye openers to those who are truly interested in PR history.

It's basically one of those wants its cake and eat it too situations.

Reactions: Greg2020
I agree with everything you said but everything in this world is all about money. I read some books on the real history of Puerto Rico since 1898 (mainly Nelson A Denis' WAR AGAINST ALL PUERTO RICANS, among other books out theres) 1. It's a shame that Puerto Rican history is largely ignored in US schools (it is what it is) and 2. The history in those books are eye openers to those who are truly interested in PR history.

It's basically one of those wants its cake and eat it too situations.
I never knew much about Puerto Rico growing up until I met a guy at a summer program from San Juan. Great guy, and taught me a lot about the place.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I never knew much about Puerto Rico growing up until I met a guy at a summer program from San Juan. Great guy, and taught me a lot about the place.
Then you should be interested in Nelson Denis' book as well as Fantasy Island by Ed Morales.

What have we seen over the years from Nancy’s groundlings. You can’t trust them so worrying about the future is mindless. If her party gets in they wouldn’t hesitate. The party of Lawyers or should we say Schysters is what will eventually destroy the nation.

Bob, that’s precisely the point, either party has the chance to genuinely grab the upper hand and improve their perception among the public. Right now,Senate Republicans have a perfect and unique opportunity to start the ball rolling on a long term strategy. All it entails is actually doing the right thing.

Reps aren’t getting your vote or others like you. Like anyone cares about hypocrisy in this climate. Dems haven’t shown an inkling for working with the president ( see impeachment farce) so f—k the and f—k u too!

The policies supported by the Republican Party pre-Trump were generally sound, and as a result I voted more times than not for Republicans. As such, your assumption is incorrect. Hypocrisy is certainly something rational and moral people always consider. based on the balance of your post, however t’s evident you’re neither rational nor moral.

How so? Last in education, last in healthcare, last in life expectancy, high levels of drugs overdoses, and high levels of poverty. A waste of our money. Our NJ taxpayers fund them.
So you would also agree that we should stop pouring NJ tax dollars into failing inner city public schools, housing and other social services such as in Newark, Camden, E.Orange, etc. Interesting perspective "Greg".

Reactions: Caliknight
I’m a Trump guy but for the sake of the country, just wait. If you’re so confident you will win just hold off on announcing pick until after election so country doesn’t burn down

I am the opposite. I am not a Trump guy but he has every right to forward a nomination. He was not a part of the 2016 Senate non-vote and has no obligation to not nominate.

Now Senators that claimed not voting for a nominee in an election year they should pay a price for their hypocrisy

Bob, that’s precisely the point, either party has the chance to genuinely grab the upper hand and improve their perception among the public. Right now,Senate Republicans have a perfect and unique opportunity to start the ball rolling on a long term strategy. All it entails is actually doing the right thing.
Morality ? Please don’t throw that term out there as if anyone in government is moral . The morality argument went out the day after the 2017 swearing in when Maxine Waters started her attacks and that led to many other attacks from both sides.

That depends on what ‘everything’ entails. What was done to Garland was just procedural. What happened to Kavanaugh was just disgusting. There’s fair play (Garland) and there’s unfair play (Kavanaugh). Being on the short or long end of the stick isn’t a license to do anything at all no matter how reprehensible.

Dems have a right to be upset about this but mature people will just shrug their shoulders and say it sucks for us but that’s the way it is. One day Dems will have control of the White House and senate again and then they’ll do the same thing.

I think if the Dems have a surprisingly strong Election Day and end up in power you will see some payback.

2 new justices and 4 senators are possible

Sleepy Joe picking by race again instead of talent. I’ll pick a black woman he says!! What a tool
Well we know what SloJoe's handlers think about the nonblack/POC community having too much diversity of thought...couldn't risk that on SCOTUS I guess....
“By the way, what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things,” he claimed.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/biden-suggests-black-community-not-as-diverse-as-latino/

Morality ? Please don’t throw that term out there as if anyone in government is moral . The morality argument went out the day after the 2017 swearing in when Maxine Waters started her attacks and that led to many other attacks from both sides.

The broader point, Bob, is that acting and behaving appropriately can be in their long term political and party interest,

Nope they are residents of NJ thus I think it's fair that NJ pours money into them.
And they can continue to pour money into those inner cities 25 years from now they will be the same and many others will join the mess... money is only a small fraction of the equation in restoring and revitalization... the groups that are teaching the destruction of the nuclear family, and the stability of having a two parent system just don’t get it ... I ask this question how many on this board had a mother / father type set up ? I will include the modern version two partners raising and showing their children right from wrong...

I think if the Dems have a surprisingly strong Election Day and end up in power you will see some payback.

2 new justices and 4 senators are possible

If they have the WH and the Senate, and a vacancy comes up, they’ll be able to fill it. That’s not payback. That’s how the process works.

Well we know what SloJoe's handlers think about the nonblack/POC community having too much diversity of thought...couldn't risk that on SCOTUS I guess....
“By the way, what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things,” he claimed.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/biden-suggests-black-community-not-as-diverse-as-latino/
I’m curious, who are the notable exceptions that he is referring to that he says can think for themselves?

Well, both sides fail and have failed over the past 60 + years... are you actually attempting to characterize politicians in DC as having a sense of morality... don’t preach that vibe here.

I‘m proposing a radical change in behavior which is In the long term, selfish interest of those who make said change. Yes, it would be more moral, but the reason the politician would make the change is because it will deliver long term political advantage for their party. And. I will put forth whatever vibe I wish, Bob.

I’m curious, who are the notable exceptions that he is referring to that he says can think for themselves?
Me too! But SloJoe has no clue of course...good question for Chris Wallace to ask one of his handlers. Come to think of it, scratch that, let Trump launch it at him in the first debate.

If they have the WH and the Senate, and a vacancy comes up, they’ll be able to fill it. That’s not payback. That’s how the process works.
Or they can legislate additional justices

9 is statutory and can and has been changed multiple times

I bet public sentiment would not be against them doing so

And they can continue to pour money into those inner cities 25 years from now they will be the same and many others will join the mess... money is only a small fraction of the equation in restoring and revitalization... the groups that are teaching the destruction of the nuclear family, and the stability of having a two parent system just don’t get it ... I ask this question how many on this board had a mother / father type set up ? I will include the modern version two partners raising and showing their children right from wrong...
That's what they said about NYC 25 years ago bob.

Or they can legislate additional justices

9 is statutory and can and has been changed multiple times

I bet public sentiment would not be against them doing so
And then what? They add justices, a few years later, the R's add justices, and on and on it goes. When will it end? 50 justices? SCOTUS will be destroyed all because the Dems lost in 2016 and just can't get over missing the dunk.

And then what? They add justices, a few years later, the R's add justices, and on and on it goes. When will it end? 50 justices? SCOTUS will be destroyed all because the Dems lost in 2016 and just can't get over missing the dunk.
Listen I don’t like it but I don’t think they would pay a price if they did it

As a history major you know the court size has changed numerous times

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT