ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saratoga opened today...

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
.................................but Carly Simon is still wrong.

Her late 1972 hit:"You're So Vain" has a verse that goes thusly:

"Well,I hear you went up to Saratoga,where your horse naturally won.
Then you flew your Lear jet to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the Sun."

Only one problem here.

The Nova Scotia total eclipse occurred on July 10 but Saratoga didn't open until July 24th.

Only someone who is a music fan,star gazer,and a degenerate horse player could have discovered this-as I did in late "72.

Reactions: LeapinLou
The lines work in that order and she doesn't attach specific dates to either event. She could be just recounting what she heard about his exploits, not worrying about the dates. I approve. This song was about David Geffen, right?

Late pick 5 paid $10K for $0.50. Pick 6 carryover is already over $600K. Expecting at least $1.5M-$2M+ in the jackpot pool tomorrow.

The lines work in that order and she doesn't attach specific dates to either event. She could be just recounting what she heard about his exploits, not worrying about the dates. I approve. This song was about David Geffen, right?
I thought song was about Warren Beatty

I’ll have to look it up again. I remember something being said in an American Master’s documentary about David Geffen but I could be wrong.

Great place . Lots of people don’t know how great upstate NY can be (in the summer).
Spent lots of time at the Spa growing up. 60s and 70s. Fun times. Cool mornings on the backstretch and watching the workouts on the Oklahoma track.

I have only been there for Dead shows, but it’s a beautiful area as is much of upstate New York, with the exception of Syracuse and the Carrier Dome.

Per the San Diego Union-Tribune 11/18/15....

"Carly Simon cleared up those clouds in everybody’s coffee Wednesday with her admission that Warren Beatty was indeed the subject of her hit song ‘You’re so Vain.

At least, he was one of them anyway.

In an interview with People magazine, Simon said she was actually singing about three men and one of Hollywood's most prolific heartthrobs (Beatty) was the subject of just one of the verses of the 1972 blockbuster."

"I have confirmed that the second verse is Warren," Simon told People. However, she added, in a twist that keeps with the spirit of the song’s title, "Warren thinks the whole thing is about him!"

That’s true. In a 1989 interview Beatty famously said “Let’s be honest. That song was about me.”

Reactions: RUPete and RUKen
Absolutely love Saratoga! I have not been there in several years, but I hope to make amends shortly. :)

In 1987, I got caught up in the Bet Twice/Alysheba rivalry and made the trip to Saratoga to see the battle in the Travers. (Java Gold pulled the upset in the slop.) I fell in love with the place and for the next ~20 years I rarely missed a year going there.

In addition to the races, I've been to the SPAC numerous times for some great concerts (Petty, CSN, Springsteen, Doobie Brothers, Ringo Starr).

I am currently looking into making plans to travel up to The Spa on the morning Friday Sept. 2. I'll attend the races that afternoon and drive about two hours to a hotel in the Springfield, MA area. Then, the following morning, drive about 90 minutes to Chestnut Hill for RU's season opener!

- Saratoga
- Finger Lakes
- Lake George

All great summer vacation spots in NY. Can't go wrong with any of them. I rate them in the order shown.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
ADVERTISEMENT