ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saratoga races

Right now dealing with chemo and all the fun that goes with it for a loved one. I would like to carve out a day or two soon but hard to leave.

Whitney, Alabama, Jim Dandy, Travers are all great weekends at Saratoga. Hell, any day of racing is great at Saratoga!
Agree everyday there is great. I stopped going to the Travers in the 90s. Everything is too crowded. This will be my first Opening Day and have been going for over 30 years. It will be crowded but the early start and the first Opener on a Thursday may keep it manageable. Leave tomorrow at dawn and should be able to see the end of the morning workouts. So many friends up there. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Agree everyday there is great. I stopped going to the Travers in the 90s. Everything is too crowded. This will be my first Opening Day and have been going for over 30 years. It will be crowded but the early start and the first Opener on a Thursday may keep it manageable. Leave tomorrow at dawn and should be able to see the end of the morning workouts. So many friends up there. Can't wait.

Been to opening day. Collmus will likely announce over the PA before the first race for the entire crowd to say “And they’re off at Saratoga” when the gates open for race 1. Pretty cool

Reactions: WhiteBus
Give me a daily double bet to make for you. At least you can be here in spirit.
Town is very quiet today. Doesn't have a big day feel just yet but when the gates open for the 1st race I'm sure everything will be back to normal.
Mariano Reveria will be at the track Friday with a race named for him!

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/...aseball-hall-of-fame-inductee-mariano-rivera/
Yes when I thought of Saratoga this year I thought of Cooperstown and the Riviera Hall of Fame induction. Would make a nice combo trip (when?). Question-how in order to be at the induction one needs to have donated Megabucks to the baseball hall of fame ( for a ticket), no?

Yes when I thought of Saratoga this year I thought of Cooperstown and the Riviera Hall of Fame induction. Would make a nice combo trip (when?). Question-how in order to be at the induction one needs to have donated Megabucks to the baseball hall of fame ( for a ticket), no?

There’s free admission to the induction ceremony. https://baseballhall.org/events/hof-weekend-2019

When I went about 15 years ago there was a paid seating section and free lawn seating behind that.

White I may take u up on that. It would certainly lift my spirits. And hers.. She was married to a degenerate horse player for almost 40 years .On a day he supposedly swore off the ponies for the 50th time almost 20 years ago he got run over by a car walking out of the Freehold track..And still denied why he was there. My kind of guy[thumb2]

Last edited:
Love Saratoga! Haven't been there in a few years. Gotta get back.

I still have a t-shirt that reads, "The August Place To Be!"

Of course, Saratoga has opened for a few weeks in July for many years now.

With the World Series of Poker main event in progress, let’s start the meet with an exacta box in race 1: 1 Poker Game/6 Tiz No Bluff

Love Saratoga! Haven't been there in a few years. Gotta get back.

I still have a t-shirt that reads, "The August Place To Be!"

Of course, Saratoga has opened for a few weeks in July for many years now.

Love Tom's (maybe you should repeat) story about how he (Mikes brother Tom is about as middle class looking as can be) gave Mrs. Vanderbilt? or owner of horse that nipped out Funny Cide? for the triple crown in 2003 (Tom and I were on a rare sans you day) some winners after she requested such of Tom.

Mike, one of your better road trips combos, no? Saratoga/Petty (1st row)

WB How did you do today? Any weather impediments?
Cashing not trashing! Hit Big Q in the 5th a few ways so came home with more than I went up with so great start. Crowd was light but it was a Thursday. Expecting a big crowd today. Weather was comfortable and the rain came in between 6th and 7th. Cleared but knocked the last off the turf so I headed home. Looking forward to returning.

Bus I love Joel Rosario. We share a first name. Might be related:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Was going to tell you to box him in every race yesterday but got involved elsewhere so I never posted. I believe he had a nice opening day huh?

Bus I love Joel Rosario. We share a first name. Might be related:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Was going to tell you to box him in every race yesterday but got involved elsewhere so I never posted. I believe he had a nice opening day huh?
Yes he did!

Thanks Heaven. Sounds cliche but you go through it together.She is typically anxiety ridden and driven and as crazy as it sounds those qualities may save her.Plus some chemo oxygen and me..:pray:

Thanks Heaven. Sounds cliche but you go through it together.She is typically anxiety ridden and driven and as crazy as it sounds those qualities may save her.Plus some chemo oxygen and me..:pray:
I'll be up at Saratoga on August 12-15. If all is good let me know.

They should just postpone it. Attendance will be down significantly. If there is any injury to a horse they will take a huge PR hit with all the other tracks cancelling races.

If they try to run i have a feeling there will be a lot of scratches tomorrow so the racing/betting will be weak anyway.

Pushing it back to 8pm isnt going to do much to help. Not to mention most of the crowd will bail. We go every year and much of our group has already decided to skip it.

They should just postpone it. Attendance will be down significantly. If there is any injury to a horse they will take a huge PR hit with all the other tracks cancelling races.

If they try to run i have a feeling there will be a lot of scratches tomorrow so the racing/betting will be weak anyway.

Pushing it back to 8pm isnt going to do much to help. Not to mention most of the crowd will bail. We go every year and much of our group has already decided to skip it.
I agree that the risk reward if a horse goes down is too big.
However the off track handle will be huge as they will be the only betting option nationally for hours. What they lose on track will more than be made up from off track.
The option to postpone the Haskell is not an option. They would just cancel it. None of these horses would run next week.

BTW the Director of Media for Monmouth Park is our very own Tom Lucci.

Bottom line is NBC is televising the race as part of the Breeders Cup “win and your in”. No way Monmouth doesn’t run that race when NBC tells them to $$$$$$$

Bottom line is NBC is televising the race as part of the Breeders Cup “win and your in”. No way Monmouth doesn’t run that race when NBC tells them to $$$$$$$

They mentioned the possibility if runnjng it at 8 and not on nbc. We'll see what happens.

TVG the sponsor of this year is Haskell celebrating their 20th year is the one putting the pressure on and has more $$$ in the day.

I’m skipping MP and the Haskell this year due to the extreme temps. I hope everybody comes back safe.

In Saratoga news Mary Lou Whitney passed away yesterday. RIP

Last edited:
Very sad news about Mary Lou Whitney. Truly the Queen of Saratoga. The charities she supported and the work she did for that town was fantastic. She loved her town!
Back from setting up our Haskell party and the place is a ghost town. You can walk right in and get a table in the shade. It would have been better to cancel. Ghost town. Too hot to stay any length of time.

Reactions: Phi_1055
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT