ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they can legislate additional justices

9 is statutory and can and has been changed multiple times

I bet public sentiment would not be against them doing so

Packing the court would be a major escalation, and very wrong headed IMO. I don’t know how you can think it would enjoy public support unless there was a series of immensely unpopular scotus decisions. As a strictly partisan political move to undo the normal spoils of election victories I think it would be very unpopular.

Reactions: Caliknight
If they have the WH and the Senate, and a vacancy comes up, they’ll be able to fill it. That’s not payback. That’s how the process works.
-- The best chance for a vacancy in the next 4 years is Justice Breyer, who is 82 years old. But he was appointed by Clinton, and would not be seen as a gain for the Dems.

Justice Thomas is 72, which is relatively young for a Supreme Court Justice, and Justice Alito is 70. Unless Justice Thomas or Alito decides to retire or unexpectedly passes away, there is no chance for the Dems to flip the court in four years.

Or they can legislate additional justices

9 is statutory and can and has been changed multiple times

I bet public sentiment would not be against them doing so
That's certainly an option, but IMO, would be a bad move. Will each side keep expanding the court to meet their desired outcome in key cases?

That's what they said about NYC 25 years ago bob.
Greg : And exactly how and whom put NYC back together and a viable place for all... Giuliani and Bloomberg enhanced the police ... cleaned up the homeless population ... kept the subways for the living not the druggies and living dead...people wanted to be a part of the fabric which was NY... at this time it is a shadow of itself ... if this current fool was in charge for another term I would bet my life’s savings it would turn into total anarchy... We used to go into the city several times per month... train took 35 minutes...plays, sports, restaurants , museums ...you can’t pay me enough to go there after 12 noon... lol ... so please accept the fact this is not even your NYC ...

Packing the court would be a major escalation, and very wrong headed IMO. I don’t know how you can think it would enjoy public support unless there was a series of immensely unpopular scotus decisions. As a strictly partisan political move to undo the normal spoils of election victories I think it would be very unpopular.
I think only with Republicans

I think independent voters would say politics is a dirty business and the democrats are getting even

The ultimate bigger deal would be if DC and PR gain statehood

RBG has on Kaepernick’s “protest” while in the NFL; “I think it’s dumb and disrespectful “. Go Notorius!

Reactions: RU82
Listen I don’t like it but I don’t think they would pay a price if they did it

As a history major you know the court size has changed numerous times
Not since reconstruction. If you want to blame someone, blame Ginsburg. She took the risk that Hillary was going to be elected. She died with an R president and R senate. There's nothing wrong with them filling the seat.

If the Dems increase the # of justices for purely partisan reasons, the Rs will do the same. And so we go.....

Dems play by the rules. If GOP had confirmed Garland I would have no problem with repugs replacing RBG before the election and neither should dems. But that's not what happened. i think dems would have played by the rules as they always do.
Sure, Dems play by the rules except when:

confirming Kavenaugh

fabricating a collusion investigation for an attempted coup

fabricating impeachment charges for an attempted coup

Not since reconstruction. If you want to blame someone, blame Ginsburg. She took the risk that Hillary was going to be elected. She died with an R president and R senate. There's nothing wrong with them filling the seat.

If the Dems increase the # of justices for purely partisan reasons, the Rs will do the same. And so we go.....

To do it you will need all 3 branches which is why I doubt it happens now

But if the dems surprise and gain full power all bets are off

DC and PR Statehood might tilt the Senate balance in democratic advantage for a while

The average dem would execute his mother if he thought it would piss off Trump, and they are proud to admit it.

True Communists, starve the proletariat while feeding themselves.

But in this case the basementers would starve without Mom to cook their meals and have a job to bring home the bacon....

History will show that Harry Reid and RBG herself (by not retiring) handed this seat to the republicans.

I am told that the twits are screaming profanity at her for not resigning in the Obumma years ?

Short memories, if true....

Reactions: RUDead
To do it you will need all 3 branches which is why I doubt it happens now

But if the dems surprise and gain full power all bets are off

DC and PR Statehood might tilt the Senate balance in democratic advantage for a while
4-5 Senate Dems already say no. It's red meat for the lefty base, but not happening in 2021 or 2022 even if the Dems run the table.

This is such an opportunity for McConnell and Senate Republicans to establish themselves as leaders driven and guided by principle. No, it would not wipe away the poor prior behavior of McConnell and others, but it would draw a line between them, unscrupulous Democrats (not saying all Democrats, mind you, just the minority who are unscrupulous) and Trump. It would, at least temporarily, neutralize Democratic cries that Republicans are dishonest and underhanded. But, as it stands, McConnell and most Senate Republicans will waste that grand opportunity, and instead confirm a SCOTUS. Maybe, in their calculus, selling out totally and completely is worth it for that prize, I do wonder, though, if the longer term message sent by acting in good faith would resonate with more centrists and independent minded voters. It could be an opening to broaden the Republican base, and begin the needed process of distancing itself from Trump. Perhaps a lot of wishful thinking on my part, but it’s a chance to change the narrative and, who knows, maybe even plant the seeds for a return to bipartisan problem solving in an era where it’s greatly needed, That would be a legacy worth seeking for McConnell.

Because make no mistake. Confirming a SCOTUS Justice now, given the precedent set by McConnell himself, is hypocrisy at the highest level. It is abhorrent behavior, and not something anyone on this board would hold up to their children as the way to behave. Take the high road; you’ll encounter far less traffic.
Seems to me the Dems had three distinct opportunities to show the kind of leadership you’re discussing. And chose to go full battle mode on each of them:

a) Kavenaugh confirmation

b) Russian Collusion

c) Impeachment

Why would any republican choose to play gentlemanly against thugs who will stop at nothing?

Last edited:

Yes a partisan move like forcing through a new appointee right before an election when you did not let the previous president's nominee come up for a vote .

Do you not see this strange coincidence or are you blind?

Seems to me the Dems has three distinct opportunities to show the kind of leadership you’re discussing. And chose to go full battle mode on each of them:

a) Kavenaugh confirmation

b) Russian Collusion

c) Impeachment

Why would any republican choose to play gentlemanly against thugs who will stop at nothing?

Yes, those points seem to you to be Dems acting unfairly and improperly. In fact, all three were appropriate.

I said upthread that I think in the current political environment, both parties would bend the Constitution to advance their own personal preferences.

I think that's sad. Our system depends a lot on "doing the right thing."
So getting the BIG back to football and not shutting down again/still isn't doing the right thing ?

Bob, that’s precisely the point, either party has the chance to genuinely grab the upper hand and improve their perception among the public. Right now,Senate Republicans have a perfect and unique opportunity to start the ball rolling on a long term strategy. All it entails is actually doing the right thing.
And who exactly is going to note and remember that a leader took the high road and led by example?

Will the Dems notice and change behavior?

Will the MSM take notice and change their stripes and give credit to Trump & McConnell and usher in a whole new era of goodwill?

That’s fantasyland stuff Frida.

If the GOP ever gets the upper hand again. The way the demographics of the country are changing, including the natural forces of aging/death, exacerbated by COVID, the country is progressively (no pun intended!) trending more liberal and less conservative/GOP.

As an aside, I think that Trump selects Barbara Lagoa as his nominee, that will help him in Florida, a key battleground state.

And who exactly is going bite and remember that a leader took the high road and led by example?

e Dems will notice andchange behavior?

the MSM will brooks and change their stripes and give credit to Trump & McConnell and usher in a whole new era of goodwill?

That’s fantasyland stuff. I

voters, in particular centrists and independent minded voters.

dems will notice as the above voting blocks move more towards a party acting in principle.

tough to decipher your next string of words, but Trump would certainly not be included. And rightfully so.

Greg : And exactly how and whom put NYC back together and a viable place for all... Giuliani and Bloomberg enhanced the police ... cleaned up the homeless population ... kept the subways for the living not the druggies and living dead...people wanted to be a part of the fabric which was NY... at this time it is a shadow of itself ... if this current fool was in charge for another term I would bet my life’s savings it would turn into total anarchy... We used to go into the city several times per month... train took 35 minutes...plays, sports, restaurants , museums ...you can’t pay me enough to go there after 12 noon... lol ... so please accept the fact this is not even your NYC ...

I have lectured ALL my NYPD relatives and I have a lot......to NOW CARRY THEIR OFF DUTY WEAPON to and from their various commutes.

Murders up 100 percent already from total in 2019

Would you prefer that he not do it ?

Bye the way it's earthquake relief....

All the politicians in PR that were in charge after the hurricane are arrested.
PR had the worst local leadership ever. Scumbag criminals.

voters, in particular centrists and independent minded voters.

dems will notice as the above voting blocks move more towards a party acting in principle.

tough to decipher your next string of words, but Trump would certainly not be included. And rightfully so.
Not happening.

Zero to gain for Republican Leadership by not moving forward.

Besides, this is completely appropriate to fill this SC justice opening.

see how easy it is to call something completely appropriate...

Not happening.

Zero to gain for Republican Leadership by not moving forward.

Besides, this is completely appropriate to fill this SC justice opening.

see how easy it is to call something completely appropriate...

No, it’s hypocrisy at its most extreme. And I didn't predict it would happen, i put forth a contrarian long term strategy with good prospects of attracting the right kind of supporters. Of course, it would require McConnell , Graham, et all to stop being complete disingenuous scumbags. But I suppose they admire Trump. Oh well.

Reactions: Greg2020
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT