ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saturday Weather: Union/Middlesex area.. rain?

Sep 11, 2006
Calling all weather nerds.. I am seeing different estimates of rain possibilities for Saturday.. first it showed thuderstorm chances pretty much all day.. now I am seeing some variance.

What's your best bet for midday, say in Scotch Plains area? Thanks.

add me to the list...ground is finally drying and now good chance of an inch in central, west? Seeing mid morning and then party time! (4pm frack!)...guess another 24 hrs will be key.

Where the hell is @RU848789 ?
Preparing a weather note for friends who run Metuchen's Metfest Arts Festival on Saturday, lol. Really, really, really, tricky forecast right now. For a couple of days, Saturday has been looking like a fairly rainy/showery day with some t-storms, as a front stalls over the area. However, today's models showed the front nudging just a bit further south early Saturday, meaning the chances of rain/showers look to be mostly confined to south of maybe 195 during most of Saturday.

Doesn't mean a stray shower or two might not hit areas north of there, but not looking like the 1/4-1/2" or more of rain that could fall south of 195 and especially south of about Philly to LBI. On the flip side, we're still 36 hours away, so the forecast still has enough uncertainty in it that the front could still end up being 25-50 miles further north bringing substantial rains to CNJ and maybe NNJ. This is likely to not be a solid forecast until tomorrow evening.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Preparing a weather note for friends who run Metuchen's Metfest Arts Festival on Saturday, lol. Really, really, really, tricky forecast right now. For a couple of days, Saturday has been looking like a fairly rainy/showery day with some t-storms, as a front stalls over the area. However, today's models showed the front nudging just a bit further south early Saturday, meaning the chances of rain/showers look to be mostly confined to south of maybe 195 during most of Saturday.

Doesn't mean a stray shower or two might not hit areas north of there, but not looking like the 1/4-1/2" or more of rain that could fall south of 195 and especially south of about Philly to LBI. On the flip side, we're still 36 hours away, so the forecast still has enough uncertainty in it that the front could still end up being 25-50 miles further north bringing substantial rains to CNJ and maybe NNJ. This is likely to not be a solid forecast until tomorrow evening.

What does Amy Freeze have to say? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

its alot tougher to pinpoint scattered storms than it is for snow events
We will convert him to being a fan of Amy. :fistbump:

Good news – the trend towards the front progressing further south continued in last night’s and today’s model runs, such that, now, no major global or mesoscale (regional/short-term) model is showing any appreciable (>0.1”) precip during the day on Saturday, through at least early Sunday morning. One model shows maybe 0.05” of rain for Metuchen in the evening and every other model shows it being completely dry. So, the actual forecast is for warm (high near 80F) and dry, with partly cloudy skies and comfortable humidity levels.

There is still expected to be some rain/showers south of a Philly to LBI line, but even that is looking light – need to go down to Baltimore to Cape May to get appreciable rain. And there’s always a chance of a brief stray light shower or two (<0.05” of rain, which is nuisance level) and a very small risk of a little thunder/lightning, but I see no reason to postpone the event based on the forecast.

And, fyi, the NWS will very likely be saying the same things at 4 pm, as they’re looking at the same models as I am. It’s not complicated when they all show a similar outcome – they earn their money when there is model mayhem. Below is the most recent hourly weather graphic from the NWS for Metuchen, which is from this morning – they’ll update it around 4 pm, but I expect it might show even less chance of rain tomorrow.

By the way, if you're not familiar with MetFest and are looking for something to do tomorrow, give it a whirl. It's an all day event with Main St. and New St. being closed off and artists setting up shop all over the place and a couple of stages of musicians/bands showing music much of the day (from noon to 10 pm). And the restaurants/bars will all be offering specials - there will even be outdoor areas cordoned off for people drinking next to Hailey's and Novita.

34815549_10214026548331805_8152154562703130624_n.jpg

Good news – the trend towards the front progressing further south continued in last night’s and today’s model runs, such that, now, no major global or mesoscale (regional/short-term) model is showing any appreciable (>0.1”) precip during the day on Saturday, through at least early Sunday morning. One model shows maybe 0.05” of rain for Metuchen in the evening and every other model shows it being completely dry. So, the actual forecast is for warm (high near 80F) and dry, with partly cloudy skies and comfortable humidity levels.

There is still expected to be some rain/showers south of a Philly to LBI line, but even that is looking light – need to go down to Baltimore to Cape May to get appreciable rain. And there’s always a chance of a brief stray light shower or two (<0.05” of rain, which is nuisance level) and a very small risk of a little thunder/lightning, but I see no reason to postpone the event based on the forecast.

And, fyi, the NWS will very likely be saying the same things at 4 pm, as they’re looking at the same models as I am. It’s not complicated when they all show a similar outcome – they earn their money when there is model mayhem. Below is the most recent hourly weather graphic from the NWS for Metuchen, which is from this morning – they’ll update it around 4 pm, but I expect it might show even less chance of rain tomorrow.

By the way, if you're not familiar with MetFest and are looking for something to do tomorrow, give it a whirl. It's an all day event with Main St. and New St. being closed off and artists setting up shop all over the place and a couple of stages of musicians/bands showing music much of the day (from noon to 10 pm). And the restaurants/bars will all be offering specials - there will even be outdoor areas cordoned off for people drinking next to Hailey's and Novita.

34815549_10214026548331805_8152154562703130624_n.jpg

As expected, the NWS decreased precip chances in their 4 pm update, based on today's models...looking very good for tomorrow...

34788668_10214027293750440_1215271269964972032_n.jpg

Perfect day.. well done RU#s.

And to RULoyal and weatherunderground fans (I am one)... when I asked about this day.. it was because I heard different things.. and wunder site had it raining all day. That was Wednesday for a Saturday forecast.. it should be more accurate by 3 days out.. I would have hoped. That's why I asked someone who may look at the sources that a place like weatherunderground uses..

Perfect day.. well done RU#s.

And to RULoyal and weatherunderground fans (I am one)... when I asked about this day.. it was because I heard different things.. and wunder site had it raining all day. That was Wednesday for a Saturday forecast.. it should be more accurate by 3 days out.. I would have hoped. That's why I asked someone who may look at the sources that a place like weatherunderground uses..
Just for the record, you made your post at 8pm on Wednesday. I looked at Weather Underground at ~10:45pm and it said dry from 9am - 6pm with increasing chance of rain after 6. RU #s made his first post Thursday night at 10pm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT