ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Scout Team All American"

RUPsyched

All Conference
Gold Member
May 28, 2010
For you coaches out there, what do you do when a kid on your scout team doesn't do what he is instructed and tries to make the play every time? I should add that your team needs to maintain the roster as it is small to begin with.

After other coaches told my son that there is not much he can do about "Scout Team All Americans", he came up with the idea to always place the kid away from the play. If the kid doesn't line up where he is instructed and if talking doesn't help, there is really nothing more my son can do do other than sit him and let him quit.

There are ways to impress when relegated to the B-Team Bombers. And they all include following instructions.

In high school we had a "special ed" player who always tackled the backs carrying the ball in a fumble drill - a drill where two facing rows of players grab at the ball as it goes by - tackling wasn't part of the drill.

Player's friends described him as "simple."
We just rolled with him, and he eventually broke an opposing all-county QB's collar bone and we won the game
Maybe your player is a little off .
Does he make plays?

What do you do?

You tell the kid to get an agent and screenwriter and make “Rudy 2” 🙂

Obviously the kid wants to play but can't or won't follow instructions. Explain to him what his role is and EXACTLY what he needs to do. Make it clear to him that if he doesn't do what you ask he has to sit. Then if you have to, sit him. Make sure you give him recognition when he does the right thing. Try to find something positive to recognize in what he does that day.
I had a rule that each kid had to stop in my office and say goodbye as they were leaving practice. My excuse was so I knew that they had left the gym just in case something happened but really this way it made me make sure that I spoke to each player individually even if it was only for 10 seconds each day. Kids want recognition more than anything else.

**order a code red..
weve-got-a-code-red-the-black-hokage.gif

(**this post is not to be taken seriously and is not suggesting getting other players to harm or hurt the feelings of the Scout Team All-American... it is only a joke.. in fact, please take this post as offering advice to NOT do that.. under any circumstances).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT