ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Significant Icing Risk for NW of 95/N of 78 Mon night/Tues, 2/16; (also info on minor event for 2/13-2/14 w/high uncertainty on freezing rain)

Should I open up the valves to my 2 hoses? I always shut them off for the winter, one is near the back or the house and the other is near the front of the house. I also turn the lever's to the off position - not sure why I do this, imagine someone told me to once we bought the house
For outdoor hoses, what you're supposed to do is leave the valve outside the house fully open (with no hose connected to it), but close the last valve inside the house leading to the hose line, while it's above freezing in the fall - in this way the water in that section of the line should drain somewhat leaving the line not completely full, such that if it freezes in the winter, there's no impact.

Reactions: Section124
Depends on your forecaster. Here's what I published 1230 yesterday.
John Cifelli's #NJWX
Good call. That's basically what I was saying after seeing the 12Z models yesterday, but I won't wait for any credit from the usual cast of characters. Was still very surprised the NWS kept advisories along 95 and warnings just NW of 95 and even kept them after the event started.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Good call. That's basically what I was saying after seeing the 12Z models yesterday, but I won't wait for any credit from the usual cast of characters. Was still very surprised the NWS kept advisories along 95 and warnings just NW of 95 and even kept them after the event started.
Once they out them up, it'd be suicide to cancel if there was even a remote chance of it verifying. Cancelling an ice advisory and then having people slipping and falling would be the worst case scenario. I think the public is pretty forgiving of a busted ice forecast. That said, I don't think they should've been hoisted south of 78 in the first place.

Once they out them up, it'd be suicide to cancel if there was even a remote chance of it verifying. Cancelling an ice advisory and then having people slipping and falling would be the worst case scenario. I think the public is pretty forgiving of a busted ice forecast. That said, I don't think they should've been hoisted south of 78 in the first place.

Agreed on not pulling them once issued, without absolutely convincing evidence, but even on Sunday afternoon when they went up, it was pretty clear that the models weren't showing much ZR along 95 and not showing 1/4" of ice for counties south of 78. They could've easily gone with advisories for NW Chester through Somerset to convey some risk and easily not issued advisories for counties SE of 95 that early.

What ? Not a baseball fan ? By the way plenty of ice to watch melt in New Jersey. On the building I live in there is a 14 foot ice icicle .

No. Never have been. It bored me when I played it and it bores me even more now to watch. I know a lot of people love it though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT