ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Saturday Trip to South Street Seaport

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Looking to go July 9 for the 4 Knots music festival.
Will also plan a trip to the 911 Memorial Museum.
Any suggestions for things to see, restaurants, etc? Not looking for anything fancy or expensive.

Strongly considering driving in from Monmouth County through Staten Island/Brooklyn then Battery Tunnel. Found cheap parking for the day on Pearl Street for $10.

Could take the Ferry in from Highlands, which I am well familiar with, but with limited schedule on way home and high cost with 4 passengers, thinking car is best option on a weekend. I have no problem driving into NYC.

Would think Holland tunnel would be better option going in as SI can be a disaster but if you do go via SI a Pro Tip is to have 3 or more in the car an you can use the HOV lane in SI to the VNB.

You can beat the toll though by doing this and going home via Holland tunnell

Would think Holland tunnel would be better option going in as SI can be a disaster but if you do go via SI a Pro Tip is to have 3 or more in the car an you can use the HOV lane in SI to the VNB.

You can beat the toll though by doing this and going home via Holland tunnell

I'll check waze the day of the trip, but if that's the case, perhaps easiest to park in Jersey City or Hoboken and take the PATH in.

Reactions: satnom
There is a beer garden at South Street Seaport.

Stone Street may be active as well. Some outside drinking, food is a little overpriced IMO.

Just be leery because things that may be open during the week may not be on weekends, when it's ghost town. If it's open, Sophie's has good, casual Cuban food.

There is a beer garden at South Street Seaport.

Stone Street may be active as well. Some outside drinking, food is a little overpriced IMO.

Just be leery because things that may be open during the week may not be on weekends, when it's ghost town. If it's open, Sophie's has good, casual Cuban food.
Thanks for the tip. Will have the kids and we don't drink, so the beer garden is out. Casual Cuban food sounds good.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Park in Staten Island and take the ferry to downtown. Save money and a beautiful ride.

Reactions: mikefla
I like the Holland Tunnel recommendation and the idea of the HOV on SI if you go that way. But weekend traffic in either direction on the SIE is very hit or miss.. Also you can do the carpool thing if you go to a manned booth at the Outerbridge. Not sure if it works on other PA crossings but not sure why it wouldn't. Need to register to do it. It's free.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

You hate driving through SI and Brooklyn, don't you?
Crap, never knew about that carpool discount, but it is not clear from the link how you register?

Am I reading it right that the TOTAL tolls is $6.50 if enrolled?

Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority Carpool Plan (PACP) is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.50 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles), provided that there are three or more people in the vehicle. Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)

Park in Staten Island and take the ferry to downtown. Save money and a beautiful ride.
I like this idea too.

And depending on how your day goes and how much energy the kids have left on the way back the Staten Island Yankees are playing that night with some cool giveaways (if you guys are Star Wars fans) and fireworks after the game. The price is right and the view of the NYC skyline (with Lady Liberty) at night is worth it.

You hate driving through SI and Brooklyn, don't you?
Crap, never knew about that carpool discount, but it is not clear from the link how you register?

Am I reading it right that the TOTAL tolls is $6.50 if enrolled?

Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority Carpool Plan (PACP) is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.50 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles), provided that there are three or more people in the vehicle. Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)
Yes. Regular tolls are anywhere from $10.50 to $15.

The carpool price used to be only $2.00 not too long ago. LOL

Call E-ZPass.

This is the way i go...there are free meters up by the police station...:cop:
we bring bikes on the Ferry....
what a view of MANHATTAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:americanflag::americanflag::americanflag::americanflag:

we also watch the fireworks from the meter area...one year we saw 8 different towns in the distance
:boom::fire::boom:

It makes it like a vacation........once a year I used to cycle all the way around Manhattan Island
GOOD MEMORIES !!!!!!!!!!
:pray:

I like this idea too.

And depending on how your day goes and how much energy the kids have left on the way back the Staten Island Yankees are playing that night with some cool giveaways (if you guys are Star Wars fans) and fireworks after the game. The price is right and the view of the NYC skyline (with Lady Liberty) at night is worth it.

This is the way i go...there are free meters up by the police station...:cop:
we bring bikes on the Ferry....
what a view of MANHATTAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:americanflag::americanflag::americanflag::americanflag:

we also watch the fireworks from the meter area...one year we saw 8 different towns in the distance
:boom::fire::boom:

It makes it like a vacation........once a year I used to cycle all the way around Manhattan Island
GOOD MEMORIES !!!!!!!!!!
:pray:

All good points and I'll throw in one more, especially if you have kids with you. The SI Zoo is an underrated gem and is small enough to do as a quick stop with the kids on your way to Manhattan and we love the ferry ride.

Stan island parking is a mess right now check it out first. I go to stone street often it's great. Ferry is way to but you are right limited schedule.

All good points and I'll throw in one more, especially if you have kids with you. The SI Zoo is an underrated gem and is small enough to do as a quick stop with the kids on your way to Manhattan and we love the ferry ride.
Yes it is. Good call.

Pretty good reptile house.

On a Sunday, street parking is free and usually easy to find. Keep that in mind

A very good and inexpensive place to eat is Jeremy's Ale House on Front Street. It is a landmark in the area. Mostly seafood, but can get burgers, wings, etc. Known for the 32 oz beers which I use as pitchers and get plastic cups to avoid beer getting warm. Huge beer selection.

Outstanding suggestion. Easy in and out. Maybe my luck will run out soon driving through Staten Island--@e5fdny had me worried, but I used the WAZE app. The ferry ride was great.

A very good and inexpensive place to eat is Jeremy's Ale House on Front Street. It is a landmark in the area. Mostly seafood, but can get burgers, wings, etc. Known for the 32 oz beers which I use as pitchers and get plastic cups to avoid beer getting warm. Huge beer selection.

Thanks for the tip. Very close to the 4Knots festival. Did not realize it was a dive bar. The plethora of bras on the ceiling was nice touch with the kids :oops:. They are both teenagers, and we all had a good laugh. Food was decent and very reasonable.

911 Museum was very moving and is a must visit. Some of the exhibits are really heart wrenching. There are two FDNY apparatus that were severely damaged when the towers fell, and as a firefighter, it was very moving to see up close.

The 4Knots festival was a nice way to lighten up the end of the day. Went to see a newer band called Car Seat Headrest. Their new album is fantastic. The leader of the band is 23, and writes very clever lyrics and good songs.

Reactions: Zak57
Outstanding suggestion. Easy in and out. Maybe my luck will run out soon driving through Staten Island--@e5fdny had me worried, but I used the WAZE app. The ferry ride was great.

Thanks for the tip. Very close to the 4Knots festival. Did not realize it was a dive bar. The plethora of bras on the ceiling was nice touch with the kids :oops:. They are both teenagers, and we all had a good laugh. Food was decent and very reasonable.

911 Museum was very moving and is a must visit. Some of the exhibits are really heart wrenching. There are two FDNY apparatus that were severely damaged when the towers fell, and as a firefighter, it was very moving to see up close.

The 4Knots festival was a nice way to lighten up the end of the day. Went to see a newer band called Car Seat Headrest. Their new album is fantastic. The leader of the band is 23, and writes very clever lyrics and good songs.

Big fan of Car Seat Headrest - their new single, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales is my current favorite new song, although it helps to be a fan of indier-slacker pop to really get into it (a la Pavement).

Big fan of Car Seat Headrest - their new single, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales is my current favorite new song, although it helps to be a fan of indier-slacker pop to really get into it (a la Pavement).

I know Pavement and the Strokes are big influences on Car Seat Headrest, and critics draw a lot of comparisons. I never got into Pavement and can't stand the Strokes. Maybe I have to go back and give Pavement another listen. The new song by the Strokes is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I know Pavement and the Strokes are big influences on Car Seat Headrest, and critics draw a lot of comparisons. I never got into Pavement and can't stand the Strokes. Maybe I have to go back and give Pavement another listen. The new song by the Strokes is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Try these two Pavement songs, if you like CSH - you can certainly hear a fair amount of similarity. Smart, ironic lyrics, often quiet songs with bursts of distorted, discordant guitars, and those detached, but plaintive vocals. And the Strokes first album is easily in my top 5 albums of the 2000s - hard not to like that disc, IMO. The new stuff is underwhelming.

Looking to go July 9 for the 4 Knots music festival.
Will also plan a trip to the 911 Memorial Museum.
Any suggestions for things to see, restaurants, etc? Not looking for anything fancy or expensive.

Strongly considering driving in from Monmouth County through Staten Island/Brooklyn then Battery Tunnel. Found cheap parking for the day on Pearl Street for $10.

Could take the Ferry in from Highlands, which I am well familiar with, but with limited schedule on way home and high cost with 4 passengers, thinking car is best option on a weekend. I have no problem driving into NYC.
I would add a Ferry ride over to Governor's Island.

I had to laugh when this was suggested as a place to go after you said the whole family was going. Glad you liked.

Ladder 3 is right around the corner from 5 Engine and I can say with great confidence that all of the guys who were lost that day from there were the type all of you would have loved to have at your tailgates.

You just have to make sure you had enough for them to eat and drink as those were some very B1G dudes. And maybe an extra pair of pants because they would have you laughing so hard you'd probably pee your pants. LOL

Reactions: RU22
Yes it is. Good call.

Pretty good reptile house.
Check the turtles.See if Lizzie and Peter are still there. We donated them back in 1954.My Mother had gotten them to replace me when I went off to Service in 1944. They were half dollar size when Mom got them and at least 4-5 inches in Diameter when we donated them.Note Bene: It took TWO turtles to replace me.

I had to laugh when this was suggested as a place to go after you said the whole family was going. Glad you liked.

Ladder 3 is right around the corner from 5 Engine and I can say with great confidence that all of the guys who were lost that day from there were the type all of you would have loved to have at your tailgates.

You just have to make sure you had enough for them to eat and drink as those were some very B1G dudes. And maybe an extra pair of pants because they would have you laughing so hard you'd probably pee your pants. LOL

The quality of the food outweighed the ambiance of the place. Or maybe the Ambien contributed to the Ambience! We like a good laugh in our house. There were a lot of "nice" messages on the ceiling too--many of them from firefighters. I was laughing pretty hard.

I had not been to Lower Manhattan since August 2001. I did not have a reason to go, and even thought I did not personally know anyone who died on 9/11, seeing Ladder 3 and 5 Engine demolished hit me hard. Paul Keating's (Ladder 5) boots and gloves were given to Spring Lake Goodwill, where I was a member from the late 1990's to early 2000's. Paulie knew a lot of the firefighters at Goodwill, and we were honored to receive the gift from his family. It was very strange-- when we were standing at the wall where the missing posters where randomly flashed on the wall-- the first one that flashed up was Paulie's poster. It's nice you have such good memories of your colleagues. Sounds like a great bunch of guys.

To be honest, I never thought about the ambience and I should have mentioned it. It use to be located at the end of the street close to the Brooklyn Bridge and they had a great courtyard to hangout. I have worked in the area a long time and it is a good value especially for that area. It is probably a better choice for an softball team looking to down beers. Maybe Engine 5, will join me for a beer!

The quality of the food outweighed the ambiance of the place. Or maybe the Ambien contributed to the Ambience! We like a good laugh in our house. There were a lot of "nice" messages on the ceiling too--many of them from firefighters. I was laughing pretty hard.
Since a lot of tests for promotion are held at Murry Bergtraum HS (which is in the neighborhood) many guys go to Jeremy's afterwards to celebrate or drown their sorrows. It is also near City Hall where Medal Day takes place so you can imagine what it's like on that day.

I had not been to Lower Manhattan since August 2001. I did not have a reason to go, and even thought I did not personally know anyone who died on 9/11, seeing Ladder 3 and 5 Engine demolished hit me hard. Paul Keating's (Ladder 5) boots and gloves were given to Spring Lake Goodwill, where I was a member from the late 1990's to early 2000's. Paulie knew a lot of the firefighters at Goodwill, and we were honored to receive the gift from his family. It was very strange-- when we were standing at the wall where the missing posters where randomly flashed on the wall-- the first one that flashed up was Paulie's poster. It's nice you have such good memories of your colleagues. Sounds like a great bunch of guys.
He was a cousin on my wife's side.

Never really met him as I was on the east side and Ladder 5 is on west side in Greenwich Village.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT