ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the GOP ever gets the upper hand again. The way the demographics of the country are changing, including the natural forces of aging/death, exacerbated by COVID, the country is progressively (no pun intended!) trending more liberal and less conservative/GOP.

As an aside, I think that Trump selects Barbara Lagoa as his nominee, that will help him in Florida, a key battleground state.
The 2 party system almost always creates a national equilibrium. Lagoa would be a remarkable choice. She was recently confirmed by the Senate with 80 votes. I would hope there would be a similar vote for her regarding SCOTUS.

Reactions: Caliknight
Sure, Dems play by the rules except when:

confirming Kavenaugh

fabricating a collusion investigation for an attempted coup

fabricating impeachment charges for an attempted coup
What rule did dems break during Kavanaugh? Impeachment is in the consitution. Why do you continuously tell lies like when you said the MAGA bomber was a false flag plant who was paid by Soros, I don't think you've ever told the truth once on this board to be honest.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Greg : And exactly how and whom put NYC back together and a viable place for all... Giuliani and Bloomberg enhanced the police ... cleaned up the homeless population ... kept the subways for the living not the druggies and living dead...people wanted to be a part of the fabric which was NY... at this time it is a shadow of itself ... if this current fool was in charge for another term I would bet my life’s savings it would turn into total anarchy... We used to go into the city several times per month... train took 35 minutes...plays, sports, restaurants , museums ...you can’t pay me enough to go there after 12 noon... lol ... so please accept the fact this is not even your NYC ...
It's my NYC it's not yours or the other old men on this board. Glad you like Bloomberg so much. Bloomberg endorsed Biden!!!! Less murders this year in New York city than the lowest year under Rudy. NYC is objectively safer now than in any year under Rudy.

Yes a partisan move like forcing through a new appointee right before an election when you did not let the previous president's nominee come up for a vote .

Do you not see this strange coincidence or are you blind?

Both sides are arguing the opposite of what they did in 2016. The bottom line is that Republicans have the votes to confirm now and had the votes to obstruct then.

This is all normal political maneuvering. Win some elections and your preferred party can fill and/or stall vacancies as well. Until then, maybe just try not to whine so much. It makes you seem naive and childish.

Not since reconstruction. If you want to blame someone, blame Ginsburg. She took the risk that Hillary was going to be elected. She died with an R president and R senate. There's nothing wrong with them filling the seat.

If the Dems increase the # of justices for purely partisan reasons, the Rs will do the same. And so we go.....
Nope mitch would have blocked her replacement too.

Both sides are arguing the opposite of what they did in 2016. The bottom line is that Republicans have the votes to confirm now and had the votes to obstruct then.

This is all normal political maneuvering. Win some elections and your preferred party can fill and/or stall vacancies as well. Until then, maybe just try not to whine so much. It makes you seem naive and childish.
Nope, dems said we should do what has always been done, repugs said no new rule about election years, now dems want the same rule enforced. The dem comments you keep talking about were made before mitch instituted his rule. Now that he has we expect him to play by it also.

I think only with Republicans

I think independent voters would say politics is a dirty business and the democrats are getting even

The ultimate bigger deal would be if DC and PR gain statehood

Getting even for a normal process scotus appointment by packing the court? That would be horrific and the most anti-democratic action taken by a political party in any of our lifetimes.

You need to take your blue tinted glasses off.

It's my NYC it's not yours or the other old men on this board. Glad you like Bloomberg so much. Bloomberg endorsed Biden!!!! Less murders this year in New York city than the lowest year under Rudy. NYC is objectively safer now than in any year under Rudy.

U must have missed the 100 per cent increase in Murders this year vs 2019 already

No, it’s hypocrisy at its most extreme. And I didn't predict it would happen, i put forth a contrarian long term strategy with good prospects of attracting the right kind of supporters. Of course, it would require McConnell , Graham, et all to stop being complete disingenuous scumbags. But I suppose they admire Trump. Oh well.
While we are at it, maybe the Dems could show some goodwill. What better time to prove you want to work together?

Except the Dems are not the majority, so it would be a shallow expression. If they were the majority, though, the same rationale I articulated earlier would apply.
No they aren’t but their votes are needed for a number of things. Want to hold off on a justice appointment? Maybe pass a stimulus package without bailing out states. How about money for a wall? You want the R’s to give something up so should the Dems.

Fun with numbers, huh? Tell us, Will, where would that put NYC murders relative to the past? Are we talking 1980s era stuff? Or more like circa mid 2000s?
Are you arguing a one year 100% increase year over year isn’t a concern?

Getting even for a normal process scotus appointment by packing the court? That would be horrific and the most anti-democratic action taken by a political party in any of our lifetimes.

You need to take your blue tinted glasses off.

You must have missed the post where I said I don’t like it

I am giving you my thoughts on what I think will happen and how the public will react

Reactions: Greg2020
No they aren’t but their votes are needed for a number of things. Want to hold off on a justice appointment? Maybe pass a stimulus package without bailing out states. How about money for a wall? You want the R’s to give something up so should the Dems.

Dems wanted to give Trump more money for the wall than he, deal-maker extraordinaire, ever got by himself. But he didn’t care about the actual wall or ever making a deal. If you remember, that’s the day he called the whole of Africa a shit-hole country. Same with infrastructure week, which has lasted for nearly four years now. The will was there on one side, but he’s not interested in deals or actually working.

what you describe is nothing but horse trading. I’m talking about a much grander move designed to put the Republicans in A respectable principle position. I’m Talking about playing the long game to dent the inevitable demographic shift occurring.

Of course it is a concern but the number this year will be lower than any year Rudy was in office, and this year is the highest of Deblasio's tenure I believe. Now I think Deblasio is a really bad mayor, but based on FACTS and NUMBERS the same people who say how safe it was under Rudy have to admit it is safer now at least in terms of murders.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
No, it’s hypocrisy at its most extreme. And I didn't predict it would happen, i put forth a contrarian long term strategy with good prospects of attracting the right kind of supporters. Of course, it would require McConnell , Graham, et all to stop being complete disingenuous scumbags. But I suppose they admire Trump. Oh well.
Your proposal is just as silly as a really talented guy, Mitt Romney, refusing to fight back and getting steamrolled in the election and then being but hurt about it and letting it shape his votes in the Senate there forward.

Or maybe as silly as throwing your support for Gary Johnson last election...

The Dems & MSM have all adopted Harry Reed’s theme of the end justifies any and all means. You choose to ignore the litany of baud faith actions one after another by Dem Leadership supported by the MSM, but now want Trump & McConnell to commit suicide in the hopes that someone will notice.

it‘a really not very bright in today’s political climate.

I say no. Definitely no. You’ve been beat on relentlessly for 4 years and now have a card to play that’s a distinct advantage.

You play the card. It’s bad strategy not to.

Reactions: newell138
what you describe is nothing but horse trading. I’m talking about a much grander move designed to put the Republicans in A respectable principle position. I’m Talking about playing the long game to dent the inevitable demographic shift occurring.
What long game? These politicians only care about themselves. A deal with Pelosi means nothing to Schumer. Make Schumer happy and it doesn’t satisfy AOC or Bernie.
What have the Dems done in the last 4 years to show they would work with Trump. What if he wins? They going to just play nice now?

Oh, and I see we are up to 17 pages on this monstrosity. Yeesh...

It should be monitored and controlled, but it’s no crisis relative to history. Doubling the near historic low 2019 murder rate brings us back to the bad old days of ..... 2003.
Controlled by social workers? Murders up. Homeless up. Drug use up. But it’s ok because it’s not the worst it’s ever been.

You must have missed the post where I said I don’t like it

I am giving you my thoughts on what I think will happen and how the public will react

I think your conclusions are wrong regardless. Dems wouldn’t have any defensible reason for packing the court. They would lose that PR battle in a big way.

Your proposal is just as silly as a really talented guy, Mitt Romney, refusing to fight back and getting steamrolled in the election and then being but hurt about it and letting it shape his votes in the Senate there forward.

Or maybe as silly as throwing your support for Gary Johnson last election...

The Dems & MSM have all adopted Harry Reed’s theme of the end justifies any and all means. You choose to ignore the litany of baud faith actions one after another by Dem Leadership supported by the MSM, but now want Trump & McConnell to commit suicide in the hopes that someone will notice.

it‘a really not very bright in today’s political climate.

I say no. Definitely no. You’ve been beat on relentlessly for 4 years and now have a card to play that’s a distinct advantage.

You play the card. It’s bad strategy not to.
My proposal is unlikely to be adopted, but it’s not silly. That’s your go to response these days. And that is what’s silly.

Im actually not ignoring any bad faith moves by Democrats. In fact, those moves are what makes my proposed action stand out. And it would never be easier to do so, since confirming a nominee would be the most hypocritical action taken by the Senate in my lifetime. But you’re right. Senate Republicans are basically acting as despicably as Trump.

Supporters of both should be ashamed.

f628a61168cc1a29ba9fb3254470e4579ea1016d78eb6e8c0fb2eb21d2fb2963_1.jpg

My proposal is unlikely to be adopted, but it’s not silly. That’s your go to response these days. And that is what’s silly.

Im actually not ignoring any bad faith moves by Democrats. In fact, those moves are what makes my proposed action stand out. And it would never be easier to do so, since confirming a nominee would be the most hypocritical action taken by the Senate in my lifetime. But you’re right. Senate Republicans are basically acting as despicably as Trump.

Supporters of both should be ashamed.
How does one define most hypocritical action in my lifetime. Leaders of the senate Constantly approved things they said were wrong in the past

I thought Donny is law and order ? Is NYC in the United States or do blue states not count like Donny likes to pretend . I guess law and order only counts when you are gassing protesters and bragging about hitting innocent reporters with pellots.
Maybe the law and order president should explain why Ivanka stole from her own charities .

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT