ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ryder cup thread

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
The US clearly has the better team on paper but what a self absorbed egotistical mess they are headed in to the Ryder cup. You would think for one weekend every other year they can try and be part of the team and care about this event as the fans clearly do.

we got azinger calling out koepka and basically telling him to quit and Dechambeau spending the last week training for the world long drive competition everyday to the point it has "wrecked his hands". I'm sure the rest of his game and swing is wrecked as well as he solely trains for this.
no way these guys would pull this act during the season or before a major . Sad they can't hold it together for a week and care

azinger on koepka

"I'm not sure he loves the Ryder Cup that much, if he doesn't love it he should relinquish his spot and get people there who do love it,'' Azinger said. "Not everybody embraces it. But if you don't love it, and you're not sold out, then I think Brooks -- especially being hurt -- should consider whether or not he really wants to be there. And if you add the Bryson [DeChambeau] dynamic to that, that would be an even easier decision for him.''

dechambeau

Last edited:
Actually Stricker is the Captain but can’t argue with what Azinger says. U.S. doesn’t seem like much of a team and Europe takes the event much more seriously. Might get ugly.

Actually Stricker is the Captain but can’t argue with what Azinger says. U.S. doesn’t seem like much of a team and Europe takes the event much more seriously. Might get ugly.

From what I've seen Koepka seems like a drama queen. I hope Dechambeau was working on the rest of his game while working out. I'm sure he was.

But hey, Americans losing sight of tradition? Isn't that what we do now?

Will anyone be surprised if the US team loses badly in the RC? Some of our guys aren’t the best of team players.

Reactions: knightfan7
Disagree with the OP that the US is better on paper. It is completely the opposite! There are 6 players with no Ryder Cup experience, it's the youngest US team EVER and one of the players, Sheffler, doesn't even have a win on the PGA Tour!

Disagree with the OP that the US is better on paper. It is completely the opposite! There are 6 players with no Ryder Cup experience, it's the youngest US team EVER and one of the players, Sheffler, doesn't even have a win on the PGA Tour!
And this is why the whole Brooks/Bryson thing may have a major adverse effect on the team. There's no vocal respected vet on the team to tell them to cut the sh** and play for each other. Even the assistant capt's don't fit the bill personality wise.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Sounds to me that Zinger is trying to light a fire. I would like to see the unedited interview with Koepka. Because he is not entirely wrong. All year and their entire career, golf is an individual sport, and for one week every two years they have to partner with their rival. It can create some interesting dynamics. As you can see with Brooks-Bryson drama this year. This team is young and does not have the most experience. But many, outside of brooks and Bryson, get along and hang with each other off the course. There is more commonality than differences on this team.

Reactions: WhiteBus
They should pair Brooks and Bryson in foursomes just for entertainment value. Mic them up and make it ppv.
had the same conversation with my buddies last weekend. I think it would force them to think outside of themselves. It would be an epic failure or an epic success but overall it would be epic to see.

Will anyone be surprised if the US team loses badly in the RC? Some of our guys aren’t the best of team players.
Firmly believe we will get trounced this year by Europe. USA Ryder Cup golf needs a Herb Brooks-like intervention.

Sounds to me that Zinger is trying to light a fire. I would like to see the unedited interview with Koepka. Because he is not entirely wrong. All year and their entire career, golf is an individual sport, and for one week every two years they have to partner with their rival. It can create some interesting dynamics. As you can see with Brooks-Bryson drama this year. This team is young and does not have the most experience. But many, outside of brooks and Bryson, get along and hang with each other off the course. There is more commonality than differences on this team.
I also agree with Koepka but on a different point. Players of all sports have a very structured way to prepare. Once you get them out of their routine it has a adverse affect on them. You hear about this from all sports. The US Ryder Cup should let the players prepare the normally do instead of having structured practices.

Reactions: kupuna133
I also agree with Koepka but on a different point. Players of all sports have a very structured way to prepare. Once you get them out of their routine it has a adverse affect on them. You hear about this from all sports. The US Ryder Cup should let the players prepare the normally do instead of having structured practices.
Agreed. You can't force camaraderie. This will happen naturally on and off the course. Nothing wrong with team dinners and some playing rounds but the overall preparation the captain should be hands off.

The week is here.

Europe is the defending champion (having won in 2018 with a score of 17.5 to 10.5)

US needs 14.5 pts to win. Europe needs 14 to retain the cup.

Any predictions.

I like the US here. This team is super talented and deep. Concern is they haven't been playing well recently, there are injuries and obviously animosity but the depth and home "field" advantage will help the rookies.

US 15-13 win.

Those who play golf know that performance is a day to day situation.

I believe that the US team has no advantage here.

My brother and I played all 4 Whistling Straits courses ten years ago and stayed at the American club. Fantastic experience. What amazed me the most was how clean and aqua the water looked in Lake Michigan. Looked like the Caribbean.

Best bratwurst sandwich and cheese curds I’ve ever had at Herb Kohlers resort. Even got to see him there walking off 18 on the trip.

I think Europeans are not allowed to come to US so our players will not have to put up with "Ole Ole" every time Euros sink a monster putt.

The Ryder Cup is starting in about 43 minutes.

Big crowd at the first Tee. JT and Jordan Speith leading off for the USA.

Rahm and Garcia leading off for the Europeans.

Should be a good match against Thomas and Speith.

The Ryder Cup is starting in about 43 minutes.

Big crowd at the first Tee. JT and Jordan Speith leading off for the USA.
Against the two Spaniards Rahm and Garcia.
Not to long ago, Sergio was a supportive assistant coach with his game in shambles.
Quite a comeback, all the way back to the #1 European team

Reactions: RUScrew85
And they’re off. First tee shots at the Ryder Cup are some of the coolest moments in all of sports.
Can’t imagine the nerves!
What would you be more nervous on, the tee ball or the your first 3 footer to half the hole!
I’d mini convulse on the putt I think and pray it went in sideways

Those who play golf know that performance is a day to day situation.

I believe that the US team has no advantage here.

My brother and I played all 4 Whistling Straits courses ten years ago and stayed at the American club. Fantastic experience. What amazed me the most was how clean and aqua the water looked in Lake Michigan. Looked like the Caribbean.

Best bratwurst sandwich and cheese curds I’ve ever had at Herb Kohlers resort. Even got to see him there walking off 18 on the trip.
A bit OT but had no idea the Kohlers own the the Old Course Hotel in St Andrews.

What would you be more nervous on, the tee ball or the your first 3 footer to half the hole!
I think the tee shot would get me more, but any putt inside 5 feet would have my knees knocking too. It’s awesome though...it’s what makes the Ryder Cup so engaging.

Nerves? On the big stage? From zappa? I don't believe it.

I'll take the tree footer as long as it's not down hill. ; )

First I've heard of the "whooaaaa" during practice swings from the crowd. Pretty funny.

I actually prefer the down hill, just get it rolling, the uphill putt I have to stroke

Yeah but those down hill putts that break just a little so you can't really tell.... *@&#^$*!&T#^%R%#&!(!!!!!!!!!!

I think Morikawa will emerge from this weekend as the ultimate iceman for the US. He may be the worlds best right now and is stellar under pressure. Cantlay pretty darn good too.

Good start by the US, off to a 3-1 lead after the morning session. But, that happened last time too and Europe stormed back in Friday afternoon and Saturday morning sessions. This afternoon will be very big for the US. Can’t let the Ryder Cup ghosts creep in. Europe usually really strong in four ball format.

Great line from Azinger on the broadcast after Koepka & Berger close out Westwood & Fitzpatrick. “First win of the year for Florida State.”

Spieth hit one amazing shot on the 17th. They played well but Rahm is in the zone and Sergio somehow plays really well in RC.

I think America will win this easily. They have too much firepower.

Wind really picking up for the afternoon 4 Ball. DeChambeau seems to not notice with 2 Birdies and an Eagle in 8 holes. Euro's playing better than in the morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT